It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

yogsloth: door on the left?

or

door on the right?
I'll go for either, really, but with how many unusual games there have been since I've started playing, I'd probably like a few more normal games before whacking it up with some whacked games.

My game will be quite unusual (no bastard elements I think though)...some people might not even know for sure if they're town or not or what their win conditions are...and it's best with 19 players (C'MON MORE PLAYERS!!!)
drealmer7: My game will be quite unusual (no bastard elements I think though)...some people might not even know for sure if they're town or not or what their win conditions are...and it's best with 19 players (C'MON MORE PLAYERS!!!)
While there's no single definition of 'bastard modding' that sounds pretty solidly into bastard modding to me. What's their motivation/direction if they don't even know what faction they are or how to achieve victory?

As for 19...I'm still pretty skeptical. Bigger/longer games also seem more likely to end up needing subs, and with 19 on the field, plus you and an assistant mod, I'm not sure there'd be any bench at all. But you still have a number of months to see who's around and who's not.

I was actually thinking to compile a list of who's actively available/willing to play these days...

But since I'm now bumped down to #5, it's not my problem for a while. ;) ;)
drealmer7: My game will be quite unusual (no bastard elements I think though)...some people might not even know for sure if they're town or not or what their win conditions are...and it's best with 19 players (C'MON MORE PLAYERS!!!)
bler144: While there's no single definition of 'bastard modding' that sounds pretty solidly into bastard modding to me. What's their motivation/direction if they don't even know what faction they are or how to achieve victory?

As for 19...I'm still pretty skeptical. Bigger/longer games also seem more likely to end up needing subs, and with 19 on the field, plus you and an assistant mod, I'm not sure there'd be any bench at all. But you still have a number of months to see who's around and who's not.

I was actually thinking to compile a list of who's actively available/willing to play these days...

But since I'm now bumped down to #5, it's not my problem for a while. ;) ;)
It's all in the phrasing. "might not even know for sure" doesn't mean they won't have a good idea/be pretty sure, it just means there might not be a YOU ARE VANILLA TOWN in their PM when they are in effect vanilla town. I figure some people will go "oh, I figure that means I'm town! I wonder if I have hidden powers or if I'm vanilla?"

There are no "townies" in my setup, anway! They are "villagers" ! ... but then, even the baddies are villagers, they've just been turned into werewolves who live in the village too.

and it should be obvious to the "good guys" that they need to eliminate the werewolves without a PM explicitly stating so

still working on it all of course, it's mostly to avoid PM-talk problems (for you, trent!...and others) and to make it unique and flavorful - I want everyone to be able to talk about their PMs if they want to without it being an "OMG YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT YOUR PM" issues.

entire PM example: "you are bob. you like to fish"

"bob" can probably figure out he's probably "vanilla town" and he needs to work with the rest of the villagers to eliminate werewolves without any of that being explicitly stated in his PM.

"bob" can also say, if he wants to, in the game thread "hey all, I'm bob, and I like to fish" without it being an issue.

it will be up to everyone else to determine if his liking to fish means he has a power role or not, which he may or may not know about until he "unlocks" the ability/an awareness of the ability by performing some action/saying something during the game

I'm just trying to be hopeful for the 19 players. Hopefully we generate more players over the next several months, hopefully some old players come back, and that it will be able to happen. If it doesn't it will still run with any number 12 and up. Heck, it'll run with 26 too!

and the logistics of me handling that number doesn't bother me at all. I think I can handle it, really. The only issue would be replacements. but with a larger group, people need to be prepared for a longer game, and only commit if they are commited!
Post edited February 15, 2016 by drealmer7
yogsloth: Game 1 is a more "vanilla" kind of game, similar to the one just played... but of course with plenty of yogslothian silly flavor. This game's mechanics are finished; I just have to finish writing all the intro flavor and PMs. Which, as you know from my prior game, takes a whack ton of time.

Game 2 is a different animal. It's a game that plays a bit of havoc with the basic rules. It's still Mafia, but changes a couple of core mechanics. Since I've made a big point of disliking such surprises, players will be told up front (most) of how it works, but you'd have to be ready for some real twists. This game is actually lighter on flavor as the mechanics take center stage.
Either one sounds fun to me. I loved the flavor of your last one, and the second one twings my "ooo" radar.

bler144: Funny, I was going to offer a similar choice - my game 1 being a bit similar to Wyrm's game in flavor (the nunnery game) but with an actual town and no scoreboard. My game 2 option wouldn't change any mechanics but has at least one bastard-mod element.
Again, "ooo".
yogsloth: I have two games in my pocket, and I'd be interested to hear the players' opinions on which they'd like to play.

Game 1 is a more "vanilla" kind of game, similar to the one just played... but of course with plenty of yogslothian silly flavor. This game's mechanics are finished; I just have to finish writing all the intro flavor and PMs. Which, as you know from my prior game, takes a whack ton of time.

Game 2 is a different animal. It's a game that plays a bit of havoc with the basic rules. It's still Mafia, but changes a couple of core mechanics. Since I've made a big point of disliking such surprises, players will be told up front (most) of how it works, but you'd have to be ready for some real twists. This game is actually lighter on flavor as the mechanics take center stage.
Both sound fun, I'd vote for #1 just for the flavor.
yogsloth: Game 1 is a more "vanilla" kind of game, similar to the one just played... but of course with plenty of yogslothian silly flavor. This game's mechanics are finished; I just have to finish writing all the intro flavor and PMs. Which, as you know from my prior game, takes a whack ton of time.

I'm always up for a game 1, but I say go for the game 2 so we can change it up :)
drealmer7: I'm just trying to be hopeful for the 19 players. Hopefully we generate more players over the next several months, hopefully some old players come back, and that it will be able to happen. If it doesn't it will still run with any number 12 and up. Heck, it'll run with 26 too!

and the logistics of me handling that number doesn't bother me at all. I think I can handle it, really. The only issue would be replacements. but with a larger group, people need to be prepared for a longer game, and only commit if they are commited!
As someone who manages in people IRL, I'd just say to be aware that you're setting goals that work against each other.

Increasing a population beyond its normal range often requires lowering the bar for entry - but here you're talking about raising the bar for entry - "be prepared for a longer game, and only commit if committed." E.g. you may end with 14 signups [who met the standard] begging for 5 more - "anyone with a pulse!? No, ok, even a pulse is optional!"
Post edited February 15, 2016 by bler144
bler144: Increasing a population beyond its normal range often requires lowering the bar for entry - but here you're talking about raising the bar for entry - "be prepared for a longer game, and only commit if committed." E.g. you may end with 14 signups [who met the standard] begging for 5 more - "anyone with a pulse!? No, ok, even a pulse is optional!"
Agreed. If there are firm measures in place to force the game along at a reasonable pace (exact numbers are debatable, but it just can't drag too much), then it shouldn't be too bad. I would still anticipate 2 or 3 players needing to be replaced in a game of 19+ if it lasts for much over a month and a half. Things come up, and can't be anticipated over longer periods of time.
Post edited February 15, 2016 by Krypsyn
bler144: Increasing a population beyond its normal range often requires lowering the bar for entry - but here you're talking about raising the bar for entry - "be prepared for a longer game, and only commit if committed." E.g. you may end with 14 signups [who met the standard] begging for 5 more - "anyone with a pulse!? No, ok, even a pulse is optional!"
Krypsyn: Agreed. If there are firm measures in place to force the game along at a reasonable pace (exact numbers are debatable, but it just can't drag too much), then it shouldn't be too bad. I would still anticipate 2 or 3 players needing to be replaced in a game of 19+ if it lasts for much over a month and a half. Things come up, and can't be anticipated over longer periods of time.
I usually have pretty bad ideas, so here's another one:
You can speed it along and encourage more joining by adding a daykill role or two to clear the field a bit. Or make it a little madcap, depending on the theme, with a virus or something that kills off a player every X amount of hours.
yogsloth: I'm going to be out of town for 10 days end of March / into April on vacation
If you went to London for 5-6th of March, you could Attend PC Gamer Weekender
yogsloth: Game 1

Game 2
Game 1 sounds fun. Considering that from what I have heard about "Yogslothian sillyness", I treat them as legendary and would like to get a taste.

I am intrigued by Game 2. I think there are plenty of players with keen eyes on details and mechanics, so such a game looks likely to be a success. If anything, it would be interesting mix among other games. I say - go for it!

Speaking of interesting, I found Krypsyn's Russian roulette game highly amusing. Note to myself: never give goglodyte a gun. They will shoot themselves for fun. Twice.
Post edited February 15, 2016 by Dessimu
Krypsyn: Agreed. If there are firm measures in place to force the game along at a reasonable pace (exact numbers are debatable, but it just can't drag too much), then it shouldn't be too bad. I would still anticipate 2 or 3 players needing to be replaced in a game of 19+ if it lasts for much over a month and a half. Things come up, and can't be anticipated over longer periods of time.
You'd also need lots of killing.

Lots and lots of killing.
flubbucket:
"O_P Flub, you mutated.
flubbucket:
Dessimu: "O_P Flub, you mutated.
No. (S)he is finally showing his/her true face! :-)
Dessimu: "O_P Flub, you mutated.
Lifthrasil: No. (S)he is finally showing his/her true face! :-)
Actually, it is just a role claim. Guess you didn't get the Day 0 notice.