It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Well, caught up on reading.

Re the brig: I don't think I can add anything more to the discussion that hasn't been said already. Personally if at all, I'd use it to silence the second-scummiest player (both from voting and chatting with allies). Its roleblock mechanism could be significant, but without even knowing what type of roles to expect I don't know if I'd be willing to use it for it. Sadly none of the mafia tutorials/guides seem to have anything about it.

If I were to point out my first scum-indication to make a no-random vote, it would be JoeSapphire's slightly messy post format/style (non-capitalizing; weird punctuation, purposely changing names...). Makes it that little bit harder to read, which isn't helpful to town. But I haven't seen you in the forums before, so I don't know if this is your normal posting style.
flubbucket: While I do find the brigging mechanic interesting, I'm struggling with the WIFOM aspect which could be exploited by scum...e.g. Not using night kill and then blaming it on the jailed player.

This still feels like a late game exploit which scum might use....sooooo moot??
Bookwyrm627: What WIFOM? Scum can't blame the failed NK on a brigged player. If the last scum is brigged, we win. If we go to Night with someone in the brig, then that player isn't the last scum. They might still be scum, but there has to be a free scum if we go to Night.

........<snip>...............
If a NK didn't happen it must have been because scum was brigged/blocked.

There's the WIFOM.
SirPrimalform: Well I never. The word pylon here is generally reserved for one of these.

There actually is something in that then. However, knowing flub it could as easily be "an 'ilarious joke" as it could be a "haha, I'm so clever secret scumclaim".
Well said about flub, it could go either way.

JoeSapphire: 13- zfr - mafia vibes. Or maybe just a blunt player. Seems to be shutting down convers rather than trying to expand upon it. SOMETHING TO HIDE???
Can you expand on where you see ZFR "shutting down converse"

JoeSapphire: we're 100 posts in! time for everybody to guess their best mafia team

My guess at a mafia team ZFR, Cristigale and Ele.

my I'm-damned-if-they're-a-mafia-team Vitek, Bler and Trenton.
I would be pulling names out of hat for a scum team...I feel a little better about flub, but no one has dropped below him. I am better at identifying town and reducing my POE list.

I have bler and book leaning town. I liked elebutterfly's "essay' for the most part and I agree with something bler said about Joe's tone....but I'm getting too tired now. I need to revisit from approx post #100 on with fresh eyes.
PoppyAppletree: Yes.
Bookwyrm627: Huh, not what I expected.

Considering this line from the OP: "Brigging a player does not end the day"
What happens if someone is brigged when a player already has a number of votes equal to the new majority (not counting the brigged player's vote)? Is a lynch instantly achieved?
Yes, a player who is at L-1 prior to a successful brig vote would then be lynched.

JoeSapphire: we're 100 posts in! time for everybody to guess their best mafia team
Please don't use bold text for effect, it makes vote counting more difficult.

flubbucket: Question: If I vote and then later I'm brigged, is my vote negated??
Yes.

---

New vote count after I switch to PC.
Post edited July 07, 2018 by PoppyAppletree
elebutterfly: ........<moar snip>............

flub getting in on the serious questions here... again, it's a legit question though.

{I'm travelling during the day tomorrow, be back in the GMT evening.}
I have another....

Do Legos eat their young??

Safe travels and hurry back.

cristigale: .............

Regarding flub - I remember flub used scum flavored avatars when he was scum. I can neither confirm or deny what type of avatars he uses when he is town. I know he typically changes his avatar to something game related. Like the vanilla bean...I only remembered that one when bler mentioned it because I didn't recognize what the avatar actually was until someone mentioned it after the game...and I'm not even sure what game that was. If flub was vanilla in the game with the vanilla bean, then perhaps I'm on to something. If he was scum...perhaps not.

@flubb or anyone else - do you remember which game you used the vanilla bean avatar?

Either way, I stand by placing that vote as a more than RSV.
Scum Flavored Avatars sounds like candy.....Deeders, Whanger Bangers, and Corn Poo Clusters are candy as well, I think.

I have also used Vanilla Extract.

And asking me to remember anything is just a waste.

flubbucket: I also have a Nintendo.
cristigale: Do you have Rygar? I loved the weapon in that game.

BTW, thanks for the clarification on your tagline. Is orange a good color on you? :-)
Two things: 1)Yes I do. The number of games I have is down right shameful. Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, CD, 32X, Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Wii, PS1-4 as well as PC.

Last time I saw the sun was 1975.

Orange makes me pretty.

2) Girls play video games?!?!?! #mindblown ;p

Unvote: Vitek
flubbucket: Do Legos eat their young??
Technically, it's the other way round: The old are recycled so that new Lego bricks can be made.

---

The "where's my vote count?" vote count:

Lynch:

flubbucket - 2 (cristigale, bler114)
cristigale - 2 (SirPrimalform, Vitek)
JoeSapphire - 2 (Damnation, Bookwyrm)
littlerabbit - 1 (ZFR)
trentonlf - 1 (HSL)
HSL - 1 (trentonlf)
bler114 - 1 (elebutterfly)
ZFR - 1 (JoeSapphire)

Brig:

cristigale - 1 (HSL)
littlerabbit - 1 (Bookwyrm)
Bookwyrm - 1 (Vitek)

(With 13 players alive, it takes 7 votes for a majority.)
Post edited July 07, 2018 by PoppyAppletree
Unvote littlerabbit

Vote JoeSapphire
bler144: How can Vitek be so right on so many things and yet so wrong on ziggurat? ;)
Because I secretly hate it but I also hate you all so I am suggesting it to hurt you.

ZFR: Unvote littlerabbit

Vote JoeSapphire
Why?
ZFR: Unvote littlerabbit

Vote JoeSapphire
Vitek: Why?
https://www.gog.com/forum/might_and_magic_series/walking_sound_in_might_and_magic_6_suddenly_disappeared

If I'm to make a non-random selection now, it's this.
I am confused.
Crap, wrong link pasted.

Ignore the above one, I meant this:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gog_mafia_reboot_battlestar_goglactica/post121
bler144: 1 has major flaws
2 / 4 have minor logic flaws
7 presumes a lot
Analogies are imperfect, and yes, I'm glossing over particular scenarios while trying to broadly outline the advantages.

Broadly I'm looking at the brig as a sort of lynch/tree-stumping that can be undone. It has all the dangers and advantages of a lynch, except that it doesn't reveal alignment and it can be reversed. If you had two lynches, would you use them both?

bler144: 6 & 8 are fairly contradictory, wouldn't you say?
No. Town PRs already have to work to avoid the lynch; they'll have to do the same to avoid the brig, except they aren't completely eliminated if they get brigged.

ZFR: OK, since I've never played with power roles I read up on some mafia tutorials. It surprised me how for a quite a few number of them, the strategy suggests to claim early if you're town (yet no one claimed here so far). Is it because of a non-open set up so you shouldn't claim not knowing what other powerroles are there?
There is a trade off to be weighed and made. The longer you stay alive, the more you can use your power. Scum will generally prefer to eliminate town power roles, so any claimed power role is going to be a high priority NK target. Recall all the discussion around the masons in your other mafia game.

The earlier you claim, the more likely you are to be believed town, but the sooner scum are likely to kill you to prevent your power from helping town. However, just like in MtG, individual circumstances overrule general theories.

flubbucket: If a NK didn't happen it must have been because scum was brigged/blocked.

There's the WIFOM.
Eh. If we go to Night, then we know that there is unbrigged scum. Anyone who automatically believes that no NK means scum are in the brig needs a logic readjustment.

Personally, I'd go over at the usual "Who got roleblocked/jailed/protected [by a player]" route if a NK doesn't occur, not scrutinize who was brigged.

=====

The only new thing I have is moving Vitek slightly to the town side of the Scum-O-Meter.
Bookwyrm627: ==========

So, the brig. I'm genuinely surprised so many people seem to be against it. The more I look at it, the more advantage I'm seeing for town in using it.

Ask yourself some questions:
1) Would you lynch a player on Day 1? This is kind of like a reversible lynch. Heck, if there are only two cylons, we could end the game in a Town Sweep.

2) If you were a Roleblocker, would you use it on N1? Collectively, Town is! This action does it in a verifiable manner, too; no doubts or jankyness about whether it worked. It also reminds me of some end games, where people are trying to collectively direct a player's action "Okay, so X claimed roleblocker, and if he does Y, then that means Z". We can collectively direct a roleblock, and just like voting for a lynch, people have to put their money where their mouth is when voting for it.

3) If you had a chance to slow (or stop!) scum collaboration, would you use it? There is no chance of hurting town on this point, but NOT using the brig means we have no chance of hurting scum in this area. And if scum have day chat?

4) Would you like town power roles to improve their chances of catching scum? Tracker, Watcher, Jailer, and Roleblocker all leap to mind as roles that would like to have a smaller target list. They all know a brigged player isn't going anywhere, meaning they have better odds of catching someone in the act. Certain other town roles, like the Cop or Doctor, do not have their targeting harmed by someone being in the brig.

1 - the difference between this and a lynch is that we learn nothing concrete from the brig! The very fact that there is a brig pretty much confirms the fact that there are more than two cylons. (one would have thought)

2 - collectively EVERYONE is a roleblocker. Mafia are included too! A single town roleblocker is more useful than a collective-vote roleblocker in my opinion. But having said that maybe I'm being too cautious...

3 - Maybe blocking scumchat is more powerful than I'm imagining. A mafia not being able to show the results of an investigation would be excellent. But how would we be sure? I guess we never can be that's the point...

4 - I see sense in this. I slightly doubt that a town would be given a jailer/roleblocker AND the brig though... Still it's an appealing thought.

hmm... maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea. I have awful images in my head of getting to the end game and mafia saying "ha ha ha, if you hadn't put whatsisname in the brig it would have been so much harder for us." But perhaps my imagination is too morbid. It could easily be "If you hadn't brigged whatsername on day one we might have won"... well maybe not EASILY...

JoeSapphire: low read
bler144: On first pass I read "low" as a lean scum read, and just thought it odd you had more than half the group as leaning scummy (ele/rabbit/wyrm/cristi/zfr/SPF/HSL), but you seem to actually mean "low" as either little info or a weak read? Maybe? But then how...I'm lost.

Your 4 lows appear to be cristi/ele (both on your proposed team), HSL (of two posts: RVS + power outage), and SPF. I feel like I'm missing something here.
yes, sorry I meant low read to mean 'weak read' or 'little to read'.

Cristi is on my list as a pure guess. I'm starting to convince myself that I've guessed right, but I'm very good at convincing myself. Ele I felt bad initially saying I thought she was scummy, because we're friends in real life, but I overcame my qualms by the end of the posts. I'm sure all this unclear contradictoriness is going to get me in trouble, (and I am on the most votes currently. woohoo.) but we're only just halfway through the first day. I'd be suspicious of someone who is certain and confident in their reads.

ZFR: If I were to point out my first scum-indication to make a no-random vote, it would be JoeSapphire's slightly messy post format/style (non-capitalizing; weird punctuation, purposely changing names...). Makes it that little bit harder to read, which isn't helpful to town. But I haven't seen you in the forums before, so I don't know if this is your normal posting style.
I HAVE BEEN CAPITALISING thank you VERY much!

Conversely, a perfectly presented and ordered post format might help a mafioso avoid crucial slip-ups.

I think that the reason you're voting for me isn't because of my weird punctuation (good visual gag by the way - a semicolon to divide the first point on the list, and a comma to divide 'weird punctuation'. That's exactly my sense of humour.) but rather because you're afraid since I named at least two, maybe three of your mafia team. Which one is your mafia buddy? Ele? Cristi? Both?

---

So we've got till wednesday for day one, is that right?

hum. Feel like I've forgotten something... I think that's all for now.
JoeSapphire: Conversely, a perfectly presented and ordered post format might help a mafioso avoid crucial slip-ups.
How so? A slip-up in a shoddy post might be overlooked or written off as a careless mistake. A slip-up in a well-presented post stands out more.
hmmm part of my post vanished.

In response to cristi's question:

ZFR: If being in brig doesn't change the total required for lynching then the no-vote mechanism of brig is obviously detrimental to town.

Never played a game with power roles so can't comment on the no-power mechanism.

The no-talk seems pretty useful. I was scum in the secret Hitler game and the lack of private chat killed us. But... it's just one person who'd lose chat ability.
this post is what put 'shutting down discussion' in my mind. Short sentences separated by paragraphs read as dismissive. Only answering the question and not contributing anything new had similar effect. New evidence suggests that we have differering writing styles which are perhaps grating on one-another.

MAYBE THE THING THAT I WAS FORGETTING:
No-body except cristi has even attempted to guess a scum team. I'm not asking you to get it right, but is no-one even keen to try? Just think of the accolades in the end game if you're correct! (like me).

Has there been a question asked of me that I've not answered? It may have also disappeared in copy-pasting.

I guess it's becoming urgent for us to hear more from hypersomniac and littlerabbit, I think you're our biggest lurkers. I know you've both given good reason why you can't commit right now, but bear in mind that the day ends in 4 days at the most, and we want to get something from you before then. No real pressure, though. It's just a game.

a game of MAFIA

which is SERIOUS BUSINESS