It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

oldschool: The part that is most amusing is anyone that does not totally agree with "Boycotting GOG" gets downvoted. Pathetic.
I'm two months in my boycott of Gog with no intention of going back.
I've lost 7 rep points in 24 hours, just by posting in this thread.
Is that amusing too?
Breja: I really do not for the life of me understand why people start identifying like this with coporate entities these days, but I'm seeing a lot of it. It's like some bizzare cyberpunk dystopia version of pre World War I feverish patriotism, with flags replaced by logos.
As far as video games go, DRM or not, your downloads are tied to one website, so that's bound to add to the "corporate-tribe" thing. Some people will be afraid to lose access to their purchases and feel compelled to "defend" the store and declare their "loyalty" to it. And yes, that means attacking critics, who are apparently bad, dangerous people.

Edit: Yep, 2 more points lost with this message. Having fun, shitbirds?
Edit 2: it's now 5 points.
Post edited February 13, 2021 by Dalswyn
Time4Tea: Ok, so you're happy to give them a green light to do whatever they want then? You've basically just declared there is nothing they could possibly ever do that would make your support for them waver.

Lucky them, to have a customer like you!
oldschool: I guess they are lucky to have a loyal customer (s) like me. If you would have bothered to read my reply I agreed with the OP. Boycotting an entire site seems a little drastic.
It might seem strange, but I don't think boycotting GOG would mean you have to stop 'supporting' them. I like GOG and what they (supposedly) stand for. The reason I am boycotting is not because I want them to fail, but to succeed. I want them to be better and I personally don't believe that continuing to water down their DRM-free principles is going to ultimately lead to them being successful. If they move ever further towards tolerating DRM, then they will lose their one and only remaining unique selling point and they will then have to duke it out with Steam/Epic on their own turf, competing based on price and features alone. That is a battle I believe they will lose.

Imo, their only real hope is to change course now (before it is too late) and double down on what made them successful in the first place, which is a zero-tolerance attitude towards DRM. If you care about GOG and want to support them, join the boycott (it is temporary) and insist that they stay true to their original promise of 100% DRM-free game store, rather than continuing down the slippery slope they are on of turning into a sell-out corporate sham.
low rated
Breja: I'm happy to ignore the present sale for example in favor of buying some comics
Hell yeah, I went all physical again and spent a bunch of cash on some DVDs and Vinyls.

And you know what the best thing is? Unlike the trash I buy here, I can actually resell that stuff if I should ever grow tired of it!

:D

Breja: I really do not for the life of me understand why people start identifying like this with coporate entities these days
I do understand people's affection for OldGog to some extent. They did their damndest to NOT come across as just another corporate entity. They had (what seemed like) a small team that were your pals and buddies and you'd know them all by name and they'd hang out with you on the forums and crack jokes and you'd have a great time together.

Nowadays it seems that the staff is actively at war with the userbase.
Dalswyn: Edit: Yep, 2 more points lost with this message. Having fun, shitbirds?
If you really care for these numbers, you should only post in threads that are positive towards GOG (and say GOG is the best), because otherwise you will lose more points. What do think a good GOG user will do, if he/she/it reads bad stuff about their savior?
I for one pity these downvoting idiots and they make me laugh. Just think about it. People reading taking their time to look for posts from specific users and downvoting them. I can think of better things to do with my time.
Breja: I really do not for the life of me understand why people start identifying like this with coporate entities these days
fronzelneekburm: I do understand people's affection for OldGog to some extent. They did their damndest to NOT come across as just another corporate entity. They had (what seemed like) a small team that were your pals and buddies and you'd know them all by name and they'd hang out with you on the forums and crack jokes and you'd have a great time together.

This.
john_hatcher: If you really care for these numbers, you should only post in threads that are positive towards GOG (and say GOG is the best), because otherwise you will lose more points. What do think a good GOG user will do, if he/she/it reads bad stuff about their savior?
I for one pity these downvoting idiots and they make me laugh. Just think about it. People reading taking their time to look for posts from specific users and downvoting them. I can think of better things to do with my time.
Won't help. The "other camp" is doing exactly the same ;) The only sane thing to do is to not care about those numbers.
low rated
john_hatcher: If you really care for these numbers, you should only post in threads that are positive towards GOG (and say GOG is the best), because otherwise you will lose more points. What do think a good GOG user will do, if he/she/it reads bad stuff about their savior?
acute71: Won't help. The "other camp" is doing exactly the same ;) The only sane thing to do is to not care about those numbers.
Sorry, if that came over differently, but I wanted to say exactly what you just did. Ignore this stupid number, because it does not mean anything.
Breja: I'm happy to ignore the present sale for example in favor of buying some comics
fronzelneekburm: Hell yeah, I went all physical again and spent a bunch of cash on some DVDs and Vinyls.

And you know what the best thing is? Unlike the trash I buy here, I can actually resell that stuff if I should ever grow tired of it!

:D

fronzelneekburm: I do understand people's affection for OldGog to some extent. They did their damndest to NOT come across as just another corporate entity. They had (what seemed like) a small team that were your pals and buddies and you'd know them all by name and they'd hang out with you on the forums and crack jokes and you'd have a great time together.

I can see it, I have been purchasing a hell of a lot more physical media in the last few months. I also know quite a few people that have been doing the same instead of making purchases here. Really is a headscratcher to think that GOG will not come out of this unscathed one way or another.

Trust has been eroding for years around here and they either do not see it or just do not care. Likewise the people still super gung-ho are stuck in the past with thoughts of how GOG used to be or arrived sometime after things started to fall apart. Some might even be addicted to need that daily dopamine fix and make purchases of games that they will never play due to their ever expanding backlog of titles.

As I have stated before, the community back then was an added reason to want to support GOG, at least for me. Management decisions over the years have turned a warm and friendly store front into something that is so very cold and corporate that it isn't even funny. I personally do not see things changing around here and there is indication that things can only get worse here on out... While it is disheartening to see, the writing was on the wall for years already.

They could turn things around by getting someone to liaison between the community and GOG, but I do not see that happening. They are far too set in their ways and all they care about anymore in how much cash is in their pockets, only fixing things when it is apparent that it will hurt their bottom line if something is left as is.

Sometimes I wish that they would just wake up and smell the hypocrisy as many statements that they have made in the past have aged as well as ham left in a freezer for 10+ years. However that hope will amount to nothing in the long run anyway as there just aren't enough people to make GOG scramble to make any changes.
Post edited February 13, 2021 by EnforcerSunWoo
high rated
For whatever it's worth: I've not been compelled to buy anything from GOG for a few years, now (primarily lack of funds, but also lack of time for gaming in general, which is sad). However, I've almost finished backing up my GOG library, and once that's done, I do not intend to look at the site again, much less give them any more of my money.

Bending over for the CCP after multiple years of idiocy is the last straw.

Now, I'm not one to tell people what they should or should not do with either their time or their money, but what I will say is this: all the people, in this thread and others, who are planning to carry on shopping here do not get to bitch, whine, or complain that things aren't getting any better. You are the reasons why things aren't getting any better.

The next time GOG mess up? Just smile and spend, peeps. When GOG becomes 100% DRM'd? Just smile and spend peeps. When Xinnie the Pooh decides a game you actually care about shouldn't get a release? Just smile and spend, peeps.

But hey, whatever makes you happy, I guess.

Peace out.
high rated
1/ I have had a Gog account for over a decade. Those downvoting me and the other posters in this thread have probably come here a couple of years later, be they Gog fanboys or stooges for the CCP (in which case, I'll repeat myself: ♫ Fuck You Xi Jinping ♪).
Also, my library here is probably larger than theirs. (so much for you, fanboyos!)

2/ For a variety of reasons, Gog has alienated many people over the years (the fake shutdown of 2010, the end of the focus on "old" games, all the crap around Galaxy, , the Devotion debacle... you name it).
I have -never- insulted or downvoted those who then criticized Gog. Matter of fact, I had no business to do so. That adds to the irony.

3/ Between my previous post and this one, I lost 5 reputation points.
With this one, I lost [placeholder pending an edit :) ]
Dalswyn: 1/ I have had a Gog account for over a decade. Those downvoting me and the other posters in this thread have probably come here a couple of years later, be they Gog fanboys or stooges for the CCP (in which case, I'll repeat myself: ♫ Fuck You Xi Jinping ♪).
Also, my library here is probably larger than theirs. (so much for you, fanboyos!)

2/ For a variety of reasons, Gog has alienated many people over the years (the fake shutdown of 2010, the end of the focus on "old" games, all the crap around Galaxy, , the Devotion debacle... you name it).
I have -never- insulted or downvoted those who then criticized Gog. Matter of fact, I had no business to do so. That adds to the irony.

3/ Between my previous post and this one, I lost 5 reputation points.
With this one, I lost [placeholder pending an edit :) ]
I think the reputation system is flawed anyways, controversial topics will always prompt some of either side to jump in and missuse the system to downvote the other site. Doesn't contribute much to the topic if you just klick a vote button. Better to contribute with actual messages imo so we can all talk about it :)

I think "cults" around stores are outlandish. I don't want to hype a store, I want to play a game (preferably a good one).
low rated
I give up. I am done.
Post edited February 14, 2021 by Fender_178
granny: For whatever it's worth: I've not been compelled to buy anything from GOG for a few years, now (primarily lack of funds, but also lack of time for gaming in general, which is sad). However, I've almost finished backing up my GOG library, and once that's done, I do not intend to look at the site again, much less give them any more of my money.

Bending over for the CCP after multiple years of idiocy is the last straw.

Now, I'm not one to tell people what they should or should not do with either their time or their money, but what I will say is this: all the people, in this thread and others, who are planning to carry on shopping here do not get to bitch, whine, or complain that things aren't getting any better. You are the reasons why things aren't getting any better.

The next time GOG mess up? Just smile and spend, peeps. When GOG becomes 100% DRM'd? Just smile and spend peeps. When Xinnie the Pooh decides a game you actually care about shouldn't get a release? Just smile and spend, peeps.

But hey, whatever makes you happy, I guess.

Peace out.
Couldn't of said it better myself. Of course this got downvoted by "many gamers", but I think we can all expect that at this point...
high rated
EnforcerSunWoo: I can see it, I have been purchasing a hell of a lot more physical media in the last few months. I also know quite a few people that have been doing the same instead of making purchases here. Really is a headscratcher to think that GOG will not come out of this unscathed one way or another.
Heh, funnily I went and bought physical games few days ago too. Proper good old games even, well, some of them should be pretty good. Supported the local game shop that sells retro games and gear. Even got some stickers and magnets as freebies (GOG has been lately very skimpy with extras games come with), so felt like actually like valued customer even though the freebies were just silly stickers and magnets.
Attachments:
WeirdoGeek: Couldn't of said it better myself.
Couldn't HAVE.

Sorry, but replacing have with of is a pet peeve of mine.

Leevi: Heh, funnily I went and bought physical games few days ago too. Proper good old games even, well, some of them should be pretty good. Supported the local game shop that sells retro games and gear. Even got some stickers and magnets as freebies (GOG has been lately very skimpy with extras games come with), so felt like actually like valued customer even though the freebies were just silly stickers and magnets.
I just found a steelbox of The Dwarves in bargain bin a couple weeks back. With a separate soundtrack disk. In a freakin bargain bin. For something like 3$. No Steam account required either. Crazy.
Post edited February 14, 2021 by Breja