It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey, GOGgers,

We're not perfect, we're exploring new frontiers, and we make mistakes. We thought DRM-Free was so important that you'd prefer we bring you more DRM-Free games and Fair Price was less critical and that it could be sacrificed in some cases. The last two week's worth of comments in our forums (nearly 10k!), show that's not the case. We didn’t listen and we let you down. We shouldn't sacrifice one of our core values in an attempt to advance another. We feel bad about that, and we're sorry. Us being sorry is not of much use to you, so let’s talk about how we will fix it.

One: DRM-free forever. Abandoning fixed regional pricing means it will probably take longer to get some games, but you've made it clear that sacrificing fair pricing for more DRM-free games isn't acceptable.

Two: We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets. For now it will be with $5.99 and $9.99 game codes. In a couple of months, once we have such functionality implemented, we will give you store credit instead, which then you will be able to use towards any purchase and cover the price of it in full or partially. Effectively gamers from all around the world will be able to benefit from the US prices.

This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3 (full details here), Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3. If you remember the Fair Price Package for The Witcher 2, this will be exactly the same.

Three: We still intend to introduce the pricing in local currencies. Let us explain why we want to do it and how we want to make it fair for everyone. From the very beginning our intention was to make things easier for users whose credit cards/payment systems are not natively in USD. The advantages are simple because the price is more understandable and easier to relate to. There would be no exchange rates involved, no transaction fees, and no other hidden charges. However after reading your comments, we realized we have taken an important element away: the choice. In order to fix this, we'll offer the option of paying in the local currency or the equivalent in USD. This way, how you pay is always your choice.

Four: You are what matters, and we will be sure to involve you all more in what we're doing and why we're doing it. Let's start by meeting you at GDC - we’d like to invite you to meet us face-to-face Monday the 17th at GDC. Obviously, not all of you can come to San Francisco, so we want to invite all of you to an online event with us early in April to ask us whatever you would like. More details soon.

The bottom line is simple: there may be companies that won't work with us (although we will work hard to convince the most stubborn ones ;). Yes, it means we might miss out on some games, but at the same time GOG.com will remain true to its values and will keep on offering you the best of DRM-free gaming with Fair Prices.

Once again thank you for caring so much about GOG.com. We will work hard not to disappoint you again.

--Marcin "iWi" Iwinski & Guillaume "TheFrenchMonk" Rambourg
This is excellent news GOG. Thankyou for listening to us.
FlamingFirewire: So does this mean you'd be able to buy something in CDN and not get charged the USD-CDN conversion fee?
I don't believe CDN was a planned local currency.
Gonchi: My reading comprehension must suck, or I'm just a cynical bastard that's over-analyzing certain phrases, but I don't see how anything has actually changed. People seem happy though, so whatever.
Don't feel bad, you're not alone.

The only thing that seems to have actually changed is the introduction of store credit as compensation for new regionally priced games and until then, a free choice of games up to the price difference between the USD and EUR/GBP price points.

But yeah, most people seem happy.
Skiam: Not being a big gamer and only really ever purchasing stuff from GOG I might be ignorant to what this all means. I understand that DRM is essentially a lock that allows a limit on downloads/installs. Does this mean GOG is no longer going to be DRM Free?
No, the DRM free feature hasn't changed at all in the last time. There you can be assured that all games on GOG are DRM free and probably will stay for a very long time.
Disappointed by this backflip.

Clearly 'new' games that would've been headed this way won't now due to the seething masses (can't imagine GoG paying the difference over-and-over again). I've been wanting to get rid of Steam for good, and DRM-free was always far more important than pricing to me. Guess the prospect of getting new release AAA titles DRM free is now just a pipe dream.

Sigh.
SirLesterMarwood: Disappointed by this backflip.

Clearly 'new' games that would've been headed this way won't now due to the seething masses (can't imagine GoG paying the difference over-and-over again). I've been wanting to get rid of Steam for good, and DRM-free was always far more important than pricing to me. Guess the prospect of getting new release AAA titles DRM free is now just a pipe dream.

Sigh.
Be disappointed of the publishers that push these policies instead. And don't buy their games at all (that doesn't necessarily have to mean not playing them, mind you) and tell them exactly why. That's the only way to change things and make sure that eventually regional pricing will no longer be a stumbling block in obtaining games.
Amazing. I was planning on not buying anything from here ever again, but you came around. I love the local prizing solution, it shows that your intentions are pure.
SirLesterMarwood: Clearly 'new' games that would've been headed this way won't now due to the seething masses (can't imagine GoG paying the difference over-and-over again).
Absorbing costs is something that works out over time for businesses. GOG have essentially been doing this all along by not having $1 = €1 as on Steam and elsewhere.
Senteria: ... What happened. ....
My guess is that GOG saw that sales (AoW3 preorders or more) in the high prices regions dropped substantially and then they saw that the new strategy isn't working anyway so they had to fix it.

The store credit is surely a way forward because it is much more flexible and the choice for the currency payment also.

The increase in compensation is an extremely strong hint, that nobody wanted to buy. That is the natural reaction of a seller to breaks in demand.

If they will miss some games... well let's see. But please don't overestimate the "we listened..." part - this is just marketing speak.
I think you're being kind of dumb here GOG. Just release the games for the prices demanded and if it's too high people can wait for a sale. I'd rather have new DRM free games than continue with the mistaken idea that companies can be forced to ignore retail contracts that force regional pricing.

But hey, do whatever you like I guess. There's a strong Eurasian contingent here, that's obvious. Whether their loud complaints would have resulted in more harm than good is highly debatable.
I second the frustrations over this turnaround. I understand people being upset over the regional pricing change, but the upside was that newer and better licensing agreements would be possible, thus giving GOG a real shot at delivering the same level of game publishing as Steam, Origin, Gamersgate, etc... now it will go back to where it was before, indies and a small selection of modern games at discount prices. The DRM policy is good here, so are the prices. But this crusade over what amounts to tiny price increases will come back to bite this community down the road.

It sounds like they're going to introduce some form of credit system in the future similar to Gamersgate's bluecoins. Hopefully that will allow a decent pricing compromise and will still allow them to introduce newer games while sticking with their DRM-free policy.
anthology: ...We would have had the additional choice to get some new games, DRM free and with some free game thrown in, for the same prices as elsewhere.

Now we can only take it or leave it on Steam, Origin and that bunch.
Trilarion: I wonder from where people here take the confidence that newer releases cannot come to GOG anymore? Just because you can now freely select the compensational games? Is this making such a big difference?
Not can't, but won't, because the publishers need to agree on the price before a game can come on GOG.
The improved AoW3 offer is just GOG biting the bullet to appease the customers. So that's NOT something we can expect on a regular basis, because it's not the same deal as simple flat pricing (which GOG will need to stick to from now as promised) and because the free games are coming out of GOGs margins.
Cavalary: DRM free and flat price were both their values and power. And addressing them internationally seems to be a far better idea that nationally just in the areas that are fucked over by it the most. For publishers it's maybe missing some sales from the EU and Australia over potential regional boycotts (that are hard to truly get going anyway, most people not believing in their own power, to put it mildly) but still doing just fine everywhere else vs. missing out on a now-major distributor and potentially also on worldwide sales from people who stick to the DRM free principle, as the other major services are in themselves DRM. The latter will have a stronger impact, especially if it's a clear centralized policy that people from anywhere can back and coordinate in one place.
There are pricing controls set by governments. It's not only publishers, though in some regions it may be. But governments are involved in others in order to protect physical sales. And there's more. So there are national concerns which must be addressed.

GOGs sales directly demonstrate a DRM free market. GOG can show publisher X units sold. Whereas non-sales (DRM boycott) do not directly demonstrate the market. How do you quantify non-sales, until boycotts levels become extreme? GOGs sales got peoples interest. i fear sales will level off if GOGs customer base and its inventory does not continue its rapid growth. What sic irony if "loyal" GOG customers "fearful" of the eroding of founding principles, help to make GOG irrelevant, bringing about its eventual demise.
Gonchi: My reading comprehension must suck, or I'm just a cynical bastard that's over-analyzing certain phrases, but I don't see how anything has actually changed. People seem happy though, so whatever.
From my understanding, the following has changed:

- customers who wish to continue paying in USD can now do so, regardless of their local currency, which will help some people to avoid currency conversion fees.
- game codes will be issued to people buying AoW3 (and other regionally priced games) to cover the difference in value between the price in the US and the price in their region, allowing them to choose any game from the GOG catalogue (not just from a fixed selection).
- in the future, GOG will offer game credits up to the value of the difference between the price in US and other regions, which people can then use towards purchasing other games.
- they will continue to push for flat pricing of games in the future, rather than simply adopting regional pricing for their whole catalogue.

If my understanding is correct, then yes, their position has changed.
Thank you, GOG! This seems like a good compromise.