It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tfishell: Questions for any Resident Evil fanatics: would there be any good reason(s) for GOG to release the original Windows version, as well as the Remastered version of RE1? And how hard is it to get the original release running on modern machines?
CharlesGrey: Are you talking about the classic, original version of RE1, the very first one? ...
Yes I was, cheers to you and Carrion for the answers.
tfishell: Questions for any Resident Evil fanatics: would there be any good reason(s) for GOG to release the original Windows version, as well as the Remastered version of RE1? And how hard is it to get the original release running on modern machines?
CARRiON-XCII: Depends. Do you value nostalgia? Because personally, nostalgia alone isn't enough for me to sit through a game, no matter how much I liked it. The original RE was fantastic, but now? The only thing it has left is nostalgia now that there is a (really fucking good) remaster for it.

The remaster has fantastic visuals, and makes nice additions and changes from the original to make it both more a tense experience and a slightly less bullshit experience.

As for how hard it is to run? About as difficult as any other Win9x game. In other words, except to do some work to get it running well.
I prefer the original uncut version. Maybe it's nostalgia but I like the intro and cutscenes with real human actors.
Silverhawk170485: I prefer the original uncut version. Maybe it's nostalgia but I like the intro and cutscenes with real human actors.
Those were really cheesy, as well as some of the dialogue in the game but I loved that about the original.
Silverhawk170485: I prefer the original uncut version. Maybe it's nostalgia but I like the intro and cutscenes with real human actors.
X-com: Those were really cheesy, as well as some of the dialogue in the game but I loved that about the original.
For some nostalgia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlRvYevvS00

;)
Post edited April 05, 2017 by Silverhawk170485
Silverhawk170485: For some nostalgia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlRvYevvS00

;)
Yeah that's definitely cheesy alright, made me laugh. Here's some top 10 dialogue from RE1, some of it's hilarious.

Back in the day I finished the game over 15 times with Jill, including rearranged mode in the Director's Cut, those were some of my fave gaming times, love the magnum (especially infinite version), best gun in any game for me.
Post edited April 05, 2017 by X-com
Has Been Heroes would probably get a GOG release

https://twitter.com/Frozenbyte/status/849514573241733120
Post edited April 05, 2017 by Ingsoc85
This ! The actress who played Jill was gorgeous.
CARRiON-XCII: Depends. Do you value nostalgia? Because personally, nostalgia alone isn't enough for me to sit through a game, no matter how much I liked it. The original RE was fantastic, but now? The only thing it has left is nostalgia now that there is a (really fucking good) remaster for it.

The remaster has fantastic visuals, and makes nice additions and changes from the original to make it both more a tense experience and a slightly less bullshit experience.

As for how hard it is to run? About as difficult as any other Win9x game. In other words, except to do some work to get it running well.
It's not about nostalgia for me, it's about context, game preservation and historical value.
I'm not going to play that game either way.

But, yes, original versions are a lot more important than remakes. That's why are require drm-free anyway. If I only wanted the instant gratification (or suffering) of playing the game right away, I'd do Steam.
Post edited April 05, 2017 by rgnrk
haydenaurion: Sweet Jesus! Thanks again SCPM! :)

Perhaps that GOG tweet about Resident Evil was indeed hinting at a release after all.
CharlesGrey: Indeed. Dragon's Dogma is nice, but I'm more excited about the general idea of Capcom releasing games here ( again ). If it's true, then it might also increase chances of other Japanese publishers bringing their games here, such as Sega or Konami.
Wasn't GOG hiring a japanese-speaking PR some time ago? I'd say that means they're up to something related to the japanese videogame market.
high rated
New developer in the catalog: Jacob Janerka for Paradigm adventure. Release today (now?).
Paradigm is a surreal adventure game set in the strange and post apocalyptic Eastern European country of Krusz.

Play as the handsome mutant, Paradigm, who's past comes back to haunt him in the form of a genetically engineered sloth that vomits candy.

Paradigm’s unfortunate life begins at DUPA genetics, a company who sells prodigy children to the rich and powerful who don’t want to leave their inheritance to their poor excuse for biological children.

Something went wrong during Paradigm’s growing process and he was left horribly mutated. To save their reputation, DUPA dumped the hideous infant in a nearby post Neo-Soviet abandoned town, forcing him to fend for himself.

Paradigm didn’t let this get him down and found solace in music. He dreams of becoming the best electronic music artist the world has ever seen! Unfortunately his past is set to catch up with him and he must reluctantly step up as the world’s saviour. When really he just wants to finish his latest EP.

On his journey, Paradigm meets an array of strange characters. Some include: a psychopathic superhero, an evil sloth, a secretary knight , and a glam metal cult leader pug.
Post edited April 05, 2017 by The-Business
The-Business: Paradigm
Nice! I remember the Kickstarter but I completely forgot about it ever since.

Hmmm... looks like the promised Linux version will come some time after release. So will my money, then. In the meantime I'll have to content myself watching some regulars rage about the excessive amount of adventures being released on GOG. :P
The-Business: Paradigm
muntdefems: Nice! I remember the Kickstarter but I completely forgot about it ever since.

Hmmm... looks like the promised Linux version will come some time after release. So will my money, then. In the meantime I'll have to content myself watching some regulars rage about the excessive amount of adventures being released on GOG. :P
Those same regulars weren't here a few years back when it was one RTS after another being released :P
muntdefems: Nice! I remember the Kickstarter but I completely forgot about it ever since.

JudasIscariot: Those same regulars weren't here a few years back when it was one RTS after another being released :P
They would have also been whining anyway. Most of them are also the ones crying against platformers, and basically any indie game. They're AAA crowd obsessed with whatever bethesda game is trending in the forums.

And the Mehme is getting really tiresome.

JudasIscariot: Those same regulars weren't here a few years back when it was one RTS after another being released :P
I beg to differ; I'm pretty sure I already nagged about the lack of Skyrim back then already ;)
mistermumbles: Wouldn't it be funny if GOG kept feeding you wrong hints to throw you off your game? =P
No!