It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Prepare for a dark fantasy RPG, featuring modern design combined with a classic 8-bit look and feel. SKALD: Against the Black Priory is coming soon to GOG.COM!

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Nice pick GoG. Insta wishlisted!
Looks great, would have been an instabuy.
high rated
dtgreene: Also, why only to level 20?
Because Baldur's gate doesn't even need to go to 11 to be a good game. ;)
yay!

very happy to see this come here.

looking forward to it.
Swedrami: Very nice, and just in time too, being close to wrapping up Nox Archaist.

Obligatory friendly voting reminder for other, similar titles:

Realms of Antiquity
Battle for Esturia
Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous
Phantasie series
Questron series
The Magic Candle series
Legacy of the Ancients
The Legend of Blacksilver
UnReal World
voted for all of them. thanks for the heads up.
SCPM: Great to see that this is coming here, and for similar game wishlist entries, let me also add Excelsior Phase 1 and 2:
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/excelsior_phase_one
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/excelsior_phase_two_errondor
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/excelsior_series
And I loved the freeware game DBQuest, the developer is working on a follow up in Unity:
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/dbquest
and voted for all of these. :)
Post edited April 16, 2021 by lostwolfe
low rated
dtgreene: Also, why only to level 20?
MadalinStroe: Because Baldur's gate doesn't even need to go to 11 to be a good game. ;)
Unfortunately, Baldur's Gate *isn't* a good game, so that's not exactly a good example.

The problem with such low level caps is that, unless the game is short, character growth, which is one of the fun parts about RPGs (and games of other genres that use this mechanic), occurs way too rarely.
MadalinStroe: Because Baldur's gate doesn't even need to go to 11 to be a good game. ;)
dtgreene: Unfortunately, Baldur's Gate *isn't* a good game, so that's not exactly a good example.

The problem with such low level caps is that, unless the game is short, character growth, which is one of the fun parts about RPGs (and games of other genres that use this mechanic), occurs way too rarely.
The game is short compared to other RPG's. I read the dev did not want to make the game go on as long as most other RPG's.

For example, the game is shorter than the original Ultima games were.
Post edited April 16, 2021 by allope
GOG.com: Coming soon: SKALD: Against the Black Priory
Oooh, nice.
Insta-wishlisted.
low rated
dtgreene: Unfortunately, Baldur's Gate *isn't* a good game, so that's not exactly a good example.

allope: The game is short compared to other RPG's. I read the dev did not want to make the game go on as long as most other RPG's.

How does it compare length wise to SaGa 1? (Final Fantasy Legend 1 in the US.)

Is it as short (which would mean maybe 8 hours for a first play through), or is it your typical "short" RPG length of 15-20 hours?
Touché! You are right, it probably isn't a good example, since I haven't played SKALD: Against the Black Priory. But Baldur's Gate it's an underrated masterpiece, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.
Post edited April 16, 2021 by MadalinStroe
allope: The game is short compared to other RPG's. I read the dev did not want to make the game go on as long as most other RPG's.

dtgreene: How does it compare length wise to SaGa 1? (Final Fantasy Legend 1 in the US.)

Is it as short (which would mean maybe 8 hours for a first play through), or is it your typical "short" RPG length of 15-20 hours?
As a kid in the 80's the Ultima's would take me about 2-3 months to complete each game. But here is the article where the dev compares it to the Ultima series, but not with a specific number: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-developer-of-retro-rpg-skald-says-he-doesnt-care-if-it-makes-money

15-20 hours sounds like a good estimate
Post edited April 16, 2021 by allope
low rated
MadalinStroe: Touché! You are right, it probably isn't a good example, since I haven't played SKALD: Against the Black Priory. But Baldur's Gate it's an underrated masterpiece, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.
And I say that Baldur's Gate is an overrated piece of trash.

Well, I'm not sure if it is true garbage (it's not as bad as the NES version of Ultima 5, for example), but it's still not that good (any good version of Ultima 5 is better than Baldur's Gate (though I tend to compare BG to Ultima 6 rather than 5; U6 does many things better than Baldur's Gate)).
MadalinStroe: Touché! You are right, it probably isn't a good example, since I haven't played SKALD: Against the Black Priory. But Baldur's Gate it's an underrated masterpiece, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.
And I'll fight both you and dtgreene by saying that good and bad are subjective, and you are arguing about meaningless things since you don't share values.

Also - Baldur's Gate 1 6/10; 2nd one was better.
Maxvorstadt: No, it`s Ultima IV Remake: The Quest for the Skalditar

Hm, max char level is only 20? Well, but it sounds interesting, so off to the wishlist it goes.
Maybe gameplay wise, but Skald is type of Bard in Baldur's Gate/DnD 2E and Pathfinder (and the class I currently play in Kingmaker CRPG), so Skald's Tale seems more appropriate:D
Post edited April 17, 2021 by Mafwek
It looks interesting, but I am a bit worried that the retro goodness will be tainted by modern day curse:

From Kickstarter page:

[i]Exclusive In-Game Content
"The Hermitage" is a small Imperial safehouse in Idra where you will gain access to exclusive items, recruitable NPCs and story content.
"The Lord of Idra" will give you access to a sea-side estate that will give you access to unique resources and characters.
Both pieces of content may be released as add-ons to the original game down the line.[/i]

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scapeit/skald-against-the-black-priory/description

I do not wish to spread false rumors but it looks like a DLC to me.
Post edited April 17, 2021 by Sulibor
low rated
Mafwek: And I'll fight both you and dtgreene by saying that good and bad are subjective, and you are arguing about meaningless things since you don't share values.
Not entirely; there are some games that are *so* bad that they're notorious for being awful games, to the point where there's actually a term for games that bad: "kusoge".

Ultima 5 NES would fit in this category; the game really is that bad. (Other games that are this level of bad are E.T., Superman 64, Action 52, and Hoshi wo Miru Hito.

(The last game on that list apparently has a fan remake that, unlike the original is actually good (or at least decent).)
Mafwek: And I'll fight both you and dtgreene by saying that good and bad are subjective, and you are arguing about meaningless things since you don't share values.
dtgreene: Not entirely; there are some games that are *so* bad that they're notorious for being awful games, to the point where there's actually a term for games that bad: "kusoge".

Ultima 5 NES would fit in this category; the game really is that bad. (Other games that are this level of bad are E.T., Superman 64, Action 52, and Hoshi wo Miru Hito.

(The last game on that list apparently has a fan remake that, unlike the original is actually good (or at least decent).)
They still depend on subjective perception and/or opinion of people to be considered bad in the first place, hence subjective.