It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey, GOGgers,

We're not perfect, we're exploring new frontiers, and we make mistakes. We thought DRM-Free was so important that you'd prefer we bring you more DRM-Free games and Fair Price was less critical and that it could be sacrificed in some cases. The last two week's worth of comments in our forums (nearly 10k!), show that's not the case. We didn’t listen and we let you down. We shouldn't sacrifice one of our core values in an attempt to advance another. We feel bad about that, and we're sorry. Us being sorry is not of much use to you, so let’s talk about how we will fix it.

One: DRM-free forever. Abandoning fixed regional pricing means it will probably take longer to get some games, but you've made it clear that sacrificing fair pricing for more DRM-free games isn't acceptable.

Two: We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets. For now it will be with $5.99 and $9.99 game codes. In a couple of months, once we have such functionality implemented, we will give you store credit instead, which then you will be able to use towards any purchase and cover the price of it in full or partially. Effectively gamers from all around the world will be able to benefit from the US prices.

This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3 (full details here), Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3. If you remember the Fair Price Package for The Witcher 2, this will be exactly the same.

Three: We still intend to introduce the pricing in local currencies. Let us explain why we want to do it and how we want to make it fair for everyone. From the very beginning our intention was to make things easier for users whose credit cards/payment systems are not natively in USD. The advantages are simple because the price is more understandable and easier to relate to. There would be no exchange rates involved, no transaction fees, and no other hidden charges. However after reading your comments, we realized we have taken an important element away: the choice. In order to fix this, we'll offer the option of paying in the local currency or the equivalent in USD. This way, how you pay is always your choice.

Four: You are what matters, and we will be sure to involve you all more in what we're doing and why we're doing it. Let's start by meeting you at GDC - we’d like to invite you to meet us face-to-face Monday the 17th at GDC. Obviously, not all of you can come to San Francisco, so we want to invite all of you to an online event with us early in April to ask us whatever you would like. More details soon.

The bottom line is simple: there may be companies that won't work with us (although we will work hard to convince the most stubborn ones ;). Yes, it means we might miss out on some games, but at the same time GOG.com will remain true to its values and will keep on offering you the best of DRM-free gaming with Fair Prices.

Once again thank you for caring so much about GOG.com. We will work hard not to disappoint you again.

--Marcin "iWi" Iwinski & Guillaume "TheFrenchMonk" Rambourg
OldFatGuy: I swear I heard an audible "AHHhhh" when I pulled it out.
I usually get groans or shrieks of terror.
high rated
Reading this thread *sigh* leaves with one wish, and I'm serious. GOG, Would you please re-institute regional pricing and triple all prices in the US????

God I would PAY to see the 180 on the reactions.
Yeah! You are too good for us.

Even if we continue to have regional pricing, my main problem was knowing you had stopped "caring" about that even though you supposedly considered it such an important issue it was one of your marketing taglines. And of course the little fear that regional pricing would lead to regional restrictions/time-locks was there too.

I especially like the option to choose what currency to use, that's a very important choice and it's missing from pretty much every other online game store.
high rated
Starmaker: This annoucement would have never happened if not for the "crybabies". So yes, if I have to write it twice, it's you. You fail reading comprehension.
Sorry, try again.

Complaining about a company's actions and branding said company with all kinds of labels in a fit of rage are two separate things. My post addressed the latter.

Was GOG in the wrong? I'm not going to get into an argument over that. I'm strictly talking about those who were pretty much saying GOG was turning evil, those who went far beyond simply voicing their disdain for GOG's actions. It seems to me that GOG is showing tremendous goodwill toward the consumers in the aftermath of all this, which to me is the opposite of greedy.

If you still can't understand the point of my post, then we'll just have to agree to disagree because I really could not care less about what a stranger on the Internet thinks of me.
Yay! Reversing a chosen course is often much harder than just going on. Well done GOG, kudos to you!
OldFatGuy: Reading this thread *sigh* leaves with one wish, and I'm serious. GOG, Would you please re-institute regional pricing and triple all prices in the US????

I'd be happy with a global Euro based price for games , that seems like fair world pricing to me, and would probably meet the publisher's wishes.

I'm sure the US would love to hold on to that one world fair price thing then ;)
Post edited March 11, 2014 by Pheace
There is no way to not love you, GOG :)

paulrainer: you also need to sack your marketing guy - the current one you have kind of sucks balls and doesnt seem to have any experience in real business.
TET is here to stay.
justanoldgamer: how about an option of not getting free codes for games with regional prices for people who are not fine with GOG loosing money?
real.geizterfahr: Just don't use them?!
I'm no accountant but I don't think that's how it works. It seems to me that GOG will have to put money aside (in a "don't touch" account or in escrow) for each code given to make sure they'll be able to pay the publisher of the game the client might eventually choose. This is insurance against being flooded with thousands (or hundred of thousands?) of people using their code at once.
This is the best example for listening and understanding customer needs.
OldFatGuy: Reading this thread *sigh* leaves with one wish, and I'm serious. GOG, Would you please re-institute regional pricing and triple all prices in the US????

I think we had enough drama for some time. ;)
Guys...

You. Are. Awesome.

I love you, really.

Thanks.
low rated
Novotnus: There is no way to not love you, GOG :)

paulrainer: you also need to sack your marketing guy - the current one you have kind of sucks balls and doesnt seem to have any experience in real business.
Novotnus: TET is here to stay.
thats a shame!
GOG will have more marketing issues in the future...guaranteed.
paulrainer: no , they have watched their sales plummet this last 2 weeks dispite running a few promos so they have been forced to apologise for making a mess of regional pricing..... dont mistake this as gog being good guys...they tried to rip us off and it didnt work so now they are begging us to buy their stuff again.
I didn't deny GOG any money :) Actually I bought a game before it was announced on the main page :)
I kept checking how said game is doing on the 'bestselling list' and, surprise, surprise, people were buying it, it climbed up and up.
So, yes, this announcement is a great PR move and a great display of customer love.
Post edited March 11, 2014 by Novotnus
I was surprised you just didn't do a survey first, like you did a while back. It was just - we're bringing it in whether you like it or not.

It would be amusing for a short while, yes.