It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome is a fun game, with a ridiculous amount of content. Slowly, the game introduces new mechanics, and makes every level feel unique, with over 120 levels I still didn't get bored.
The game has a great soundtrack to go with the fast paced gameplay. It is pure joy to play this game!
For me, the last levels were the most fun I had, the most difficult, and yet the most enjoyable.

Complete list of games finished in 2016.
Post edited March 31, 2016 by sanfueg
sanfueg: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome is a fun game, with a ridiculous amount of content. Slowly, the game introduces new mechanics, and makes every level feel unique, with over 120 levels I still didn't get bored.
The game has a great soundtrack to go with the fast paced gameplay. It is pure joy to play this game!
For me, the last levels were the most fun I had, the most difficult, and yet the most enjoyable.

Did you count those A-letters?
sanfueg: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome

Antimateria: Did you count those A-letters?
Did you?
Yes, that was the reason for the edit, I missed one "a".
omega64: Did you?
I did not my good pleasant yellow fish thing.
GR00T: It's not forced, but it checked by default, so you have to uncheck it. I installed it anyway and am looking through a couple threads of advice for newbies on character building. (So far they seem to be good about avoiding spoilers). Thanks for the heads up though. :)
Klumpen0815: They made it optional again?
The checkbox was removed at some point and when I asked them about it, they sent me an older version which still had it although it was English and therefore worthless to me (since it's a German game and the translation doesn't even seem to be good).
Did you install the current version?
Ah, apologies. I didn't realize they changed it. No, I didn't install the latest build, I guess. I DL the game installers as soon as I buy them and this build is from 2009.
muntdefems: <span class="bold">Framed</span> (Android)

Recently acquired in the still ongoing Humble Mobile Bundle 17 and completed right after installing it. Yeah, this is a very short game, but a brilliant one. It's quite literally a narrative puzzle game, in the sense that the story only advances every time you solve one of this game's 20-something puzzles. It's presented as a comic book, and you must re-arrange and alter the panels in order to help the main characters escape from the police (they are crooks, or spies, it really isn't made perfectly clear in the game).

Its novel mechanics are reason enough to play this game, but unfortunately it feels way too short. Worse still, there's a particular moment towards the end in which it seems like the story already ended and you are playing the game again from the beginning, so the inattentive player might risk leaving the game unfinished if it falls for this involuntary? trap laid out by the devs.
Basically this, i also finished this game yesterday and i share the same thoughts and yes, i was tricked in that ending, i went to youtube and realized that it's repeating some levels but with some modifications. Dunno, the game mechanics is really great and in a sense gave me some ghost trick vibes, it would be interesting to see what they can do but less convoluted, i know that the main focus is the gameplay but i felt lost with what was going on, some spies running with a briefcase and that's it.

So yeah, Framed.
Somehow I missed this year's thread, so here's what all I've completed so far...

The Howler - This was a tough little game that had a crazy difficulty spike about halfway through, at least for me it did. There were like two levels halfway through that I struggled with and in fact I stopped playing at one point. But I came back, finished those tough levels, and rolled through the rest of the game.
Turok: Remastered - Ah, Turok! The original game was one of the main reasons I bought an N64 back in the day. I never actually finished it since I got into Goldeneye, Banjo-Kazooie, and various wrestling games more. I have a copy of the PC version on disc and surprisingly, it works fine on Windows 7. I tried playing it a year or so ago and the FOV was really disorienting. Luckily, that has been fixed up, along with many other things and this is the definitive version to play, in my opinion! I loved this game and very glad I was able to knock it off my list.
Kung Fu - Not much to say here, I've played this game so many times.
Mushihemesama - Very cool shoot 'em up that I need to go back and play some more!
Shaq Fu - I played this with some friends and yeah, it's pretty bad. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, but it wasn't good. The controls are just bad.
Bad Dudes - I picked up the Data East collection on the Wii and played through this for the first time. It's a good thing I had unlimited continues.
Magical Drop III - These games are pretty cool and this one was kinda tough.
Heavy Barrel - Eh, I didn't like this one at all. This is another Data East game I played on the Wii, so maybe the Classic Controller just wasn't a good fit for it.
The Ultimate Doom - I've beaten this one quite a few times and it's always a blast. I'm currently working on Doom II, which I have NOT finished before.
Disruptor - A promising, but ultimately disappointing early FPS on the PS1. It was a neat game to play since it's essentially the precursor to Insomniac's Ratchet and Clank series and does indeed share some elements with that great series. But the erratic difficulty and limited controls on the PS1 controller hold it back.
Giga Wing - What can I say, it's a fantastic shoot 'em up!
Beyond Good and Evil HD - This was my first time playing the HD version, but it's exactly the same game. I've beaten this game several times and still really enjoy it. Bring on the sequel!
DmC: Devil May Cry - I tried this one on PC before, but found the controls to be a little overwhelming. I picked up the Definitive Edition on PS4 and absolutely loved it! I'm amazed at how many people did not like this game.
Astal - This is an amazingly beautiful game on the Saturn. It's been on my list for a LONG time and it was nice to finally play through it. It's a tough one too.
Donkey Kong - Always good to play this one :D
Plantera - A pretty standard clicker game that was quite addictive. It didn't take long to see everything and get all of the achievements, but I was hooked.
Donkey Kong Jr. - Always good to play this one :D
Shovel Knight - A tough, but fair old school game. No way I beat this one without checkpoints.
Saviors - I played this one at random and it was alright.
Samorost 2 - A short adventure-ish game that was really neat. I had been wanting to play it for a while.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1989 Arcade) - I used to play this on the NES all the time and it's been MANY years since I last played it.
Intergalactic Bubbles - This is a Puzzle Bobble clone type game that's not particularly great, but I managed to spend 14 hours completing all levels and getting all achievements. So it did something right :P
Brave Fencer Musashi - I finally finished this one! I really liked it, but the last level / world kinda sucked since you lose some of your abilities.
Golden Axe: The Duel - Another beautiful 2D Saturn game here.
Super Mario World - It had been a long time since I last played through this one, but it's one of my favorite Super Mario games.
The Guardian Legend - Just my yearly playthrough :)
Super Metroid - Prior to this one, I had only actually finished two Metroid games: Metroid II and Metroid Prime. I had heard this was one of the best ones and I tend to agree. It's a very good game, though I must admit I've been spoiled by modern games and their generous save systems and map interfaces.
Mega Man 3 - Ugh, this one was really tough. I thought Mega Man 2 was a lot more fair than the first one, but this one seemed to ramp up the difficulty again. Lots of cheap sections in the game, but it was still enjoyable. I'm playing these on Steam, so I'm abusing save states haha.
RayStorm - I picked up Taito Legends 2 on PS2 and decided to give this one a whirl. I have the PS1 version, but it's a tough game and without unlimited continues, there's no way I'm completing it. It's an okay game, but I prefer the prequel.

In all, I've completed 29 games so far this year, but many of them were super short. The shortest game was Donkey Kong on NES at 3 minutes (enough to beat the three levels). The longest was only 16 hours and that was for Brave Fencer Musashi.

Here's my full list with some more info, including completion times.
Heavy Rain

So I finish Bioshock, get out the Heavy Rain disc and put it in the playstation, says there's an update for it, I click accept and it turns out to be about 1000Mb big and takes 2 hours to complete, though I complete VVVVVV during those hours. The game is a murder mystery involving a Serial Killer who drowns children and leaves Origami on their corpses shown from the perspective of 4 people: A PTSD sufferer who shouts a lot, An Asthmatic private eye, A drug addicted FBI agent and a Chronic Insomniac journalist. What could go wrong? They've definitely improved since Fahrenheit, The QTE event controls are less awkward and they got rid of 'lives'. There's different endings, in mine Norman the FBI agent managed to save the day. However the problem with the ending I got is it didn't explain the 5th Trial and it's outcome (Trying to avoid spoilers). Good game, not sure if I should get the DLC however.
moho_00:
... whoa. Even taking the few really short ones into account, I don't think I completed in the last 6 years as many games as you did in 3 months. Not entirely sure anymore, don't recall everything before 2013, but taking my usual 4-5 makes it a good year rule and knowing that I was below that some years it's quite clear...
Finished Broken Sword 4 and I don't recommend it: lame puzzles, lame animations, lame story... And there are technical issues (missing ending words in audio lines) and technical limitations (no way to skip dialogs or animations... which is very annoying).

Full list here.
I played the first one last weekend, so I figured I might as well wrap up the second while I'm here.

Apart from general bad temper, I'm not sure I get the vocal-minority hatred on Steam for Mirror Mysteries 2: Forgotten Kingdoms. It's true that it commits the scarlet sin of not being exactly the same as the first game in the series, although it's actually pretty close. It's a short, easy, slightly silly excursion into a few realms in the lands the malevolent Magic Mirror, which once again has no sense of humor and intends to take over the world and destroy everyone muahaha. If that sounds a little like the original, well, yeah.

The first had an easier forward-pressing pace, which this one trades for vaguer goals set in more fantastical worlds. The core mechanic of assembling sets of hidden-object items to move from one location to the next is pretty much the same, as is the enraged mirror that taunts you through the settings. This time, instead of playing Tommy and Charlotte's hero mom, you're a detective sent by adult Charlotte to track her grown-up brother Tommy, who has disappeared after chasing down an unusual mirror, because he has dim memories of another mirror when he was a child, and so forth, la la la.

Artwork here is more ambitious - I especially liked the future city in the clouds, which is a little bit steampunk, a little bit Rapture, and a little bit Syberia. Gameplay doesn't throw any unexpected curves, and once again I ran the game in two and a half hours, so mere mortals should get through it in around two. As you put together the pieces to resolve each environment you'll collect mirror shards along the way to get the next portal working, and these are pretty clearly indicated.

No achievements, and hint/skip buttons if you get impatient along the way. Voicing is minimal and not quite as good as the first, but the art is much more interesting, though sometimes the goals aren't as clear as they could be. This time, playing as a detective and not a mother, there isn't any call to tidy up, sew, or do any of the household tasks that plagued the original: here it's all putting machines under power, making the train run, restoring water and flowers to the peaceful glade. Hmph.

Previously, in 2016
Post edited April 01, 2016 by LinustheBold
Long story short, Bravely Default has me depressed (definitely getting into love-hate here) and over the last break my brothers and I got a few games from Gamestop sales (Final Fantasy XII-2, Dark Souls 2, Hitman Absolution [the collector's edition, for five bucks], and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Additionally, EDF 2 on Vita was 15 dollars, so I got that too. And Estival Versus, no sale, full Vita price)

Anyway, my brother and I tag teamed Reckoning and the game was excellent, a few annoyances aside it's my favorite RPG on my 360 at the moment for many reasons. First, the annoyances. The game has a pathetically small inventory considering there's more loot than a Diablo clone normally has. Now, it also has a confusing inventory system that never quite makes sense but is similar to an Elder Scrolls game like Oblivion, but more sensible still. So, you destroy equipment very often because you need the room for potions or lockpicks (this game has one of the only mildly enjoyable lockick minigames out there), but herbs should be safe from this game as well as other raw materials. Second, there are some technical hiccups. I did play this on my 360, which is not connected to the internet, so patches probably would have fixed this but I cannot say. Last bad thing, the audio director could have been more consistent with pronunciation and some words that looked really Welsh were not pronounced the way they should. That's understandable, but but when you know how Gwalchmai sounds it's weird when it's not. That's more of a personal issue. Humorously on that we were debating on a Welsh mythological name and an Irish one and since it was St. Patrick's Day we went with Medb. Although at the time we didn't know the bad guys were called Tuatha, just kinda humorous.

I'll try and keep the good short. The graphics are absolutely fantastic, aside from a couple of blander environments the game really does have character, color, and even technical merit all over the place and it is a joy to look at. Character designs are really good, for the most part. Some are meh, but mostly it's really good stuff. Next, the game plays very, very well and is just plain fun. The combat is not too complex and not too simple, while it leans more to he simple, it is deep enough to invite variety of approach and provides meaningful feedback so that your blows look like they hurt and you get a sense of power too. Another good thing would be the freaking elves. They're not annoying, unlike most thee times that games feature them. (Although, the Fae are more like the typical elf portrayal rather than the Alfar, who are better than most elves in every way)

On the story, I thought it was pretty good, actually. Not talking Witcher 2 or anything but I was more invested than I was in other games from the period. Side quests also had decent plots to them for the most part. Character development was also nice and free, very open to hybrid classes.

I'll stop myself here, it was an excellent game that I enjoyed thoroughly.
AnimalMother117: Anyway, my brother and I tag teamed Reckoning...
I really liked it as well, and spent more than 100 hours on it. Did yours include the DLC as well? I thought they did a great job on them. Shame there's never going to be a sequel.
AnimalMother117: I'll stop myself here, it was an excellent game that I enjoyed thoroughly.
I played it last year and loved it. I had no tech issues at all in over 100 hours of play, but my 360 version was the digital download and so would have been automatically patched. But with games that big and open two people can always have different experiences.
Only thing I didn't like was that I hit the level cap quite early since I did absolutely every little side quest. So the final 8 hours or so were not as fun. But lets be honest, that's 8 hours out of over 100...so no big deal. But that's why I've never bothered with the DLC, they don't raise the level cap in the DLC and I don't want to play them without the level up lure- that would only be half the fun.
magejake50: Heavy Rain

Good game, not sure if I should get the DLC however.
The DLC came with the Special Edition version I played. It's about 45 minutes long if you really take your time fully exploring and is a totally stand alone chapter for Maddie and really has very little to do with the Origami case. So don't feel like you miss anything important if you don't get it. But I still enjoyed it, so it depends on how much you need to pay for it I suppose...
Post edited April 01, 2016 by CMOT70