It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

347:4
A unanimous decision it seems, we shall thus have national healthcare.
==== Overview ====
Civil Rights: Excellent (71)
Economy: Reasonable (34)
Political Freedoms: Excellent (72)

The Free Land of Gogan is a massive, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Doctor Marcin with a fair hand, and notable for its anti-smoking policies. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 2.296 billion are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it devotes most of its attentions to Education, with areas such as Religion & Spirituality and Defence receiving almost no funds by comparison. The average income tax rate is 65%, and even higher for the wealthy. A large private sector is dominated by the Book Publishing industry.

Long arduous trials are held for the most trivial of offences, the military frequently holds bake sales to raise funds, the nation is constantly threatened with invasion but at least homosexuality in the military isn't a problem, and anti-government web sites are springing up. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Gogan's national animal is the Goglodyte, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the Gog.

Gogan is ranked 1,710th in The North Pacific and 51,463rd in the world for Highest Police Ratios, scoring 26 on the Orwell Orderliness Index.

==== Issues ====
No changes in the overview (except the daily ranking line, population count and inherent randomness of statements), due to dismissing the issue last time.

Nazi Sympathizers Plan Rally (issue 348) (#22)
Far-right-wing Nazi supporters plan to stage a rally in the city center tomorrow, giving voice to their violent, racist views.

1. "Frankly, I'm appalled that the government can even consider allowing this travesty to go ahead," says prominent Jewish personality Hillary Li. "We can't let these animals broadcast their message of hate. Surely Gogan is too civilized for that."

2. "It's exactly because we're civilized that we must let the demonstration proceed," says free speech campaigner Wil Han. "We may not like what they have to say, but in this society, people have the right to argue whatever political view they want, no matter how hateful, selfish, or stupid it is."

==== Public announcement ====
348: 2

As much as I hate Nazis and every form of racism, fascism and anti-semitism, I think we shouldn't forbid their rally. Freedom of speech should be there for everyone. Of course that doesn't mean we have to let them march undisturbed. I hope for broad resistance and lots of counter-demonstrations by Gogan's more intelligent population.
348: 1
348:2
348:1
348:2 I went to school in Ann Arbor, Michigan and at the time they would annually have this occur. All it seemed to do was gather people to protest them. Their words were their own worst enemy.
PaterAlf: As much as I hate Nazis and every form of racism, fascism and anti-semitism, I think we shouldn't forbid their rally. Freedom of speech should be there for everyone. Of course that doesn't mean we have to let them march undisturbed. I hope for broad resistance and lots of counter-demonstrations by Gogan's more intelligent population.
This

PaterAlf: As much as I hate Nazis and every form of racism, fascism and anti-semitism, I think we shouldn't forbid their rally. Freedom of speech should be there for everyone. Of course that doesn't mean we have to let them march undisturbed. I hope for broad resistance and lots of counter-demonstrations by Gogan's more intelligent population.
DeMignon: This

Seconded.

348: 2 - agree with the above sentiments; we can even organize a peace rally next door :)
PaterAlf: 348: 2

As much as I hate Nazis and every form of racism, fascism and anti-semitism, I think we shouldn't forbid their rally. Freedom of speech should be there for everyone. Of course that doesn't mean we have to let them march undisturbed. I hope for broad resistance and lots of counter-demonstrations by Gogan's more intelligent population.
I had to ponder this a bit, but after looking up how legislation in that matter works in Germany, I have to agree. Police needs to be vigilant for any violations of law, perhaps more so with this group than at demonstrations where less extreme political views are conveyed.

With less than 20% of the population believing we should limit free speech, the nazi sympathiser rally will be allowed.
Post edited May 11, 2014 by Maighstir