It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Dalthnock: Dear lord, how embarrassing.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/684593/Brexit-Nicola-Sturgeon-keep-Scotland-in-EU-France-Spain

"I want to be very clear Scotland does not have the competence to negotiate with the European Union." - Spanish prime minister Mariano Rajoy

Oof. That’s... I don’t think anyone ever talked to Portugal or Greece like that & we’re basically the mascots of the EU.

I wouldn’t want to be Scottish right now. How humiliating. This is worse than a prostitute spitting in your face before you asked her to.
Not surprising...the Spanish want to discourage separatism because they're worried about the Catalans and the Basques.
morolf: Not surprising...the Spanish want to discourage separatism because they're worried about the Catalans and the Basques.
Yup.

Still embarrassing, though.

And the French didn't want anything to do with her, either. In fact, it seems to me only Junker was being friendly & supportive towards the lassie - for obvious reasons.

See, this is what you get when you try to bargain from a position of weakness. It's really not smart.
morolf: Not surprising...the Spanish want to discourage separatism because they're worried about the Catalans and the Basques.
Dalthnock: Yup.

Still embarrassing, though.

And the French didn't want anything to do with her, either. In fact, it seems to me only Junker was being friendly & supportive towards the lassie - for obvious reasons.

See, this is what you get when you try to bargain from a position of weakness. It's really not smart.
Juncker is demented...I've been avoiding news somewhat the last few days (too depressing), but apparently his first reaction after Brexit was "Now we've got to extend the Euro to all EU countries", and now he claims national parliaments shouldn't be asked about the free trade agreement with Canada.
That power-hungry drunkard and his ilk have to be permanently stripped of any influence.
Post edited June 30, 2016 by morolf
morolf: Juncker is demented...I've been avoiding news somewhat the last few days (too depressing), but apparently his first reaction after Brexit was "Now we've got to extend the Euro to all EU countries", and now he claims national parliaments shouldn't be asked about the free trade agreement with Canada.
That power-hungry drunkard and his ilk have to be permanently stripped of any influence.
You rock, my German friend. You. Rock.
low rated
tinyE: The door swings both ways.
Everything always has a sexual connotation with you, Mr e, disgusting.

I think you're a Homoerectus or something perverted like that.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/684593/Brexit-Nicola-Sturgeon-keep-Scotland-in-EU-France-Spain

"I want to be very clear Scotland does not have the competence to negotiate with the European Union." - Spanish prime minister Mariano Rajoy

Oof. That’s... I don’t think anyone ever talked to Portugal or Greece like that & we’re basically the mascots of the EU.

I wouldn’t want to be Scottish right now. How humiliating. This is worse than a prostitute spitting in your face before you asked her to.
They do have hygiene issues, you know.

richlind33: They do have hygiene issues, you know.
Not the ones I visit, they don't.
richlind33: They do have hygiene issues, you know.
Dalthnock: Not the ones I visit, they don't.
Only the cleanest of Scotsmen for you?
TARFU: Only the cleanest of Scotsmen for you?
Of course!
The EU doesnt want Scotland because no one can understand them when they speak.
Post edited June 30, 2016 by SirHandsome
SirHandsome: The EU doesnt want Scotland because no one can understand them when they speak.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2q0T7QXETs
johnnygoging: science, education, not capitalism, is what rose billions of humans out of poverty. and indeed, we're already kind of blurring things, because, without that science and education, those billions would not exist. The last couple hundred years have been different thanks to the men of science, not the men of capitalism. Capitalism has been doing the same thing for so many thousands of years.
I said myself that capitalism fueled innovation. And I was very explicit about the time period, so you are the one blurring things. The Enlightenment certainly came about centuries ago, and the associated scientific revolution was necessary - but not sufficient - for the improvements in living conditions that got globalized recently.

To say capitalism is millenia old is ridiculous. Banking / lending in some form is old indeed. But finance =/= capitalism. Now I also mentioned globalization, not just capitalism, and you seem to have elided that. The 50 year timescale of India and China, etc getting huge economic growth is mainly due to globalization. The Western World getting huge economic growth from industrialization is what is more directly caused by capitalism. Earlier Renaissance capitalism was incipient, and due to the dynamics of government heading towards absolutism in parallel with the enlightenment it took another century or so for the kind of liberalization that defines modern capitalism.

This is all pretty much established so I have no idea what you are trying to get at. Or rather, it seems liek the usual capitalism = greed propaganda.

richlind33: Where did you get this load of hooey from? It's common knowledge that the Rothschilds made great fortunes from leveraging rulers and influential people, and financing wars. That isn't even arguable. Furthermore, capitalism and centralized banking are in diametrical opposition to each other, and obviously so, as capitalism calls for the *decentralization* of economic authority.

You, sir, are a buffoon.
Thanks for resorting to personal insult so quickly. Makes it easier for me to say I had indeed already noticed your nationalist tendencies, and that you were likely what I call the Russia Today audience.

For the readers' benefit, I will point out:
1 - that the dynamic I presented is not incompatible with the one you are pointing out. However in the broad historical perspective the power of guns always ends on top. You need only look at 20th century history to realize this is still true in modern times, despite the common attempt you exemplify to cherry pick exceptional examples and assert them as being the universal truth.
2 - that you are the one conflating capitalism and centralized banking, and if you were to reread what I wrote you would find no such conflation. I hope you will at least feel some shame - and believe me - when I tell you that of course I agree that capitalism is fundamentally a decentralization of economic authority. To be more precise, it is a dis-intermediation, where the power of capital gets somewhat disconnected from state power at least for transactional activities / investments. How we get from there - if we get from there - to fully democratic economies where the monetary controls likewise get removed from national powers is uncharted territory though.
3 - that you are trying to have your cake, and eat it. It's pretty rich of you to now get on this horse of capitalism == democractic decentralization and strawman me as being implicitly on the side of elite oligarchies, when a while ago you were asking for capital controls due to economic war. You can have national control of the economy or people control of the economy. Choose.

PS: Kindly evangelize on the democratic and moral underpinnings of capitalism and how it differs from centralized banking with the previous poster I replied to. I can assure you being the pro capitalist voice in these fora is mostly lonely, and despite your nationalist sympathies and rudeness I'll appreciate the help - for the common good. :P
richlind33: Where did you get this load of hooey from? It's common knowledge that the Rothschilds made great fortunes from leveraging rulers and influential people, and financing wars. That isn't even arguable. Furthermore, capitalism and centralized banking are in diametrical opposition to each other, and obviously so, as capitalism calls for the *decentralization* of economic authority.

You, sir, are a buffoon.
Brasas: Thanks for resorting to personal insult so quickly. Makes it easier for me to say I had indeed already noticed your nationalist tendencies, and that you were likely what I call the Russia Today audience.

1 - that the dynamic I presented is not incompatible with the one you are pointing out. However in the broad historical perspective the power of guns always ends on top. You need only look at 20th century history to realize this is still true in modern times, despite the common attempt you exemplify to cherry pick exceptional examples and assert them as being the universal truth.
2 - that you are the one conflating capitalism and centralized banking, and if you were to reread what I wrote you would find no such conflation. I hope you will at least feel some shame - and believe me - when I tell you that of course I agree that capitalism is fundamentally a decentralization of economic authority. To be more precise, it is a dis-intermediation, where the power of capital gets somewhat disconnected from state power at least for transactional activities / investments. How we get from there - if we get from there - to fully democratic economies where the monetary controls likewise get removed from national powers is uncharted territory though.
3 - that you are trying to have your cake, and eat it. It's pretty rich of you to now get on this horse of capitalism == democractic decentralization and strawman me as being implicitly on the side of elite oligarchies, when a while ago you were asking for capital controls due to economic war. You can have national control of the economy or people control of the economy. Choose.

PS: Kindly evangelize on the democratic and moral underpinnings of capitalism and how it differs from centralized banking with the previous poster I replied to. I can assure you being the pro capitalist voice in these fora is mostly lonely, and despite your nationalist sympathies and rudeness I'll appreciate the help - for the common good. :P
Ah, so in addition to your other buffoonery, you don't know what crony capitalism is. Why am I not surprised? lol

I am neither a capitalist nor a nationalist; I do, however, distinguish elite institutions from democratic institutions, and eschew the former in favor of the latter.

Ta-ta for now. ;)
Post edited June 30, 2016 by richlind33
Brasas: Thanks for resorting to personal insult so quickly. Makes it easier for me to say I had indeed already noticed your nationalist tendencies, and that you were likely what I call the Russia Today audience.

richlind33: Ah, so in addition to your other buffoonery, you don't know what crony capitalism is. Why am I not surprised? lol

I am neither a capitalist nor a nationalist; I do, however, distinguish elite institutions from democratic institutions, and eschew the former in favor of the latter.

Ta-ta for now. ;)
Sadly, I find that most Europeans are generally distrustful of free market ideas or notions of true human liberty. Pavlov trained his dogs well.

How about a dumb American's opinion on free trade? Well, free trade means you just trade... freely. Not complicated. To me the concepts of common markets and 'economic interdependence' are both revolting and contradictory.
SirHandsome: The EU doesnt want Scotland because no one can understand them when they speak.
I had never problems with Scottish English, it's quite easy to understand. Scots or Gaelic is another thing.

Some examples of racism in Britain after the referendum: https://twitter.com/postrefracism Not all Brexit voters are racists, but some are.- and they have a party now. And Nigel Farage or Boris Johnson say exactly ... nothing against it. It would have been decent to clearly articulate that racism is not okay, but one can you expect...

And the fun fact: Nigel Farage dutifully attended European Parliament on tuesday.

Anyway I wonder - will Britain be a first hand recreated history experience of Germany before 1933? Becoming more and more right wing it might be possible, probably not in the next months but maybe later. Let's see.

As for the economic impact, it will take months to see the full extent. The initial fluctuations are over and now the markets will adapt to the new situation. Important figures to watch: GDP, Trade, Public Debt, Unemployment, Credit Rating.
Post edited June 30, 2016 by Trilarion