It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The wait is over – Phantom Liberty, a full-fledged expansion to Cyberpunk 2077, has arrived in its full glory, and is now available on GOG!

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty is an action spy-thriller where you, the player, will yet again become V, a cyberpunk for hire who is thrown into the shadowy world filled with espionage. It offers a new, full, complex storyline, a new district – Dogtown – to discover within Night City limits, a powerful new skill tree, new quests, gigs and contracts; new items and weapons, and an infinite amount of replayable open world activities.

As the Night City’s aspiring mercenary legend, you will cross paths with a new cast of characters; including veteran secret agents, cunning political players, and bloodthirsty guns for hire. On your way, you’ll be joined by the secret agent of NUSA, Solomon Reed, portrayed by Idris Elba – to take on a difficult mission so, filled to the brim with tough choices, twists and turns.

The expansion will also bring you to a completely new part of Night City – Dogtown, the most dangerous district so far, ruled by arms dealer and warlord, Kurt Hansen. The district brings in new gigs and characters, but also offers new boss fights, infinitely replayable open world activities in the forms of airdrops and courier missions; and even more to discover.

You will also gain access to over 100 new items – vehicles, weapons, clothing, and cyberware – as well as see a whole new Relic skill tree (on a redesigned skill tree) with unique Relic perks, to bring even more freedom and flexibility to your playstyle curation.

If you haven’t stepped into Night City yet, you can get both the base game and the expansion in a special Cyberpunk 2077 & Phantom Liberty Bundle, now discounted -20%; and whether a newcomer, or a seasoned edgerunner, you can navigate HERE, to ensure your installation of the expansion goes smoothly.

Now, grab your gear, get your cyberdeck ready, and let’s meet in Dogtown – Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty is now available on GOG!
MarkoH01: [...] buying on GOG grants me the game but none of the additional stuff that would be nice to have even though it is not necessary (*) to play the game itself.
So to get these rewards and additional items I STILL would have to subscribe to certain services and use certain clients and I just don't understand why this is the case.
I thought buying here would give me the same experience (if technical possible) without having to do any of those shenanigans but this is not the case.
(*) stuff like online-multiplayer and server-based achievements?

By that definition, GOG customers already don't get the "full" gaming experience, depending on the game(s) they buy here.

I couldn't care less about any of the above and the same goes for "stuff that would be nice to have, even though it is not necessary".

If I can play a game whenever I want (without having to be online and/or log into some server first), I consider a game to be DRM-free.
MarkoH01: ...
What, if anything, would not lead us in circles?

Everything you said can be dismissed with "it's just a shirt bro." Or "they never promised that." Or "just use the console." Or "I don't care, and lol CDPR doesn't either."

Or "lol, why would you ever trust a corporation."

Forget trust, the only thing you can trust is black on white. And even then only if you're prepared to involve the authorities or lawyers. Forget CEOs' pleading and PR bullshit, you're not being talked to as an individual coming from an individual, but as a faceless face of a corporation who isn't accountable to the individual. For the same reason, they will not respond to your question. Surely by now you've seen enough of the world to know how it is?

"DRM-free" is the only promise one could technically hold GOG or CDPR accountable for (as it is black on white), so at least it is not unreasonable to discuss whether they have broken that promise.

Of course, even that is futile since the term has no universally accepted definition and indeed GOG has made up their own definition since long ago, and they have since then clarified that they're OK with gated content.
Any piece of technology that is built into the game, that manages the player's ability to access game content after it has been purchased/downloaded is DRM. Also, DRM is a mechanism, not content in itself. For even the most trivial cosmetic hat to be locked requires the same DRM mechanism to be present that would be required to lock the entire game.

BreOl72: (*) stuff like online-multiplayer and server-based achievements?
I certainly consider online-multiplayer that requires a 3rd-party server to be DRMed multiplayer. The practical effect is that the MP mode is not preservable and will go away, once that server is taken down. Another way to look at it is that the MP server application is actually part of the game - therefore the developer is effectively withholding a part of the game you have purchased (so they can control it). I would not personally accept those terms of purchase.
Post edited October 01, 2023 by Time4Tea
MarkoH01: Imo the whole definition thing - which of course will lead us in circles as always - is unnecessary. You can name it DRM or you can name it anything else.
I think the reason for this massive DRM definition confusion and us arguing amongst ourselves is that CDPR have now introduced indirect-Micro-Transactions into the game.

DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. It's a system that determines whether a user has the right to access the content that they are trying to access. Vanilla Cyberpunk 2077 "My Rewards" were protected by online DRM via a mandatory GOG Galaxy requirement, but they were granted for free without any additional nonsense. It was DRM and nothing else.

Now with Phantom Liberty, they added indirect-Micro-Transactions. Some are for owning and having played Witcher 3 and Gwent. Some are granted by Amazon Prime. Some are granted by Twitch drops. Some are granted for purchasing and gifting Twitch subscriptions. That last one annoyed everyone in particular, even those who used to argue that original "My Rewards" were not protected by DRM.

CDPR used to stand against both DRM and Micro-Transaction, however they have now implemented both.
DRM is bad. Micro-Transactions are bad. However the two are not the same and should not be conflated. One can exist without the other:
A) If they had granted us all this content for free, like in Vanilla Cyberpunk 2077, it would have been DRM and nothing else.
B) If they had generated offline installers for all of the "My Rewards", including the new ones from Twitch, then then they would have been DRM-Free indirect-Micro-Transactions.
C) If they had simply granted us all this content for free and generated or integrated them into offline installers, without requiring Galaxy, there would be no DRM and no indirect-Micro-Transactions, just like in the good old days of The Witcher 2.

I would be happy with B or C, though obviously C is better. I am not happy with the current state and I would not be happy with A either, although it would be better than the current state.
clarry: Or "just use the console."
That one annoys me in particular. The GUI of the console is not present in the game, unlike with The Witcher 3, so it requires a mod just so we could have an interface. The console method is essentially a crack for "My Rewards".

The whole point of me purchasing from GOG is that I expect all of my purchases to come "pre-cracked". If I now have to start cracking my games myself, I may as well go back to Steam and their far larger library.
Post edited October 01, 2023 by SargonAelther
Honestly, the only people I ever come across who seem to have a big problem with the definition of DRM are those who seem to want to convince themselves that "it's only a little bit, so it's ok". "It's only a cosmetic hat, an optional outfit. What difference is that going to make?"

They seek to use the semantics as a shield to protect their convenience; to justify believing what they want to believe and carrying on doing what they have become accustomed to.

In actuality, there is absolutely no grey area with DRM - no room for argument. A door can't be half-locked - either it has a lock on it, or it doesn't. If your ability to access content is being digitally managed, then by definition --> it is DRM.
Post edited October 01, 2023 by Time4Tea
Time4Tea: Honestly, the only people I ever come across who seem to have a big problem with the definition of DRM are those who seem to want to convince themselves that "it's only a little bit, so it's ok". "It's only a cosmetic hat, an optional outfit. What difference is that going to make?"

They seek to use the semantics as a shield to protect their convenience; to justify believing what they want to believe and carrying on doing what they have become accustomed to.

In actuality, there is absolutely no grey area with DRM - no room for argument. A door can't be half-locked - either it has a lock on it, or it doesn't. If your ability to access content is being digitally managed, then by definition --> it is DRM.
Well said. have a plus one.
SargonAelther: B) If they had generated offline installers for all of the "My Rewards", including the new ones from Twitch, then then they would have been DRM-Free indirect-Micro-Transactions.
I would personally classify that as 'micro-DLCs', but I agree that would be fine. As long as they don't contain anything that allows them to be remote-controlled post-purchase, then there is no DRM.
Johnathanamz: Looks like you did not read my comments above where I did mention CD Projekt SA. In fact I will repeatedly keep telling you CD Projek SA is CD Projekt RED on the Polish stock market, but you know keep telling me gog.com is not CD Projekt RED and CD Projekt RED is not gog.com. May be I can poke my ears a little bit harder to not hear you. So keep going keep telling me they are not owned by each other.
SargonAelther: Source about the Polish Stock Market Claim? Even if I were to Google "CD projekt red stock market", I'd get a result for
CD Projekt SA stocks with a statement: "CD Projekt RED is owned by CD Projekt", which matches the hierarchy on their own website.

Anyway, I regret joining this particular argument. It has pretty much nothing to do with a far larger issue of the presence of DRM for some content within modern CDPR games.
I will just close out this argument with the winning one. A gog.com employee responded to me a few years ago saying CD Projekt RED is gog.com. That gog.com employee's name is Judaliscariot. You may of remembered him talking to me at one point about this. Search up my post history if you want to find it. I have no time to look for it.
SargonAelther: Source about the Polish Stock Market Claim? Even if I were to Google "CD projekt red stock market", I'd get a result for
CD Projekt SA stocks with a statement: "CD Projekt RED is owned by CD Projekt", which matches the hierarchy on their own website.

Anyway, I regret joining this particular argument. It has pretty much nothing to do with a far larger issue of the presence of DRM for some content within modern CDPR games.
Johnathanamz: I will just close out this argument with the winning one. A gog.com employee responded to me a few years ago saying CD Projekt RED is gog.com. That gog.com employee's name is Judaliscariot. You may of remembered him talking to me at one point about this. Search up my post history if you want to find it. I have no time to look for it.
Ok, so let's ignore CD Project's own website, the Google results, the Wikipedia, the NoClip documentary, etc that paint a clear picture of GOG and CDPR being sibling entities, both of which are owned by CD Projekt SA, because "Trust me bro".

That's like saying that Bethesda Game Studios, ZeniMax Online Studios, id Software, etc are all the same. They are not the same, they are sibling companies all owned by ZeniMax media, which is in turned owned by Microsoft now.

So, sure, you win. This time I will certainly no longer respond to the discussion about CD Projekt's corporate structure. There are bigger problems to talk about.
Post edited October 01, 2023 by SargonAelther
By the way,

Cyberpunk2077PhantomLiberty Telegram channel name is on sale at Fragment, just check it out.
BreOl72: (*) stuff like online-multiplayer and server-based achievements?
I said if technically possible ...

BreOl72: By that definition, GOG customers already don't get the "full" gaming experience, depending on the game(s) they buy here.

I couldn't care less about any of the above and the same goes for "stuff that would be nice to have, even though it is not necessary".
That's fine for you but it does not change the fact that you don't get them if you don't subscribe or use the client so for those of us who do care it does matter. If you aren't affected that is great and therefore there's no need to post because you already have what you want.

BreOl72: If I can play a game whenever I want (without having to be online and/or log into some server first), I consider a game to be DRM-free.
Once again - definitions don't change facts. Fact is you need to subscribe or use a client to get the items so if you are interested in them (which you are not) you are screwed or forced to act against your principles.
clarry: Everything you said can be dismissed with "it's just a shirt bro." Or "they never promised that." Or "just use the console." Or "I don't care, and lol CDPR doesn't either."
You can dismiss everything if you like - you just need some creative explanation. What I wanted to say is that CDPR knows how GOGers (or at least those of us who are a bit longer here) are ticking and they still decided to not care and yet they still ask for forgiveness and trust ... that's all.
Post edited October 01, 2023 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: May I ask if you have blocked internet access to the executable? I've now managed to get my game to run without Galaxy by not allowing the executable to phone home.
I tried that (running the game with network disconnected). It still crashes like before for me.
Time4Tea: In actuality, there is absolutely no grey area with DRM - no room for argument. A door can't be half-locked - either it has a lock on it, or it doesn't.
I can't help but imagine these sentences against the background of a discussion between religious zealots. Of course, that is completely out of context - isn't it?

All the best

phil
Post edited October 02, 2023 by φιλα_δελφία
Time4Tea: In actuality, there is absolutely no grey area with DRM - no room for argument. A door can't be half-locked - either it has a lock on it, or it doesn't.
φιλα_δελφία: I can't help but imagine these sentences against the background of a discussion between religious zealots. Of course, that is completely out of context - isn't it?
Some things genuinely are black-or-white issues - not everything has a grey area. I don't think simply pointing that out equates to 'religious zeal'. Can a bike be half-locked to some railings?

The point I'm making is that I often see DRM being mis-characterized as a 'grey area' issue, when it really isn't. It's essentially the opposite of the 'black or white fallacy'.
MarkoH01: Thank you very much.
Hi there! I tried to verify your settings. Did you only block the Cyberpunk2077.exe?

All the best

phil
Post edited October 02, 2023 by φιλα_δελφία