It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Breja: I've no idea how hard something like that would be to implement, but maybe the rep and paygate issues could be combined to get the baest of both worlds. Instead of a paygate blocking from posting, have a paygate blocking from up and down voting posts. I think the number of trolls willing to pay 5.99$ for multiple accounts won't be large, and a single account won't do much damage. This way legit users won't be hurt, but rep abuse and multiple accounts problems might at least be limited.
That would also be a acceptable solution... for the trolls anyway. Good idea.
Post edited August 03, 2015 by BKGaming
Breja: I've no idea how hard something like that would be to implement, but maybe the rep and paygate issues could be combined to get the baest of both worlds. Instead of a paygate blocking from posting, have a paygate blocking from up and down voting posts. I think the number of trolls willing to pay 5.99$ for multiple accounts won't be large, and a single account won't do much damage. This way legit users won't be hurt, but rep abuse and multiple accounts problems might at least be limited.
This is exactly what I was thinking when the paygate was brought up again as a potential solution. Paygating features like down voting and maybe even posting links would possibly help in reducing the misuse and effectiveness of numerous alt accounts.

But again this would entail some actual work from the web dev team and we all know how shy they are about touching any of the code related to the forum. Thus the idea would again be cast aside while being reassured that the feedback has been received.
Post edited August 03, 2015 by stg83

Fixing the chat is a must, but that's just fixing what got broken for no good reason.
Good idea! +1
Ciris: I'm passing on your guys' feedback and ideas to our web team
My suggestions:
- improve the account creation with email confirmation. Don't accept temp or fake adresses!
- you MUST find a way to identify and block alt accounts.
- maybe paygate is not needed: just disable the Rep button for low rep accounts.
- don't delete posts with the "report" button. They're needed for proof.

So, basically, don't remove the rep system, but stop its abuse (no mass downrepping, uprepping, etc..)

Ciris: it's not possible for us bluetext GOG employees (or even the GOG account) to change the url of a thread. As far as I know, it's not possible at all, therefore all I could change was the thread title.
I don't care about the title at all, but.. can't you simply contact the tech team in these cases? O_o
Post edited August 03, 2015 by phaolo

Fixing the chat is a must, but that's just fixing what got broken for no good reason.
Aye, this would be a good solution. You have my axe. (Or flute....)

THAT IS....!!!

A very good idea, actually!
high rated
Ciris: Alright, I'm back post-weekend and just wanted to let you know that I'm passing on your guys' feedback and ideas to our web team, who are the ones working on the various forum issues.

RE: Thread url not changed -- it's not possible for us bluetext GOG employees (or even the GOG account) to change the url of a thread. As far as I know, it's not possible at all, therefore all I could change was the thread title.

RE: The rep system -- As far as I know, this is a big topic that's been talked about for a while now, but as it'd be a pretty damn huge project to design a rep or rep-like system, test and implement it, it might not be the highest up on the list of stuff our web team is doing.

RE: Paygating -- as far as I know, this was something we wanted to stay away from so as not to discourage people that'd sign up to post asking if a game is still any good, or to look for recommendations. As someone said in the thread earlier, a paygate makes things complicated, kind of like signing up for sites that require a ton of data or a certain action - and it might still not stop scammers, since maybe $5 is how much the chance to troll people online is worth to some. However, I've passed the topic on to be discussed by those that have a better understanding of how such a system would impact you guys and future GOGers.

RE: Chat issues -- I agree that blocking users and deleting messages are two very important functionalities. I've made sure the web team's aware of it, and I hope to have more to say later this week.

I'll try to get someone from the web team in here so they can pass on what's the status of improvements or changes being made - it'll be much easier to communicate what's going on that way.
Three days ago you said:
[...] Since then, we've been looking at various options of how to solve the problem [...] We're working on a solution to the harrassment issue. More news next week.
Today you come back and all I see in your post is basically rejecting every single suggestion made by users, for one reason or another.

Where are GOG's suggestions on how to handle things?

Nth discussed on the forum, including the "NEWS: A new My Account", "My Account - big changes on the horizon", "We are listening to your feedback!" and "Let's discuss your experiences with the forum.", not to mention the security issues raised in the numerous hacked accounts threads, ever seems to be GOG's webdevs priority, not even fixing things they themselves break when revamping portions of the site; I really have to wonder what their TO DO list consists of, and how priorities are set.

Perhaps what Breja suggested in another thread, would prove (more) effective in getting GOG do more than merely listen to our feedback.
Ciris: RE: The rep system -- As far as I know, this is a big topic that's been talked about for a while now, but as it'd be a pretty damn huge project to design a rep or rep-like system, test and implement it, it might not be the highest up on the list of stuff our web team is doing.
So basically the GOG web team doesn't care about the rep system, and you didn't even mention the possibility of eliminating it entirely in favor of something less prone to flagrant abuse like post counts.

HypersomniacLive: Today you come back and all I see in your post is basically rejecting every single suggestion made by users, for one reason or another.

Nth discussed on the forum, including the "NEWS: A new My Account", "My Account - big changes on the horizon", "We are listening to your feedback!" and "Let's discuss your experiences with the forum.",
Business as usual. GOG continues to pat themselves on the back for a job well done, while they throw their forum users under the bus.

HypersomniacLive: I really have to wonder what their TO DO list consists of, and how priorities are set.
One word: Galaxy.
Post edited August 03, 2015 by rampancy
Ciris: Alright, I'm back post-weekend and just wanted to let you know that I'm passing on your guys' feedback and ideas to our web team, who are the ones working on the various forum issues.

RE: Thread url not changed -- it's not possible for us bluetext GOG employees (or even the GOG account) to change the url of a thread. As far as I know, it's not possible at all, therefore all I could change was the thread title.

RE: The rep system -- As far as I know, this is a big topic that's been talked about for a while now, but as it'd be a pretty damn huge project to design a rep or rep-like system, test and implement it, it might not be the highest up on the list of stuff our web team is doing.

RE: Paygating -- as far as I know, this was something we wanted to stay away from so as not to discourage people that'd sign up to post asking if a game is still any good, or to look for recommendations. As someone said in the thread earlier, a paygate makes things complicated, kind of like signing up for sites that require a ton of data or a certain action - and it might still not stop scammers, since maybe $5 is how much the chance to troll people online is worth to some. However, I've passed the topic on to be discussed by those that have a better understanding of how such a system would impact you guys and future GOGers.

RE: Chat issues -- I agree that blocking users and deleting messages are two very important functionalities. I've made sure the web team's aware of it, and I hope to have more to say later this week.

I'll try to get someone from the web team in here so they can pass on what's the status of improvements or changes being made - it'll be much easier to communicate what's going on that way.
HypersomniacLive: Three days ago you said:

[...] Since then, we've been looking at various options of how to solve the problem [...] We're working on a solution to the harrassment issue. More news next week.
HypersomniacLive: Today you come back and all I see in your post is basically rejecting every single suggestion made by users, for one reason or another.

Nth discussed on the forum, including the "NEWS: A new My Account", "My Account - big changes on the horizon", "We are listening to your feedback!" and "Let's discuss your experiences with the forum.", not to mention the security issues raised in the numerous hacked accounts threads, ever seems to be GOG's webdevs priority, not even fixing things they themselves break when revamping portions of the site; I really have to wonder what their TO DO list consists of, and how priorities are set.

Perhaps what Breja suggested in another thread, would prove (more) effective in getting GOG do more than merely listen to our feedback.
I'm not seeing how what I said is rejecting the suggestions given. Regarding changing the URL I said, as is true, that at the moment it's not possible for me to edit it. Regarding the other three points, I said that I passed the information on to the correct people (even if I did warn of two of them not being the first to-do on the list), and regarding one said that I hope to have more news on it later this week - like I promised on Friday.

Unfortunately I'm not able to tell you much of how the web team works or prioritizes stuff, as it's completely not within my "realm" of responsibilities to dig into how they do things, but I did ask them to make forum changes a higher priority. When they have solutions, as I said before, I'll get a representative from their team to get involved in this thread and the other one I edited in order to explain changes made (and future plans, if they'll be able to discuss them).
Ciris: RE: The rep system -- As far as I know, this is a big topic that's been talked about for a while now, but as it'd be a pretty damn huge project to design a rep or rep-like system, test and implement it, it might not be the highest up on the list of stuff our web team is doing.
rampancy: So basically the GOG web team doesn't care about the rep system, and you didn't even mention the possibility of eliminating it entirely in favor of something less prone to flagrant abuse like post counts.
I don't have access to our web team's to-do list and last I heard the rep system wasn't planned to be changed. However, as I also said, it's been talked about for a while now in terms of how it can be amended, and I wasn't part of those talks, so it is very likely that they considered obliterating it or changing it to a different system as well.
Post edited August 03, 2015 by Ciris
high rated
I'm sick of this sweet talk and always asking us to wait. There is nothing to wait for. Nothing has changed in these forums in the past two (or more) years that was an improvement. You might as well say you don't have a web team because that would be hell of a lot more believable.
Wurzelkraft: I'm sick of this sweet talk and always asking us to wait. There is nothing to wait for. Nothing has changed in these forums in the past two (or more) years that was an improvement. You might as well say you don't have a web team because that would be hell of a lot more believable.
Quite unfortunately true, Captain Cookie.

=(
Wurzelkraft: I'm sick of this sweet talk and always asking us to wait. There is nothing to wait for. Nothing has changed in these forums in the past two (or more) years that was an improvement. You might as well say you don't have a web team because that would be hell of a lot more believable.
This.

I'm considering making a general store-boycott call thread and calling for warning pepole away from GOG on other forums and social media, to force GOG to take some real action. With this developement- the death of a great giveaway, mass downvoting and a generous users suspending his further activity on GOG following an attempt of identity theft, any more unspecific PR sweet talk is just insulting.
Post edited August 03, 2015 by Breja
Breja: This.

I'm considering making a general store-boycott call thread and calling for warning pepole away from GOG on other forums and social media, to force GOG to take some real action. With this developement- the death of a great giveaway, mass downvoting and a generous users suspending his further activity on GOG following an attempt of identity theft, any more unspecific PR sweet talk is just insulting.
I really urge you to contribute Momo1991's thread here: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/mahayo_redux_gog_fix_your_forum/page1

Things were already depressing here enough without the GOG staff being even more dismissive about our problems with the forum.
Breja: This.

Well. I understand where you're coming from. The forums are full of people acting pretty awfully these days.

However, that seems par for the course for gaming forums.

I definitely think that there are many ways to counter hostility and low-quality communication, by shaping the communication tools, medium, and feeback systems, as well as by providing focus and having a mechanism for unproductive conversations to end. Your approach, though seems to be based on the idea that the quality of discourse here is now worse than elsewhere, and my general view is that it is bad everywhere.

If you wish to push for GOG to take community management / forum improvement more seriously, then sure, go ahead, but if you want to tell other people "stay away from GOG, it's gross there", then I wonder where this garden is that people hang out that is not gross already.

I'd be happy to be educated otherwise.
jsjrodman: Well. I understand where you're coming from. The forums are full of people acting pretty awfully these days.

However, that seems par for the course for gaming forums.

I definitely think that there are many ways to counter hostility and low-quality communication, by shaping the communication tools, medium, and feeback systems, as well as by providing focus and having a mechanism for unproductive conversations to end. Your approach, though seems to be based on the idea that the quality of discourse here is now worse than elsewhere, and my general view is that it is bad everywhere.

If you wish to push for GOG to take community management / forum improvement more seriously, then sure, go ahead, but if you want to tell other people "stay away from GOG, it's gross there", then I wonder where this garden is that people hang out that is not gross already.
I was very angry when I wrote that (just after PHC closed his giveaway). Which is also why I said I only considered that, and didn't really do it, I didn't want to act on bad impulse.

But the fact is, some issues we have been raising for months now, to no effect. Meanwhile, the problems multiply, and we get nothing except for PR talk and vague promises. We can't even get chat fixed! That's basic functions we used to have, and have beend demanding since the crappy change happened.

What I described is radicall, and I would hate to do it. But trying to get things done in any normal way just does not seem to be an option.
Post edited August 03, 2015 by Breja