It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

MechWarriors, assemble!

<span class="bold">BattleTech</span>, the Kickstarted take on tactical 'Mech combat by the creators of Shadowrun Returns, is coming soon, DRM-free on GOG.com.

It's 3025 and the world is being torn apart by conflict while an interstellar civil war is a-brewing. The only way to survive is by leading your own mercenary outfit of MechWarriors through this brutal power struggle between corrupt rulers and ambitious aristocrats. Customize your giant BattleMechs and pilots, keep them upgraded and fit for battle, then unleash them upon your enemies in turn-based skirmishes that might as well decide the future of this war-ravaged world.
Post edited May 15, 2017 by maladr0Id
trusteft: Speaking of Paradox, why haven't they brought Stellaris here yet?
Not done milking the steam fanbase off their money with DLC yet would be my guess. Sells on steam gets down enough they'll bring it here to start tapping a new customer base.
Tarm: GOG can fix it! They can fix everything techie for oldies games. Trust in the GOG. The GOG is good.
dudalb: But does GOG want to fix it?
Here is the problem. A 16 Bit Windows game would cost so much to convert to 32 bit that it would have to be a really big seller to make it worth while for GOG to do that.
I have never played MissionForce: Cyberstorm and have no opinion about it ,but it seems to have been only a modest success,not the kind of well known classic that would justify GOG's going to the expense of a total conversion to 32 bit if it is a 16 bit game.
It was a critical success, is fondly remembered by anyone who enjoyed Earthsiege property games and was probably one of the best, if not the best turn based tactical strategy mech games released during that period. IMO, the only reason it didn't sell as well was due to it not being Battletech. Slap a FASA logo on it back then and replace HERCs with Mechs, keep the customization options, and I have no doubt that not only would Cyberstorm have been a critical success, but a commercial one as well. It's an excellent game.
LiquidOxygen80: It was a critical success, is fondly remembered by anyone who enjoyed Earthsiege property games and was probably one of the best, if not the best turn based tactical strategy mech games released during that period. IMO, the only reason it didn't sell as well was due to it not being Battletech. Slap a FASA logo on it back then and replace HERCs with Mechs, keep the customization options, and I have no doubt that not only would Cyberstorm have been a critical success, but a commercial one as well. It's an excellent game.
Yes, still love it much, and I always have to repeat how great it was that they packed two CDs in, so that you could play with a friend.
tremere110: You can get it to work using the RBXIT patch and running it as an admin.
https://github.com/juanitogan/rbxit/wiki/CyberStorm-1

RBXIT main page
Tarm: I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!

Edit: Dangit the manual with the Bioderm biographies doesn't work. Those were fun to read. Still grinning like crazy right now. :D
Glad it worked for you. There shouldn't be an issue for GoG to offer Missionforce Cyberstorm here - at least in a getting it to work on modern Windows aspect. The work for them in that respect has already been done.

Now if only GoG can convince whoever has the rights currently...
Both Cyberstorm games were really good, I agree. Most of the old Cybrid universe games are now freeware courtesy of the current IP owner, Hi-Rez Studios, but unfortunately these two games were left out for some reason. Not sure why, maybe because they're spinoff titles unrelated to the Tribes continuity. I'd definitely suggest checking with them if there's sufficient interest though, since they're obviously eager to make old games available to the public.

I'd love to see the old MW/MC games on here too, but the legacy IP is a bigger mess than Inner Sphere politics so it's not likely to happen soon. AFAIK it was a herculean task just for Jordan Weisman and Russ Bullock to gain the ability to make new games going forward. At least I still have my disks, so there's that.
Post edited May 13, 2017 by NovusBogus
Heh, this is pretty awesome. I'm glad I'll have the chance to get the game from here.
Tarm: I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!

Edit: Dangit the manual with the Bioderm biographies doesn't work. Those were fun to read. Still grinning like crazy right now. :D
tremere110: Glad it worked for you. There shouldn't be an issue for GoG to offer Missionforce Cyberstorm here - at least in a getting it to work on modern Windows aspect. The work for them in that respect has already been done.

Now if only GoG can convince whoever has the rights currently...
Many thanks, nope and yeah.

If GOG manage to get the rights for selling the game I'll by it again from here for certain even though I already got a working copy now. Hopefully getting working Bioderm biographies (This game shines in its attention to explain its universe here and there. Be it planets your missions are on or equipment for your HERCs.) and a nice easy Galaxy integration. For now I'm happy though. :)
dudalb: But does GOG want to fix it?
Here is the problem. A 16 Bit Windows game would cost so much to convert to 32 bit that it would have to be a really big seller to make it worth while for GOG to do that.
I have never played MissionForce: Cyberstorm and have no opinion about it ,but it seems to have been only a modest success,not the kind of well known classic that would justify GOG's going to the expense of a total conversion to 32 bit if it is a 16 bit game.
LiquidOxygen80: It was a critical success, is fondly remembered by anyone who enjoyed Earthsiege property games and was probably one of the best, if not the best turn based tactical strategy mech games released during that period. IMO, the only reason it didn't sell as well was due to it not being Battletech. Slap a FASA logo on it back then and replace HERCs with Mechs, keep the customization options, and I have no doubt that not only would Cyberstorm have been a critical success, but a commercial one as well. It's an excellent game.
To be honest, I pretty much wrote off the Earthsiege games as just another Battletech clone.
Post edited May 13, 2017 by dudalb
trusteft: Speaking of Paradox, why haven't they brought Stellaris here yet?
Tarm: Not done milking the steam fanbase off their money with DLC yet would be my guess. Sells on steam gets down enough they'll bring it here to start tapping a new customer base.
I guess it could be the case.
Tarm: Not done milking the steam fanbase off their money with DLC yet would be my guess. Sells on steam gets down enough they'll bring it here to start tapping a new customer base.
trusteft: I guess it could be the case.
Customer base is the thing for online sellers. Just like in real life where you put your store where people are and not in a wasteland. That's why it is so important to break steams stranglehold on the online game market.
Well at least Shattered Steel is being sold here, as inferior as that game is to Mechwarrior.
YES!!!
ssokolow: I was excited when I saw this in my feed reader... then I saw it wasn't DOSBox'd versions the "Crescent Hawk's Inception" and "Crescent Hawk's Revenge" games that you can find at a premium on eBay in the Activision PowerHits: BattleTech pack alongside the original Mechwarrior.

I then proceeded to lose interest since there was no Linux release and it'll no doubt be ages before it hits my $5 US "buy it despite my games backlog already growing rather than shrinking" price point.

guppy44: This looks intriguing. I haven't heard of it before now, but I like what I read/see. In all honesty, I never got to play any of the old MechWarrior or MechCommander games. The only one I ever had (and I believe still have the big box somewhere) is EarthSiege.
ssokolow: Last I checked, Microsoft had released MechCommander Gold and MechCommander 2 as free downloads. (I know they also released the source for a networking-less version of MechCommander 2 as some kind of Shared Source example.) Knowing Microsoft, they've broken my bookmarks 20 times over with their site rewrites, but you can probably still google them up.
This new game is most definitely being released on PC, Mac AND Linux.

Its only the Backer beta thats not due to them being a small team, and putting out a beta on 3 platforms is too much .
high rated
TL, DR: Good practices in selling (new) games + good old games + good community = WIN.

trusteft: I guess it could be the case.
Tarm: Customer base is the thing for online sellers. Just like in real life where you put your store where people are and not in a wasteland. That's why it is so important to break steams stranglehold on the online game market.
Indeed. Without losing what made GOG great. Lest it becomes a copy of Steam only without what Steam does better. GOG ought to focus on strenghtening from its own advantages.

Added: Just to make it clear: DRM free; the chance to play completely offline. The option to play and install without a software client. Rejecting games with abusive DLC policies; curating and keeping playable good old games; and last but not least in any way, keeping a healthy community of pc games enthusiasts.
Post edited May 14, 2017 by Carradice
ssokolow: I was excited when I saw this in my feed reader... then I saw it wasn't DOSBox'd versions the "Crescent Hawk's Inception" and "Crescent Hawk's Revenge" games that you can find at a premium on eBay in the Activision PowerHits: BattleTech pack alongside the original Mechwarrior.

I then proceeded to lose interest since there was no Linux release and it'll no doubt be ages before it hits my $5 US "buy it despite my games backlog already growing rather than shrinking" price point.

Last I checked, Microsoft had released MechCommander Gold and MechCommander 2 as free downloads. (I know they also released the source for a networking-less version of MechCommander 2 as some kind of Shared Source example.) Knowing Microsoft, they've broken my bookmarks 20 times over with their site rewrites, but you can probably still google them up.
dav34: This new game is most definitely being released on PC, Mac AND Linux.

Its only the Backer beta thats not due to them being a small team, and putting out a beta on 3 platforms is too much .
Ahh. I assume they said that on Kickstarter? I haven't visited that place since they decided to remain silent when I asked them to rule on Stoic language-lawyering their promises for people who backed enough on TBS 1 to get TBS 2 and 3 too.

(I have a strong sense of ethics and morals and I just don't have the time anymore to be willing to commit to ensuring that people who try to cheat me wind up wasting more billable time dealing with me than the money they got from cheating me, so I just focus on my massive and ever-growing entertainment backlog and wait for things to drop to $5 US or lower... with discretionary exceptions up to $7.50 US)
Post edited May 14, 2017 by ssokolow