It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

richlind33: And this volatility is primarily caused by speculation and psychological reaction.
I kind of disagree. Fundamentally it's caused by unwarranted entitlement and human arrogance. They are not even trying, and then any minor challenge is seen as an epic struggle or a perverse injustice.

jamyskis: It's not so much that, but rather that nobody knows what the fuck is going to happen ...
You are missing my point. The uncertainty is to a large extent caused by the refusal to confront reality, and how it differs from subjective "speculation". There is a zeitgeist of refusal to face unpleasant facts across the globe, and a hollow sense of security built on top of it.

Or to put it in other words: No one ever knows what the fuck is going to happen. The End of History is over. It never really began.
Cavenagh: I live in Dover, it's full of romanians living in bed and breakfast, walking around all day doing nothing, while young white male and females sleep in doorways in the high street.
I'm not sure how you think romanians look like, but most of us are white. You probably meant gypsies which emigrated in large numbers and I hope never come back.. we have enough of them already.
Cavenagh: if I was going to live in another country 1) I'd make sure I had a job to go to 2) I'd learn the langaue, how else would I be able to comunicate.
I live in the Netherlands where honestly, you'll get by just fine by just speaking English. (well, some of the British dialects might be confusing to some)
Post edited June 29, 2016 by Pheace
Cavenagh: ...I'm white, male, and hetro ...
I fully agree about learning the local language but what have these attributes to do with it?

But hey, let's wait a few years and if then white people still need to sleep in doorways on high street then maybe it wasn't immigration but the failure of the British government to provide for their poor.

In think in total the taxes that the working immigrants payed more than outweighed the costs they produced so it may be kind of unfair to make them responsible for the poorness of some British people. (There are quite a lot of rich British people too and these could definitely pay much more taxes.)

But even then it was part of the compromise that Cameron made with the EU in february that there are no social benefits for jobless EU immigratns for the first four years. That sounds quite reasonable to me but British voters didn't deem it enough.

Without immigration we do not really need to talk about integration. But I guess the situation of the poor won't improve much because of that. The economy could even react negatively to the potential absence of cheap foreign labour and local politics never did much for the poor anyway and probably won't do much in the future (whethere it's Labour, UKIP, Lib Dem or Tories). I hope it becomes much better for everyone but that's how it looks now.

I really don't know what's best but I doubt Brexit makes things better. I think that on average it makes things somewhat worse because of the EU still being the better model for working together than a Britain which isolates itself. It's not better alone, it's worse alone. But that is only my opinion and against the will of the majority of the referendum workers. So while I'm sad about it, but by all means (to avoid chaos by having a vacuum and indecision) Britain must go forward now and do what it voted for.

Britain must get a working government and must negotiate with EU a compromise still giving them access to the market but retaining all the control they really think is important and they can negotiate. This is what they wanted and it basically is a membership light.

The fear is that if the compromise is not to the liking of the voters there will be even more turmoil and chaos could break out in Britain. The center is weak and the left and right wings are strong. A possible solution could be to work more together. Together we are stronger than alone, especially in times of chaos.
blotunga: I'm not sure how you think romanians look like, but most of us are white. You probably meant gypsies which emigrated in large numbers and I hope never come back.. we have enough of them already.
I've never been quite sure what to make of the Roma. I have nothing against them - the most notorious thing I've experienced about them is when I was studying in France and a group of Roma decided to settle in the car park in front of our halls. Suddenly, the entire place was filled with stacked up bin bags, kids were trying to break into rooms, and the Roma were breaking into the communal showers and leaving shit there (literally, shitting in the shower and leaving it there). They also have a reputation for settling on land that they're not permitted to (trespassing). We occasionally get Roma harassing people on the street for money and knocking on the door to beg as part of an organised scam.

But we had a Roma family living in the flat below us a few years ago - they were relatively fine, apart from occasionally rummaging through other people's rubbish. We still see them occasionally and we say hello. And where I originally come from, Roma occasionally settle in a nearby camping site, pay their way, earn their keep and do their thing.

So it's not a racial thing, I just wonder why crime is so prevalent among Roma. I suspect the fact that many are unable to find education or employment is a big part of it.
Brasas: ...Or to put it in other words: No one ever knows what the fuck is going to happen. The End of History is over. It never really began.
That's interesting. While it's absolutely true that noone is every completely sure I still think some times are more chaotic than others. I would take sociology as an argument that sometimes societies are much more stable than at other times. Education, free and neutral media, responsible politicians, small extreme fractions, a big center, a strong economy, peace, enough ressources, ... all this can influence the stability of the state and it seems that Britain has entered a period of instability where we even need to be careful what we say in order to not let it spirale down into chaos.

Is it because they face reality now better than before? I don't know.

My favorite version of history: All people are smart and they can think about the future and possible compromises to make it work for most people and they will work for and implement a solution that's good for most because this is the solution that will also be the best for them in the long run. So far, in history, it sometimes worked...
jamyskis: .
It's not a racial problem, it's an education problem. The large part being that they don't want to get one. The children are taught that it's ok to steal from non-roma people, it's ok to beg etc. And the cycle goes on...
KiNgBrAdLeY7: John Kerry has stated that Brexit can be rendered *invalid* or *reversed/undone*, but when asked further, refused to "reveal all diplomatic possibilities that can be sought in that specific context, before the time to use one comes".

Somehow, chills aside, I now really started seriously doubting whether democracy and referendums in present, can actually invalidate predetermined events and Bildeberg decisions, dating back more than one decade...
Ah John Kerry, he is phenomenally good at being out of touch. But he's not wrong as such and he's not saying anything that some people (in denial) are saying to each other.

Technically he's right. And technically Trump isn't the Republican nominee.

Technically the decision hasn't been officially made in either case. The UK referendum was advisory (i.e. non-binding) and the representatives who have the authority, have not yet declared to the appropriate EU bodies that the UK is leaving the EU.

But in practice, the damage has been done and the declarations made. The markets have already cut their losses and there is a demand from the other 27 EU countries that the UK leave, the democratic process respected. This is actually now more important for the other 27 EU states than the UK. Official declarations from almost all major European heads of government have been made, even the UK's.

Remember this isn't just about the UK now. It's also about the other 27 countries and stability in the EU.

Reversing this decision is technically possible, but not actually possible. And John Kerry is technically an idiot and practically out of touch. And should learn to shut up more. He's the US Secretary of State and it is *so* inappropriate for him to give his thoughts on this issue.

(in his defense, no more inappropriate than when Obama did it)
Post edited June 29, 2016 by Atlantico
blotunga: It's not a racial problem, it's an education problem. The large part being that they don't want to get one. The children are taught that it's ok to steal from non-roma people, it's ok to beg etc. And the cycle goes on...
Hmm. Honestly, I've barely read up on the topic, so I couldn't say. I know organised begging and theft is a major problem, so there's definitely some encouragement and teaching going on there, but how much of a role that actually plays I couldn't say.

I've heard that Roma are systematically excluded from schools in Eastern Europe, but there's a report here that suggests you may not be entirely wrong in your assertion that Roma themselves are reluctant to be educated. Will have to read this in more depth later on.
@Trilarion, jamyskis, and Brasas:

I see markets becoming more and more akin to gambling parlors, and a big part of this is that the monetary system has subverted rational behavior by way of moral hazard. People are inclined to take greater risk because money is relatively easy to come by during a boom, and they quickly forget that they're invariably followed by busts. But from the perspective of the monetary system itself, boom and bust are both profitable; in the first instance, the volume of monetary exchange increases; and in the latter, property, collateral, and equity are confiscated, and prices collapse, which is then exploited by means of being able to create liquidity out of thin air. And the net effect of this dubious arrangement is extreme economic disparity that causes suffering on a scale that is horrific.
Not sure, but it might fit in here and Britain might have taken the last available ticket out. Oh and yes the conspiracy theories have kicked another ball in the goal of truth about the final goals of the EU:

http://www.tvp.info/25939587/europejskie-superpanstwo-zobacz-oryginalny-dokument

http://s.tvp.pl/repository/attachment/d/5/1/d51736df11c6ad23221e46543829f1df1467008961919.pdf

I wonder why there is nothing in the German news about this.
Post edited June 29, 2016 by MaGo72
MaGo72: I wonder why there is nothing in the German news about this.
http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/eu-verteidigung-101.html
http://www.faz.net/agenturmeldungen/adhoc/brexitt-nach-referendum-eu-aussenbeauftragte-kuendigt-initiative-fuer-gipfel-an-14309482.html
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/eu-will-zusammenarbeit-bei-verteidigung-ausbauen-a-1099920.html
http://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article156523123/EU-und-Deutschland-treiben-Militaer-Union-voran.html

That took 30 seconds to google.

Or are we going to go through the usual "gleichgeschaltete Lügenpresse" claims again?
Post edited June 29, 2016 by jamyskis
Well if you read the document, you will see that it is not only about strengthening the military like the news articles suggest.

Basically the ministers call for a EU superstate complete with an EU army(including a EU-directed military chain of command, so no more "Parlamentsvorbehalt"), integrated border controls and common taxation, the creation of an European Asylum agency(guess so that some countries can't say no anymore) as well as the expansion of FRONTEX, the creation of the development of a European Monetary Fund(debt thumbscrews always work best) presided over by EU parliament.

National sovereignty was yesterday...
Post edited June 29, 2016 by MaGo72
And what is the news about that? Even back in school the long time goals for the European national integrity where obviously lying bare.
MaGo72: Well if you read the document, you will see that it is not only about strengthening the military like the news articles suggest.

Basically the ministers call for a EU superstate complete with an EU army(including a EU-directed military chain of command, so no more "Parlamentsvorbehalt"), integrated border controls and common taxation, the creation of an European Asylum agency(guess so that some countries can't say no anymore) as well as the expansion of FRONTEX, the creation of the development of a European Monetary Fund(debt thumbscrews always work best) presided over by EU parliament.

National sovereignty was yesterday...
I read it when the Daily Express posted these claims about a superstate. I don't know why they were treating it as some kind of "leaked" document when the German Foreign Office published it for all to see on the website.

For the record, I don't like Mogherini - I found her comments on Islamism disturbing and her past record is not exactly inspiring.

But the fundamental idea of what she is proposing has its merits. Unlike what the far-right Daily Express was claiming, there's no drive towards an "EU superstate" or "EU army", just greater cooperation in military matters and common defence. Given the way that member states have flapped around like penguins on a beach in reaction to terrorist attacks, I don't think such cooperation is necessarily a bad thing, but the jury's out on how this will pan out. Defence policy is one of those things that requires unanimous agreement from the member states, and just one veto can have the whole idea brought to its knees.

The full facts are here. That site explains it pretty well.

As for the Common European and Migration Policy, you'll note one interesting quote: "The EU must find a common answer to the rising number of migrants seeking to enter the EU for economic reasons...We will work to reduce push factors for irregular migration." Isn't that what you wanted? To limit economic migration from the Middle East and North Africa and make it easier to deport illegal immigrants?

The only thing that really concerns me in that article is the suggestion of fiscal union - aside from the sovereignty issues, you can't apply a one-size fits all policy to all member states, otherwise it'd end up being a freeloaders' dream.

Let's be clear: there will always be European MEPs and Commission members who come up with batshit federalist ideas like an EU army. Jean-Claude Juncker is one of them. Mogherini is another. These ideas are laughed out by the very people we elect to yay or nay these ideas - in the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union, but they're also seized upon by the far right as "proof" that there's some secret illuminati-esque conspiracy to oppress us all.