It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

vicklemos: Kinda sad to see so many amazing russian pc games (both past and present) and none being the most played by russian steam users. At least brazilians play a brazilian game, "out there somewhere". Hey, it's something! :P

Btw no Witcher 3 toppin' the charts on Poland? Wut?! :P
Of course, all the Polish people have it on GOG.
vicklemos: Kinda sad to see so many amazing russian pc games (both past and present) and none being the most played by russian steam users. At least brazilians play a brazilian game, "out there somewhere". Hey, it's something! :P

Btw no Witcher 3 toppin' the charts on Poland? Wut?! :P
blotunga: Of course, all the Polish people have it on GOG.
I was expecting this pretty soon :P
Ark and Rocket League were the big surprises for me. I knew Counter-Strike would be huge.
I'm surprised Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Skyrim are still selling really well.

Big Fallout and Witcher sales were expected.

There were other surprises for each country:
US: Goat Simulator managed to beat so many proper games.
Russia: Dirt 3, Rust and Mortal Kombat X
UK: Football Manager...2015 and 2016
Germany: Project Cars...
France: Game Dev Tycoon and Oddworld
Poland: Car Mechanic 2015, Gunslinger, the Cartel, Grid Autosport, Spintires
Brazil: San Andreas, BioShock 2, Age of Mythology
Australia: Total War, Napoleon, Stanley Parable, Dead Rising 2, This War of Mine
Turkey: Payday 2, more Football Manager

The most eccentric country to me is Poland, with such a wide spread of genres and titles. Its cool to see.
Italy is not charted, since games are not bought.

Are copied.
vicklemos: At least brazilians play a brazilian game, "out there somewhere". Hey, it's something! :P
OMG, I remember this game! I bought it in 2012 when it still had the "Sega Master System" cover-like. Feels weird to see it in a top chart after all those times :o)

R8V9F5A2: I'm surprised Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Skyrim are still selling really well.
Eurotruck had regular DLC releases (along with various sales/bundles) so that explains it (and it has no competition at all too...)
Post edited December 23, 2015 by catpower1980
Licurg: What the fuck is Rocket League, and why did it sell nearly twice more copies than Witcher 3 ?
It's a good game actually, Licurg. Plus W3 and Rocket League are meant for different kinds of audiences so comparisons can't be made. Check out some gameplay videos.

Edit: When I saw per country in title I was somehow hoping for an analysis on Indian sales as well, was a bit disappointed that there wasn't one.
Post edited December 23, 2015 by Hunter65536
Hunter65536: Edit: When I saw per country in title I was somehow hoping for an analysis on Indian sales as well, was a bit disappointed that there wasn't one.
If you have Twitter, you could ask him directly:
https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy
vicklemos: At least brazilians play a brazilian game, "out there somewhere". Hey, it's something! :P
catpower1980: OMG, I remember this game! I bought it in 2012 when it still had the "Sega Master System" cover-like. Feels weird to see it in a top chart after all those times :o)
Yeah, good for devs, eh? :P
mike_cesara: In Poland boxed version of The Witcher was significantly cheaper than on Steam.

DVD Disc with the game
An exclusive CD with the official soundtrack
The official, developer-created "The Witcher Universe: Compendium"
A beautiful, detailed map of the in-game world
A set of unique Witcher 3 stickers
A stylish, protective sleeve
mike_cesara:
That's the same version I bought. Well, except it's in German/English. :)
Licurg: What the fuck is Rocket League, and why did it sell nearly twice more copies than Witcher 3 ?
catpower1980: The other dudes who replied aren't good at elevator pitches so here it goes:

"It's football with cars instead of humans"

You take the classic "car football" sequence from Top Gear from a few years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIeu7_-iwdw

And you convert it for modern gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UylSAK0wsiU

Why make complicated games when simple ideas can bring good stuff and enjoyment?
It looks like an old UT2004 mod mod from ages ago plus it's been promoted by steam so that would boost its sales.
catpower1980: If you have Twitter, you could ask him directly:
https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy
Thanks for the tip! To give more context to my request, its just that people I know irl who play games often pirate them if they are singleplayer and buy if they are multiplayer like CS:GO, Insurgency, etc. I just wanted to see if this was a localized trend or it was uniform one throughout India.
So, no charts for Canada? That's fine, I wasn't curious or anything. ;_;

Despite the relatively boring results of those charts, it's good to see Undertale and Besiege make their way so high on our neighbors of the south charts.
R8V9F5A2: Ark and Rocket League were the big surprises for me. I knew Counter-Strike would be huge.

When goat simulator came out it was met with widely mixed feelings in gaming communities including here. I laughed my ass off at the trailer and thought how ridiculously stupid the game looked that I just HAD to try it out sometime. I love it when developers are creative and have a good goofy sense of humour and break the mold of what is accepted commonfare and do something unique and unusual no matter how crazy it might be. I commented how I'd love to see Goat Simulator show up on GOG and it was impressive how many people hated off about the game just because it is a silly premise and they had zero sense of humour whatsoever. The fact is though that shit tonnes of people out there DO have a sense of humour and DO appreciate a game like this that is just ridiculous silly fun. Games are about being entertained and having fun and there are no strict rules on how to achieve that. Likewise, different people find different things fun, so there will always be games out there that some people go crazy over with excitement and other people aren't interested in or even hate the idea the game exists.

If those numbers are accurate though it shows clearly and unambiguously that there is a MASSIVE market for games like Goat Simulator regardless of what any naysayer might think or say, and as long as such a market exists then occasionally a developer will think outside of the box and produce something like this. I find it quite refreshing to see ridiculous titles like this produced, and quite honestly I'd love to see this game show up on GOG.com. I got an opportunity to play it on a friend's account and loved it, but I decided to hold out and wait and see if it came to GOG.com. It's even been on deep sale on Steam lately and I held out hoping for a GOG release.

Sadly what's more likely to happen now is that I'll wait another 6-12 months and it'll go on sale again for like $2 or show up in Humblebundle or IndieGala bundles coupled with 12 other games for $1-3 and I'll say "ah, fuckit it is never coming to GOG anyway" and buy the bundle, then 6-12 months later it'll come to GOG for $19.99 regular price with a 50% off launch discount of $9.99, then 3-6 months later it'll show up for $4.99 in a seasonal promo, or roughly 2-5 times what the cheapest Steam or bundle site charged for it. Even if I would have bought it, I'll likely already own it from a bundle or something and be disappointed it didn't show up on GOG earlier.

Hopefully GOG and publishers get working more closely together in the future so that GOG gets more 0-day releases and people don't end up already owning games on Steam or elsewhere by the time they show up here.

At any rate, Goat Simulator has been legitimized by endless people voting with their wallets for sure, despite the naysayers. Kudos to that, and hopefully they make an even stupider Goat Simulator 2 or whatever. LOL
catpower1980: Very simple....

ARK: "first" (at least for a wide public) survival game featuring dinosaurs, thus it gained good potential for streaming on twitch with its novelty factor.

H1Z1: Sony is behind it so they can afford to make marketing campaigns to increase awareness (definetly more budget for ads than the devs of Bohemia)
Good points. From Steam Spy article at Wikipedia:
Games using the Steam Early access program typically had their largest sales at the point of release for Early Access as opposed to on their completed release.
R8V9F5A2: Ark and Rocket League were the big surprises for me. I knew Counter-Strike would be huge.

skeletonbow: When goat simulator came out it was met with widely mixed feelings in gaming communities including here. I laughed my ass off at the trailer and thought how ridiculously stupid the game looked that I just HAD to try it out sometime. I love it when developers are creative and have a good goofy sense of humour and break the mold of what is accepted commonfare and do something unique and unusual no matter how crazy it might be. I commented how I'd love to see Goat Simulator show up on GOG and it was impressive how many people hated off about the game just because it is a silly premise and they had zero sense of humour whatsoever. The fact is though that shit tonnes of people out there DO have a sense of humour and DO appreciate a game like this that is just ridiculous silly fun. Games are about being entertained and having fun and there are no strict rules on how to achieve that. Likewise, different people find different things fun, so there will always be games out there that some people go crazy over with excitement and other people aren't interested in or even hate the idea the game exists.

At any rate, Goat Simulator has been legitimized by endless people voting with their wallets for sure, despite the naysayers. Kudos to that, and hopefully they make an even stupider Goat Simulator 2 or whatever. LOL
He yeah, I'm rather salty because I happen to enjoy simulator games; racing sims, Euro Truck, ship simulator...
Goat was obviously made as a parody of all the simulator games out there, the humor is not entirely lost on me.

However for it to be in the top 20 of sales is strange to me. From what I have seen the game might be fun for 30-60 minutes or so but then you would have done most of what you can really do in the game. There's not much content in the game compared to how much content there is in Witcher 2, Age of Empires 2 HD and Don't Starve.
Thats what I meant by 'proper' games, how much content and gameplay time there actually is.