It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
BUG REPORTING: Please use http://mantis.gog.com

Always attach your logs when reporting bugs. You can find them at:
On Windows Vista or later: C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\Logs
On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\GOG.com\Galaxy\Logs
On MacOSX: /Users/Shared/GOG.com/Galaxy/Logs

---

Hi, everyone!

The Galaxy team is hard at work to bring you the Client application that will let you manage your GOG.com games library more conveniently. We’d love for the initial release experience to be as smooth and streamlined as possible for everyone, but releasing an app of this scope is no easy feat.

But before we jump in and hand out the alpha Client, we’d like to set some ground rules.

1) The key word here is ‘alpha’, which means that this is not the final app and not all functionalities are present. The purpose of this test is to evaluate the core tech in the Client on a wider set of computer configurations than what we can locally test on, so only core features are included. Below I will post a detailed list of what is present and what we plan to add in future releases.

2) Alpha also means that you can encounter some unexpected issues. If you have a metered connection (a bandwidth cap or payments per bandwidth used) or you’re currently playing and can’t afford a loss of game time, this might not be for you. In other words, if you want to avoid potential problems with the alpha Client, simply wait for the final release.

3) Please, please, please refrain from posting screenshots, reviews or first impressions, both on our forums or elsewhere, as this is not the final product and many changes will still be made.

If you’ve read all of the above proceed to the signup page: http://www.gog.com/galaxy/alpha

We will be sending out invitations in batches (along with some more info on how to install the client and report bugs), so not everyone will receive one right away.
Post edited May 02, 2015 by Destro
high rated
Hi everyone,

we've released the 0.7 version a couple of minutes ago, here's the changelog:

- Back/Forward navigation in the Store section
- Import Folder - it is now possible to import a game which is not compatible with the client, by clicking the game in the Library section and choosing ‘Import Folder’ from the More dropdown
- Startup page option - it is now possible to decide if the client should start on LIBRARY page, STORE page, or continue previous session
- Search option - you can press enter in the search field to continue searching in the Store
- Option to Show Game Folder added to MORE menu
- New sidebar sorting options (sort by name)
- External links will now be forwarded to the system browser
- Wishlist option added to the LIBRARY menu
- Community option in the STORE menu
- Forum Replies option in the ACCOUNT menu
- Option to keep saves, when uninstalling a game
- Windows: starting the client when another instance is already running should now open the running instance (rather than displaying error message)
- Improved ‘Last Played’ information, which should now show the time of the user stopped playing the game, rather than started playing the game
- Fixed uninstallation issues on Windows
- Fixed an issue which prevented using Paypal, when buying a game
- Fixed an issue which prevented from displaying Terms and Agreements when registering new account
- Fixed some issues when installing and uninstalling DLCs
- Bugfix: client will now not allow dragging elements onto its window
- Fixed memory leaks, causing to crash the application when downloading lots of games
- Fixed a bug which was causing the client to crash on exit
- Fixed an issue, which sometimes caused the client to duplicate the news on game view
Post edited May 01, 2015 by Destro
high rated
HOW TO IMPORT EXISTING GAMES INSTALLATIONS INTO GALAXY

1. For GOG games installed using installers from the last few months (so called Galaxy-compatible installers)
Click the "+" button on top of the sidebar and select "scan and import folders" - it will find all compatible games within that folder and add them to the Client.

2. For remaining GOG game INSTALLATIONS
Find the game in the Library, then click the More button and select "Manage" -> "Import folder" and point the folder selector into the folder where that game is installed.
Post edited May 01, 2015 by Destro
You guys rock!

I just started so maybe I'm missing things but I would like

1. font size options would be nice, I'm in living room and can hardly read this

2. Option to boot to offline mode with never requiring to check in once in a while

3. Game files be able to be backed up so you can install later completely offline. SOmeone mentioned this files wouldn't be installers but could you offfer Galaxy as an offline installer? Sorry I'm not a knowlegable software guy so maybe this doesn't make sense. I just like Steams and Origins ability to backup games on an external HDD but of course you have to go online to install. As is, this feels semi DRM for my tastes which I'm really paranoid about. To me DRM free is all about NEVER needing online besides the one time to only DL the game, not installs (didn't they have a big issue with that recently?)

Again, sorry if I'm way off on anything.
Post edited May 02, 2015 by ThePyramidHead
ThePyramidHead: You guys rock!

2. Option to boot to offline mode with never requiring to check in once in a while

3. Game files be able to be backed up so you can install later completely offline. SOmeone mentioned this files wouldn't be installers but could you offfer Galaxy as an offline installer? Sorry I'm not a knowlegable software guy so maybe this doesn't make sense. I just like Steams and Origins ability to backup games on an external HDD but of course you have to go online to install. As is, this feels semi DRM for my tastes which I'm really paranoid about. To me DRM free is all about NEVER needing online besides the one time to only DL the game, not installs (didn't they have a big issue with that recently?)

Why would you need a offline mode? You do know that this is a "Optional client" meaning you don't need to be online outside of for downloading the games and if you want to play multiplayer, hell after you download you don't even need to use the client at all.

Also you can download your classic GOG installers with Galaxy, they are found in the game extras(see pic)
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/Evilmonkey6669/install.png
Post edited May 02, 2015 by DCT
Anyone know how galaxy works importing BG1 and BG2 folders when those games are modded to work together? Will it break the mod and reinstall the base games? Has been a while since i installed those mods and would like to avoid doing it again unless i cant help it.
ThePyramidHead: You guys rock!

DCT: Why would you need a offline mode? You do know that this is a "Optional client" meaning you don't need to be online outside of for downloading the games and if you want to play multiplayer, hell after you download you don't even need to use the client at all.

Also you can download your classic GOG installers with Galaxy, they are found in the game extras(see pic)
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/Evilmonkey6669/install.png
Why not have an offline mode? Not a huge issue.

I know that is in the extras but that will be another completely seperate DL right?
Post edited May 02, 2015 by ThePyramidHead
When games are imported, there is not need to create launch links on desktop if they already exist there.
vsr: When games are imported, there is not need to create launch links on desktop if they already exist there.
It's a known bug, and will be fixed soon.
LynetteC: Is there any chance of getting someone to actually look at MY case please? I haven't been able to install a game for weeks now.
Destro: I'm sorry LynetteC but we've looked into it but we cannot reproduce this issue on any computer or configuration and we haven't found it in logs / bug reports beyond the two you have linked to out of few thousands of active testers. The further information you've provided also couldn't help us find any lead, meaning that it is most likely some very specific networking / config issue than a widespread bug. I'm saying this, because we do have to prioritise things and if we cannot find a solution to an oddity, we do have to get back to it later.

There will be a new update in the next few days - please be patient, maybe it will improve things. If not, as we invite more testers, maybe we will be able to isolate some factor having more people onboard.
Grargar:
Destro:
I don't know what you did Destro, but MC has now linked my case to the one logged a week later and acknowledged it exists, so thank you. :-)

However, the update has not improved matters and after 15 hours my realMyst ME install STILL hasn't completed! :-(

It seems to be even worse now,if that's possible - this install seemed to hang multiple times before getting terminally hung up on the last 24MB.

I cleared out my logs before starting this download and have uploaded them to mantis so they only contain info on the current installation.

Are there any ports that I need to open on my router's firewall that may help resolve this?
Post edited May 02, 2015 by LynetteC
LynetteC: Are there any ports that I need to open on my router's firewall that may help resolve this?
No special ports are required for Galaxy installation to work. We'll need to investigate you issue, thanks for sending the logs.
skeletonbow: I'm far more forgiving than you then... ;) Quite honestly the majority of the customer audience doesn't even have the foggiest clue what a symbolic link, a hard link, or a junction point even is and probably never will.
mvscot: You speak rationally and with an annoying amount of common sense. ;-)

However, I do expect a competent developer to be aware of symlinks and many other things that lesser programmers fall over all the time. In my experience, such lack of attention generally spells disaster for a software product. (And by disaster, I mean annoying little bugs that pop up all over the place so that you can only hope to whack a few before the next ones pop up.... :-)

EDIT: I'm willing to license my idea for a whack-a-bug mini-game for a modest fee.
Depends on what one means by competent developer of course. While I am a Linux centric developer, many devs are Windows centric and their experience is entirely within Windows culture where symlinks etc. technically exist but mainly for UNIX compatibility layer that no general end user will ever know about and many developers are equally unlikely to know about. I wouldn't consider understanding that a measure of competence however. While I would love to think that all experienced competent developers have signficant experience with Linux/UNIX I don't think it would be fair to expect that to be the case at the risk of developer elitism. :)

Having said that though, they do plan on having Mac and Linux clients and of course symlinks are a core functionality that a much higher number of people are likely to use due to having a higher technical userbase more than anything I would speculate. As such, it would stand to reason that they will have to deal with such issues for Linux almost certainly so any issues would most likely end up getting fixed eventually. Again, I don't consider it a measure of developer competence but of measuring priorities while presumably doing the core development on the Windows platform with what is most common to Windows users.

This is no different really than a competent Linux developer writing an application using Linux as their primary platform and having problems dealing with Windows drive letters, backslashes in pathnames, or not handling UNC paths or any one of a zillion other Windows centric issues that are equally obscure under Linux. A Windows developer calling such a developer incompetent for not supporting such features in Linux in an alpha product would be more than a little assumptive IMHO about the capabilities and intentions of the developer and their priorities.

These are nothing more than IMHO incredibly trivial very rare corner case minor glitches which almost certainly would be addressed at some point.

Doh, I'm not doing that common sense thing you mentioned again am I? ;oP
DCT: It will have a option to turn off auto updates for all games but for now you can just only can do that on a game by game basis(in other words you have to click on the game and turn off the auto-update option) keep in mind this is only a test build meant to test a few features of the client.
moonshineshadow: I know that I can do that. But I was a bit irritated, that the client started updating games directly after starting it. So there was not even a chance to turn it off before.
And while I agree that this is a test build for features, I am not happy if it starts "messing" with my installed games on its own.
It turns out that it has been scientifically proven that in software engineering cycles, developmental software builds have been shown to be able to eat babies and to destroy worlds and in some cases entire solar systems. Based on the sound data in this field of scientific research it is thus wise for people who are not comfortable with infanticide and/or mass genocide to steer clear of developmental software builds and wait until an official stable product release is launched. In some circles, those who are particularly cautious about ripple effects of this baby eating have been known to also avoid software releases that are versioned ending in .0, such as 1.0, 2.0, etc. instead waiting for 1.1, 2.1 etc. to show up.

I've both destroyed a few planets myself as a developer and well I can't mention the rest without taking personal risk, but needless to say I can confirm this scientific evidence myself also. ;)
ThePyramidHead: Why not have an offline mode? Not a huge issue.
The reason why there is no need for an offline mode, is because you can use Galaxy to download standalone installers which need no internet connection afterwards.
distracted.130: I believe GOG has already made it clear that the client will always be optional.
Siilk: I know, I just wanted to emphasize how important this is and that GOG should stick to this decision.
Which seems likely considering the announcement video for GOG Galaxy mentions "optional client" about 78.94 billion times (just a rough estimate rounded off to 2 decimal places), which suggests to me that being gamers themselves they too recognized that this was a critically important thing for their customer base as well as for themselves.

gnodab: Also I find it kinda annoying that I can't scroll through my whole library. I know 600 games might be hard to fit on a shelf, but having to flip through ten pages is not really ideal.
Siilk: Yes, it's quite annoying, and I only have two pages. Web library has one single list for all games, Galaxy library should be the same.
I've got 422 unbundled games on my shelf which now spills onto 5 pages, and some people own the entire catalogue or close too it which would be about 12 pages or more (unbundled) at the moment. I imagine that GOG plans on changing the pagination and making it possible to have all games on a single page (just like the website library allows, or Steam or any other client), and to change the manner in which they paginate if a user chooses to use pagination. The current linear click 10 times to get page 10 like it is a pocket novel and you love clicking and waiting just to install XII or Zork or whatever is obviously just a developmental placeholder rather than an exercise in winning an award at human interface design I'm almost positive. ;o)

They have indicated that there will be a lot of changes to the library view and other library views in future builds, so it makes sense the current highly limited view is just a placeholder. If it turns out I'm wrong though I'll personally hire Joel Spolsky to fly to GOG headquarters to have a talk with them. ;oP Please hold me to that if it happens too, I mean it! ;o)

s17tabris: Just tried it. Is there a way to pause the download without having to exit the client?
A rule inserted into the Windows firewall will do the trick for now. :) A future update of the client will almost certainly have that feature built into it though. :)
Post edited May 02, 2015 by skeletonbow
Just got the Galaxy alpha and installed Double Dragon and Alien vs Predator. Does anyone play on the multiplayer or is there a time when people play?
Jennifer: Yay! I got to install the client today too :-D

Is the client meant to save game installers after the game is already installed?
No, choosing "install" in galaxy does not download the standard installers, it downloads a pre-installed version. Information on this was provided earlier in the thread by a GOG blue. You can download the regular installers by clicking on "More" however if you want to archive backups in a similar fashion to how we do it now outside of Galaxy.

Just pure speculation on my part but I imagine they might provide an option in the future to point Galaxy to look for a local copy of a game installer first before pulling one down the way it does now, then fall back if a local archive isn't present. That makes technical sense for optimizing the end user experience at least the way many of us will probably want to use it anyway. Right now however it is important that they get a lot of alpha testing of the actual code that downloads things the way it does now. Conveniences will be something to come later on I suspect.

P1na: I just received an invitation to the galaxy alpha, but I never signed up for it. Not sure what's up with that. Are invitation being sent to all users now?
If you have ever clicked on the link that takes you to the Galaxy alpha page it automatically signs you up just for visiting the page if you're logged in.
Post edited May 02, 2015 by skeletonbow
skeletonbow: If you have ever clicked on the link that takes you to the Galaxy alpha page it automatically signs you up just for visiting the page if you're logged in.
Really? That's strange. I visited the alpha page near the beginning of the sign-ups and I got no invitation. I revisited it some days ago and suddenly I got one.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Post edited May 02, 2015 by Grargar