It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

HiddenAsbestos: Hey man, thanks!

I've been using it most recently on my tablet for Elminage Gothic. The one-shot map scrolls in that game are good, but using Grid Cartographer you get to keep the map visible all the time and quickly add convenient annotations as you go.

If I wasn't such a wuss about spiders I might try to finish Grimrock with it as personally I do find making my own map as I go (regardless of whether it's on paper or digitally) more rewarding than an auto-map. I don't know why, but I feel a greater sense of spatial awareness and immersion if I've drawn the walls myself.
Oh, I agree. Making your own maps is a much more rewarding and immersive experience. I'm just old and tired and starved for time. :) Great product, and I hope you get rich!
After the enter-local-keyboard-layout took much more time and work than I thought, I feel kind of bad to suggest even more.

Some time ago I mapped the first game in "Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei". This game has no ground floor (like in the US, I think) which could be confusing to map sometimes especially the parts of the dungeon that reach from F8 to B2.
It would be nice to have a "Ground Floor / No Ground Floor" option or to be able to rename the floors like with regions.

Currently I'm playing "Breath of Fire" and while I don't map the dungeons (expect a rough sketch for some parts) I map the overworld. Because of caves I sometimes have no point of reference where to start mapping a new continent and when I, often hours later, find a point I have to move big parts of the map.
This would be much easier if I could select the parts even over the edge of the screen. I would draw the select box, move the screen and than select a corner of the box to increase the size. Like increasing the drawable ground in Paint.
Another usefull ability would be to select an area thats not rectangular. Drawing the selection line around the mapped area to move it in one go. Like the western landmass of the attached image.
Attachments:
Dotur: After the enter-local-keyboard-layout took much more time and work than I thought, I feel kind of bad to suggest even more.

Some time ago I mapped the first game in "Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei". This game has no ground floor (like in the US, I think) which could be confusing to map sometimes especially the parts of the dungeon that reach from F8 to B2.
It would be nice to have a "Ground Floor / No Ground Floor" option or to be able to rename the floors like with regions.

Currently I'm playing "Breath of Fire" and while I don't map the dungeons (expect a rough sketch for some parts) I map the overworld. Because of caves I sometimes have no point of reference where to start mapping a new continent and when I, often hours later, find a point I have to move big parts of the map.
This would be much easier if I could select the parts even over the edge of the screen. I would draw the select box, move the screen and than select a corner of the box to increase the size. Like increasing the drawable ground in Paint.
Another usefull ability would be to select an area thats not rectangular. Drawing the selection line around the mapped area to move it in one go. Like the western landmass of the attached image.
Don't feel bad making suggestions - it doesn't hurt to ask :-) I'm actually starting to put together a list of bigger changes for v3 (which I aim to release next year) and so every idea is welcome. That's not to say I'm done with v2, there will probably be a couple more releases yet. There are still quite a few smaller things and 'loose ends' I'd like to wrap up first before I begin on any more significant changes.
Post edited October 20, 2014 by HiddenAsbestos
Grid Cartographer v2.1.0 is now available! The focus of this release is to improve the image export capabilities.

Great news for role-players : Exported maps can now be used on Roll20 using the new 70 pixel grid size. Additionally I've brought back XML export for maps which turns Grid Cartographer once again into a game development tool. Finally I've fixed a number of issues such as labels getting cropped in image exports and being harder to select than they needed to be.

Download Here
Fantastic news! Thanks David!
Finally upgraded my license to v2. Now to try all the new features. I'll be using Grid Cart for a post-apoc game on Tuesday.
David, is there a way to export images so that each square scales to 1'x1' or 1cm x 1cm? Not a big issue since I can re-scale it in Photoshop myself, but it's just something that would add extra convenience.
Post edited November 16, 2014 by lowyhong
lowyhong: Finally upgraded my license to v2. Now to try all the new features. I'll be using Grid Cart for a post-apoc game on Tuesday.
David, is there a way to export images so that each square scales to 1'x1' or 1cm x 1cm? Not a big issue since I can re-scale it in Photoshop myself, but it's just something that would add extra convenience.
Hey, thanks for the support :-) There isn't an export to imperial or metric size option I'm afraid, I've left that part up to the user as converting from pixels will depend on things like the printer driver you're using etc. and I don't want to go down that rabbit hole (especially with three other platforms to support). Apologies for the inconvenience but I think PS will do a better job for you. Hope your game goes well :-)
HiddenAsbestos: Hey, thanks for the support :-) There isn't an export to imperial or metric size option I'm afraid, I've left that part up to the user as converting from pixels will depend on things like the printer driver you're using etc. and I don't want to go down that rabbit hole (especially with three other platforms to support). Apologies for the inconvenience but I think PS will do a better job for you. Hope your game goes well :-)
Np. Thanks again for the updates :D
Grid Cartographer v2.1.1 is now available http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/?aim=dl

This twelfth update of GC focuses on wrapping up some loose ends and fixing several bugs before version 3 development begins. As such it's the last update I have planned for the v2.x series (although I'm not discounting bug fix releases should something major crop up, so do report any issues you find). I'm very excited about v3 and hope to start revealing further information about it soon!

I also just want to add a big thank you to everyone who has supported this project in any way since I released it all the way back in June 2013 to today and beyond. Thanks!
HiddenAsbestos: Grid Cartographer v2.1.1 is now available http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/?aim=dl

This twelfth update of GC focuses on wrapping up some loose ends and fixing several bugs before version 3 development begins. As such it's the last update I have planned for the v2.x series (although I'm not discounting bug fix releases should something major crop up, so do report any issues you find). I'm very excited about v3 and hope to start revealing further information about it soon!

I also just want to add a big thank you to everyone who has supported this project in any way since I released it all the way back in June 2013 to today and beyond. Thanks!
This is awesome! So happy to see that you are still making progress on this. I haven't been able to play much, but I am looking forward to finally getting back into it and using this software along with it!
I'm looking forward to v3. It's quite interesting to see the program evolve from "barely working" to "unthinkable to map a game without it".
The only downside I can think of: Take a look at the attached image... isn't that a kind of stalking?
Attachments:
grid.jpg (111 Kb)
Dotur: I'm looking forward to v3. It's quite interesting to see the program evolve from "barely working" to "unthinkable to map a game without it".
The only downside I can think of: Take a look at the attached image... isn't that a kind of stalking?
haha, you worried me for a second before I clicked that ;-) Thanks for the kind words, and yeah it's scary how far it's come along since v1.0!
I've started a development log for Grid Cartographer v3

Follow along and feel free to ask questions! Now's a great time to make requests :)
Post edited January 25, 2015 by HiddenAsbestos
Added a few more things to v3 this weekend that might be interesting / useful to cRPG players:

* "RMB eraser" - you can setup the right mouse button to work as a quick-access eraser.
* "No ground floor" - for games that use the US convention (or so wikipedia tells me) of floor 1 being at street level you can now create maps that omit the ground floor and descend straight into basement 1.
* "Per-region grid setup" - games like Might and Magic which have a large overworld map and several smaller dungeon maps can now benefit from region independent grid setups.

More hexagons this week and if that, and testing, goes well I'll be looking at releasing v3.0 into the wild shortly after that. That's the plan anyway ;-)
Post edited February 23, 2015 by HiddenAsbestos
Here's the v3 release date and pricing announcement post:
http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1346&start=10#p1710

vvv Thanks! (old school hehe)
Post edited February 24, 2015 by HiddenAsbestos