It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

rtcvb32: Depends on how closely tied in the DRM is... If it checks every frame if the DRM is running and is valid, and is in several places including init, closing out, using networking, etc, it may be easier just to dummy out the single call that says everything's fine than strip out the unwanted binaries...

I've done some hacking on exe's before, you don't just delete stuff, if the size of the binary changes it could mess the rest of it up. If it's a completely separate binary... i don't know, maybe it's the server connection that uses the DRM. Besides for being older titles that probably don't get support anymore, they aren't going to spend a bunch of time trying to get it to recompile so they can disable/remove it...
I wonder if GOG could find a way to just block the Multiplayer call to the DRM. That might fix the problem. I deleted the FEARMP.exe file and Singleplayer FEAR runs just fine. Maybe GOG could do something like that.
IronArcturus: I wonder if GOG could find a way to just block the Multiplayer call to the DRM. That might fix the problem. I deleted the FEARMP.exe file and Singleplayer FEAR runs just fine. Maybe GOG could do something like that.
I can try hacking the exe file, assuming it isn't encrypted or stripped of all symbols...
IronArcturus: I wonder if GOG could find a way to just block the Multiplayer call to the DRM. That might fix the problem. I deleted the FEARMP.exe file and Singleplayer FEAR runs just fine. Maybe GOG could do something like that.
rtcvb32: I can try hacking the exe file, assuming it isn't encrypted or stripped of all symbols...
I would think the SecuROM DRM is embedded somewhere in there. Maybe you could get rid of it--for the benefit of all mankind! :P
IronArcturus: I would think the SecuROM DRM is embedded somewhere in there. Maybe you could get rid of it--for the benefit of all mankind! :P
I'll try... PM me and you can email it to me... although i can't verify or test it...

edit: I can only hope it's something very very very simple...
Post edited February 19, 2015 by rtcvb32
rtcvb32: Depends on how closely tied in the DRM is... If it checks every frame if the DRM is running and is valid, and is in several places including init, closing out, using networking, etc, it may be easier just to dummy out the single call that says everything's fine than strip out the unwanted binaries...

I've done some hacking on exe's before, you don't just delete stuff, if the size of the binary changes it could mess the rest of it up. If it's a completely separate binary... i don't know, maybe it's the server connection that uses the DRM. Besides for being older titles that probably don't get support anymore, they aren't going to spend a bunch of time trying to get it to recompile so they can disable/remove it...
I already have Securom infected games but as a SP exclusive player I deleted the FEARMP.exe on my copy as well
darthspudius: All these magical problems with SecuROM and I have never seen one. It always makes me question it sometimes.
I lost 2 hard drives and 3 burners to that dreaded thing. Both HD's were bricked and 2 of the three berners would not even register as a drive, even in other machines. It happens otherwise there would not have been several lawsuits about it. Any time I install something I am always looking to see if a new infection has started.
low rated
darthspudius: All these magical problems with SecuROM and I have never seen one. It always makes me question it sometimes.
clisair: I lost 2 hard drives and 3 burners to that dreaded thing. Both HD's were bricked and 2 of the three berners would not even register as a drive, even in other machines. It happens otherwise there would not have been several lawsuits about it. Any time I install something I am always looking to see if a new infection has started.
So why after all this time have I never had a single problem? :/ If it is soo unreliable surely by chance it would of effected me by now.
darthspudius: So why after all this time have I never had a single problem? :/ If it is soo unreliable surely by chance it would of effected me by now.
Well, an ex-girlfriend told me her best friend's second cousin once installed a game that used SecuROM...the police never found the bodies of all of his family members. SecuROM is evil!
rtcvb32: Would it be better to modify it to keep customers happy? Or remove the game because it causes problems and lose on sales?
But does it? So far OP is the only one to even have mentioned this. And based on what I read here, it's still not clear whether these are active Securom files or just dead data garbage.

For the record, I've been playing the game too, and didn't have any such problems with it.

Would be nice if we could finally get an official statement on this matter.
CharlesGrey: Would be nice if we could finally get an official statement on this matter.
I have been keeping an eye on this thread and it does bother me that no blue has contributed.
I do not own that game here (or anywhere else but that does not really matter here) but I suspect that SecuROM is not really installed on the OP's computer, it only seems to be.

Disclosure: I did not read every posts in the thread.
I think people need to learn the difference between active and inert DRM. It's not nice, but it's nothing to go hypochondriac over.
jamyskis: I think people need to learn the difference between active and inert DRM. It's not nice, but it's nothing to go hypochondriac over.
You mean I should stop taking Lysergic acid diethylamide with Hydric acid?
high rated
clisair: I lost 2 hard drives and 3 burners to that dreaded thing. Both HD's were bricked and 2 of the three berners would not even register as a drive, even in other machines. It happens otherwise there would not have been several lawsuits about it. Any time I install something I am always looking to see if a new infection has started.
darthspudius: So why after all this time have I never had a single problem? :/ If it is soo unreliable surely by chance it would of effected me by now.
If it affected everyone's PC then SecuROM would have died long ago. The whole "if it doesn't affect me then it isn't an issue" really doesn't help.

The fact of the matter is that it DOES cause issues with some computer setups and it CAN brick hardware. There have been lawsuits about it so clearly evidence exists, otherwise they would have just been thrown out. Newer versions of SecuROM were supposed to have had some components removed to prevent it from bricking optical drives, but I can't say I've followed this any further as I resolved to go DRM-Free or Steamworks only.

There is a demand for DRM-Free because of the issues that DRM has caused in the past, SecuROM and Starforce being big contributors to this.

GOG's games are all supposed to be DRM-Free (though some do need unique multiplayer keys for online play). As such, if a GOG game starts creating SecuROM registry entries then this needs looking into to determine if it is active or inert, and if it is inert do the keys potentially cause issues with any existing SecuROM enabled games that the user may have on their PC? So we need a response from GOG support to clarify what the case is here.
high rated
The classic mantra of "if it doesnt affect me then it doesnt exist" thingie. bleah
mobutu: The classic mantra of "if it doesnt affect me then it doesnt exist" thingie. bleah
We live in the era of enlightenment, don't you know?