It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

McDon: Have you played AoE 2:HD yet?
tinyE: No. I've heard mixed things about it, mostly that it's not really bad but not really that big of a deal especially for people who love the original.
It's mainly for multiplayer, it's really orientated around competitive play now. It has a new expansion out this year or next, actually.
Matruchus: Nobody likes that abomination. Poor Kane.
One more reason to dislike EA.

tinyE: XD Never played #4. The DRM got out of hand around RA 3 and I backed off. I have played C&C 3 which was fun save for some asshead's idea to add an alien invasion to it.
Than why even?:)
Old CnC are the best, sad they dropped idea to use Red Alert as prequel to CnC.
CnC3, while not bad game, lost something, that spark probably. Plus while patching game, EA forgot how to single, I still remember one of Nod missions, where you start with crane only and can't build turrets with it, because this ability was removed. :D

F4LL0UT: Lol, I also wanted to reply "even?". To me the first two games in the series are better than most of the others.
Ditto. That mission in Nod campaign to take Orca is probably one of most teeth-grinding for me even after all these years. :) Oh, the memories.

tinyE: Oh wait, that's RA 1 not C&C.
I still have a t-shirt from commemorative (or whatever) edition of Red Alert 1. Worn and torn (okay, just worn), but still intact. And modern t-shirts rarely serve more than a year. Probably infused with iron curtain. :D
Post edited April 12, 2015 by RudyLis
* stealth games, like Splinter Cell...don't have the patience for it anymore
* fighting games, like Tekken...never been interested
* always online games, like Destiny and WoW
...feels like I'm just wasting my money
...don't like playing games with other people
* modern horror games, like Outlast...not enough gameplay, too much focus on jump-scares
* kids games, like Mario Kart...never been interested
* JRPGs that look like manga, like Final Fantasy...never been interested
* RPGs in general, like Dragons age...its the same Fantasy game over and over

I can't play something I'm not interested in and don't have the patience for.

I think 'always online/modern horror/'kids games' should be in their own genres or at least sub-genres.

Post-edit note: forgot the OP asked for genres, did some adjusting
Post edited April 12, 2015 by R8V9F5A2
R8V9F5A2: * multiplayer games, like WoW...don't like playing games with other people
* always online games, like Destiny...feels like I'm just wasting my money
* games with too little narration, like Dark Souls...narration gives me purpose in a game
* modern horror games, like Outlast...not enough gameplay, too much focus on jump-scares
* obvious kids games, like Mario Kart...never been interested
* generic fantasy RPGs, like Dragons age...its the same Fantasy game over and over
* games developed by Bethesda, like Skyrim...they are too slow, I get bored too quickly
Is there actually anything you enjoy?
Matewis: Have to say, It sounds to me more like an intrinsic dislike of the genre as opposed to what the genre has become.
Zerg spam fest? Are you referring to multiplayer balance? I've only played Wings of Liberty (don't want to play HotS until after I fix my fried desktop PC) and I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign which I thought (for everything except the story and characters) was top-notch. My only real criticism is the Battlenet requirement, and to a slightly lesser extent the uninteresting story and characters (except Nova and Raynor). I know some people are really upset about what direction SC2 took the multiplayer in, but having never been big on SC multiplayer I can't make much sense of it.
Since you saw the list of games I like you should really know that I love rts games. What I dislike is the need to click like insane all the time. This is what is killing the game for me and a lot of others. Zerg spam comes from the fact that you can win more or less every game in SC2 by spamming lowest tier units en mass and winning without any strategy. Eitherway I played Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm and the story is getting worse with time. In Wings of Liberty Kerrigan is saved by Raynor and made human again. In Heart of the Swarm she becomes the Zerg queen again (even more powerful then before) and is supposedly destined to save Zerg, Humans and Protoss from the Xel'Naga that were exterminated by Zerg in the prequel story to SC1. Basically the single player now has balancing from multiplayer so the game is getting less interesting cause multiplayer play and singleplayer play is something totally different. In the Legacy of the Void there are new so called hero units implemented that can kill your carefully built army in a couple of seconds. Eitherway its alway a personnel thing what somebody likes and SC2 is only a small part of rts genre although the only recognizable one as of lately.
Post edited April 12, 2015 by Matruchus
R8V9F5A2: * multiplayer games, like WoW...don't like playing games with other people
* always online games, like Destiny...feels like I'm just wasting my money
* games with too little narration, like Dark Souls...narration gives me purpose in a game
* obvious kids games, like Mario Kart...never been interested
* generic fantasy RPGs, like Dragons age...its the same Fantasy game over and over
* games developed by Bethesda, like Skyrim...they are too slow, I get bored too quickly
Klumpen0815: Is there actually anything you enjoy?
i was going to ask that too
i know i am picky but damn is there any kind of game he does enjoy at all ?

and just because mario kart looks childish ( and make no mistake the later mario karts from the cube and one do look like wonderland on a sugar rush ) that doesnt mean they are just for children
the AI is diabolical on higher difficult levels
MMORPGs, Online-Multiplayer-Shooters or competitive online RTS games.

I enjoy when I can play games in single player mode and immerse myself in them. But as soon as things go online they fall apart when it comes to atmosphere.
Either it's someone hacking the game and screwing everyone else or people are disregarding the story aspect of the game and just play to exploit the game's mechanics or min-max their characters to powerplay through the game.
I also can't stand anything that has that one perfect "build" like the chars in Diablo 2 and every other build just hasn't got a chance in direct comparison (though I played Diablo 2 in singleplayer a LOT). The same goes for rigid and unforgiving build-orders in RTS games. I just don't see the fun in it to go through the game measuring the seconds and going through a list that states you have to have these units and these buildings at 4 minutes and 36 seconds in.

All of the above can be made worse if people are allowed to converse with one another through headsets. Few things can ruin your game-play experience as much as hearing the valiant paladin munch on doughnuts noisily.
snowkatt: i was going to ask that too
It's rare to see someone hate on popular RPGs and Nintendo classics here, but the list still leaves plenty of other genres that the poster might enjoy in theory: adventure games (point and click, text, or action), (story-oriented) shooters (TPS and FPS), (puzzle) platformers, so-called "walking simulators", RTS, turn-based strategy or sims with rich story elements, even exceptional RPGs outside the fantasy genre or JRPGs that don't look like manga etc.
Yep, there are:
* racing, like Stock Car 2012, SBK and Colin McRae
* sports, like NHL, PES and Rugby Challenge
* strategy, like Command & Conquer, Men of War and Total War
* fps, like Medal of Honor, Operation Flashpoint and Call of Juarez
* action, like Earth Defence Force, Dead Space and Darksiders
* adventure, like Syberia, Journeyman and Tex Murphy
* managerial, like Capitalism, Patrician and Startopia
* city-builders, like Stronghold, SimCity and Caesar
* certain rpgs, like Risen, Grimrock and Star Wolves
* simulation, like Euro Truck Simulator 2, Ship Simulator Extremes and Flight Simulator X
* indie, like Anti-chamber, FTL and This War of Mine
* old-school style horror, like Silent Hill 3, Alan Wake and Evil Within
* weird and unusual stuff, like Deadly Premonition, Killer is Dead and Pathologic

and just because mario kart looks childish ( and make no mistake the later mario karts from the cube and one do look like wonderland on a sugar rush ) that doesnt mean they are just for children
the AI is diabolical on higher difficult levels
Yes, poor expression on my part perhaps. However I do see games like Mario Kart as aimed at younger gamers, mainly because they look overly cartoonish to me.

This does not mean I see all Nintendo games, and similar stuff, as kids games.
To me there's a big difference between games like Super Mario and Zelda, and games like Castlevania and Metroid. It might be just a visual difference, but its a difference nonetheless to me.
Post edited April 12, 2015 by R8V9F5A2
Leroux: It's rare to see someone hate on popular RPGs and Nintendo classics here, but the list still leaves plenty of other genres that the poster might enjoy in theory: adventure games (point and click, text, or action), (story-oriented) shooters (TPS and FPS), (puzzle) platformers, so-called "walking simulators", RTS, turn-based strategy or sims with rich story elements, even exceptional RPGs outside the fantasy genre or JRPGs that don't look like manga etc.
As far as JRPGs are concerned, Lost Odyssey is one of my favourite games.
I also liked Resonance of Fate , partly because the combat system was very unique for a JRPG.
These are so far the only JRPGs I've been interested in, but I'm not up to date with this genre at all.

My problem with popular triple-a Fantasy RPGs is that they are not different enough, they don't innovate.
There are devs out there that try to do something different and expand what an RPG game can actually be.
Not only in terms of the gameplay but also in terms of the storyline.
Fantasy game storylines are too often variations of the exact same theme.
Yet when you look at Fantasy literature there's a wide range of fun, unique and interesting concepts.
As far as Fantasy RPGs are concerned, my hope lies with Indie developers, they are the only ones who can innovate in the RPG genre, who are willing to take risks.
For me it's:

Real time strategy.
Tactical RPG's.
Building and management sims.
Simulation model racing and flying games.
Matruchus: Since you saw the list of games I like you should really know that I love rts games. What I dislike is the need to click like insane all the time. This is what is killing the game for me and a lot of others. Zerg spam comes from the fact that you can win more or less every game in SC2 by spamming lowest tier units en mass and winning without any strategy. Eitherway I played Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm and the story is getting worse with time. In Wings of Liberty Kerrigan is saved by Raynor and made human again. In Heart of the Swarm she becomes the Zerg queen again (even more powerful then before) and is supposedly destined to save Zerg, Humans and Protoss from the Xel'Naga that were exterminated by Zerg in the prequel story to SC1. Basically the single player now has balancing from multiplayer so the game is getting less interesting cause multiplayer play and singleplayer play is something totally different. In the Legacy of the Void there are new so called hero units implemented that can kill your carefully built army in a couple of seconds. Eitherway its alway a personnel thing what somebody likes and SC2 is only a small part of rts genre although the only recognizable one as of lately.
That's one of the things I liked about DoW multiplayer which I used to play online a lot : it's not so heavy on the micromanagement as SC, and it is not simplistic because of it (on the contrary). The only reason I stopped playing was because of Soulstorm ruining the feel of the game for me. Also, as a SM player, I didn't quite like having tatical space marines potential anti-vehicle ability nerfed by close to 50% :P
As for SC's story and characters being lackluster, it really starts to concern when I think that we might see WC4 one day, and one of the things that I really liked about WC3 was the story and characters. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Perhaps I'll do another playthrough of WC3 on hard, or wait for the remake of WC3 using SC2's engine.
For me, it's fighting games and platformers. Both are childish, arcade games that I didn't enjoy at the quarter arcades back in the day and damn sure don't enjoy on a PC today.
R8V9F5A2: Yes, poor expression on my part perhaps. However I do see games like Mario Kart as aimed at younger gamers, mainly because they look overly cartoonish to me.

To me there's a big difference between games like Super Mario and Zelda, and games like Castlevania and Metroid. It might be just a visual difference, but its a difference nonetheless to me.
castlevania is konami though not nintendo

metroid is all nintendo though and zelda especially ocarina of time majora's mask and twillight princess get very dark very fast and not just in terms of graphics but also in terms of subject matter and atmosphere

the mario gamers are cartoony to the core though
the AI in mario kart rubber bands like crazy though

and the AI in mario party is a cheating godmodding bastard

though these days nintendo likes to cash in on their family friendly image instead of pushing the envelope like they once did
R8V9F5A2: Yes, poor expression on my part perhaps. However I do see games like Mario Kart as aimed at younger gamers, mainly because they look overly cartoonish to me.

snowkatt: and the AI in mario party is a cheating godmodding bastard
mario party is just broken, they give stars for doing nothing, C´MON NINTENDO !!

i believe that if a game uses cartoon style graphics doesn´t define the aim of the game. you could say that TF2 has a cartoon style but the mechanics and the level of expertise people can achieve is not for the younger crowd to enjoy.