It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
GameRager: If a dev states it is a beta/test build then GOG should at least allow them to submit a finished build later on to allow them to re-evaluate it and not just auto-reject a game based on an unfinished/buggy build....just my two cents.
tomimt: I don't think one rejection will prevent them to apply again at some point if they so want. They can always prove GOG wrong, but for that, they actually do need to want to do it and not abandon the idea after one rejection.
True, but how many games have actually been accepted after being rejected and resubmitted? And how many were ONLY added to the catalog after social media/etc complaints and attention?

MadalinStroe: The more threads like this I see, the more I'm happier I am that GOG uses curation. Over the years I've maybe disagreed with one of GOG's rejections. If this and Grimoire are the latest reasons of outrage over GOG's curation, then the trend continues.

Personally, I consider both games as horribly overpriced at launch. And while Grimoire(a game for which the developer adamantly claimed that there will never be a discount) recently saw a 50% discount on top of a huge price reduction, is also a poorly game designed game, for Legends of Amberland I'll just say that it's overpriced, and only time will tell on the quality of the story/gameplay elements.
Just because something turns you off about most gog rejections doesn't mean they aren't going to be considered good by others/many or that we shouldn't bring them here. Many would take up a small amount of server space/resources and would allow gog to make more profit over time.

Also even if the catalog gets bigger one can always filter it.

eric5h5: Spiderweb used that approach for years because it worked quite well, and Jeff Vogel specifically recommended that other developers do the same. However the market changed some time ago and he was forced to adapt. Even so, I kinda get the impression that he doesn't earn as much these days.
Crosmando: Lol wut, Vogel himself admitted that as soon as he put his games on Steam with a much lower price, he sold heaps more copies than he ever did the old way. The old gauging approach only "worked" because it generated only enough money to employ one person - Vogel, and the graphics of the old titles were atrocious, it was only when he came to Steam at lower prices that the production values actually improved.
TBH I think he only upeed the look/stuff in the games to get more people interested in them besides the hardcore oldschool rpg fans(of that type of rpg).
Post edited July 24, 2019 by GameRager
low rated
rjbuffchix: So...a middle ground fallacy? The fact of the matter is that anyone trying to be a principled person is unlikely to have a fun time in life. But in fact, some extreme principles that we all experience in every day life are good because they stand up for truth, some are bad because they violate consent of others. Some other extreme principles, like "really not even wanting to buy DRM-free on Steam", may seem rather insignificant in the scheme of things but are nonetheless important to those who feel that way.
=====================
Regardless, clearly you would concede there are people like this on this site, even if they are a small minority. One has to ask why the dev wouldn't be bothered to put the game DRM-free on itch, his own site, or Humble (and that's to say nothing of ADDITIONAL places like fireflower and z oom). Consider why it is viewed as valid to criticize the supposed "laziness" of the graphics and lack of value for price point, but not valid to criticize the laziness of not putting a DRM-free game on available DRM-free platforms that would take it.
======================
The answer, to use your analogy of culture, is that pro-Steam bias has taken over the culture of PC gaming even on DRM-free sites, lol. Also, there is a saying "history is written by the victors". At one point, it would have been considered "extreme" and ridiculous to have to connect online to play most of PC games. Now it is considered weird and eccentric to not to do so, and even this very site adopted and continues to adopt Steam-like features (as long as they don't make the client mandatory or make DRM worse, I guess it's just the cost of doing business anymore).
=================
When the new-and-improved Grimoire came to itch, it was $9.99. I know you are referring to the original price but do you believe even $9.99 is overpriced? If so, you are entitled to that belief...just like I am entitled to mine that many, MANY indie games (non-dungeon crawler RPGs) are accepted here but are priced higher than I would want to pay. And I am not trying to be a cheapskate either, in other threads I have advocated that DRM-free versions of big games like Fallouts, Bioshocks, Mafias, etc are imo UNDERpriced if anything considering you get to own them. I would have been willing to pay more than "full" price for those games I named.
1. How is it a fallacy if it holds true in some ways?

Also yes it is tough.....so why "die" on such a hill when there are more important(subjective and objective) "hills" to "fight and possibly die" on?
=======================
Yes, I know and admit such people exist & also exist on the site.

As for your query: Maybe it's because finances are tight for many so that's whjy that one is considered more "important" than drm-free to many, and maybe it's because many are pedantic about "good" graphics so that's why that one is considered to be more "important" than DRM free?

I also LOVE drm-free gaming, but(to me) if a game runs fine with DRM and I don't notice it or get negatively impacted by it I couldn't care less & if no drm-free version exists I will buy and play such or BUY AND CRACK it out. By being flexible and not being a joan of arc against DRM I can experience more of culture/gaming/life overall than those with principles towards such can.....whether this makes me better or worse (objectively) as a person/morally is up to debate, though.
======================
True, and they(gog) try to act like steam(with a client to organize games/etc) to attract those(who are the majority sadly) who don't mind such drm/etc to buy here.

Also TBH I use steam but ONLY for games that GOG doesn't carry or that GOG gouges on with pricing, and usually mainly DRM free steam games. And any that aren't I keep cracks on hand for if steam ever shutters/closes up shop.
==================
This bit was to another user but imo it's full of good points.
low rated
GameRager: 1. How is it a fallacy if it holds true in some ways?

Also yes it is tough.....so why "die" on such a hill when there are more important(subjective and objective) "hills" to "fight and possibly die" on?
The fallacy is to assume the middle ground is the best approach when that is not necessarily the case. Or, put another way, to assume that extreme approaches are not warranted, because they are extreme. And by the way, your second sentence is the fallacy of relative privation...

GameRager: As for your query: Maybe it's because finances are tight for many so that's whjy that one is considered more "important" than drm-free to many, and maybe it's because many are pedantic about "good" graphics so that's why that one is considered to be more "important" than DRM free?

[...]

By being flexible and not being a joan of arc against DRM I can experience more of culture/gaming/life overall than those with principles towards such can.....whether this makes me better or worse (objectively) as a person/morally is up to debate, though.
I find it most productive to focus on ideas, not people. I do object to your idea that those who reject buying DRMed games are missing out on culture or that, even if that is the case, that it is necessarily bad for them to miss out. Do you buy always-online games on mobile that are filled to the brim with microtransactions? No? Then you're missing out on culture! Do you lose sleep over that, though?

If you delve enough, everyone is principled to a certain degree and to act in accordance with those principles means they may not be missing all that much that interests them based on their beliefs. I long for the alternate history of PC gaming that COULD have
happened, if not for the Scheme DRM monopoly takeover. I don't long so much for the games that came out during the real timeline of events, that aren't already here.
Post edited July 24, 2019 by rjbuffchix
low rated
rjbuffchix: The fallacy is to assume the middle ground is the best approach when that is not necessarily the case. Or, put another way, to assume that extreme approaches are not warranted, because they are extreme. And by the way, your second sentence is the fallacy of relative privation...

GameRager: As for your query: Maybe it's because finances are tight for many so that's whjy that one is considered more "important" than drm-free to many, and maybe it's because many are pedantic about "good" graphics so that's why that one is considered to be more "important" than DRM free?

[...]

By being flexible and not being a joan of arc against DRM I can experience more of culture/gaming/life overall than those with principles towards such can.....whether this makes me better or worse (objectively) as a person/morally is up to debate, though.
rjbuffchix: I find it most productive to focus on ideas, not people. I do object to your idea that those who reject buying DRMed games are missing out on culture or that, even if that is the case, that it is necessarily bad for them to miss out. Do you buy always-online games on mobile that are filled to the brim with microtransactions? No? Then you're missing out on culture! Do you lose sleep over that, though?

If you delve enough, everyone is principled to a certain degree and to act in accordance with those principles means they may not be missing all that much that interests them based on their beliefs. I long for the alternate history of PC gaming that COULD have
happened, if not for the Scheme DRM monopoly takeover. I don't long so much for the games that came out during the real timeline of events, that aren't already here.
1. The middle ground or being reasonable is usually better than being an extremist to the nth degree, though......also a good number of extremists refuse to see the other's sides POV due to being "blind" to it(on purpose or due to following the herd).

Also fallacy or not it(the "hill" bit) is good advice.

2.a. They are objectively missing out on things....although whether or not they would've liked such things had they tried them/if they choose to try them is hard to tell.

And yes even mobile games(if one choose not to partake) are a part of culture, and while I wouldn't "lose sleep
over most of them(as they aren't mostly my thing) I DO find some to be appealing(if unplayable due to having no such device) anyways and think about them sometimes

2.b. Or they may be missing out on many things that might interest them or they might find enjoyable.....without objective proof either way both of us are equally right.

Also games have come out that are good and will despite DRM(to say such without evidence is baseless)....and now we have kickstarter/etc to allow people to fund and get games/media made that appeals to them so win-win in a way/ways.

You know what IS messing up games lately more than DRM ever will/would? The fortnite/overwatch/etc game style and microtransactions/lootboxes.
low rated
I typed a long reply last night that apparently never sent through.

GameRager: 1. The middle ground or being reasonable is usually better than being an extremist to the nth degree, though......also a good number of extremists refuse to see the other's sides POV due to being "blind" to it(on purpose or due to following the herd).

Also fallacy or not it(the "hill" bit) is good advice.
So you are acknowledging it is a fallacy, just that it is one that you wish to keep committing? Lol. Btw, I could have done without the "middle ground, or being reasonable" snipe. That you (or anyone) would disagree with a reasoned argument does not mean the reasoned argument is unreasonable. Slinging ridiculous ad hominems is not my idea of reasoned discussion.

GameRager: 2.b. Or they may be missing out on many things that might interest them or they might find enjoyable.....without objective proof either way both of us are equally right.
Not the case. I am talking about people whose interest in the game goes hand in hand with their negative interest in DRM. If the game in question is locked behind DRM, it will not interest them and they will not find it enjoyable barring removal of the DRM. You can say this is extremist to the nth degree and stamp your feet all you like, but there are some people do hold this view, regardless of if you think it is reasonable or not.

It may seem more reasonable when you consider its the same mechanism that many folks utilize when rejecting mobile microtransactionfests. Those games, like DRMed games, have negative value. That is, even "free" they are not worth it. This is easily observable with the whole "free to play" genre.

GameRager: You know what IS messing up games lately more than DRM ever will/would? The fortnite/overwatch/etc game style and microtransactions/lootboxes.
1. It's not a competition (again, I urge you to see the fallacy of relative privation).

2. "Messing up games" is not clearly defined. Not that you asked me, but if talking definitions here, I think we'd agree at a minimum that DRM, battle royale games, microtransactions, and lootboxes are all "messing up games". But, if that is the case, DRM has messed up many, many, many more games by rendering them inaccessible to DRM-free gamers.

3. Why is "lately" the criterion? See immediately above. With PC gaming, the Scheme monopoly has taken hold of vastly more games than battle royale/microtransactions/lootboxes have.

4. There is also a speculative argument to be made that, if not for the Scheme monopoly structure that conditioned people "have to connect online to play games", the current trends would not be nearly as widespread as they currently are.
low rated
rjbuffchix: So you are acknowledging it is a fallacy, just that it is one that you wish to keep committing? Lol. Btw, I could have done without the "middle ground, or being reasonable" snipe. That you (or anyone) would disagree with a reasoned argument does not mean the reasoned argument is unreasonable. Slinging ridiculous ad hominems is not my idea of reasoned discussion.

==================

Not the case. I am talking about people whose interest in the game goes hand in hand with their negative interest in DRM. If the game in question is locked behind DRM, it will not interest them and they will not find it enjoyable barring removal of the DRM. You can say this is extremist to the nth degree and stamp your feet all you like, but there are some people do hold this view, regardless of if you think it is reasonable or not.

It may seem more reasonable when you consider its the same mechanism that many folks utilize when rejecting mobile microtransactionfests. Those games, like DRMed games, have negative value. That is, even "free" they are not worth it. This is easily observable with the whole "free to play" genre.

=================
It's not a competition (again, I urge you to see the fallacy of relative privation).
================
"Messing up games" is not clearly defined. Not that you asked me, but if talking definitions here, I think we'd agree at a minimum that DRM, battle royale games, microtransactions, and lootboxes are all "messing up games". But, if that is the case, DRM has messed up many, many, many more games by rendering them inaccessible to DRM-free gamers.
===============
Why is "lately" the criterion? See immediately above. With PC gaming, the Scheme monopoly has taken hold of vastly more games than battle royale/microtransactions/lootboxes have.
================
There is also a speculative argument to be made that, if not for the Scheme monopoly structure that conditioned people "have to connect online to play games", the current trends would not be nearly as widespread as they currently are.
1. I said fallacy OR NOT......but good advice/stances are such even if some consider them to be fallacies/bad.

Also as for the "snipe"....I posted it as a bit of chiding yet honest criticism of extremist viewpoints.....to me many extremist views are usually unreasonable and led by emotional responses instead of logic and common sense.

This statement might offend but that is how I feel and I will not change my views or hide them under platitudes and nicer words just to not offend a few people. This does not mean I don't want civil constructive dialog, though.

2. If a game/piece of media would otherwise interest a person sans DRM, then they will likely find it interesting once said DRM is removed or even if it is never removed...they will simply choose not to partake.

But to suggest someone will dislike something they otherwise would have liked just because it has bits of restrictive code in it is hard to swallow.....and if someone has such a viewpoint then they are being highly unreasonable imo.

3. How is giving a counter example making this into a competition? Or is giving counter examples a bad thing in debates now?

Also could you please stick to using plain english if possible. I find it easier to discuss things if I don't have to break out a dictionary/similar when people reply.

4. I could define it but then we'd be here all day nitpicking over whatever I defined it as and other things...as a placeholder term/phrase it works for now.

As for DRM "messing up" games and making them "inaccessible": They are not if one has no qualms using such or cracking such out if they mess with one's system/hardware.

This is why I like being more "reasonable"(I know you dislike that term in this instance but to me it fits and I see it as being such so please bear with me for a bit here as I explain)....as such I can enjoy many more things I like or may like than one who is more strong on their convictions against such things.

Heck, even such battle royale games/microtransactions/etc are disliked by me and I will sometimes play them as well, as I see the OVERALL TREND of such as more of a problem and can still enjoy some of such(usually used copies or in deep sales).

(That last paragraph might not be worded correctly...I find it hard atm to clearly speak my thoughts on the matter)

5. Because we have to deal with the present now and not the distant(relatively speaking) past.

6. Speculation is all fine and well, but proof would be more welcome in this regard.
low rated
GameRager: 1. I said fallacy OR NOT......but good advice/stances are such even if some consider them to be fallacies/bad.
Say what you want my friend, but it is clearly a fallacy. And I don't agree that your position is "good advice". If you are saying that it doesn't matter whether or not something is a fallacy, then GAZORPAZOID! ...I win the debate. Though if you don't like me pulling the GAZORPAZOID card, then we could always try again at the whole reasoned discussion thing. Can't have a productive reasoned discussion if both parties don't agree to abide by the laws of logic. If you don't see why, then GAZORPAZOID! I win again.

GameRager: Also as for the "snipe"....I posted it as a bit of chiding yet honest criticism of extremist viewpoints.....to me many extremist views are usually unreasonable and led by emotional responses instead of logic and common sense.
This is what people call "gall". You have been proudly using emotional responses that go against logic, in order to try and prop up your position. See the first quote above. You advocate what you call good advice, essentially because it feels good to you. You admitted that your advocating good advice is not based in logic because you are saying you don't care about whether or not you're committing a fallacy. See also:
GameRager: This statement might offend but that is how I feel
Moving on...

GameRager: But to suggest someone will dislike something they otherwise would have liked just because it has bits of restrictive code in it is hard to swallow.....and if someone has such a viewpoint then they are being highly unreasonable imo.
Well, these people exist. Wouldn't it make sense for a developer to sell to them, instead of dismissing them and not getting their money? Because that is basically what I'm arguing here. No matter how "unreasonable" you feel people are for not wanting to buy on Steam even when the game is otherwise DRM-free on there, the fact remains that people like this do exist. Instead of basically calling these people names and that they should just suck it up, how about joining me in wanting the game released DRM-free on other, non-Steam, stores?

GameRager: 3. How is giving a counter example making this into a competition?
You didn't give a counter-example; you appealed to a "worse example". Again, this is called "the fallacy of relative privation". I don't think there is a shorter name for it. It is basically to say "it could be worse". While it's true that things can be worse, the fact that something could be worse doesn't resolve the original thing being discussed. In this case, microtransactions and lootboxes (supposedly) being worse than DRM, doesn't resolve the badness of DRM that was being discussed. Bringing up examples of (supposedly) worse things is distracting from the original discussion and thus literally not relevant.

GameRager: This is why I like being more "reasonable"(I know you dislike that term in this instance but to me it fits and I see it as being such so please bear with me for a bit here as I explain)....as such I can enjoy many more things I like or may like than one who is more strong on their convictions against such things.
Again, it is not all that fun to be a person who tries to hold close to principles. But people do so, and their goal in doing so wasn't "fun" anyway, it was to do what they feel (and/or what can be demonstrated as) right. What I have been trying to say is that for people really into their principles, the things you call "fun" that go against the principles, simply wouldn't be "fun" for some of these people. Your argument is like saying that vegans would really looooooove meat if they would just drop their principles. Maybe some of them would! But my argument has focused on the ones that wouldn't love meat if only they dropped their principles; they would not feel they are missing out on anything worthwhile, by their standards. Does this make it clearer how a principle can go hand-in-hand with someone's interest (or lack of interest) in something?
low rated
karnak1: I have no problem in playing old-school RPGs. But I would never pay more than a 1$ for "Legends of Amberland".
I'm having a blast playing M&M3. And Amberland looks like trash compared to that 1991 game.

As for the fanatics in "RPG Codex" and other places: some years ago I tried to get back to pen&paper roleplaying. I had a blast playing RPGs when I was a kid and wanted to see how the new "P&P RPG renaissance" looked like...
I had to flee in terror. What I found was a universe crowded with a huge ammount of autistic fanboys and old grognards who seemed to be stuck in a time loop and thought that spending several hours in a dungeon fighting monsters and evading traps like in the old 80s scenarios was "The Real Deal". Not that I have anything against it specially. But it's almost like 30 years of game theory and concepts had never existed. Whenever I browse the "Drivethru" website 90% of the stuff I see is generic Heroic Fantasy and Space Opera trash :(
I wonder how much they lapped up the Book Of Eschalon with the mass of useless skills, stats, and ill defined systems.
low rated
rjbuffchix: Say what you want my friend, but it is clearly a fallacy. And I don't agree that your position is "good advice". If you are saying that it doesn't matter whether or not something is a fallacy, then GAZORPAZOID! ...I win the debate. Though if you don't like me pulling the GAZORPAZOID card, then we could always try again at the whole reasoned discussion thing. Can't have a productive reasoned discussion if both parties don't agree to abide by the laws of logic. If you don't see why, then GAZORPAZOID! I win again.
=======================
This is what people call "gall". You have been proudly using emotional responses that go against logic, in order to try and prop up your position. See the first quote above. You advocate what you call good advice, essentially because it feels good to you. You admitted that your advocating good advice is not based in logic because you are saying you don't care about whether or not you're committing a fallacy. See also:
=======================
Well, these people exist. Wouldn't it make sense for a developer to sell to them, instead of dismissing them and not getting their money? Because that is basically what I'm arguing here. No matter how "unreasonable" you feel people are for not wanting to buy on Steam even when the game is otherwise DRM-free on there, the fact remains that people like this do exist. Instead of basically calling these people names and that they should just suck it up, how about joining me in wanting the game released DRM-free on other, non-Steam, stores?
======================
You didn't give a counter-example; you appealed to a "worse example". Again, this is called "the fallacy of relative privation". I don't think there is a shorter name for it. It is basically to say "it could be worse". While it's true that things can be worse, the fact that something could be worse doesn't resolve the original thing being discussed. In this case, microtransactions and lootboxes (supposedly) being worse than DRM, doesn't resolve the badness of DRM that was being discussed. Bringing up examples of (supposedly) worse things is distracting from the original discussion and thus literally not relevant.
======================
Again, it is not all that fun to be a person who tries to hold close to principles. But people do so, and their goal in doing so wasn't "fun" anyway, it was to do what they feel (and/or what can be demonstrated as) right. What I have been trying to say is that for people really into their principles, the things you call "fun" that go against the principles, simply wouldn't be "fun" for some of these people. Your argument is like saying that vegans would really looooooove meat if they would just drop their principles. Maybe some of them would! But my argument has focused on the ones that wouldn't love meat if only they dropped their principles; they would not feel they are missing out on anything worthwhile, by their standards. Does this make it clearer how a principle can go hand-in-hand with someone's interest (or lack of interest) in something?
And one could also say something is a fallacy to discredit what the other side is saying to win or try to that way....it can work both ways.
================
I said it is based in some logic from experience......how is that going against logic?

Also you seem to be doing the same thing you accuse me of(advocating what feels good or right to yourself).

And I never meant that I wanted to commit fallacies....just that I don't see them as such as I have experienced said things before multiple times.
================
First off, you seem to be stuck on me "calling people names" and thinking I am targeting those who stalwartly advocate for and stick to DRM free. I meant ALL extremists and not just those individuals, and wasn't trying to be mean by doing so....it's called a fair criticism, and imo people should be able to handle a bit of it from time to time as it can be part of a normal conversation.

That said, I would gladly enjoy all games being release DRM free on all stores but we all know that will likely never be the case, and as I said I find not wanting to partake in a good amount of culture because of one's beliefs to be a bit "extreme" and nonsensical....take of that what you will.
==================
I didn't say it could be worse, for starters...it IS worse(to me) in those respects.

And no, bringing such up doesn't resolve the problem of all games not being drm-free(which if one is more flexible becomes less of a problem), but it was just to show there are "bigger fish" to "fry" in the world of gaming than some drm which can be cracked out by those who know how.
=================
What is gained from holding such strong principles beyond a feeling of moral superiority and satisfaction? One has less from which to draw(media wise) than others and it is likely companies will never go 100% drm free across the board.

I understand the point you are trying to make here in this bit, btw, but imo someone can be interested in something and not be able to partake because of their stance/belief....I do not think they suddenly don't like something or find it uninteresting just because it has an aspect they dislike(in this case drm).

If a man/woman liked a red card from a company but hated the company they wont; suddenly dislike the car entirely just because it's made by a company they dislike.
I would say being open to everything and having this as a main principle is extreme. Identifing what we find right and good, and living by those values is the only freedom we have. This new age mentality of being open to everything is whats destroying the west culturally, and you can see it everywhere you look.
To be open to everything is to say everything is of equal value, or to say everything is equally valueless, and thats just not true. Thats nihilism.
low rated
SirHandsome: I would say being open to everything and having this as a main principle is extreme. Identifing what we find right and good, and living by those values is the only freedom we have. This new age mentality of being open to everything is whats destroying the west culturally, and you can see it everywhere you look.
To be open to everything is to say everything is of equal value, or to say everything is equally valueless, and thats just not true. Thats nihilism.
I don't know about others, but I myself am not open to everything & am more open to people being able to experience nearly anything that doesn't harm or majorly & badly affect others.
low rated
GameRager: [snip]
Reality determines what is true. If a Statement X plainly matches a textbook logical fallacy, the (drumroll please...) reasonable thing to do is conclude that Statement X is logically fallacious. If someone uses Statement X as proof of their position, it would not be reasonable to accept their position on those grounds. They'd need to find different, non-fallacious reasoning, in order to support their position. It's not a matter of discrediting them; it's a matter of demanding intellectual honesty and proof. Their position may end up being reasonable to hold IF they can provide non-fallacious reasoning. Or, in cases where the position is simply a re-statement of a logical fallacy, and there are no non-fallacious grounds that could ever be used to support it, it would not ever be reasonable to hold.

I know you are referring to all extreme positions across various topics, not just on DRM. I am saying you are demonstrably wrong to say that taking an extreme position is unreasonable. I don't care what goofball you encountered that led you to believe otherwise. Most people are "extremist" in their position of various other topics. For example, how much slavery or serial killing do you believe is acceptable in society? Hopefully you would join me in answering "zero!" instead of "uh, about 50 percent give or take, don't wanna jump to any firm conclusions here" (except the supposed superiority of moderation. THAT conclusion you do like to jump to). DRM itself may not be on the level of those wrongs though I would also point out that DRM is a symptom of the issue of ownership of property, which is a very important societal issue.

My main question to you is to ask why you are invalidating the preferences of these "extremist" gamers who don't want to buy from Steam? Even if I were to join you and say "yeah, they're just being dumb extremists for being that way", that doesn't "speak them out of existence". Since these gamers do exist, how about acknowledgement of that? What I question on the part of developers and publishers is why they make the downright STUPID business decision to only sell on Steam instead of Steam+other stores, with the other stores being ones that so-called "extremist" DRM-free gamers would find it acceptable to buy from. One would have to assume that these are lost sales they could have otherwise had. The game in this topic literally fits this description for me.

GameRager: I understand the point you are trying to make here in this bit, btw, but imo someone can be interested in something and not be able to partake because of their stance/belief....I do not think they suddenly don't like something or find it uninteresting just because it has an aspect they dislike(in this case drm).

If a man/woman liked a red card from a company but hated the company they wont; suddenly dislike the car entirely just because it's made by a company they dislike.
Not true. There are plenty of people who would indeed change their opinion upon finding out that information. Just like there are people who do not buy from companies that test on animals. Just like there are people who disown an artist's work after the fact, when new information about the artist's personal life comes to light. I am not saying all of these people are right for doing so, but unlike you I am not handwaving away their existence. In many cases, their actions reflect them trying to be logically consistent with their beliefs. I think you could still learn something from them (not intended as an insult, btw). The part they often get wrong is if their belief itself is not founded on logical reasoning. THAT is where they go wrong, not the "extremism" of trying to be logically consistent and intellectually honest.

Let's hope for more games to come to stores that even the crustiest extremist DRM-free gamer can find acceptable. That is a much better path than to just marginalize people even more.
Post edited July 28, 2019 by rjbuffchix
low rated
rjbuffchix: Reality determines what is true. If a Statement X plainly matches a textbook logical fallacy, the (drumroll please...) reasonable thing to do is conclude that Statement X is logically fallacious. If someone uses Statement X as proof of their position, it would not be reasonable to accept their position on those grounds. They'd need to find different, non-fallacious reasoning, in order to support their position. It's not a matter of discrediting them; it's a matter of demanding intellectual honesty and proof. Their position may end up being reasonable to hold IF they can provide non-fallacious reasoning. Or, in cases where the position is simply a re-statement of a logical fallacy, and there are no non-fallacious grounds that could ever be used to support it, it would not ever be reasonable to hold.
======================
I know you are referring to all extreme positions across various topics, not just on DRM. I am saying you are demonstrably wrong to say that taking an extreme position is unreasonable. I don't care what goofball you encountered that led you to believe otherwise. Most people are "extremist" in their position of various other topics. For example, how much slavery or serial killing do you believe is acceptable in society? Hopefully you would join me in answering "zero!" instead of "uh, about 50 percent give or take, don't wanna jump to any firm conclusions here" (except the supposed superiority of moderation. THAT conclusion you do like to jump to). DRM itself may not be on the level of those wrongs though I would also point out that DRM is a symptom of the issue of ownership of property, which is a very important societal issue.
======================
My main question to you is to ask why you are invalidating the preferences of these "extremist" gamers who don't want to buy from Steam? Even if I were to join you and say "yeah, they're just being dumb extremists for being that way", that doesn't "speak them out of existence". Since these gamers do exist, how about acknowledgement of that? What I question on the part of developers and publishers is why they make the downright STUPID business decision to only sell on Steam instead of Steam+other stores, with the other stores being ones that so-called "extremist" DRM-free gamers would find it acceptable to buy from. One would have to assume that these are lost sales they could have otherwise had. The game in this topic literally fits this description for me.
======================
Not true. There are plenty of people who would indeed change their opinion upon finding out that information. Just like there are people who do not buy from companies that test on animals. Just like there are people who disown an artist's work after the fact, when new information about the artist's personal life comes to light. I am not saying all of these people are right for doing so, but unlike you I am not handwaving away their existence. In many cases, their actions reflect them trying to be logically consistent with their beliefs. I think you could still learn something from them (not intended as an insult, btw). The part they often get wrong is if their belief itself is not founded on logical reasoning. THAT is where they go wrong, not the "extremism" of trying to be logically consistent and intellectually honest.
======================
Let's hope for more games to come to stores that even the crustiest extremist DRM-free gamer can find acceptable. That is a much better path than to just marginalize people even more.
To most it's one own version of reality(determined by many factors like beliefs/cognitive dissonance and how it plays into one's perceptions/upbringing and knowledge sources/etc).

Also one can THINK something matches said definition due to the aforementioned factors and be wrong yet think it matches it anyways to maintain their own belief set and not have to deal with something clashing with their own beliefs or to not have to deal with a part of a conversation(not saying you are doing this, but generally speaking/etc).

I agree one should find better reasoning if they use wrong information if they can, but for some even the best examples/proof won't sway them regardless of what one brings to the table.
======================
First off i'd like to say I MEANT CENTRIST(or rational....but not moderate). Sorry for that mix up.

As for the more hardcore extremists(in general).....most are not very reasonable(imo) as they are usually set in their ways and not up to change, unlike with centrists/more rational minded people who are usually up to have their minds/stances changed more easily.

Also an aside: Are you trying to equate some problem with owning stuff in general here? If so, why is it wrong(in general)?
=====================
My question would be why you think i'm trying to invalidate them entirely(or why the thought of such is such a big deal in general)? I just see those holding some more "stubborn" views and not being open to change as being less reasonable than others.

I also do acknowledge they exist(when did I ever infer otherwise?), as well, and I think games should be sold DRM free whenever possible/the such people should be able to play such.

I also, however(as I said) find some who don't partake in some parts of culture to "stick it to the man" for this or that to be a bit stubborn/closeminded, though I ALSO admire them for sticking to said beliefs(which takes dedication/etc).
=====================
They might not buy said products or services when they find out something bad about said company or product, but they likely still like that kind of thing(game/media/product) in general.....one's likes don't usually go away simply because a product is made by someone who did something they find bad or wrong....they usually simply choose to like the product but not the maker or their actions/choices....hence many here and elsewhere who say stuff like "I wish game/media x or y was on service a or b or had no 1 or 2 feature(in this case DRM) & then i;'d gladly buy it".

They usually/mostly don't say they dislike that thing, just that they won't partake until it is changed to fit their criteria for purchase.

Btw I am not handwaving away anyone's existance....I just don't think many exist(and if they do it's very few) who dislike something ENTIRELY because it's maker did something they dislike. A person who likes red cars with a set style can and will like a red car made by a company they dislike...but usually they will say they don't or(more often) say they do but refuse to buy until company a changes it's ways or what they disliked initially.
===================
There's other options too......some drm-free gamers could also buy games and strip out the drm themselves and/or buy used or in a deep sale to avoid giving those companies much money while still being able to avoid such.

I agree more DRM free is a good thing, though, for all involved.
low rated
GameRager: Also one can THINK something matches said definition due to the aforementioned factors and be wrong yet think it matches it anyways to maintain their own belief set
Dude. I can't keep playing dodgeball here. Your view appears structurally the same as the fallacy.

GameRager: First off i'd like to say I MEANT CENTRIST(or rational....but not moderate). Sorry for that mix up.
Uh, not sure what you are defining as the difference between "centrist" and "moderate". In any case, "rational" is something else entirely. To assume extreme positions are unreasonable because they are extreme, is decidedly NOT rational. Explanation already given in my previous post.

GameRager: Also an aside: Are you trying to equate some problem with owning stuff in general here? If so, why is it wrong(in general)?
No. I was using hypothetical examples to show you why "extremism" is not necessarily unreasonable. My hypothetical examples were of serious topics like slavery and killings; in those cases, I hope you join me in being extremely AGAINST both. We would agree DRM seems a lesser issue in comparison (though this doesn't mean we can't talk about DRM). I wanted to just say as an aside that while DRM seems like a lesser issue generally speaking, DRM is symptomatic of a larger issue of what items people are allowed to own. There appears to be a strong push in society against ownership. So what I was getting it is that while DRM on its own doesn't seem like a grave issue, it is representative of the larger war against ownership, which is a big deal and affects many people's mobility, family status, etc. If it wasn't clear, I am for ownership of games, media, not to mention cars, living spaces, etc.

GameRager: My question would be why you think i'm trying to invalidate them entirely(or why the thought of such is such a big deal in general)?
Because these folks clearly exist and are potential customers. Given that they exist and are remaining pretty solid in their views, is a business losing sales by making games Steam-only? Yes or no.

Also because you are basically calling them names and marginalizing their view (a view that is more founded in logic than your "extremism is to be presumed bad" view, I'd add).

GameRager: They usually/mostly don't say they dislike that thing, just that they won't partake until it is changed to fit their criteria for purchase.
Fair enough, but until the thing is changed, they will dislike it.

Anyway,

Great news to me and anyone interested, it looks like the game should soon be available to buy DRM-free directly from dev's site
. Currently, there is a link to the Steam store, but per comment today in the RPG Codex thread the standalone non-Steam version should be getting a link very soon, albeit for a bit higher price (what did I tell you about Steam bias...lol).

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/legends-of-amberland-rejected-by-gog.128058/page-3

Relevant quote:

"All right, if you like this solution, I will add (a slightly pricier) a special "Legends of Amberland - Support The Developer" edition (containing both Steam key and a persistent direct download link) on my website www.SilverLemurGames.com/legendsofamberland/, just as we discussed it a few posts above.
It will be available 1st August or a few days later (but not many).

Again, I would prefer if you bought it via Steam (due to how the Steam discoverability algorithm works), but I understand it would be very uncomfortable for some of you so I will add the direct purchase option for those people.
Anyway, it's a bit sad the game was rejected by GOG (it would solve the problem in the first place and it would be a great addition to that store, but well, it's not my call)." [bold emphasis mine]
Post edited July 29, 2019 by rjbuffchix
low rated
rjbuffchix: Dude. I can't keep playing dodgeball here. Your view appears structurally the same as the fallacy.

========================

Uh, not sure what you are defining as the difference between "centrist" and "moderate". In any case, "rational" is something else entirely. To assume extreme positions are unreasonable because they are extreme, is decidedly NOT rational. Explanation already given in my previous post.

======================
No. I was using hypothetical examples to show you why "extremism" is not necessarily unreasonable. My hypothetical examples were of serious topics like slavery and killings; in those cases, I hope you join me in being extremely AGAINST both. We would agree DRM seems a lesser issue in comparison (though this doesn't mean we can't talk about DRM). I wanted to just say as an aside that while DRM seems like a lesser issue generally speaking, DRM is symptomatic of a larger issue of what items people are allowed to own. There appears to be a strong push in society against ownership. So what I was getting it is that while DRM on its own doesn't seem like a grave issue, it is representative of the larger war against ownership, which is a big deal and affects many people's mobility, family status, etc. If it wasn't clear, I am for ownership of games, media, not to mention cars, living spaces, etc.

=========================
Because these folks clearly exist and are potential customers. Given that they exist and are remaining pretty solid in their views, is a business losing sales by making games Steam-only? Yes or no.

Also because you are basically calling them names and marginalizing their view (a view that is more founded in logic than your "extremism is to be presumed bad" view, I'd add).
==========================
Fair enough, but until the thing is changed, they will dislike it.

Anyway,

Great news to me and anyone interested, it looks like the game should soon be available to buy DRM-free directly from dev's site
. Currently, there is a link to the Steam store, but per comment today in the RPG Codex thread the standalone non-Steam version should be getting a link very soon, albeit for a bit higher price (what did I tell you about Steam bias...lol).
Don't just use the word fallacy then.....show(in plain english if you could) how it's fallacious. Then I can see whether it truly is for myself.

Also what I said is true....some will and do use 'fallacy' to shut down arguments or shut out things they disagree with....not saying you are, but it can happen(one can even do it subconsciously).

====================
I was just trying to use more "proper" words......to me centrists can see most/more ways of doing things as valid and be open to more things than those stuck on one end of spectrum of beliefs/choices.....i.e. more reasonable and open to doing other things....as such I think the term more rational/reasonable fits those with such a mindset.

(You are free to disagree however)

========================

You are right that such people are not totally unreasonable......but SOME are to some extent, and most extreme individuals are usually(though not always) less reasonable/open to other beliefs/ideas than those who are centrists.

Also the kind of extremism I am talking about isn't what you seem to be thinking of when it comes to being "extreme/extremism".

To me/others being truly "extreme/extremist" on stuff like slavery would either mean going full against or pro...i.e. those wanting ANY slavery banned(like pet ownership/etc and stiff punishments for those who do such) and those full pro slavery(who support it in any form). Simply not liking it in it's human form and being against that would be a more rational/less extremist stance on such, imo.

As for the DRM aspect: I think that drm free is a good and noble cause, but I myself could find ways to still "own" stuff(for now) that others wouldn't want to consider(due to morals/etc)....as such and since it affects me less I am not as worried about it. It is still a big deal, though, as you state....on that we can agree.

Also people(if they want more ownership and drm free options) should pester and push those with power and money in the right directions instead of just hating drm and hoping for the best...it takes actions to get stuff done, after all.
===================================
The exist but they are a minority(sadly for now). Yes steam/etc are losing SOME sales but seeing as they are very profitable they must be willing to accept the loss. Now the question to ask here now is do they simply not care about such people or are they just unwilling to change major aspects of their business model to sate the wants of a minor handful of people?

Also saying people are extremists(if they are and the term fits) and calling some of them less reasonable is valid criticism. This doesn't mean I(or anyone using such in such talks about such) is trying to marginalize anyone for some bad and vile reason......one can do so if one is(as I am) more realistic.

And instead of focusing on the "bad" things I call some people you should be looking at the context behind such words and my underlying point....just my two cents.
===============================
No, as I said MOST(if not nearly ALL) don't dislike the thing...they dislike an ASPECT of that thing or an aspect of the maker's business practices. There is a difference, imo.
==============================
Steam might have a contract with them that they cannot sell cheaper than steam's pricepoint to undercut them, or the dev might be offering more with their special edition(did you see what comes with it by any chance?).

---------------------
All in all, I thank you for putting up with me thus far and gearing me out while being civil/etc...it is welcome and appreciated.

Also I hope you eventually get and enjoy said game if you are thinking about such.