It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

j0ekerr: My two cents are as follows.

As someone else has already pointed out and done so well. This is more like running away from a mess that you took part in, than trying to fix it.
The arguments for leaving were, as a whole, populist, sentimental and patriotic bordering on jingoism. The worrying thing is, they worked.
Of course it worked. From what I know UKs politicians have been saying for years and years something like "You have to get it worse just because. Me I'm going to get it better. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!".
It's the same all over Europe so yeah if someone comes along and says "We'll make it better for you." people might not necessary believe what they say but they hope they finally will get it better.
KiNgBrAdLeY7: But of course, my dear. It is your right to pick your poison and your own prison bars, no one will decide for you; only you have the right.

As Nietzsce said: "It is the business of the very few to be independent; it is a privilege of the strong." See around you only to realize this fine gent of a genius was completely right...
I'm looking for the new UK economy because now they will undestand what Greeks feel.
the new immigrants who want to find a job will be British
it will be awesome.

PS. Of course I'm sorry for those who voted for remain
Post edited June 24, 2016 by LiefLayer
catpower1980: It's just some kind of bluff (not the appropriate word but you get the idea). As expected, UK and EU will have a hard time on the market in the following weeks but things will go back to normal as contrary to a country like Belgium, UK has always have been an important country in terms of economy and politics for centuries so it's unlikely to change.
drewpants: It would just be nice if we could do that without being dicks to the rest of you, y'know? Co-operation is far me effective than this childish notion of 'independence' that keeps getting bounded around.
I'm listening to the radio and apparently, even if UK was out of EU, it will still be "eligible" to remain in the "free trade space" (I don't know the term in English). Anyway, I have some personal interest in the "future" of UK as I'm working on a book to be published in UK.
KiNgBrAdLeY7: But of course, my dear. It is your right to pick your poison and your own prison bars, no one will decide for you; only you have the right.

As Nietzsce said: "It is the business of the very few to be independent; it is a privilege of the strong." See around you only to realize this fine gent of a genius was completely right...
Please don't force a Godwin's law on the thread with that misused quote.
This is not independence it is nationalism, and the man you're quoting (whose name you've misspelled btw). Did say some things on nationalism.
They weren't nice things.

PS: It could be that this comment is an occurence of Poe's Law. In which case, I do apologize.
Post edited June 24, 2016 by j0ekerr
So Britain participated in making Europe the terrible thing it is now, complained all the time about it and today they run away. Good riddance I say.
catpower1980: It's just some kind of bluff (not the appropriate word but you get the idea). As expected, UK and EU will have a hard time on the market in the following weeks but things will go back to normal as contrary to a country like Belgium, UK has always have been an important country in terms of economy and politics for centuries so it's unlikely to change.
I assume that for the country, yes, things will settle on a new point of equilibrum, that may be better, equivalent, or worse that the previous one. But the UK will remain a significant and influential country, as it has been for centuries.

Yet, short term, the "ordinary , honnest persons" as mr Farage calls them, might pay dearly their "victory over the multinationals and the banks". It will affect employment, purchasing power, and it will be for them to pay, not for the bigger fishes. I would expect social conditions in the UK to be devaluated, Something the bigger fishes again will gain from. The exit treaty might take 2 to 5 years, it is only after that time that the new balance will settle in, I fear. In the meanwhile, both UK citizens and continentals will endure some pain.

As far as I ma concerned, aside from a massive victory for the "remain" vote ( that was impossible given how the EU has forgottent it is there to do something for the people, and ho badly (des)informed citizens are ) , I prefer a 52/48 brexit than a 48/52 remain. Why ? because with an undecisive remain, the main issue - that of contagion - would have been the same, but our elites wouldn't have been forced to act and think. With a brexit, there is at least a chance of a reaction in the correct direction, thus of a MT improvement? Far from guaranteed given the political dynamics, but a chance nevertheless.
Congrats from Belgium, UK! :) May others follow in your footsteps. The EU must fall.

To the 'Remain' camp, I offer a sincere handshake. Whilst I image this might be a major disappointment to you, take comfort in knowing an even stronger Britain will rise in due time.
Narakir: So Britain participated in making Europe the terrible thing it is now, complained all the time about it and today they run away. Good riddance I say.
I see it as they're in the same boat as Sweden. We two countries have been trying to change EU for many years but EU just keeps on trucking in the from our perspective wrong lane so UK finally said something like "Fine I give up. Have it your way. Though I'm not taking part of it anymore.".
I'm pleasantly surprised by this. Good for you, Britain. Better to go through a dark path now than a disastrous one later.

Another thing that surprises me is that the numbers showed that the majority of remain voters came from Ireland and Scotland. I would have thought that Ireland and Scotland would have been overwhelmingly in support of leaving. After all, they're quite familiar with having their own sovereignty compromised and being folded into a larger political entity, one that has often been outside of their preferred nature.
drewpants: It would just be nice if we could do that without being dicks to the rest of you, y'know? Co-operation is far me effective than this childish notion of 'independence' that keeps getting bounded around.
catpower1980: I'm listening to the radio and apparently, even if UK was out of EU, it will still be "eligible" to remain in the "free trade space" (I don't know the term in English). Anyway, I have some personal interest in the "future" of UK as I'm working on a book to be published in UK.
Well politics aside - keep me posted on the book. I'll buy a copy for you :-)
-cerberus-: Congrats from Belgium, UK! :) May others follow in your footsteps. The EU must fall.
And be replaced by what?

Independent states bickering with each other with less common ground than before?
catpower1980: BREAKING NEWS (well, not so surprising) : David Cameron is apparently resigning
The contrary would have been a major breach of decency.

There are, for me, only two ways to describe his behaviour. Either he planned to betray his constituents - who wanted a referendum - by a masquerade that would have had the effect of not changing anything -and failed to do so, either he made a gambit that ensure he was kept in power as the one providential man , and he failed.

Damnatio Memoria.

j0ekerr: Please don't force a Godwin's law on the thread with that misused quote.
This is not independence it is nationalism, and the man you're quoting (whose name you've misspelled btw). Did say some things on nationalism.
They weren't nice things.

PS: It could be that this comment is an occurence of Poe's Law. In which case, I do apologize.
It's Godwin's law(ish).
-cerberus-: Congrats from Belgium, UK! :) May others follow in your footsteps. The EU must fall.
Vitek: And be replaced by what?

Independent states bickering with each other with less common ground than before?
Saudi Arabia buying it all :)
Post edited June 24, 2016 by Narakir
Vitek: And be replaced by what?

insignificant, independant states, with hardline nationalits in power, negating the lessons learnt from 2 world wars and 45 years of Soviet dominance for the Eastern part , negating the demographics of our insignificance vs juggernaughts like India or China. A dream for some, a nightmare for many