It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

01kipper: Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (PS4)
(...)
I got about 1/4 of the way through the game before I called it quits. At first I thought I wasn’t enjoying the game as much because I needed to get used to the controls (it’s a bit awkward on the PS4), but after playing for a number of hours I was pretty used to the controller but still not enjoying the game.
muntdefems: WTF, really? That's the game in the series I was most eager to play (probably because it's the only Linux-native one), what a downer...

Right now I'm midway through Critter Chronicles and I'm starting to get tired of it a bit... Maybe I should take a break before tackling TBoUT2, then. :\
You probably should, especially since 2 seems quite long.
muntdefems: WTF, really? That's the game in the series I was most eager to play (probably because it's the only Linux-native one), what a downer...

Right now I'm midway through Critter Chronicles and I'm starting to get tired of it a bit... Maybe I should take a break before tackling TBoUT2, then. :\
I agree with omega64, if you're starting to get a bit tired you should definitely take a break. Maybe I was getting a bit of BoUT overload by this point too, which could have contributed to my feelings as well (although I did enjoy CC). BoUT2 is about twice as long as BoUT. I checked other reviews of BoUT2 (after I stopped playing) and apparently I'm in the minority with my opinion of the game. The fact that I was using the awkward PS4 controls didn't help either.
Gemini Rue

This is a point-and-click adventure game with a great “Blade Runner”/noir/dystopian atmosphere.

However, that’s about the only good thing I can say about it. The voice acting is very bad, and the art is passable at best (so I turned off the voices and the portraits after the first few minutes of play). The game itself is very linear and there is not much in terms of real puzzles (they are pretty simple and straightforward), it’s more like an interactive story. There are timed events (you must be fast enough to complete them), including an horrendous combat system. I also found it annoying that there was no windowed mode, and my mouse cursor often got stuck on the edge of the screen. The story itself is OK (I played for a couple of hours), but not enough to make me want to continue past all the flaws.
Wasteland 2

I just can't get into it and I don't know the reason. I'm a huge fan of Fallout 1 & 2 so, naturally, I was in great anticipation for a modern post apocalyptic cRPG such as W2. I backed this game in KS, I've waited for it to be completed, I've waited for the first patches to be delivered, then I heard about a DC edition so I waited a little more...

Well, the right time came for me and I'm already a few hours into the game (already fixed the stuff that neaded fixing for those who know what I'm talking about) but I can't find any motivation to continue playing a game which is not fun for me. I generally like the tactical combat, graphics, writing etc and while on paper it should have been something extraordinary for my tastes, it seems that in reality it doesn't work very well for me. I found that i don't like the characters very much, I don't care about what they do & why, who they are etc.

To be honest, I didn't like it since the beginning but I thought it may get better later on. It didn't so far and I think it's better if I quit and play another game for a while. That means I'm not quite over with it since I'll leave it installed in my system, but I'm not sure when I'll get back to it..
Vythonaut: Wasteland 2
While i'm not going to quit i feel the same, the 4 rangers that you create don't have any personality and it's hard to care about them after playing the Shadowrun games where you even have side quests for each member of your party.

Not to say that whatever i do, i always feel like i've done something wrong, for example, one npc that would make my game easier died and i don't know why or how, after searching for something that i needed (as i said, make my game easier) i found where he was and what i needed to do but when i arrived there he was just... dead. I suspect it was due to a random battle that i had in that area but NO WAY IN HELL i would know that he was there and he could be killed.

I feel like this is a game to be played a second time, the first playthrough is just one big tutorial.
Post edited February 14, 2016 by Cyraxpt
Vythonaut: Wasteland 2
Cyraxpt: [..] the 4 rangers that you create don't have any personality and it's hard to care about them [...]
I agree with that. I find that in a story-driven cRPG it's best to let the player create only one character (or provide him with one, like in Planescape: Torment for example) and introduce any other companions as the story progresses. Seems like full party generation works for me only in combat oriented games such as Icewind Dale or Temple of Elemental Evil.
I haven't given up on the entire game but I have to abandon my current playthrough of XCom EU after about 11 hours or so because most countries are in a state of panic (4-5 bars) and even though I have laser and plasma weapons and good armor etc. I have already lost US and am about to loose 3-4 more countries because I totally forgot to create more satellites so I'm kinda screwed here.

All in all a good game that I might give another try but it does get a little repetitive from time to time.
Well, it appears part of my problem with not getting better rankings (beyond Journeyman) in the Mage's Guild in Daggerfall is because I thought just finishing the Guild quests is enough (I think I've finished like 20 of them already, probably, yet still stuck in the second (Journeyman) rank). No, apparently you also have to develop some of your spell skills before you get a better ranking.

So yeah, now I made some combo spell of my own according to some Daggerfall FAQ, and keep casting and aborting it (so that I don't spend any spell points) over and over again, and then sleep. It is supposed to help me advance three different schools of magic (Alteration, Illusion and Destruction), but for some reason it advances only Illusion and Destruction. Oh well, maybe advancing those two schools of magic is enough... Even this seems to take quite a lot of time, I seem to advance only 1% at a time when sleeping.

Also I don't get that training thing either in the guild. Ok so I can train one school of magic for like 400 gold, per day. That way I get a measly 1% increase to that skill, per day. Do I really want to spend 400 gold and a whole day per 1% increase in a school of magic, over and over again? Kinda makes the whole training system useless, it is both faster and cheaper to do it myself by casting empty spells in the air and then sleeping.

I don't know, I feel the experience and magic system in Daggerfall is overly complicated for no good reason, really. It is forcing me to do repetitive things in case I want to improve my character at all.
Post edited February 14, 2016 by timppu
So far, I've given up on Punch Club. It starts out fun with lots of different things to do, but now it's just nothing but oh so painfully slow grinding towards just one goal. It's just boring.

Also, I'm on the verge of giving up on Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Not only is the combat absolutely abysmal, but Farah has an annoying tendency to just stand in the middle of the room and shoot at enemies, thereby aggroing them and getting herself killed and me a big old game over. Just putting the enemies down without dying to your own sluggish blocking or pissing away all of your sand is hard enough without having to babysit a shitty little AI companion at the same time.
First game i quit in 2016: LEGO Star Wars the Complete Saga

Okay, first, even if I don't dislike it, I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars.

Second, it's an older LEGO game, of the era with no voices. The characters are very bland and the maniability is abysmal, as abysmal as LEGO Batman's maniability was. And I quitted LEGO Batman. So...

I hope that the LEGO Star Wars: Clone Wars is better...
I can't seem to fathom why anyone would be playing a lego game and not something else way better, but hey, do whatever you guys like.

Like giving the lego game to your kid and playing Devil May Cry/Arma/Dark Souls/GTA instead? Why? I ask why would you do that?
bad_fur_day1: I can't seem to fathom why anyone would be playing a lego game and not something else way better, but hey, do whatever you guys like.

Like giving the lego game to your kid and playing Devil May Cry/Arma/Dark Souls/GTA instead? Why? I ask why would you do that?
Because LEGO Games (Harry Potter, LOTRO, Marvel, etc...) are really very good games and I enjoy them? Maybe because I don't like Devil May Cry/Arma/GTA? And maybe because everybody has the right to his own tastes? I'm not going out of my way telling you Arma is a bad game, right?
bad_fur_day1: I can't seem to fathom why anyone would be playing a lego game and not something else way better, but hey, do whatever you guys like.

I know, right? Like, why would anyone watch a modern action-packed movie full of CGI when you can watch a classic B/N film from Hollywood's Golden Age? Why, oh God, why?
xa_chan: First game i quit in 2016: LEGO Star Wars the Complete Saga

Okay, first, even if I don't dislike it, I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars.

Second, it's an older LEGO game, of the era with no voices. The characters are very bland and the maniability is abysmal, as abysmal as LEGO Batman's maniability was. And I quitted LEGO Batman. So...

I hope that the LEGO Star Wars: Clone Wars is better...
I ragequit LEGO Harry Potter last year, though that was because the music really got on my tits. You can only listen to the same three tunes from the movies so many times before you'd rather dig your own ear drums out with a pencil than listen to another note of the damn thing.
Broken Sword 3

I rage-quit the game after I failed for at least an hour to get past a scene were you had to act quickly to avoid being shot. The controls in this game are among the worst I have ever seen. They are super sluggish, do not respond quickly enough when they matter and the camera angles are confusing and can mess things up. The escape scene requires me to run away, which seems simple enough. However, the camera is fixated and requires your character to run toward you. But the problem is: pressing the up key is normally used for walking forward, but in some camera angles in can also mean the opposite. So what you have to do is: counterintuitively press down to reset the camera view, then quickly press up to move forward. However, due to the sluggishness of the controls, you are shot almost immediately and have to see a 1-minute cutscene again.

Other than this, the game is not as engaging. Locations are empty, you spend a lot of time walking, checking out locked doors (and there are a LOT of them) and spending time memorising the unintuitive keys.

01kipper: Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (PS4)

After finishing the first two games in the series, I was eager to give the 3rd one a try. I didn’t own BoUT2 for my desktop computer, but I managed to borrow the PS4 disc from my local library.

I got about 1/4 of the way through the game before I called it quits. At first I thought I wasn’t enjoying the game as much because I needed to get used to the controls (it’s a bit awkward on the PS4), but after playing for a number of hours I was pretty used to the controller but still not enjoying the game.

The character artwork was much nicer in this game, much more smooth and cartoon-like. The voice acting is still excellent. The puzzles are still quite logical. But overall I felt like the game was less funny, less silly, and even more slow-paced than BoUT. After completing about 1/4 of the game, nothing (plot-wise) had really happened yet, I still had no idea where the game was heading, which left me a bit lost and unmotivated to continue.
I am torn on this game too. The humour is definitely there, but the plot or engaging story isn't. The game just has no momentum and it seems like they were trying to divert your attention away from the main plot. I think this game is more of a spinoff, like Critter Chronicles, just starring Wilbur. Nate and Critter contribute almost nothing to the main story and their own parts feel pointless and serve no purpose. Ivo has a bit more of her own storyline with the pregnancy, but then the 'mysterious' aspect hinted upon in the first act is wrapped up so quickly and the storyline is not even concluded in any way. The last act is so disconnected from the rest of game, as if you had a blackout for an hour. The ending cutscene and post-credits scene were among the most disappointing conclusions I have seen in years, it felt like a big 'screw you'. To me, this game is not longer than the first game, I actually feel the opposite. The first game felt like a much bigger adventure to me and it was more engaging. Part 2 is just not a 5-star game.

01kipper: Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4)

The game starts out well, it’s funny and a bit silly while Manny is still in his office building. There were a couple of annoyances: the inventory system (you have to scroll through every item one by one until you find the one you want); and the size of some of the areas is very large on the screen, meaning that it takes Manny a seemingly interminable time to cross them (even running). But I was willing to overlook them because I was enjoying the game nevertheless.

However, once Manny leaves the vicinity of his office the game really started to go down hill. I didn’t find the areas or the characters interesting. The story becomes more serious and less light-hearted. Nor was I a fan of the overall art style.

I eventually quit soon after “Year 2” began, I was just not enjoying the game at all anymore. I wasn’t expecting a masterpiece (despite some reviews), but I was disappointed nevertheless.
I got stuck in year 3, I think. Have not played since. I think Grim Fandango is seriously overrated. The inventory controls are so bad, I cannot fathom why they thought they should keep them for the remastered version. They were probably too nervous to change anything, just to please the fan base. Even for its time, and I played other adventure games that are from the same period, I think this game is just not any good. I wonder why it is praised so much.

drealmer7: played Machinarium a bit with my partner and we enjoyed it okay but it was nothing great and we didn't get very far before ... I don't know, getting distracted by other things. I don't remember the controls being a problem and probably didn't get far enough to get annoyed by puzzles (they seemed pretty cake or took just a couple minutes of thought but weren't overly difficult. I think what I remember most about some of them was I knew what had to be done but didn't know how the game wanted me to execute it, which was a bit annoying. If we'd gotten further I'd probably have been more turned off and have less of an okay feeling than I do about it now having not gotten very far.) It did seem a bit juvenile and definitely not a must-play P&C (barely any story, which is what I think the best qualities of great P&Cs is.) Don't blame you for deleting it.
I think what many people overlook is that Machinarium is more of a puzzle game than a classic point-and-click adventure. You really have to like the idea that you will get stuck at certain places, because you are not able to figure out something. I found this very telling with the board game. There was a trick to win the game, but you really had to figure it out or just continue to play over and over and win by luck. The point-and-click part is usually not a problem, as the game world is fairly linear. What I liked the most about this game is the art style and how it manages to draw you into the world. I was never able to decide whether it was good or bad to live in that robot city. Some parts were depressing, others imaginative and inspiring. For every bad robot, there was at least a good robot as well. Good and evil balancing each other out. I found that beautiful.
Post edited February 16, 2016 by Eitot