It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Linko64: I mean the article is well put together, but not sure how they think GOG is a ''major European publisher'', it takes like a google search to find that out
Lifthrasil: I guess there is an ubiquitous confusion between GOG and CDPR and also between the terms 'Publisher', 'Store' and 'Developer'. Not that those terms are difficult, but I have often seen the claim, that GOG is, for example, a developer.
I'd put it down to a number of things -

Lack of effective branding from GOG's side
Being too happy to cuddle up to Red, causing confusion to more 'casual' users
General not knowing of GOG or their hook

also people don't know how to google :P
Linko64: not sure how they think GOG is a ''major European publisher''
That caught my eye as well. Someone at gog is probably busting a nut over being called that.

Linko64: the article is well put together
There's the Gell Mann amnesia effect in action, people!

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.
In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”

On that note, the following sentence also raised an eyebrow for me:
A few years ago, Ubisoft made a much smaller spinoff game based on Chinese history called Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China, but it was not released in the country.
I can't 100% confirm that it's not locked in China, but I have a Chinese Ubi account and said game *did* somehow end up in my library. So take that particular piece of info with a grain of salt.
Strictly, GOG is partially a publisher as well. They own the rights/licenses of some games and they not only sell them, but publish them.

But well, obviouslly it is not the norm. I do not think they were refering to it when they used the term "publisher"
Linko64: not sure how they think GOG is a ''major European publisher''
fronzelneekburm: That caught my eye as well. Someone at gog is probably busting a nut over being called that.

Linko64: the article is well put together
fronzelneekburm: There's the Gell Mann amnesia effect in action, people!

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.
In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”

On that note, the following sentence also raised an eyebrow for me:

A few years ago, Ubisoft made a much smaller spinoff game based on Chinese history called Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China, but it was not released in the country.
fronzelneekburm: I can't 100% confirm that it's not locked in China, but I have a Chinese Ubi account and said game *did* somehow end up in my library. So take that particular piece of info with a grain of salt.
Well put together and good doesn't equal the same thing ;)

See most Netflix orginal series for examples!
high rated
B1tF1ghter: ...Valve does not ENFORCE or FORCE the use of ANY DRM, even the few casual ones developed by themselves, therefore calling them "pro DRM" would be a lie...
I'm amazed anyone can actually hold this viewpoint. Valve were one of the first to produce an "activate-on-install" system - which has been pretty much the default for anything on Steam. Out of 46,419 games available (according to SteamSpy at time of posting) only about 3,030
(according to this list) are DRM-free - just 6.5%.

And while it may now be possible to run Half-Life 2 DRM free (via the undocumented -hushsteam parameter - at least Valve aren't willing to say what it does) that information wasn't available when it launched. If you wanted HL2 prior to this, you had to sign up to Steam and its DRM. That's not being "DRM-agnostic" - and frankly, providing a command-line option buried in a webpage is not much different from a developer relying on disc-checks saying "Oh, try the GameCopyWorld version of the exe".
SnowSlinger: I too decided not to spend any money on GOG...I am a Galaxy fan, and there has not been any significant updates or development for far too long...GOG has promised integrations with the major stores. The integrations do not function properly, and probably never will...
It would be truly ironic, given the initial purposes of this thread, if it became over-run with pro-Galaxy posters boycotting for separate (though doubtless still valid) reasons.
Post edited July 19, 2021 by AstralWanderer
I thought I'd keep a record of GOG games I would definitely have bought, were it not for my boycott.

GAMES NOT BOUGHT ON GOG IN 2021
(1) 18/1/21: Dread Nautical - $10
(2) 18/1/21: Operencia: The Stolen Sun - $15
(3) 29/1/21: Way of the Samurai 3 Deluxe - $2.5
(4) 29/1/21: Way of the Samurai 4 + DLC - $3.5
(5) 10/2/21: Drakensang - $3
(6) 10/2/21: Commander Keen Complete Pack - $1.5
(7) 10/2/21: XCOM 2 - $4.5
(8) 26/2/21: Cardaclysm: Shards of the Four - $9
(9) 22/3/21: Raji: An Ancient Epic - $12.5
(10) 30/3/21: Worms World Party Remastered - $2
(11) 2/4/21: Steel Rats Original Soundtrack - $1
(12) 29/4/21: Hob - $4
(13) 30/4/21: The 7th Circle - Endless Nightmare - $5
(14) 3/6/21: Warhammer Quest Deluxe - $4.5
(15) 3/6/21: Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times - $10
(16) 9/6/21: Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition - $3
(17) 9/6/21: THIEF: Definitive Edition - $6
(18) 9/6/21: Fae Tactics - $12
(19) 9/6/21: Loop Hero - $10
(20) 9/6/21: Styx: Master of Shadows - $2
(21) 14/6/21: Hellpoint Supporter Pack - $4
(22) 18/6/21: Samorost 2 - $1.5
(23) 2/7/21: Revelation - $4.5
(24) 2/7/21: Zyconix - $4.5
(25) 21/7/21: Ticket to Earth - $5

Total not spent on GOG so far: $140.5

===========================================================================================

Additionally, after 12 years of buying nothing but GOG, I have finally decided (in May) to begin buying video games elsewhere --- on Humble Store, Indiegala, Steam, Fanatical, Green Man Gaming, etc. --- as long as they're DRM-free and, more importantly, client-free.

Total spent elsewhere in 2021 so far: $26 (15 games)

===========================================================================================

My reasons for boycotting:
(1) GOG does not indicate which games contain single-player elements that require galaxy or an online presence (e.g. Absolver, CP2077), making it impossible to buy client-free games with confidence (I don't care whether or not they sell such games, I just want to know which, so I can avoid them) --- Status: Still waiting for GOG to add some indication of this, e.g. via a search filter or game page field.
(2) A significant number of offline installers are outdated vis-a-vis the galaxy installers, sometimes for months and years --- Status: Since the boycott began this has improved significantly, which seems to indicate that GOG has made an honest attempt to resolve this to some degree, so from my POV, I consider this, for now, to be resolved, assuming it does not deteriorate again.
Post edited July 22, 2021 by mrkgnao
Huh. So, I have a bit to read to catch up with this thread, and I'm not even gonna try to search where I last posted my list of games I've abdicated from buying. But I just wanna note that there's no way the me from one year ago would pass the opportunities of snatching The Sexy Brutale 80% off, or a bunch of Team17 games like Overcooked and Aven Colony 90% off.

That's another $4.11 that Gog can just kiss goodbye, I suppose. Well my backlog is still ginormous, so...
FYI: I have updated the first post to add the newly released Piggyback Interactive Map for Cyberpunk to the list of boycott grievances. Also ref. this thread for discussion on the topic.
Thanks for updating the main posting. I'm not very often on gog anymore (passion is still gone), mostly checking for updated installers, but sometimes I also take a look in the forum and so I did yesterday evening.

About the Cyberpunk-DLC: It's an absolut no-go as it's clearly drm. I really hoped after the Devotion story and Cyberpunk mess last year gog would become more sensitive and while not communicating or start any bigger changes, at least try to change smaller things in the background (better infrastructure, streamlined processes, stricter presets regarding offline installers) to comfort the old drm-free offline installer crowd like me and the newer more online-focused client customers. It's a balancing act for sure, but it's not impossible. But it seems at the decision-making level nothing changed, otherwise I really can't explain how someone on gog would wave something like this through. That's sad to see and helps not to regain trust, I don't want to check every game I want if it's completely works offline, if it's complete or if there are any other problem with it. As result I'll still pass and only check for installer updates from time to time. It's hard to say, but on gog fun for me is still gone, no signs for improvements so far.
Post edited August 19, 2021 by DukeNukemForever
low rated
I thought I'd keep a record of GOG games I would definitely have bought, were it not for my boycott.

GAMES NOT BOUGHT ON GOG IN 2021
(1) 18/1/21: Dread Nautical - $10
(2) 18/1/21: Operencia: The Stolen Sun - $15
(3) 29/1/21: Way of the Samurai 3 Deluxe - $2.5
(4) 29/1/21: Way of the Samurai 4 + DLC - $3.5
(5) 10/2/21: Drakensang - $3
(6) 10/2/21: Commander Keen Complete Pack - $1.5
(7) 10/2/21: XCOM 2 - $4.5
(8) 26/2/21: Cardaclysm: Shards of the Four - $9
(9) 22/3/21: Raji: An Ancient Epic - $12.5
(10) 30/3/21: Worms World Party Remastered - $2
(11) 2/4/21: Steel Rats Original Soundtrack - $1
(12) 29/4/21: Hob - $4
(13) 30/4/21: The 7th Circle - Endless Nightmare - $5
(14) 3/6/21: Warhammer Quest Deluxe - $4.5
(15) 3/6/21: Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times - $10
(16) 9/6/21: Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition - $3
(17) 9/6/21: THIEF: Definitive Edition - $6
(18) 9/6/21: Fae Tactics - $12
(19) 9/6/21: Loop Hero - $10
(20) 9/6/21: Styx: Master of Shadows - $2
(21) 14/6/21: Hellpoint Supporter Pack - $4
(22) 18/6/21: Samorost 2 - $1.5
(23) 2/7/21: Revelation - $4.5
(24) 2/7/21: Zyconix - $4.5
(25) 21/7/21: Ticket to Earth - $5
(26) 19/8/21: Tomb Raider: Legend - $1
(27) 19/8/21: Tomb Raider: Anniversary - $1
(28) 19/8/21: Tomb Raider: Underworld - $1
(29) 19/8/21: Tomb Raider GOTY - $4
(30) 19/8/21: Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Imperial Edition Bundle - $13.5
(31) 19/8/21: ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery) - $1.5

Total not spent on GOG so far: $162.5

Additionally, after 12 years of buying nothing but GOG, I have finally decided (in May) to begin buying video games elsewhere --- on Humble Store, Indiegala, Steam, Fanatical, Green Man Gaming, etc. --- as long as they're DRM-free and, more importantly, client-free.

Total spent elsewhere in 2021 so far: $70 (52 games)

My reasons for boycotting:
(1) GOG does not indicate which games contain single-player elements that require galaxy or an online presence (e.g. Absolver, CP2077), making it impossible to buy client-free games with confidence (I don't care whether or not they sell such games, I just want to know which, so I can avoid them) --- Status: Still waiting for GOG to add some indication of this, e.g. via a search filter or game page field.
(2) A significant number of offline installers are outdated vis-a-vis the galaxy installers, sometimes for months and years --- Status: Since the boycott began this has improved significantly, which seems to indicate that GOG has made an honest attempt to resolve this to some degree, so from my POV, I consider this, for now, to be resolved, assuming it does not deteriorate again.
Post edited August 30, 2021 by mrkgnao
Just to check in with you fine folks and reiterate a point I made in another topic. I am not the posterboy for an ironclad disciplined total boycott because my approach is different. I am still boycotting, but bought what I considered must-have, though for practical reason and absolutely not as any kind of endorsement of GOG's increased direction towards DRM. I really fear it's only going to get worse in terms of this direction, so to me it is important to boycott GOG and also important to buy the offline "backup" (lol) installers while we still can. I plan to keep speaking out against DRM and bringing awareness to these issues regardless of course!
rjbuffchix: Just to check in with you fine folks and reiterate a point I made in another topic. I am not the posterboy for an ironclad disciplined total boycott because my approach is different. I am still boycotting, but bought what I considered must-have, though for practical reason and absolutely not as any kind of endorsement of GOG's increased direction towards DRM. I really fear it's only going to get worse in terms of this direction, so to me it is important to boycott GOG and also important to buy the offline "backup" (lol) installers while we still can. I plan to keep speaking out against DRM and bringing awareness to these issues regardless of course!
Purchase free since Nov 2020. In fact I am getting further away from buying anything here. From the DRM coming in, to the galaxy pushing, to ignoring any issues. Then there is the reactivation of certain bots again, the mass downvoting of almost posts. There is really nothing left here to be positive about. Even the releases are less than wonderful.
nightcraw1er.488: Purchase free since Nov 2020. In fact I am getting further away from buying anything here. From the DRM coming in, to the galaxy pushing, to ignoring any issues. Then there is the reactivation of certain bots again, the mass downvoting of almost posts. There is really nothing left here to be positive about. Even the releases are less than wonderful.
Kudos. I would say the releases this year have been a lot better than I expected they'd be. Then again, one could say that Cyberpunk interactive DRM map is probably the worst release on this store since GWENT!
they really should be careful where they're going with this online only features in their fllagship game. their only selling proposition is DRM free. if they mess with that, then they have no more sales as far as gamers are concerned.
rjbuffchix: I really fear it's only going to get worse in terms of this direction ...
Yes, it's hard to see how it is going to get any better in the foreseeable future. The heads in charge of the store seem to be dead set on their course down what appears to be a misguided and self-destructive path. They are clearly not interested in engaging with or listening to their customers. It's a very sad situation.

I can only hope that enough regular customers will see what they are doing and push back hard enough that they will have no choice but to change direction. However, the very fact that those in charge are so intent on pursuing this damaging strategy is tragic in itself. It means we will essentially have a constant battle on our hands to prevent further slippage.

I had been planning to start buying the occasional game here again after the end of this year. However, the way things are going, I doubt that I will buy another game from GOG ever again. I would simply feel dirty to do so.