It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II remain cult classics not only among D&D fans, but cRPG gamers in general. With countless hours of gameplay, captivating stories, colorful characters, and many memorable locations they're one of the most intense and extensive role-playing experiences you can get while sitting in front of your PC. But to say that they didn't age at all might be a bit of a stretch. That's why some people would go a great distance modding and upgrading both those titles to combine them into one, seamless, visually updated game--an enhanced edition, if you will.

We're well aware of a commercial project aiming to achieve that goal. Originally, actually, that was scheduled to release today. That didn't happen, unfortunately, but that does give us a great reason to tell you how to make your own enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate. It's very nearly hassle-free and (especially with the sale going on) it won't cost you much at all. There's one catch, though: you need copies of both Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 in order to enhance your game. Let's see how! One of our users, GoJays2025, committed his time to write a comprehensive guide on the topic. We know not all of you dare to venture into our forums, so we thought that sharing this guide here, might be a good idea!

So, are you ready to enhance your GOG.com edition of Baldur's Gate saga and play both games as one, seamless adventure with the visually superior BG2 version of the engine and its updated mechanics, and with high-res graphics better suited for your modern wide-screen display? Here's how you do it, according to GoJays2025!

1. Fully install Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga
2. Fully install Baldur's Gate II Complete.
3. Download Baldur's Gate II Fixpack (Download links are on the left side) and extract it to your Baldur's Gate II directory.
4. Run the newly extracted setup-bg2fixpack.exe (if not automatically started).
5. It is safe to select yes for all the optional fixes, but if you want to learn about each in detail, consult the readme file that comes with the fixpack.
6. Download BGT-WeiDU and extract it in your Baldur's Gate II directory.
7. Run the newly extracted Setup-BGT.exe and follow the instructions. You may need to run it in administrative mode in Windows Vista/7.
8. Enter Baldur's Gate I's directory when asked (if not already provided)
9. Wait for BGT-WeiDU to finish installing.
10. OPTIONAL: Download and install Baldur's Gate 1 Unfinished Business as well as BG 2 Unfinished Business. These mods restore things that were previously cut from the released product, so while you don't need them, and they do add new content, they're pretty nice to have, especially if this is not your first time.
11. OPTIONAL: Download and install any user-created material (banter packs, expansion mods, new NPCs, etc.)
12. Go to your Baldur's Gate II directory, then find and run the file Setup-BGTMusic.exe and select 'Hybrid Baldur’s Gate/Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal music'. This makes it possible to hear the original Baldur's Gate music when playing Baldur's Gate I.
13. OPTIONAL: (for more experienced users) Download Baldur's Gate II Tweak Pack (if this link doesn't work, please try the emergency mirror site) and apply it in the same way as the fixpack. Consult the readme file for details of each tweak - too many to list here. If you don't know what a tweak does even after consulting the readme, just skip it.
14. OPTIONAL: Download and install the Bigger Fonts for BGII mod if you plan to play in really high-res and don't want to strain your eyes reading tiny text.
15. Download the widescreen mod and apply it in the same manner as the fixpack. This makes it possible to play the game in high resolutions and in widescreen format.
16. Remove the Baldur's Gate I installation if you wish - it's done its job!

Now you should be able to play the game all the way from Baldur's Gate I to the end of Throne of Bhaal in one continuous game! Enjoy!

Note: If you're on Windows 7 you might want to install the games in a directory other than C:Program Files or C:Program Files (x86) to avoid potential problems. C:Games should work.

The original forum thread, that also includes some other installation options, can be found here:
Baldur's Gate saga essential mods by GoJays2025
I have too many games to play :D. I'm still at around the end of Act I in Witcher 2. Also want to play BG Reloaded. Or maybe re-play the old BG series entirely? So many choices...
kevin.rogovin: I wonder about EasyTutu, do a google search, for some reason I cannot post links.

EasyTutu seems a lot easier, though it is really English only. Anyone use that instead of the much longer list?
Yes. I used EasyTutu and it was easy and it did a very nice job of updating BG1 to BG2 visuals and UI.

In my case, I applied EasyTutu, a mod to give me back the appearance of the BG1 UI, the fix pack, NPC banter mod and that was it. Awesomeness.

I played this configuration from start to finish for about 70 hours without a single issue of any kind.
kevin.rogovin: I wonder about EasyTutu, do a google search, for some reason I cannot post links.

EasyTutu seems a lot easier, though it is really English only. Anyone use that instead of the much longer list?
Crosmando: There was a time when BGT was buggy and Tutu was better, but BGT is now at the stage when it's superior to EasyTutu, so I'd advise using that.
How exactly is BGT superior to EasyTutu? I played though a tutu install and never encountered a single bug of any kind. How does one do better than that? I can appreciate some people's subjective preference for making Baldur's Gate one big huge game but that is just a subjective call. That doesn't make BGT superior to Tutu as far as I can tell, keeping in mind I never played with BGT. But again, why would I if I preferred BG1 to be its own game by itself and if there was no bugs or any other problems which there wasn't?
Post edited July 06, 2013 by dirtyharry50
Layarion: If security really is a concern you wouldn't be on an admin account, you would be on a user account and just elevate whatever when necessary. finally you would install windows 8 because it's RAM and other things are protected in such a way that the same attacks that worked on windows 7 would not work on windows 8.
williamjcm: 1st, using a standard user account is bad (at least on Vista) because almost anything require admin priviliges ("Steam Client Service", "Origin Client Service", GOG that use the new 2.x installers...)

2nd, W8 didn't allow me to install Skyrim and other games (it was on a friend's PC, my PC cannot run W8) because they were rated PEGI 16 or PEGI 18. And I think Metro (the W8 desktop) looks bad on a PC IMO.
everyone hates Vista, Windows 7 has 1 more feature on the UAC options that helps.

but anyway, so that means parental controls are set on your friends computer, duh. change them, unless you 14 and don't have the password to those controls then yea it's a problem but it's not for adults. and yea i preffer windows 7, to me 7 is like having windows XP. stable and not a hassle. windows 8 gave me issues with printer drivers
What should I execute after installing the entire set?
low rated
I still find it funny that so many people think a bunch of fan-made hacks applied to the original game is going to come anywhere near as good in quality as a professional commercial HD remake.
anjohl: I still find it funny that so many people think a bunch of fan-made hacks applied to the original game is going to come anywhere near as good in quality as a professional commercial HD remake.
Again this trolling? Look at JA2 1.13 and JA2:WF for a fan-made hack and a commercial HD remake.
Not to mention the fact that a DVD of Star Wars with Han shooting first is a fan-made remake, while the commercial HD remake has Han returning fire.

Yes, I will keep repeating this until you understand it. You are the one that is advocating the fan-made hacks for Star Wars, yet belittling them for games. Do you also want me to post where you posted that? Or do you recall it, and will quietly apologize for being wrong and leave this kind of discussions to rational people?
anjohl: I still find it funny that so many people think a bunch of fan-made hacks applied to the original game is going to come anywhere near as good in quality as a professional commercial HD remake.
JMich: Again this trolling? Look at JA2 1.13 and JA2:WF for a fan-made hack and a commercial HD remake.
Not to mention the fact that a DVD of Star Wars with Han shooting first is a fan-made remake, while the commercial HD remake has Han returning fire.

Yes, I will keep repeating this until you understand it. You are the one that is advocating the fan-made hacks for Star Wars, yet belittling them for games. Do you also want me to post where you posted that? Or do you recall it, and will quietly apologize for being wrong and leave this kind of discussions to rational people?
No, the DVD with Han shooting first is a commercial product, as is the later DVD and Bluray with Greedo shooting first. And while I have no problem apologizing for insisting I am correct when I am not, it has happened so seldomly that the conventions have become lost in the mists.
JMich: Again this trolling? Look at JA2 1.13 and JA2:WF for a fan-made hack and a commercial HD remake.

anjohl: No, the DVD with Han shooting first is a commercial product, as is the later DVD and Bluray with Greedo shooting first. And while I have no problem apologizing for insisting I am correct when I am not, it has happened so seldomly that the conventions have become lost in the mists.
This is not a commercial product. And this is the remake I'm talking about, which contains the extended scenes.
You've also ignored the JA2 part.
Again, know what you are talking about.

Must I post again the crap you've spewed the last time we were talking about Star Wars and Mods? How you should either accept the creators vision (which includes Han shooting first, and the first Trilogy) and not use anything altering them (including previous releases)?

Yes, I do expect you to apologize and retract your statements.

P.S. Convention

a : agreement, contract

b : an agreement between states for regulation of matters affecting all of them

c : a compact between opposing commanders especially concerning prisoner exchange or armistice

d : a general agreement about basic principles or procedures; also : a principle or procedure accepted as true or correct by convention

a : the summoning or convening of an assembly

b : an assembly of persons met for a common purpose; especially : a meeting of the delegates of a political party for the purpose of formulating a platform and selecting candidates for office

c : the usually state or national organization of a religious denomination

a : usage or custom especially in social matters

b : a rule of conduct or behavior

c : a practice in bidding or playing that conveys information between partners in a card game (as bridge)

d : an established technique, practice, or device (as in the theater)

See convention defined for English-language learners »

See convention defined for kids »
I'd suggest getting an up-to-date English dictionary, it could help you quite a bit in making an argument
low rated
JMich: Completely nonsensical, illogical ramblings, etc, etc.
The Star Wars debate was regarding canon, not video game mods. Again, a commercial product, with investors, and peoples rent money on the line will ALWAYS trump a fan hack made in a basement, by default, if nothing else.
I generally don't bother with mods, but some of the Infinity Engine mods have been a very pleasant surprise for me. Not just the technical/visual mods like the widescreen mod, but also the NPC mods. Some of these writers are as good as professionals, but having no deadlines they can make much deeper characters than pro writers ever could. I have a very low tolerance for amateur writing, but some of this stuff is honestly better than most writing you'll see in games.
anjohl: The Star Wars debate was regarding canon, not video game mods. Again, a commercial product, with investors, and peoples rent money on the line will ALWAYS trump a fan hack made in a basement, by default, if nothing else.
The Star Wars debate was regarding whether a fan made product (Star Wars Revisited) was better than a commercial product (Star Wars Blu-Ray version). It was also part of the "If the creator wanted Han to shoot first, he wouldn't remove the scenes were Han shot first". That is more or less your "argument" about mods, isn't it? That if the creator wanted something included, he would do so himself.

P.S. I assume you mean "people's rent money", not "peoples rent money". May I suggest getting a proper English dictionary? It would help you understand what others are writing, though I'm not sure you'll be able to follow their logic. You do seem to have a very rigid mindset.
Unless of course you are just trolling, and I don't mean it in the fishing sense.
Have you played it? And BG with mods? You'd think a professional remake would be better right? Too bad it turns out not to be. And even if you really like the (ugly) new UI, the (disappointing, blurry) zooming feature and the (ok-ish) new content, you'd have a hard time arguing the original+mods is `nowhere near' the quality of the remake. The remake really didn't add that much, and among the things they added are also a fair amount of bugs and performance issues. And now the remake is in legal trouble too, which is kind of a bummer for the people who hoped for it to at least win out on the long-term support. Ironically, it seems that the original will be a better version to buy for that as well, right now.
low rated
LordCinnamon: Geek contrarianism, etc.
That's what's great about capitalism, I don't have to play fanfiction/hacks, I can wait for the market to find the star programmers to make the content worth consuming. If free things are better than paid-for things, they become the paid-for things, ala Counter Strike and Portal.
anjohl: star programmers
:-D

Honestly, for anyone considering modding IE games, I can't recommend it enough regardless of wether you are new to them or not. I played BG back when it came out and a few years ago modded, and the mods make it a better game than it ever was. The improved pathfinding alone makes TUTU worth it. I was pulling my hair with the terrible pathfinding when I first played BG1. It's not perfect even with TUTU, but it's worlds better. Modded BG1 is a great game.

It takes some effort to mod IE games, but it's well worth the effort.
low rated
No, the original game, as designed by the legendary Bioware is the definitive version, played as it is meant to be. The new enhanced version, as a new game for veterans of the original, is the definitive version for those who want updated graphics. No fan hack is going to fit the style of the original game in the same way that a professional art designers work would.