It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello again! In this GOG 2022 update, we want to talk about online games and their place on GOG. Many great titles designed to be played with friends are not available here, and we want to change that. For us, it is crucial that we explain our thoughts on introducing more online games and better understand how you feel about it.

GOG was founded as a place to preserve games and make them last forever. We believe in freedom of choice and are committed to developing GOG as a gamer-first platform where you can collect and play the games you love – from all-time classics all the way to modern hits.

For the last 14 years, we’ve built a catalog for various tastes: for those who want to (re)discover classics, the fans of CD PROJEKT RED games, for people who love unique indies and exceptional single-player hits. We’ve also added GWENT: The Witcher Card Game to scratch that itch for multiplayer online games. Introducing more online-only games on GOG will help us cater to the needs of our growing audience, who are seeking a broader range of games, which will also allow us to continue our efforts to make games last forever.

Many of you already enjoy playing online titles, while some might question “since online-only games require an internet connection, how is this DRM-free?”. It is not – online-only games that are designed to be played with others are a separate category of games.

Rest assured this will not influence our DRM-free approach. GOG will remain the best platform for single-player DRM-free gaming, with a dedicated approach to classics and game preservation – something that’s at the very core of who we are.

Going forward, online-only multiplayer games will be marked as such on the game page – it’s up to you to decide whether you want to play them.

We’re happy and proud of the value we are creating for you to enjoy single-player games on GOG. We believe we can also bring new, unique value to those of you seeking online-only experiences. We’re eager to listen to your feedback on that in the comments.
It's becoming too much work to shop on this store for a customer like me who wants games that I know will work without online connections or other such requirements and validation schemes.

I came here for DRM-free, not "DRM-free," so to speak. I don't even want to read this topic other than the responses of a few users I trust, since I'm sure that other folks will be defending this step, saying it's okay as long as there's an option to sort them, etc, with of course no regard for long-term implications. And don't even get me started on the subreddit, aka Galaxy fan club, since I'm sure most there will enthusiastically support this further encroachment.

Usually, when GOG has made a move unpopular with the old school users/the userbase in general, it's accompanied by a release of a highly desired game. So congrats if that's the case, will be stoked to see Resident Evil or some similar equivalent finally arrive here! That said, maybe it just happened already with Skyrim? One thing I know; I stopped buying other than what I consider "must-have", due to the increasing online/client creep on this store.
rjbuffchix: It's becoming too much work to shop on this store for a customer like me who wants games that I know will work without online connections or other such requirements and validation schemes.
What are you talking about? 1400 games from gog. Not once did I need online connection or other such requirements and validation schemes. Maybe your talking about the future of GOG?
Post edited October 20, 2022 by Syphon72
I understand from my financial standpoint this is a good move, and I hope it hope it helps you in the long run. It's going to make a lot of people mad, but sometimes change does. I appreciate it and I'm thankful that you are clearly marking them online only. Maybe we can use this as incentive to bring in more games, DRM free of course. And with the networking back end of Galaxy, maybe cross compatibility with steam on some titles?
Nearly a decade ago, GOG asked for opinions about 'primarily multiplayer focused' games, found that most respondents would be fine with a Planetary Annihilation release, and then didn't release it anyway. Maybe this will work for them now they've actually taken the plunge; maybe it'll go the way of the movie section.

https://www.slideshare.net/GOGcom/gog-survey-results-v2
More drm games on gog, lol at gog trying to spin it as another category to hide the fact.
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is a multiplayer-only game that supports both: online and local play.
The game card appears to have been changed. Now this could have been a win for GOG if they'd properly looked into it and labeled in the first place (and changed their tone in this companion article... though this writing is more about preparing people for more Gwent-likes coming in the future than explaining this title).

So it appears to be a DRM-free release afterall. Still not my cuppa, but falls on the right side of things it seems.
Post edited October 20, 2022 by mqstout
.Ra: More drm games on gog, lol at gog trying to spin it as another category to hide the fact.
And don't forget the forum. They are forcing us to be online to post messages. It's a real decline :D
high rated
GOG adds a popular freeware game from some years ago, using a quake 3 engine with everything that comes with it, including easy to use multiplayer and bots and whatnot, you name it, great right? People can once again join their friends in some cool multiplayer combat, using whichever servers are still running, or starting their own, or going LAN or whatever, it's the freakin' Quake 3 engine multiplayer.

But leave it to GOG forum's best and brightest to come up with some brilliant hot takes on this :D
I will wait to pass judgement, as I'm willing to see beyond just Wolfenstein: ET, how the 'online-only' aspect is handled. If it is strictly for multiplayer titles that do not require a developer/publisher server to function (and the various implementations and forms that can take), nor any kind of external account/client required in order to play, I can see that being fine, as its own subsection of the store.

There are plenty of freeware multiplayer shooters that are spun off from the open source Quake3 engine that would fit into such a category, such as Warfork and Alien Arena (outdated as they may be as references)

If this will be used as a trojan horse to reclassify "single player" games, like Hitman 2016 in its original gog-release form, that's where I have an issue and would prefer gog find other avenues of growth.
ah. ok. cool.

it's been about a year since the hitman debacle. i was wondering.

i guess this is how you're planning to crowbar games like that onto gog.

thanks, but no?
I wonder if this potentially includes reviving dead MMOs like Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot, etc.
This is indeed sad news for me. This announcement today is a far cry from the store's original selling point. The sole reason I've used GOG since it's launch day in Canada was because of it's novel (at the time) DRM free game ownership.

I feel this is the second worse decision made in the history of the company. The first, of course, being the two monks drama with the GOG website itself going offline for a few days. No one had access to anything not already downloaded. When they did come back online it was with the Baldur's Gate games available for purchase.

Right now the CDPR decision to release Cyberpunk 2077 in it's less than perfect seems like a better company decision then this one made by GOG today. And look how well that worked out for CDPR.

Whereas I used to feel GOG was a safe gamer space I don't feel that way anymore. I guess I just have to be extra cautious with what I'm buying here so I don't get got.
GOG.com: We believe in freedom of choice and are committed to developing GOG as a gamer-first platform where you can collect and play the games you love – from all-time classics all the way to modern hits.
You use pretty language to justify selling DRMed games, but if you truly believed in "freedom of choice" you wouldn't have killed the GOG Downloader. The hypocrisy is palpable.
What about online games the user can set up his/her own servers, without depending on 3rd party services? Those, the way I see it, are the closest to "DRM free multiplayer" I can think of. Perhaps it'd be interesting to give a push for those too.
MarkoH01: In my opinion GOG continues to fail to know their core customer base.
Looking at the general reception so far in this thread, are you sure about that?

MarkoH01: You can get every itch.io game DRM-free afaik ... you might sometimes get an ADDITIONAL Steam key though.
I never said that Zoom or even itch would be a big competition for GOG, I simply said that they would love to fill the niche GOG is willing to leave.
Syphon72: Are you sure? I remember finding couple games I wanted from them that only had steam keys. Maybe I'm wrong. I understand now sorry about that.
Just a small correction, that doesn't seem completely true. Gladiabots [Modded - removed link to other storefront.] for example wants you to create an account with the developer in order to play the single player campaign. At least I did not find a workaround for that case. Furthermore a purchase of Dead Cells [Modded - removed link to other storefront.] seems to only get you a Steam key.

That is the exception, though. Most games I've encountered there are indeed DRM-free and any Steam keys that come attached are a bonus.
Post edited October 20, 2022 by Clownski_