It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

kalirion: Alice: Madness Returns

Loved it, though some parts could use a little work - the camera when locked on to an enemy is quite awful, checkpoints are sometimes too far apart, and PhysX on High kills the framerate in some scenes despite the rig being far more than the game should ever need. But the story, atmosphere, visual design - all are quite great, and the gameplay isn't bad either. Great ending too, here's hoping Wish I had the original game, but unfortunately I don't.
The PS3 version I have came with the original game as part of it...if you have PS3 i'd recommend getting that.
kalirion: Alice: Madness Returns

Loved it, though some parts could use a little work - the camera when locked on to an enemy is quite awful, checkpoints are sometimes too far apart, and PhysX on High kills the framerate in some scenes despite the rig being far more than the game should ever need. But the story, atmosphere, visual design - all are quite great, and the gameplay isn't bad either. Great ending too, here's hoping Wish I had the original game, but unfortunately I don't.
GameRager: The PS3 version I have came with the original game as part of it...if you have PS3 i'd recommend getting that.
Nope, no consoles here, I'm a pure PC Gamer. Had I downloaded the Origin version as soon as I activated the key that came with my Steam version, I would've had access to the original too. But they removed it out of the Standard Edition of AMR for some reason, despite also removing the Deluxe or whatever edition that still gives to the original from the Origin store...
GameRager: The PS3 version I have came with the original game as part of it...if you have PS3 i'd recommend getting that.
kalirion: Nope, no consoles here, I'm a pure PC Gamer. Had I downloaded the Origin version as soon as I activated the key that came with my Steam version, I would've had access to the original too. But they removed it out of the Standard Edition of AMR for some reason, despite also removing the Deluxe or whatever edition that still gives to the original from the Origin store...
Well that sucks.....also too bad you don't console game.....you are missing out on some interesting/good titles that are console exclusive(I also like being able to play on the couch with friends as well). Oh well, to each their own. :)

==============================

Games finished today: The games in link above are pretty decent little adventures, from a dev that is now selling games on GOG actually. He started small and made it big, which is cool.

Now on to Cases 6-8.

=============================
Post edited August 06, 2019 by GameRager
GameRager: Well that sucks.....also too bad you don't console game.....you are missing out on some interesting/good titles that are console exclusive
My PC gaming backlog is humongous as it is without adding console games to the mix. I only have 24 hours in a day and only a finite number of days to live in my life.

GameRager: I also like being able to play on the couch with friends as well
"Friends"? What are these things?
Starblade is a Namco rail shooter that has what were really slick 3D graphics in 1991. You're in a space ship and fighting bad guys in a scenario that, like so many others, is a bald-faced Star Wars rip-off. You can't control your ship but you move your crosshairs around the screen and shoot down as many enemies and missiles as you can.

It takes around 20-25 minutes to beat it, but it's fun and it looks great in a Last Starfighter sort of way. I don't have much liking for Playstation era 3D graphics, but I do quite like the earlier generation, from the early 80s through the 90s, where you had really flat polygons, especially when they were combined with smooth framerates like in this game. For me it just hits a sweet spot between being an accurate representation of a thing while still having a very video gamey feel. I think the PS1 got in trouble when it tried to increasingly do things like human beings in 3D, often while plastering them over muddy pre-rendered backgrounds, and it just looked like puke (I'd say "in retrospect" except it wasn't even attractive at the time).

Fun fact: This is part of Namco's UGSF future history, which somehow incorporates this game, the Ace Combat series, Galaxian and Galaga, and even Dig Dug, among others.
GameRager: Well that sucks.....also too bad you don't console game.....you are missing out on some interesting/good titles that are console exclusive
kalirion: My PC gaming backlog is humongous as it is without adding console games to the mix. I only have 24 hours in a day and only a finite number of days to live in my life.

GameRager: I also like being able to play on the couch with friends as well
kalirion: "Friends"? What are these things?
1. I have limited time as well....I just portion it out evenly between all gaming systems and try limiting my backlog.

(I know not all can do this....I am just speaking my own experience)

2. It's a hit US tv show....oh and people you hang out with I guess. :)
Clive Barker's Undying (2001) (Linux/Wine)
(thank you adamhm for Linux wrapper for the game!)

One of true gems available here. And one of fascinating games I remember from young years, but never actually had opportunity to play (except a short demo). Now I've invested 2$ and 17h and finally reached the final scenes. In my case no chance to finish the game without using cheat codes. Some boss fights are just insane.

What about the game?
* great horror atmosphere
* nice story - allowing but not enforcing player to go deeper into
* wonderful music
* creatively designed locations - still looking awesome!
* adamhm's script available for Linux users, giving close to native installer experience (link)

List of all games completed in 2019.
Post edited August 08, 2019 by ciemnogrodzianin
ciemnogrodzianin: Clive Barker's Undying (2001) (Linux/Wine)
(thank you adamhm for Linux wrapper for the game!)

One of true gems available here. And one of fascinating games I remember from young years, but never actually had opportunity to play (except a short demo). Now I've invested 2$ and 17h and finally reached the final scenes. In my case no chance to finish the game without using cheat codes. Some boss fights are just insane.

What about the game?
* great horror atmosphere
* nice story - allowing but not enforcing player to go deeper into
* wonderful music
* creatively designed locations - still looking awesome!
* adamhm's script available for Linux users, giving close to native installer experience (link)

List of all games completed in 2019.
Too bad they never made the sequel(the ending suggests one). :(
Why are there so few posts in this thread? Are we collectively playing fewer gamess? That's a sad thought. Play more games people.
muddysneakers: Why are there so few posts in this thread? Are we collectively playing fewer gamess? That's a sad thought. Play more games people.
Seems to fit the trend (well, 2018 was a bit of a blip)...
Aug 7 2015: 1515
Aug 7 2016: 1346
Aug 7 2017: 807
Aug 7 2018: 958
Aug 7 2019: 623
(This being the post number of the last post showing up on that day in my time zone, number of posts left may be less due to deletions.)

Probably fewer are active on the forum here (you don't want my rant about GOG's target audience and the "old guard" again, right?), but may well also be that people finish fewer games, with always more available and sales all the time.
muddysneakers: Why are there so few posts in this thread? Are we collectively playing fewer games? That's a sad thought. Play more games people.
Some users(or many) just don't use the forums and not everyone knows about this thread or feels like using it.....also many here buy and then hoard instead of playing most bought games.
muddysneakers: Why are there so few posts in this thread? Are we collectively playing fewer gamess? That's a sad thought. Play more games people.
Cavalary: Seems to fit the trend (well, 2018 was a bit of a blip)...
Aug 7 2015: 1515
Aug 7 2016: 1346
Aug 7 2017: 807
Aug 7 2018: 958
Aug 7 2019: 623
(This being the post number of the last post showing up on that day in my time zone, number of posts left may be less due to deletions.)

Probably fewer are active on the forum here (you don't want my rant about GOG's target audience and the "old guard" again, right?), but may well also be that people finish fewer games, with always more available and sales all the time.
I noticed that trend too.
Bioshock Remastered, Aug 7 (GOG)-This was a great game. I really enjoyed the story but compared to System Shock 2 I still felt there was something lacking. I think Soma told the System Shock under the sea story better. This reminded me a lot of the Fallout series. I think the very small amount of disappointment I have with the game was because I was expecting something closer to System Shock 2 or Dead Space but what I got was still great in its own way.

Full List
muddysneakers: I noticed that trend too.
Well, I for one seem to pretty much stick to my pace. Games finished by end of August each year (since I won't be finishing another this month, that's for sure), as far as I could tell (tracking dates since 2013, bar what I didn't consider as really "counting" in some years, and could dig up approximate dates back to 2010):
2010: 5
2011: no more than 1 (unknown date for that)
2012: 4
2013: 3 (actually 2 parts of one and another that shouldn't really count, so may be just 1)
2014: 6 or 7 (unknown date for one that shouldn't really count)
2015: 2
2016: 4 (counting base and expansion of one separately due to major differences)
2017: let's say 4 (counting a base game, expansion not finished, and counting a bunch of little browser games made during the major protests that were here that year as a single game)
2018: 4 (including a mobile game and the expansion mentioned as not finished in 2017)
2019: 3

2011 and 2014 stand out at either end, maybe 2015 and 2010 too if you want to be stricter about it, otherwise, 3-4 in 2012, 2013 and from 2016 onwards.
muddysneakers: Bioshock Remastered, Aug 7 (GOG)-This was a great game. I really enjoyed the story but compared to System Shock 2 I still felt there was something lacking. I think Soma told the System Shock under the sea story better. This reminded me a lot of the Fallout series. I think the very small amount of disappointment I have with the game was because I was expecting something closer to System Shock 2 or Dead Space but what I got was still great in its own way.

Full List
Comparing Bioshock to System Shock 2, one thing I found lacking in Bioshock is that, although it has a beautiful setting, many of the areas in Rapture are very large and spacious, allowing you to see what's coming at you, whereas the System Shock games are mostly claustrophobic, tight corridors with sharp turns you can't see around. It makes the SS games more tense to explore, IMO.