It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

zeogold: That's your own privacy settings, my dude. GOG changed it some while back so that it's rolled onto "friends only" unless you fix it.
well fancy that! My privacy settings prevent me from contacting people! Thanks for the life hack ;)
zeogold: That's your own privacy settings, my dude. GOG changed it some while back so that it's rolled onto "friends only" unless you fix it.
JoeSapphire: well fancy that! My privacy settings prevent me from contacting people! Thanks for the life hack ;)
ugly ole bastard huh.......
Vote: ugly ole bastard
JoeSapphire: well fancy that! My privacy settings prevent me from contacting people! Thanks for the life hack ;)
TheGOGfather: ugly ole bastard huh.......
I apologise, of course.

I aught to have said "unhelpful ole ugly ole bastard"
Currently unable to see messages sent through PM/chat.
I'm fine thanks. I don't know either though. What's up with you gogfather?
Mildly dyspeptic.....
TheGOGfather: Mildly dyspeptic.....
Oh, I'm sorry, sir. I'm anaspeptic, phrasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.
PM chat now functioning.....carry on
WIFOM - A mathematical analysis

So I was going through mafiascum wiki, reading about all the weird roles and came across their WIFOM page.
https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=WIFOM

Sadly, although it gives some extremely nice examples, the answers to the questions at the end are not provided.

So let's take a look at the first example given:
When chasing down a dangerous criminal, a policeman comes to a fork in the road. To the left is a dark alleyway where the criminal would have a moderate chance of escaping (even if the cop correctly follows him that direction). To the right is a well-lit boulevard where the criminal would surely be caught. The policeman doesn't know which way the criminal went. If he guesses wrong, the criminal will easily make a clean getaway.
If you were the criminal, which way would you go?
If you were the policeman, which way would you guess the criminal went?
What are the asnwers to the questions? Which way is the best way to go as the criminal? Which way is the best way to go as the policeman?

(Note: in the calculations below, I'm going to use 33% to mean 1/3 and 66% to mean 2/3. Unfortunately fractions do not appear nicely when you don't have access to proper mathematical notation).

Let's assume that if both go into the well-lit boulevard, the criminal definitely gets caught, while if both go into the dark alleyway, the policeman has 50% chance of catching the criminal. If they go into different directions, the criminal escapes.

First of all, you can use make use of your knowledge of the other person's knowledge/ignorace/stupidity. If the criminal knows that the policeman is ignorant of which path lies which way and makes his choice randomly, then the criminal's strategy should be to always go to the dark alley. There is a 50% chance that the policeman goes the other way, and if the policeman goes same way, there is a 50% chance of escaping anyway, giving him an overall 75% chance of escaping. Sehr gut!
Similarly, if the policeman knows that the criminal is ignorant and makes his choice randomly, then the policeman should always choose the well-lit boulevard, giving him a 50% chance of catching the criminal. Wunderbar!
If the criminal knows that the policeman follows the above strategy (i.e. always goes to the well-lit boulevard), he should always go to the dark alleyway. If the policeman knows that the criminal knows that the policeman... etc... etc... etc...

So what, should be the optimal strategy assuming the layout of both paths is common knowledge?

First of all, let's define what "common knowledge" is. It doesn't simply mean "everyone knows it". It can be recursively defined as:
X is common knowledge if:
_ Everyone knows X. AND
_ Everyone knows that X is common knowledge.

This means that: Everyone knows X AND Everyone knows that everyone knows X AND Everyone knows that everyone knows that everyone knows X... etc.

So what's the best strategy for the criminal is if the layout of both paths is common knowledge? It's not to go to the dark alley. If he chooses that strategy then the policeman can choose a counter-strategy of always going that way too, giving the criminal only a 50% chance of winning. Furchtbar! He can do better.

The perfect strategy for the criminal is to randomly choose the dark alley 66% of the time, and the well-lit boulevard 33% of the time.

This gives him a solid 66% chance of winning to matter what counter-strategy the policeman adopts. Richtig!

If the policeman always goes to the well-lit boulevard, he catches the criminal only if he goes there too, which is 33% of the time. If the policeman always goes to the dark alley, he catches the criminal half the time he goes there too, meaning half of 66% which again gives 33% chance of catching him. If the policeman does what the criminal does, and goes 66% of the time into the dark alley, then the chances of catching the criminal are:
_ If both go to the well-lit boulevard, which is 1/3 * 1/3 = 1/9 of the time.
_ Half the time both go to the dark alley, which is 1/2 * 2/3 * 2/3 = 2/9 of the time.
Giving a total of 3/9 of the time = 33%.
In fact the above is the optimal strategy for the policeman.
If any of the two deviates from their strategy, then the other one gets a counter-strategy that increases his chances of winning (i.e. the criminal can have a better chance of winning than 66%, and the policeman a better chance of winning than 33% if either deviates from the strategy above).

The situation above (one where each player has an optimal strategy regardless of what the other player does, but causes the other player to improve their odds if he deviates from the optimal strategy), is called a Nash equilibrium. In this case, it's called a mixed strategy equilibrium (since the optimal play is a mixed strategy, as opposed to a pure strategy, where the optimal play is to always choose one way). John Nash proved in 1950 that every finite game has at least one such equilibrium point.

The above is of course a simple example. If you enjoy this sort of thing, you can calculate the optimal strategy when there are more paths and more different payoff values (e.g. there can be 3 outcomes: the criminal escapes, the criminal gets caught and the criminal escapes but breaks his leg which for the criminal is a worse payoff than escaping but better than getting caught).

Till next time. Auf Wiedersehen.

PS. One more thing about that WIFOM page which I didn't like is that the first sentence describes WIFOM as circular reasoning. The phrase "circular reasoning" is often used to describe something else: a phallacy where one tries to prove a claim with a premise that presupposes the claim e.g. A is bigger than B because B is smaller than A.
ZFR: snip
The concept is sound, but in practice this sort of mathematical analysis requires that players are cognizant of the mechanics involved.

Which doesn't tend to be the case here - we rarely know there's a dark alley much less that there's a specific chance tied to it.

It wasn't a primary factor, but in this last game as cop trying to determine who to investigate I did include in my spreadsheet the possibility of a watcher, and if so whom they were most likely to watch (guess: SPF/cristi/flub in that order). So my behavior was modified at least slightly by something that, it turned out, had a 0% chance of occurring in that setup.
Had to cancel Netflix a few months back to save a bit of money.

Now can't watch Hot Fuzz.

Was listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc7dmu4G8oc and saw all the comments. Now I'm sad. Should probably just buy it for xmas. ;)
bler144: Had to cancel Netflix a few months back to save a bit of money.

Now can't watch Hot Fuzz.

Was listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc7dmu4G8oc and saw all the comments. Now I'm sad. Should probably just buy it for xmas. ;)
I recommend the entire VGPS album, it's great!
bler144: Had to cancel Netflix a few months back to save a bit of money.

Now can't watch Hot Fuzz. [...]
You mean you don't have it on DVD?!?
SirPrimalform: I recommend the entire VGPS album, it's great!
I was playing the whole album ;)

HypersomniacLive: You mean you don't have it on DVD?!?
I kinda took access for granted when we were on Netflix, and money's been a bit tight for the last...decade so I haven't been buying much.

I bet I can get it from the library though.