It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
nightcraw1er.488: Some good ideas there. I don’t think itch is a good fit though, they are swamped by trash, don’t even bother looking there, and the last thing needed is another spyware client.

What about THQNordic?
Time4Tea: Yes, some good suggestions. I was actually thinking about THQ Nordic. Maybe even Larian? Those are two fairly big and growing publishers that seem to be stalwart believers in DRM-free.
Not really.

The German parts of THQ(Nordic), like Koch Media have a proven track record of f*king customers over and over again and are staunch supporters of greed and bleeding their customers dry, if nobody's looking. Koch Media was also responsible for the bait-and-switch shenaningans of Metro Exodus and for that Epic exclusive deal.

Otherwise, it would not be a bad idea to let THQ take over, if they keep providing offline, standalone installers. Most of their catalogue is already present here.

Larian does not have the manpower for developing their games *and* running GOG, they're even nearly overwhelmed with their current project, Baldurs Gate 3.
Post edited May 16, 2021 by coffeecup
low rated
coffeecup: Not really.

The German parts of THQ(Nordic), like Koch Media have a proven track record of f*king customers over and over again and are staunch supporters of greed and bleeding their customers dry, if nobody's looking. Koch Media was also responsible for the bait-and-switch shenaningans of Metro Exodus and for that Epic exclusive deal.

Otherwise, it would not be a bad idea to let THQ take over, if they keep providing offline, standalone installers. Most of their catalogue is already present here.

Larian does not have the manpower for developing their games *and* running GOG, they're even nearly overwhelmed with their current project, Baldurs Gate 3.
Ok, I wasn't aware about that with THQ Nordic. Although, the way CDPR seem to be going, it's hard to imagine THQ would be much worse.

Re. Larian: I am assuming if they (or anyone else) were to buy GOG, they wouldn't simply lay off all GOG's staff and try to stretch their own manpower to run the store. Typically, staff are retained when a business is acquired.
high rated
Guys, don't take this the wrong way but... you're kinda sounding delusional here. I honestly have no idea where the idea even comes from, but there is absolutely no indication of nor reason for CDP selling GOG, nor is it realistic for some studio to just buy themselves a store. The whole discussion is only doing wonders for painting the thread as the kind of pants-on-head insanity some trolls were already calling it.
fronzelneekburm: HANS, GET ZE FLAMMENWERFER!
Breja: Mack wants the what?!
Must be a flame tower.

Oops ,i mean, a lame flower.
Post edited May 16, 2021 by M3troid
low rated
Breja: Guys, don't take this the wrong way but... you're kinda sounding delusional here.
The whole changing avatars to winnie the pooh and constantly viewing everything as a Chinese conspiracy wasn't a dead giveaway?
low rated
Time4Tea: The speculation around CDPR possibly selling GOG is interesting.
Not really it gives this whole thread a shady touch imho.

Time4Tea: I don't really think CDPR selling GOG is very likely though. For the simple reason that, even if GOG is not a hugely profitable store, it saves CDPR having to pay a 30% cut to another store, if people buy CDPR games here. So, it is probably worth them keeping it around, just for that reason.
There is no indication for selling it off. It is the same unrealistic fear portrayed in these whishlists https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/do_not_get_bought_by_epic_games and https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/do_not_get_bought_by_ea

They are dumping a lot of money and resource into their client development. Even if thats not the development a lot of customers want to see, they wouldnt invest that much if they planed to sell it off.

Breja: Guys, don't take this the wrong way but... you're kinda sounding delusional here. I honestly have no idea where the idea even comes from, but there is absolutely no indication of nor reason for CDP selling GOG, nor is it realistic for some studio to just buy themselves a store. The whole discussion is only doing wonders for painting the thread as the kind of pants-on-head insanity some trolls were already calling it.
This. This. This.

Guys for real, I like the idea of protesting against issues GOG obviously has and really would need some fixing. But CDPR selling off GOG isn't even remotly on the picture. It smeels like some conspiracy has taken over an beforehand good thread, talking about REAL issues.

Crosmando: The whole changing avatars to winnie the pooh and constantly viewing everything as a Chinese conspiracy wasn't a dead giveaway?
I had my avatar changed to this lovely cartoon character too, just to show openly my issues I have with the Devotion situation. But this is water under the bridge, the dev has its own store now where you can buy it DRM-free. I doubt they have any interest whatsoever to sell their product ever on GOG again after they got screwed over.
low rated
Breja:
The_Puppet94:
I agree that CDPR selling GOG is unlikely (which I said a few posts ago) and I'm not trying to suggest otherwise. Still, businesses get sold all the time for various reasons and I don't really see the harm in speculating about what might happen in that situation.

But, I also agree with you that it is taking the thread off-topic and we shouldn't go too much further down that rabbit hole.
Post edited May 16, 2021 by Time4Tea
Breja: Guys, don't take this the wrong way but... you're kinda sounding delusional here. I honestly have no idea where the idea even comes from, but there is absolutely no indication of nor reason for CDP selling GOG, nor is it realistic for some studio to just buy themselves a store. The whole discussion is only doing wonders for painting the thread as the kind of pants-on-head insanity some trolls were already calling it.
I got it from here: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/boycotting_gog_2021/post2352 and was also pointing out (with evidence) that CDP (management) does not appear to plan anything of the sort. However I was also pointing out the possibility of that not necessarily being the only relevant factor in such a thing. I dont see anything 'delusional' about what I said here. Far as I can tell it is realistic. Companies get sold and/or separated all the time. Has happened "recently" with several notable companies in Germany like EON(IIRC?) and Siemens. Considering the recent major changes visible in the CDP stock price I also do believe the odds of that happening for CDP now are much higher than they were (for example) a year ago.

Time4Tea: I don't really think CDPR selling GOG is very likely though. For the simple reason that, even if GOG is not a hugely profitable store, it saves CDPR having to pay a 30% cut to another store, if people buy CDPR games here. So, it is probably worth them keeping it around, just for that reason.
The_Puppet94: There is no indication for selling it off. It is the same unrealistic fear portrayed in these whishlists https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/do_not_get_bought_by_epic_games and https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/do_not_get_bought_by_ea

They are dumping a lot of money and resource into their client development. Even if thats not the development a lot of customers want to see, they wouldnt invest that much if they planed to sell it off.
None of that says anything about someone big becoming a major shareholder. And that does have an indication - the low share price. I just looked at EA numbers https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/EA/financials?p=EA and compared them with CDP ones: https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/7CD.F/financials?p=7CD.F . Note that the CDP numbers are in PLN but the site doesnt say that. While I am not sure the numbers are correct (such sites dont always have correct numbers) etc - based on this quick look I got the impression that CDP looks rather better per investment cost than EA. And EA has mostly institutional shareholders. So based on this evidence I do believe 'big institutional' major shareholder for CDP is a realistic possibility. And this may have major consequences on this sub discussion which obviously would also have major consequences for this topic.

Not that I do want to overly derail this topic with tangential discussion - I do think the "demonization" of this IMO realistic possibility by various posters here was out of line.
Post edited May 16, 2021 by Zrevnur
low rated
Time4Tea: The speculation around CDPR possibly selling GOG is interesting. It seems to me that if the heads running CDPR don't really believe in the value of DRM-free themselves, then it might be better for GOG if they were to sell to someone who does.
I'm sorry to ask, and I don't suggest anything bad here, but are you ACTUALLY reading each and every new post?
If so then it's quite interesting...

Time4Tea: But then, who would be the potential buyers?
Plenty of examples around.
Could be some chinese company, like Tencent, to create already legitimized "european outpost".
Or to "buy and destroy" to burn competition (plenty of such examples in history).

Right. It's certainly convenient to have a shadow branch to launder your money through not publicly stating what cut goes where (I don't see any mention anywhere publicly what EXACT cut GOG gets for specificly CDPR games) and thus probably some tax evasion.

coffeecup: Another candidate would be IGN in the umbrella of Humble Bundle. A fusion of Humble Bundle and GOG would be potentially a reignition off the former glory of HB. The only downside is that they would have to re-evaluate their DRM strategy after the acquisition of GOG.
With the amount of shady crap HB pulled post-IGN-aquisition the HB is already a lost cause.
So, ironically, you are correct - they would be a good fit - a bad reputation company (IGN) taking over "rapidly loosing reputation" company (GOG) to turn it into yet another monetization source (many people don't notice that but on HB it's frequent that when you get a game in "Choice"/Monthly it gets a SPECIAL [made specificly for that reason and JUST before the bundle surfaced - yes I checked it - there's plenty of clues for those games in SteamDB with new "crippled" packages surfacing right before new monthly bundle drops] version stripped from any DLC - example being Control - that of course ripps off customers majorly and goes after their wallets HARD).

coffeecup: itch.io and GOG also would make a good fit (but they really should work on their confusing launcher and website). itch.io would profit from the current catalogue and keeping the money in their store instead of being a springboard for Steam and other platforms.
coffeecup: Otherwise, it would not be a bad idea to let THQ take over, if they keep providing offline, standalone installers. Most of their catalogue is already present here.
I'm sorry but that's not how it works. If you sell the platform you don't also sell licenses along with it.
Those would have to be renegotiated with the new owner so there would be no "oh we bought a pack of IPs" trope.

Also, let's leave itch alone, *relatively* pure shall we?

nightcraw1er.488: TBH, anyone who actually fixes all the issues with the website, downloads etc. would be good at this point even if they insist on keeping the awful client and client ecosystem going.
How about NO?
IF the platform would change hands I personally wish for the Galaxy to be disbanded (for many legit reasons).

coffeecup: Another candidate would be IGN in the umbrella of Humble Bundle.
fronzelneekburm: HANS, GET ZE FLAMMENWERFER!
Where's this quote from?

Not to point fingers anywhere but for some people any reason is good for fueling an ongoing fire.

Breja: Guys, don't take this the wrong way but... you're kinda sounding delusional here.
Crosmando: The whole changing avatars to winnie the pooh and constantly viewing everything as a Chinese conspiracy wasn't a dead giveaway?
But this thread is about other things than D game too.
So it's not like people started with this avatar trope BECAUSE of this thread.

The_Puppet94: Guys for real, I like the idea of protesting against issues GOG obviously has and really would need some fixing. But CDPR selling off GOG isn't even remotly on the picture. It smeels like some conspiracy has taken over an beforehand good thread, talking about REAL issues.
Well it's just yet another theory that has non-zero possibility with some people ignoring how low it can possibly be.
Is it possible? A definite YES would be a correct answer.
But is it likely any time soon?
I don't know as personally I haven't seen any evidence in the wild.

Zrevnur: I got it from here: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/boycotting_gog_2021/post2352 and was also pointing out (with evidence) that CDP (management) does not appear to plan anything of the sort. However I was also pointing out the possibility of that not necessarily being the only relevant factor in such a thing.
For the record:
1.I don't think I was the first person talking about the possibility in this rather long thread. (so don't blame this on me)
2.I very evidently stated "it would possibly be the best" and not "oh they may branch off SOON*TM".
So personally I am only responsible for the "would it be good for them?" part of the discussion and any resulting "timing theories" have NOTHING to do with me ;)
low rated
I don't think the sale of GOG would ever be a thing in all honesty. I get why your ideas pop out from, but I don't think it's realistic. The effort they seem to be making to become 'like steam' wouldn't match up with a sale. Most niche stores tend to wind down in scale before a sale, not the other way around. Even if that does mean seemingly disregarding a connection to your consumer or product, but hey worse thing have happened.
low rated
Linko64: I don't think the sale of GOG would ever be a thing in all honesty. I get why your ideas pop out from, but I don't think it's realistic. The effort they seem to be making to become 'like steam' wouldn't match up with a sale. Most niche stores tend to wind down in scale before a sale, not the other way around. Even if that does mean seemingly disregarding a connection to your consumer or product, but hey worse thing have happened.
Why would it not? Sometimes companies make huge efforts to make it seem like the company is worth more than it is before a sale to maximise the profit. They wouldn’t let staff know. Not saying this is what is happening of course.
low rated
Linko64: I don't think the sale of GOG would ever be a thing in all honesty. I get why your ideas pop out from, but I don't think it's realistic. The effort they seem to be making to become 'like steam' wouldn't match up with a sale. Most niche stores tend to wind down in scale before a sale, not the other way around. Even if that does mean seemingly disregarding a connection to your consumer or product, but hey worse thing have happened.
nightcraw1er.488: Why would it not? Sometimes companies make huge efforts to make it seem like the company is worth more than it is before a sale to maximise the profit. They wouldn’t let staff know. Not saying this is what is happening of course.
I just don't see it as a likely thing to happen, but then again STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED
low rated
so any change from gog due to this boycott?
Time4Tea: The speculation around CDPR possibly selling GOG is interesting. It seems to me that if the heads running CDPR don't really believe in the value of DRM-free themselves, then it might be better for GOG if they were to sell to someone who does. But then, who would be the potential buyers?
coffeecup: Ziggurat Interactive would make the best fit overtaking GOG. They also have begun re-publishing old games, what GOG now really does not do anymore.

Another candidate would be IGN in the umbrella of Humble Bundle. A fusion of Humble Bundle and GOG would be potentially a reignition off the former glory of HB. The only downside is that they would have to re-evaluate their DRM strategy after the acquisition of GOG.

itch.io and GOG also would make a good fit (but they really should work on their confusing launcher and website). itch.io would profit from the current catalogue and keeping the money in their store instead of being a springboard for Steam and other platforms.

ShinyLoot also would have been a great candidate, if they would still exist, they had a very similar philosophy to the original GOG.
not true gog still brings out old game
Post edited May 20, 2021 by Orkhepaj
low rated
nightcraw1er.488: Why would it not? Sometimes companies make huge efforts to make it seem like the company is worth more than it is before a sale to maximise the profit. They wouldn’t let staff know. Not saying this is what is happening of course.
Linko64: I just don't see it as a likely thing to happen, but then again STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED
Three times with one in the works!! (netflix series if thats too obscure).
Orkhepaj: so any change from gog due to this boycott?
Well, they changed the main website page to make it look even more ugly, and added [tag] to forum posts. Other than that you would need to ask on their new platforms such as twitch.
Post edited May 20, 2021 by nightcraw1er.488
Linko64: I just don't see it as a likely thing to happen, but then again STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED
nightcraw1er.488: Three times with one in the works!! (netflix series if thats too obscure).
Orkhepaj: so any change from gog due to this boycott?
nightcraw1er.488: Well, they changed the main website page to make it look even more ugly, and added [tag] to forum posts. Other than that you would need to ask on their new platforms such as twitch.
Oh I know it, I just wish they left it as a one and done :P