It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello again! In this GOG 2022 update, we want to talk about online games and their place on GOG. Many great titles designed to be played with friends are not available here, and we want to change that. For us, it is crucial that we explain our thoughts on introducing more online games and better understand how you feel about it.

GOG was founded as a place to preserve games and make them last forever. We believe in freedom of choice and are committed to developing GOG as a gamer-first platform where you can collect and play the games you love – from all-time classics all the way to modern hits.

For the last 14 years, we’ve built a catalog for various tastes: for those who want to (re)discover classics, the fans of CD PROJEKT RED games, for people who love unique indies and exceptional single-player hits. We’ve also added GWENT: The Witcher Card Game to scratch that itch for multiplayer online games. Introducing more online-only games on GOG will help us cater to the needs of our growing audience, who are seeking a broader range of games, which will also allow us to continue our efforts to make games last forever.

Many of you already enjoy playing online titles, while some might question “since online-only games require an internet connection, how is this DRM-free?”. It is not – online-only games that are designed to be played with others are a separate category of games.

Rest assured this will not influence our DRM-free approach. GOG will remain the best platform for single-player DRM-free gaming, with a dedicated approach to classics and game preservation – something that’s at the very core of who we are.

Going forward, online-only multiplayer games will be marked as such on the game page – it’s up to you to decide whether you want to play them.

We’re happy and proud of the value we are creating for you to enjoy single-player games on GOG. We believe we can also bring new, unique value to those of you seeking online-only experiences. We’re eager to listen to your feedback on that in the comments.
my name is grompy catte: It's got the "standard" warnings, but I think GOG should do a bit more to differentiate this "new category".
BreOl72: Thank you!

And yes - I agree...some colour added to that warning would go a long way.
Maybe the warning written in white on red background, or something like that...just something that "pops out" a little more.
It would be a better way to do massive logo with text "Internet connection is required" under screenshots or game name, like on some games' boxarts (example is attached).
Attachments:
BreOl72: I have no problem with that.

Options, and the possibility to choose, are always good.
Gersen: Then you could have peoples starting saying that they could start selling games using Denuvo and simply indicate it like Steam does. It would just be one more possibility to chose from.
Correct!
That's exactly the point of having several options to choose from: everyone can decide for themselves what option they want to choose (and of course, which option they don't want to choose).

That's called personal freedom.
Online-only games are essentially MMORPGs and FPS games.

With especially FPS traditionally having some level of anti-cheat software included - which is often coupled with DRM.

As a Linux user, I feel that this announcement is not about me - nor is the giveaway, although I would be interested in it if it were playable on Linux.

Personally, I'm happy to see the clarification of the March announcement which was paving the way for this one.

If GOG want to pursue this two-track policy, AND if it is only restricted to online only FPS/MMORPG games like these, then I'm ok with it, but I am worried that by breaking the seal, it is a precursor to more and more DRM games on GOG.

Could I suggest a parallel long-term strategy of pushing for games that support Linux?
I dislike the idea that GOG wants to offer additional online only games and therefore (as confirmed by GOG) additoional DRM'd products - no matter if they are marked on the site or not. It has been said again and again that GOG is stretching the line of "DRM-free only" more and more and it does not matter at all how often GOG is trying to reassure us that it won't influence their DRM-free policy at all since it already HAS and unfortunytely they are trying to continue to go this route.

In the end GOG will have a portion of DRM'd games and a portion of DRM-Free games - which is something I have already on humble ... itch.io is completely DRM-ftree as is Zoom platform ... no, Ithis is not advertising. it is a reminder that GOG is given up their niche others love to fill in if they decide to go this way.

In my opinion GOG continues to fail to know their core customer base. They want to grow their customer base and get those who normally use Steam, Epic, online only games and whatnot ... but they don't realize that they simply can't get both. Those new customers GOG is aiming for are those who are used to Steam and co with a much better client, almost up to date games, more features and much more ... they will go back to Steam and co eventually anyway because GOG is more expensive, has not so many games, has so often missing updates and/or missing achievements and/or missing additional features and DLC. It is my opinion that GOG should conentrate on THEIR specific customer base who is and was loyal to them since basically decades instead of trying to attract those customers that are used to stores they will never be able to compete. The GOG core user base does not want to be unsure if a game is DRM'd or not - they buy, they play, they are happy and they know that they will never need online requirement ... you know ... exactly what GOG promised on their front page years ago.

So no - I think it is a really bad idea and it would be the start of something that would change GOG ompletely ... but not for better ...

Of course that is only my personal opinion.
i'm fine with this unless it leads to something like for honor which clearly has SP but needs online to play it. I guess that will happen if GOG want to kill their self.
BreOl72: That's exactly the point of having several options to choose from: everyone can decide for themselves what option they want to choose (and of course, which option they don't want to choose). That's called personal freedom.
You can have that opinion. It's wrong and probably groups you with many bad people. But you're also incorrect too.

GOG should be devoid of DRM. That's it's raison d'etre. If people want their "personal freedom" to rent DRM-ful products, they indeed do have their choice to go elsewhere, without dragging GOG downward with anti-customer features.
action_fan: It would be a better way to do massive logo with text "Internet connection is required" under screenshots or game name, like on some games' boxarts (example is attached).
I was thinking along something like this (see attchment):
Attachments:
warning.jpg (225 Kb)
mdqp: Is this true also for games which have both single and multi player, but where the multiplayer is arguably the main mode (for example, fighting games)
mqstout: I thoroughly enjoy a good fighting game, and rarely play with others, which is the occasional couch play. The Soul Calibur games [console 2-5], for instance, had great single-player content and are feature-rich without touching multiplayer. Tower mode, settable difficulties, etc. (Which is one of the things held against Absolver and how it gates a bunch of its content through required online multiplayer, even for single player content. I.e., the game has DRMed single-player.)
That's why I said "arguably". :)

I play fighting games online, but it's not as if I hate the single-player content (although a lot of games have come out with lacklustre single-player in recent years), and I enjoy that part as well. I was hoping to hear GOG's stance on games where it might be harder to determine what's the main focus, or where the main focus is the multiplayer but there is more to the game as well. Fighting games are an example, but perhaps there are better ones.
I think it's great news, it will be nice to see many online games on gog.
MarkoH01: I dislike the idea that GOG wants to offer additional online only games and therefore (as confirmed by GOG) additoional DRM'd products - no matter if they are marked on the site or not. It has been said again and again that GOG is stretching the line of "DRM-free only" more and more and it does not matter at all how often GOG is trying to reassure us that it won't influence their DRM-free policy at all since it already HAS and unfortunytely they are trying to continue to go this route.

In the end GOG will have a portion of DRM'd games and a portion of DRM-Free games - which is something I have already on humble ... itch.io is completely DRM-ftree as is Zoom platform ... no, Ithis is not advertising. it is a reminder that GOG is given up their niche others love to fill in if they decide to go this way.

In my opinion GOG continues to fail to know their core customer base. They want to grow their customer base and get those who normally use Steam, Epic, online only games and whatnot ... but they don't realize that they simply can't get both. Those new customers GOG is aiming for are those who are used to Steam and co with a much better client, almost up to date games, more features and much more ... they will go back to Steam and co eventually anyway because GOG is more expensive, has not so many games, has so often missing updates and/or missing achievements and/or missing additional features and DLC. It is my opinion that GOG should conentrate on THEIR specific customer base who is and was loyal to them since basically decades instead of trying to attract those customers that are used to stores they will never be able to compete. The GOG core user base does not want to be unsure if a game is DRM'd or not - they buy, they play, they are happy and they know that they will never need online requirement ... you know ... exactly what GOG promised on their front page years ago.

So no - I think it is a really bad idea and it would be the start of something that would change GOG ompletely ... but not for better ...

Of course that is only my personal opinion.
itch.io sells DRM steam games. ZOOM to small to know how they will turn out in future. But anyways great post
Post edited October 20, 2022 by Syphon72
high rated
my name is grompy catte: I don't have a problem with actual multiplayer-only games being here and requiring a connection - but I am wary this is a back door to excuse things like the Hitman 2016 online requirement. That is not a multi-player game and there is no justification for it requiring a connection.
THIS!

additionally:

Singleplayer game with online-requirement are total BS!

Multiplayer games without the ability to host your own server are a farce, because they are _never_ safe from shutdown.

The code for selfhost-servers has been around for decades.

PS; no interest in in online only games, here.
Post edited October 20, 2022 by dyscode
Why do you shop on GOG? If it's not for customer-friendly experiences like lack of DRM, you're in the wrong place.
mqstout: Why do you shop on GOG? If it's not for customer-friendly experiences like lack of DRM, you're in the wrong place.
Well online only game like Insurgency is fine because it still has offline with bots. But a game like fortnite is not to me.
high rated
Clownski_: Completely understandable. That's why online-only games will have an appropriate tag and will be marked as such on the game page. It's only up to you whether you want to play them or not!
In the case of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, I'd argue the online-only term is a bit harsh, since you can play it in LAN. Or am I missing something?

In my book an "online only" multiplayer game is dead if the service that hosts said "online only" multiplayer dies. Any game that comes with LAN multiplayer is exempt from the term, IMHO.

Just my 2 cents.
high rated
aluinie: I am happy for the people who want this but for me i just want single player DRM free games.
Same. I've lost interest in online multiplayer for reasons that go beyond just DRM. Also ironic given yesterday's headlines:-
https://www.techspot.com/news/96381-ea-shutting-down-online-servers-several-games-coming.html

One concern I will express is exactly how will this impact single-player DRM-Free games, ie, I don't want to see "DRM-Free" single-player titles with 'online bonus content' gated online or behind a client 'pushing the boundaries' of what DRM-Free is on the back of "well we now have online multiplayer titles and it's less DRM relative to those". Single-player titles need to remain 100% reinstallable, playable and archivable offline.
Post edited October 20, 2022 by AB2012