It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Intriguing releases, important updates, and GWENT!

Perhaps you were mostly paying attention to the 1000+ smashing deals on offer. Or were too busy collecting XP to unlock those excellent freebies. Maybe you have a malfunctioning mouse wheel and scrolling all the way to the bottom of the page was a bit of a pain.

Well, don't fret!

We collected the unmissable things that you may have missed during all the excitement of the Summer Sale and pinned them on this here notice board. Come take a look, you won't regret it.

- Did you hear? The Witcher's favorite pastime, <span class="bold">GWENT</span>, is now becoming a standalone game that you can play both competitively and as a single-player campaign. Don't dally, beta signups are now open!
- A few days into the Summer Sale we got hacked! By a blue-haired girl who goes by the name of <span class="bold">Dex</span>. But she did leave an awesome side-scrolling action/adventure behind, so we are not that inclined to hold it against her.
- <span class="bold">Ori and the Blind Forest</span>, the magical platformer of impossible beauty, visited us the other day. It was all kinds of lovely.
- Among the big releases happening left and right, <span class="bold">Defender's Quest</span> sneaked in a pretty big free update, surprising fans and sceptics alike with its delux-ified features.
- <span class="bold">Dreamfall Chapters</span> came to its emotional end with Book 5: REDUX and there wasn't a dry eye to be found.
- But the <span class="bold">NECROPOLIS</span> pre-order immediately helped lighten the mood, with its whacky approach to unforgiving dungeon-crawling.

So, what was your favorite GOG new release during the Summer Sale? Did you get to play it yet?
Post edited June 22, 2016 by maladr0Id
So I bought like every game on the site. expect for the lucasarts games which should be abandonware since the company is bought by disney....Do I get a teeshirt or something?I didnt get the point of getting XP points for just three games...?thats why im upset... I understand that buying games was my choice (i got like 50 new games for like 200 dollars)but i feel like you should of took this to a new level (no pun intended.).. I feel like you can use the XP points to unlock new releases in the future.
I'm glad you have this recap. It's easy for things to get lost in the hustle and bustle of sales.
skeletonbow: Yeah, that's the impression that I get too, is that some people want GOG to say "screw the law" and sell games everywhere either because they think there are zero consequences or because they simply don't care what consequences GOG might face as long as they can get what they themselves want - the games.
It has been explained over and over and over again, but once again for you: It's not against the law in Germany to sell these games as long as you don't sell them to minors and as long as you don't openly advertise them. So GOG could introduce optional age verification (like PostID or GiroPay-ID) and they could sell them to Germans just fine.

The reason why they don't do it is probably that it costs some money and some work is involved. And maybe they just simply don't give a fuck. Their lame excuse is: You can't buy the games at Steam as well, so why should it be any different here.

And the fact that repeatedly stated that it is against the German law (which is not true) is more or less proof that they don't really care about that matter and that they don't want to be bothered with the problem.
My favorite recent releases - Broforce and Dex.
skeletonbow: What is it that people want? GOG to follow the law and succeed as a business? Or do people want GOG to not give a shit about the law, violate the law with some Robinhood "fuck German law" mentality and pay dearly for it later on, but make all their German customers pat them on the back?
Yes, that is what I want. I want them to be a polish store where I can buy everything like they have been for many years. I don't want them to put up a german storefront where they have to comply with our shitty censorship laws.
And how would they pay "dearly" later on. You think Germany can make some other countries stores comply with german laws? No, the only reason that they have to is because they put up the german storefront.

And yes I have been voting to change this shit, but it will take a year more, or so, I calculate. Maybe 50.
Great sale didn't miss many that i was after.

" So, what was your favorite GOG new release during the Summer Sale? Did you get to play it yet? "

No fave, once Necropolis unlock i can try it, looking forward to that.

" Maybe you have a malfunctioning mouse wheel and scrolling all the way to the bottom of the page was a bit of a pain."
You could in future sales make the layout much simpler, or at the least hide the games we own...
That would be much appreciated.
NuffCatnip: Where is that surprise the gog staff was talking about?
The release of The Elder Scrolls Oblivion? Coming soon! :)
PaterAlf: It has been explained over and over and over again, but once again for you: It's not against the law in Germany to sell these games as long as you don't sell them to minors and as long as you don't openly advertise them. So GOG could introduce optional age verification (like PostID or GiroPay-ID) and they could sell them to Germans just fine.

The reason why they don't do it is probably that it costs some money and some work is involved. And maybe they just simply don't give a fuck. Their lame excuse is: You can't buy the games at Steam as well, so why should it be any different here.

And the fact that repeatedly stated that it is against the German law (which is not true) is more or less proof that they don't really care about that matter and that they don't want to be bothered with the problem.
I'm really not buying that explanation because I don't think GOG would throw away sales opportunities simply because they "don't care about Germans". Perhaps some German and Polish people have some problem with each other that they might think this way that a company would make hostile decisions to screw over another country or something, perhaps over shit that happened like 70 years ago, but I don't buy it.

If GOG could easily and legally do this, the money they would make in return would most likely more than recover any costs it took in money and manpower to make it happen and then some. I don't think they would just blindly ignore lost sales like this and act like they don't care.

IMHO, people just have highly emotional reactions over stuff like this when things don't turn out the way that they would like, then burn the witch out of the desire to put blame on someone.
Post edited June 23, 2016 by skeletonbow
I notice everything Gog.

Especially Planetbase.
First Things First: My God, that was one great Sale :)

My favorite Release was : DEX ----> I can't get enough of Cyberpunk Games ;)
Bought it, downloaded it and got lost in Cyberspace. My My what a brilliant Game
Dex is indeed very awesome!
chriss1418: GOG forgot one item on the notice board.

The biggest rollout of region-lock in GOG history.

Over 30 games are newly locked for germans.

Yeah to that. Realy cool.
skeletonbow: Let me ask you this: By region locking games so that Germans can not buy them, what motivation for doing so do you think GOG has knowing that this will result in both lost sales and upset some of the German customers? What reason do you thing GOG would have to do this knowing that they will lose sales?

The reason I ask these questions is because over time I have frequently seen people both in Germany and outside of Germany get really upset and angry at GOG over this, but they almost always think that GOG has some beef with Germans as if GOG does not want German people to spend money in the store and are trying to aggressively single out Germans and make them angry.

That makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever. It would be very bad business sense, could only ever upset some customers and produces almost no benefit to GOG selling more games and growing their business. So why would GOG do this then if it obviously is going to upset customers and lose sales? Do people think this is a form of racism or something? Get serious.

The only reason why a store would put regional restrictions on games, movies or anything else which would then result in both lost sales, some upset customers and absolutely nothing beneficial to making money and growing business - is because the decision to do it is not up to them. They're either forced to do it because of German laws or because the publishers of the games are requiring them to do it, and the only reason I can think of for a publisher to require them to do it would also be because of German law.

GOG does not write the laws in Germany, but doing business in Germany they're going to have to follow German law, and if German law bans certain games or other products from sale in Germany then any company doing business in Germany is going to have to follow the law and not sell those games in Germany, or they very well could end up being taken to court or barred from doing business in Germany at all.

And for those people who think "Why is it a problem all of a sudden when it wasn't a problem last month or last year" or whatever, well there are several answers to that. One is that laws change over time, lists of censored/banned products change over time and things could be added or removed at any time. The second is that they very well may have previously not been in compliance with German law inadvertently or out of carelessness or simply not realizing it. As a company grows, these kind of legal issues as well as copyright issues and other legal matters become increasingly important. Small companies can get away with inadvertently not following laws/rules to a certain extent when they're small enough that nobody even knows they're doing it (even themselves), but the bigger a company gets the more visible they get, and if they are not properly following the laws of a country they're doing business in then they're going to find themselves sued eventually. But they're also not going to come right out and say "we made these changes because before we were not following the law but we realized we need to do this to be in compliance now" because well - that would be publicly admitting to previously breaking the law - not something you really want to air in public.

The bottom line is that people getting pissed off at GOG over this topic have completely misguided anger/rage. Get pissed off at your own politicians and laws, and call upon your elected officials to change the laws, it has absolutely nothing to do with GOG, and there is absolutely nothing that GOG can do about it other than either follow the law and avoid the potential to get sued or banned from doing business in Germany, or to knowingly say "fuckit" and break the law and wave their noses at German law, and eventually get slapped with massive fines or other legal consequences which could include being banned entirely from Germany.

What is it that people want? GOG to follow the law and succeed as a business? Or do people want GOG to not give a shit about the law, violate the law with some Robinhood "fuck German law" mentality and pay dearly for it later on, but make all their German customers pat them on the back?

Seriously, if Germans want a revolution with regards to censorship, GOG is a game company, not a political revolutionary. Go out and vote and leave GOG out of the political debates. The same goes for censorship/banning in any other country in the world, it is the job of the citizen and the government to sort this crap out, not businesses in Poland trying to make a living selling games.

</dose of reality>
It may be the agreement with the developer as to why games never go on sale in Germany and possibly other countries. I agree that if I were in Germany that I would be mad if the Summer Sale was not available or very restricted for me.
I appreciated most the free games for XP. One of the sale games I bought was Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb. I played a demo of that back in the day but didn't actually get to play it and its been great so far. One that I did play was Infernal Machine and hope it comes to GOG as well. I also purchased a gog from my youth(N64&PC) Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire. I look forward to sharing this game with my nephew.
PaterAlf: The reason why they don't do it is probably that it costs some money and some work is involved. And maybe they just simply don't give a fuck. Their lame excuse is: You can't buy the games at Steam as well, so why should it be any different here.

Just to chime in a bit on the blocked games discussion here, and since I actually am from Germany this is a concern to me. The thing is, while there might be a way to do a proper age verification - does it business-wise make any sort of sense to implement this? There is a considerable amount of time and effort you would have to dedicate to that particular issue.
The games that have been (or are about to) be region blocked are mostly old games that are sold for a buck and a half - chances are if you really wanted to obtain them, you have already done so, so the potential loss of revenue is miniscule.

So we're talking mostly new releases here. Not advertising them is a pretty big bummer in that regard - since as a German, I shouldn't even know a particular (indexed) game has been released here, Gog isn't actually allowed to tell me so. This is not a big problem while buying in a physical games store, since you can just ask the clerk to show you the "under the table" games, there won't be some spooky government official looking over your shoulder and reprimanding you.
In a digital store, this would constitute a problem. Just because I'm older than eighteen does not remove the advertising ban, so there would have to be a way for me to ask "Do you have this particular game? Great! I shall buy it at once." How many games would even fall under that restriction? Maybe 1 in a 100 (and that's probably being very generous). And how many Germans would actually buy this game on release for full price? Not that many, would be my guess.
So, while I would be very happy to see Gog finding a way to sell indexed games (preferably without getting themselves on some blacklist or other ;) ), I'm not really holding my breath.
question the image on the topic before you get to the comments ( a bar with sci fi patrons) where is if from what game?
what art? artist name?
thanks a lot if you awnser any of this thanks
Why'd you guys have to hide the experience page in such a footnote-ish place?
Post edited June 23, 2016 by rstarphoenix