It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey, GOGgers,

We're not perfect, we're exploring new frontiers, and we make mistakes. We thought DRM-Free was so important that you'd prefer we bring you more DRM-Free games and Fair Price was less critical and that it could be sacrificed in some cases. The last two week's worth of comments in our forums (nearly 10k!), show that's not the case. We didn’t listen and we let you down. We shouldn't sacrifice one of our core values in an attempt to advance another. We feel bad about that, and we're sorry. Us being sorry is not of much use to you, so let’s talk about how we will fix it.

One: DRM-free forever. Abandoning fixed regional pricing means it will probably take longer to get some games, but you've made it clear that sacrificing fair pricing for more DRM-free games isn't acceptable.

Two: We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets. For now it will be with $5.99 and $9.99 game codes. In a couple of months, once we have such functionality implemented, we will give you store credit instead, which then you will be able to use towards any purchase and cover the price of it in full or partially. Effectively gamers from all around the world will be able to benefit from the US prices.

This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3 (full details here), Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3. If you remember the Fair Price Package for The Witcher 2, this will be exactly the same.

Three: We still intend to introduce the pricing in local currencies. Let us explain why we want to do it and how we want to make it fair for everyone. From the very beginning our intention was to make things easier for users whose credit cards/payment systems are not natively in USD. The advantages are simple because the price is more understandable and easier to relate to. There would be no exchange rates involved, no transaction fees, and no other hidden charges. However after reading your comments, we realized we have taken an important element away: the choice. In order to fix this, we'll offer the option of paying in the local currency or the equivalent in USD. This way, how you pay is always your choice.

Four: You are what matters, and we will be sure to involve you all more in what we're doing and why we're doing it. Let's start by meeting you at GDC - we’d like to invite you to meet us face-to-face Monday the 17th at GDC. Obviously, not all of you can come to San Francisco, so we want to invite all of you to an online event with us early in April to ask us whatever you would like. More details soon.

The bottom line is simple: there may be companies that won't work with us (although we will work hard to convince the most stubborn ones ;). Yes, it means we might miss out on some games, but at the same time GOG.com will remain true to its values and will keep on offering you the best of DRM-free gaming with Fair Prices.

Once again thank you for caring so much about GOG.com. We will work hard not to disappoint you again.

--Marcin "iWi" Iwinski & Guillaume "TheFrenchMonk" Rambourg
TheEnigmaticT: If you like AoW3, pick it up. If you don't, then don't.
USA customers weren't supposed to get make up keys were they??

I'm pretty sure something went wrong with my AoE 3 preorder yesterday.
Post edited March 12, 2014 by OldFatGuy
Senteria: Oh I think I get it. By selling new games with regional pricing and covering the difference you lure people here who like that idea, and you pray to god that they will buy more games on GOG? Later when the prices change and you can have a flat price, you will start to make money again? That's pretty risky. =o
JudasIscariot: Well, I don't know all the finer details but I think the folks up top have things figured out :)
We do, actually. We have EVERYTHING figured out. We solved the meaning of life a few months ago, but decided it wasn't interesting enough to share.

EDIT: The meaning of life appears to be "Eat more chocolate," by the way.
Post edited March 12, 2014 by TheEnigmaticT
OldFatGuy: USA customers weren't supposed to get make up keys were they??

AoE 3? It would be nice if MS were on board...
JudasIscariot: Well, I don't know all the finer details but I think the folks up top have things figured out :)
TheEnigmaticT: We do, actually. We have EVERYTHING figured out. We solved the meaning of life a few months ago, but decided it wasn't interesting enough to share.

Lotto numbers, please give :)

You should get keys that are good for one of 6 games, because we like you. :) EUR and UK users will get codes--eventually--good as store credit for any game they like of $5.99 or $9.99 price, depending on the issued codes. The only folks who don't get bonus codes at all are the ones paying RUB prices. :)

park_84: AoE 3? It would be nice if MS were on board...
Ooops. AoW 3.

I'm pretty sure even if MS was on board, I'm too late to preorder AoE3. :P
TheEnigmaticT: EDIT: The meaning of life appears to be "Eat more chocolate," by the way.
I'm sure you wanted to say "Eat more chocolate while playing great classic drm-free games" ;)
Post edited March 12, 2014 by hmcpretender
TheEnigmaticT: We do, actually. We have EVERYTHING figured out. We solved the meaning of life a few months ago, but decided it wasn't interesting enough to share.

Meaning of life - bullets and cheese. Figure out what that means, and there you go.
TheEnigmaticT: EDIT: The meaning of life appears to be "Eat more chocolate," by the way.
hmcpretender: I'm sure you wanted to say ""Eat more chocolate while playing great classic drm-free games" ;)
The subordinate clause there is more of a bonus. Eating more chocolate appears to be the reason we're all here. Playing DRM-Free games is just what you should do for fun while you're at it. :D
TheEnigmaticT: [i]snip
[/i]
[...]or just to help show the Triumph guys that they're you appreciate them being mensches for adapting to the changes we're putting in place, there's good reasons to pick up AoW3 if you're inclined. :)
[snip

GOG.com would like to thank Triumph Studios, the fantastic development team behind Age of Wonders 3, for working with us to make this offer possible.
This coming up again and again got me curious and a bit confused.

In the OP, you state that will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets.
If it's solely GOG's pockets, how and to what extend is Triumph Studios (or any other publisher/ developer in similar cases) involved? Does GOG need permission or approval to offer the extra game codes?

This may sound too privy and I understand that you may not be at liberty to go into details, but some clarification would really help understand what kind of connection there is, and why and how you expect it to have a negative impact on your negotiations.

iWi: It relates to the classics as follows - if you choose USD you pay the USD price i.e. $5.99 as per your example. If you go for the local price you will pay a fixed price in given currency - for example €4.49. You are free to choose whatever works best for you at a given time and yes - currencies will fluctuate, so sometimes the USD price will be a better deal and sometimes the local price, but the differences should not be big.
TheEnigmaticT: That will vary from game to game. For games with regional pricing differences, we will offer credit back to you guys (in the form of game codes now; store credit later) for the approximate difference in the game's price vs. the US (or index) price. In either circumstance, you will be able to pay in your local currency for the transaction. Let's explain by example of our very own Age of Wonders III. The standard edition of the game is $39.99. In the UK, it is 29.99 GBP; for the moment we don't accept any currency so we're charging UK gamers $49.99 USD. That's a $9.99 difference, so we will be providing any UK gamer with a game code good for any game with a full price of $9.99 or less in our catalog. In the future, once we have the capacity, we will allow UK gamers to either pay in USD or in GBP at their whim, but they will need to pay the GBP price for their region.

Now, we've mentioned that we are going to be fighting for flat pricing for games, and we mean this. A quick examination of the costs of regional pricing using publicly-available information would show you why: it costs us money.
example

For games that do not have regional pricing (like our catalog of classic content), you will be able to pay in regional currency or in USD, depending on your preference, but you will be paying the same flat price. A $5.99 game will be available to you for either $5.99 or £3.49, depending on your preferences.

Hope that answers your questions. :)

snip
Thanks guys for making the situation crystal clear and that it is indeed the answer I was hoping for :-)
Thank you for changing your mind GOG :-)

How about another insomnia sale so we can all celebrate?
Way to go people! I'll stick with you as long as you stick to the roots...
shayne3: Thank you for changing your mind GOG :-)

How about another insomnia sale so we can all celebrate?
that limited sale auction house thing was emptying my wallet.
CarrionCrow: Meaning of life - bullets and cheese. Figure out what that means, and there you go.
Bullets and cheese.......

Swiss cheese is the meaning of life???
hmcpretender: I'm sure you wanted to say ""Eat more chocolate while playing great classic drm-free games" ;)
TheEnigmaticT: The subordinate clause there is more of a bonus. Eating more chocolate appears to be the reason we're all here. Playing DRM-Free games is just what you should do for fun while you're at it. :D
Sadly the game play is shorter than the supply of chocolate. I guess evolution is that our form should be blobulous