It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

M3troid: Yes, yes. That's exactly what i'm saying...

Hurray to DRM.
mrkgnao: OK. Fair enough. Some people would rather see this store be entirely DRM-free.
But your approach is valid too, as is Orkhepaj's above.
Sarcasm, bro.

I despise DRM, but at least (sigh) GWENT is not a false advertising.
high rated
mrkgnao: OK. Fair enough. Some people would rather see this store be entirely DRM-free.
But your approach is valid too, as is Orkhepaj's above.
M3troid: Sarcasm, bro.

I see. I don't think Orkhepaj was being sarcastic.

I still don't understand your point of view. You despise DRM and you don't want DRM games on GOG even if they are advertised as DRM, but for some reason you're OK with Gwent (which is a DRM and DRM-advertised game). I don't understand what's so special about Gwent that you're ok with it, but would not want any other DRM-advertised game here.
Post edited January 06, 2021 by mrkgnao
GreasyDogMeat: Been 'boycotting' them for 4 years now... last purchase was December of 2016. They've been making bad decisions for years. Anyone remember GOGmixes?
I remember. And my mix disapeared along with my list of games for it and my short reviews of why each one was a great game to get.

I'm sure the data is still in the database, just not accessible though...
Well, since I am boycotting GOG since April of 2020., when mandatory update to GOG Galaxy 2.0 One Client To Run Them All™ Abomination; I will of course continue to do so in 2021.
And recent developments with Epic deal and Devotion only strengthen my boycott resolve!
There are only 4 games in my wishlist, last true Good Old Games I want to buy, some of which are unavailable anywhere else, but when and if I will ever buy them on GOG; is a mystery!

And one additional note: For me it's not really a boycott, more like I abandoned GOG altogether, since they already abandoned true DRM-free GOG values. And, since I realistically, don't see GOG will turn around and return where they were and when they were; it's probably farewell, not goodbye!
Post edited January 07, 2021 by GlorFindel
M3troid: Sarcasm, bro.

mrkgnao: I don't understand what's so special about Gwent that you're ok with it, but would not want any other DRM-advertised game here.
Special? Nothing. To me GWENT is so irrelevant that i don't even care. Another free cash grab game like many others.

The real problem here is selling a DRM Free game that is not really DRM Free.
Post edited January 07, 2021 by M3troid
mrkgnao: I don't understand what's so special about Gwent that you're ok with it, but would not want any other DRM-advertised game here.
M3troid: Special? Nothing. To me GWENT is so irrelevant that i don't even care. Another free cash grab game like many others.

The real problem here is selling a DRM Free game that is not really DRM Free.
Oh, because Gwent is free! Now I understand. Thanks.
high rated
Ever since I created the thread about GOG going into bed with Epic, I've done a soft boycott.

I've trimmed down my wishlist to only 5 upcoming games.

GOG is the only store I've ever bought a game from, because of their stated policies and causes.
DRM-free, offline installers and stand-alone patches.
Since those are eroding fast, I see no reason to support them just because.

I've unliked them on any social media I still use (mainly FB for family).
I used to post their sales on forums and discord groups. No longer.
Since they "improved" the redeem page, I can no longer use it, so that has made it unsubscribing to them easier, not to mention not engaging in giveaway threads.

The way to get me back onboard GOG, is to fix your fucking broken shit and hold fast to your principles.
You can't challenge steam DRM by becoming them...
Market your actual selling points and create a good environment for your customers to enjoy the stay.
low rated
It's CD Projekt's own game. If they're going to distribute it, they might as well use the infrastructure they already have instead of forking 30% over to Steam. Gwent is profitable, so them making it is good for everyone who wants to continue using GOG. And it couldn't have been made DRM-free so GOG/CDP didn't deprive principled consumers of content. (For principled consumers, they made Thronebreaker and it didn't sell worth a damn.)

The case of Gwent is different from games which can be DRM-free but are DRMed elsewhere. By pledging to sell DRM-free games, GOG force themselves to fight for no DRM if they want to make sales and put pressure on rightsholders.

The only argument against Gwent here is that it dilutes the strength of the pressure to sell DRM-free GOG can exert on rightsholders. I don't think it holds water.
Post edited January 07, 2021 by Starmaker
low rated
I wonder how many of the boycotters will be boycotting all the other stores that don't sell Devotion?

This would be Steam especially, who would have the biggest impact on the developer.

GOG at least made some effort toward selling the game, but due to something unknown and only guessed about, changed their mind at the last minute. They would not have done that lightly I suspect, and not be ignorant of the flack they would cop, especially here in their forum. The fact they tolerate threads such as this one shows how considerate they are really ... try doing the same at Steam or most other places.
high rated
XYCat: but regarding a particularity of ye olde most favourite videogame and the differences between Steam and GOG. GOG never really had Devotion in the catalogue, never sold the game, while Steam sold it for a bit and then pulled it from the store without anyone of you giving a fuck, loooong before GOG and long before you even knew the game existed. Some HIGHLY technical users would probably blame government of Switzerland being in control of Steam and GOG together or something lol :D (pls lol CH? seriously)
I can only speak for myself and I've said it before in other threads. But, to be clear, I don't personally buy games from Steam and don't really care what goes on there. I am effectively boycotting them already, because they sell DRMed games, which I am opposed to.

Not everyone uses Steam. I am not a hypocrite in botcotting GOG over Devotion (among many other things).

XYCat: I'm not creating a new thread about how I hate GOG and love artificial outrage as my hobby every day. So no, I'm not one of those smug bad haters.
What qualifies it as 'artificial outrage'? The fact that you don't share it?

SomeGuy8504: What I was trying to say is that the big ticket items on your list of reasons to boycott GOG seem like they fall under the "intellectual/ideological" category, meaning that the GOG service, while flawed, is actually still a service you personally would want to use. Your post even sounds as though you would love to use GOG if they at least compromised a little bit and just fixed one of your issues. To me, that sounds as though you have to FORCE yourself to boycott GOG even though you probably still want to use their service.

A NATURAL boycott would have been one where GOG got so awful service-wise that you just stopped using them naturally, not because you made the conscious decision to stop using them. You wouldn't even have gotten to the conclusion that GOG was bad, there would have been barely any thought and no effort involved. You'd just feel bad thinking about buying from GOG as opposed to another service, so you just naturally boycotted GOG without even thinking about it.
I don't hate GOG and I don't want to see it shut down. Until fairly recently, I was a staunch supporter of GOG, to the extent that I was prepared to pay full price for games and ignore sales, to help support them. There are many games available on GOG DRM-free that I can't get anywhere else, which I would like to play. So, yes, I would like to keep using the store in future, but I also strongly dislike the direction they are going in and would like to see things change/improve.
Post edited January 07, 2021 by Time4Tea
high rated
Grahor: Of course. But gog was (among other ways) growing on the word of mouth, so to say. In the past, I often said to people "I'd rather buy it on GOG, I kind of feel they deserve some support from my money. Check it out." Now it's just not going to happen, and I think I'm not the only one here.

Also, I think a noticeable number of people forced themselves to use GOG. No DRM policy; if the game is on gog, it can be, alternatively, just downloaded. Some people had to force themselves to pay for the game on GOG instead. Now they will relapse into not paying.
SomeGuy8504: That's actually a really good point. You are right, for many users GOG was already something they had to force themselves to use, so any problem at all is enough for them to relapse into their preferred service like Steam. In that case, a 'forced' boycott wouldn't take much force at all and in some ways even be a relief for those users.
Yes. I am a Linux user. So, my word, Steam would be far more convenient for me to use than GOG. Steam has much better support for Linux. Their client works on it and they even provide their own version of Wine that is tuned for every game. Wouldn't I love GOG to have something like that?

On GOG, I have to set up Wine myself for Windows games, which admittedly usually works just fine, but can be a pain on occasion. Still, it's less convenient than Steam for sure, but I put up with it because I hate DRM.

wolfsite: Just a heads up to everyone to keep it civil and not to dive into political discussion as to not get the thread locked.
I agree. This thread is not about Devotion, there is another thread for that. This thread is about boycotting GOG, whether you are or not and why. Let's keep it on-topic.
Post edited January 07, 2021 by Time4Tea
high rated
Timboli: I wonder how many of the boycotters will be boycotting all the other stores that don't sell Devotion?

This would be Steam especially, who would have the biggest impact on the developer.

GOG at least made some effort toward selling the game, but due to something unknown and only guessed about, changed their mind at the last minute. They would not have done that lightly I suspect, and not be ignorant of the flack they would cop, especially here in their forum. The fact they tolerate threads such as this one shows how considerate they are really ... try doing the same at Steam or most other places.
You seem to be under the impression that this thread is about Devotion. It's not.

It's --- as written in the title --- about boycotting GOG in 2021, for whatever reasons. The OP lists six reasons that are relevant to him; there are maybe more that are relevant to others.

I can say that for myself, of the six reasons listed by the OP, Devotion would be #5 or #6.
high rated
Timboli: I wonder how many of the boycotters will be boycotting all the other stores that don't sell Devotion?

If you read their posts, many of the people who are boycotting have said they also don't use Steam, because they don't like DRM. I for one don't buy from stores that sell DRM.

Incidentally, I just updated the list on post one up to post #252.
high rated
Starmaker: It's CD Projekt's own game. If they're going to distribute it, they might as well use the infrastructure they already have instead of forking 30% over to Steam. Gwent is profitable, so them making it is good for everyone who wants to continue using GOG. And it couldn't have been made DRM-free so GOG/CDP didn't deprive principled consumers of content. (For principled consumers, they made Thronebreaker and it didn't sell worth a damn.)

The case of Gwent is different from games which can be DRM-free but are DRMed elsewhere. By pledging to sell DRM-free games, GOG force themselves to fight for no DRM if they want to make sales and put pressure on rightsholders.

The only argument against Gwent here is that it dilutes the strength of the pressure to sell DRM-free GOG can exert on rightsholders. I don't think it holds water.
I guess we'll have to disagree.

I don't think that an angel came down from heaven and forced CDP to produce a game with microtransactions, so using it as a justification for then selling it on GOG is cyclical logic.

Similarly, I don't think that an angel came down from heaven and forced them to add partial DRM on CP2077, or to sell DRM games on their client.

These were valid business decisions and I, as a long-standing customer, choose to react to these business decisions in my own way.

And, I must admit, that mentioning GOG and "pledging to sell DRM-free games" in the same sentence made me laugh. I don't think we use the same definition of the verb "pledge".
Post edited January 07, 2021 by mrkgnao
low rated
mrkgnao: I don't think that an angel came down from heaven and forced CDP to produce a game with microtransactions, so using it as a justification for then selling it on GOG is cyclical logic.
Just a few thoughts:

They are not "selling" Gwent, it's F2P. Anyone can play it without ever spending money. I don't know if you can get anywhere without buying "kegs" though, or if buying them is just a shortcut to build your deck.

After Witcher 3 CDPR were begged by the fans to make a stand-alone game out of Gwent - it made sense, so they did it.

I'm not interested in MP, and I detest MTX, but I also have no ideas how else they could have implemented it. The nature of the game (deck building) calls for tying it to an account (with leads to DRM), and I can't think of a solution making it profitable (or at least cost-neutral) other than MTX. I don't think something like monthly fees would work for a game like that.

The game fits better in app stores and not at all in GOG, on the other hand it'd be weird if they didn't have a game here that is there own product. *shrug*.

It's a strange situation.
Post edited January 07, 2021 by toxicTom