It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators in:

The Secret of Terror Castle
The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot
The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy
The Mystery of the Green Ghost
The Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure
The Secret of Skeleton Island

Begun re-reading this series from my very early teens for some reason. Nostalgia. They were all made public domain by the rights holders years ago and can be downloaded as docx and pdf's.
bhrigu: ...
Thanks for joining!
ciemnogrodzianin: [...]
Is including Graphic Novel / Manga acceptable?
bhrigu: Is including Graphic Novel / Manga acceptable?
Sure, why not? Up to you :)
The Sound of His Horn (1952) by Sarban: 3/5

I thought this was a 1960 novel, but it turns out it was originally released in Britain in 1952, and then republished in the US by Ballantine Books in 1960.
It's still a rather obscure book, with only eight different publications, but according to Wikipedia
The novel has been included in several lists of the greatest fantasy novels of all time

I think it was the first story dealing with the "what if the Nazis won?" theme, but I found Cyril Kornbluths's novella Two Dooms and Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle far more interesting. This very short book (154 pages according to Wikipedia, but only eight chapters and 75 pages (including Kingsley Amis' forword which like all forwords should be treated as afterword) in my PDF version) only presents a very tiny fragment of Europe under Nazi rule in 2043 or thereabouts. We learn very little about the society at large, although some can be inferred; it's all rather about hunting and in this case humans are the prey. So this book has more in common with the classic (1924) story The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell.

The book also suffers from the outdated mode of story telling known as the framing story. The "I" person is told the story by Alan Querdillon, who tells, without a single interruption by the first "I" person, of how he became a POW during the war, managed to escape and then blundered into a fence of "Bohlen Rays" and was transported to an alternate future.

The characters are also rather sketchy, and we don't learn much about them.
But the actual prose is quite good, if rather old fashioned in style. Often a book "jumps the shark" as soon as a love interest is introduced (I hate tacked on love stories), but in this case it elevates the story, and the final part is easily the best one with some powerful imagery, when the girl (Christine) is turned into a Christ figure. One of the best passages is just after "boy meets girl" so to speak:
Well, it was not long we had together: a day, from the forenoon until after moonrise; a long summer day. The longest of my life. I feel now that I have never known anyone so well as I knew Kit; I feel that if I began to tell the tale of every little thing that I noticed and delighted in that day I should never end though I spent the rest of my life unloading my memory. My mind's eyes are still so full of that intricate sunlit forest. I think I can recall exactly the bend of every grass-stem, the shape of every leaf, and tuft of pine-needles, every pattern of light and shade, every beetle and butterfly that my eye fell on that day; the scent of earth and grass and pines is in my nostrils now; the summery singing of the insects is in my ears. And there was about it some rare quality that belonged neither to her times nor to mine: something like the mellow magic that lights your recollection of a summer day in childhood—the glow and loveliness of the lost age when you lived and played protected, secure from all harm and trouble, free to give all your heart and soul to the rare, immediate wonders of the living earth.

So, if you're looking for something similar to Man in the High Castle you'll be disappointed, but if you are as obsessed with hunting as I think the author (Sarban was the pseudonym of British diplomat John William Wall) was and think The Most Dangerous Game was brilliant, you'll probably like this novel.
Christopher Caldwell, The age of entitlement. America since the Sixties.

Book by a conservative journalist about the development of US society since the 1960s. He's extremely critical of civil rights legislation and claims it established a new kind of constitution (for more details look up reviews of the book on the net, it attracted considerable attention a few years ago).
I found it interesting, but one notices it was written by a journalist, there are many sweeping assertions which don't seem to be substantiated enough.
My rating: 3/5.
Summer of Night by Dan simmons

Horror novel in the style of IT by S. King. It's about a group of kids in rural America that must fight and unspeakable evil that the grown ups ignorer until it's too late.

The book is a bit formulaic but Simmons write well and the atmosphere and description of 1960ies rural America is great and the tension builds up quite well. The ending is a let down though (just like with King).

If you like horror this one is not too shabby.
Praxis Trilogy first set of novels

Outside the wild use of English, describing the upper upper class from a society , the story is pretty grand and managed to grab me by the throat.

We follow the 2 protagonists throughout their navy career, clashing into each other like neutron bombs before fading away again out of each other's reach waiting for the cycle to once again.....

This in a turbulent sci fi setting where the Masters of Old slowly vanish from the picture leaving their client races with the grand legacy of keeping the empire whole

More of a space opera then a military sf but still very much enjoyable!

series : Dread Empire's Fall
writer : Walter John Williams
Level 7 (1959) by Mordecai Roshwald: 4/5

In the late 1950's one the big scares was obviously that the fate of the world could be decided by a few men pushing buttons to release a nuclear holocaust. There were several short stories written on the subject (like Triggerman), but this novel is probably the most thorough exploration of the idea.

It's told in first person as a diary authored by a man known only as X-127, and this is how he describes the setting:

"Attention please, attention! This message is addressed to all underground forces on Level 7.
"You have been brought here today to serve as the advance guard of our country, our creed, our way of life. To you men and women on Level 7 is entrusted the operation of the offensive branch of the military machine of our country and its allies.
"You are the defenders of truth and justice. Our infamous and treacherous enemy has gone too far in developing his striking-power. In order to make ourselves safe from surprise attack and capable of retaliation, it is imperative that we protect our protectors, that we secure for our security forces the best possible shelter. That is the reason why you have been brought down to Level 7. From here you will be able to defend our country without the slightest chance of danger to yourselves. From here you will be able to attack without being attacked. To the world above you are invisible, but you hold the destiny of that world beneath the tips of your fingers. A day may come soon when some of you will be commanded to push a button, and your fingers will annihilate the enemy and make the victory ours.

'Till that day," the loudspeaker went on, "you will have to serve your country and humanity on Level 7. This a privileged position, and you may feel proud to have been chosen for this duty. Remembering that this is also the safest place on earth, you may feel happy too. Arrangements have been made for every aspect of your well-being. You will have all you need. There is no danger of supplies running short: thanks to modern scientific achievements, we are self-sufficient here on Level 7. You need not worry about your friends and relatives outside. They will be notified that you have been killed in a painless accident and that you left no remains. We regret this, but your disappearance must remain absolutely secret. Down here you will find new friends and create new families.

"All this had to be done the way it was done, and we are happy to announce that Operation Level 7 Down, which brought you here today, was a complete success. Needless to say, there is no way back available to you; but it will please you to know that neither is there any way for radioactive pollution, should any occur, to find its way down here: the system was hermetically sealed as soon as the last of you had arrived this morning. You are safely cut off from the surface of the earth and from the other six shelter levels. We wish you and ourselves—for we are with you—good luck. Get adjusted to your new environment.

"Let us all get adjusted! Thank you."

The intro chapter is very strong and really sucked me in, but then it slows down a bit, and the ending is quite powerful.
The first part of the book, after having reached Level 7, could just as well have been about the start of a generation ship's long voyage, since Level 7 is designed to be self sufficient for at least a thousand years, and is prepared for children being born, and there's even mythologies being invented to explain the world to future generations.

But in the end it's more like On The Beach. Both books have premises I didn't find quite convincing (like the motivation of the characters), but Roshwald seems to have anticipated most of it, and most of the things are explained in due course.
But On The Beach had much more memorable characters. In Level 7 every character has a code number, and personal names are never used, and we don't get to know any of the characters well. We are not even told if Level 7 is located in the US or in the USSR.

Of course the book is quite dated now, but personally I find the cold war paranoia "culture" quite interesting.
It's a short (183 pages) and easy read.
=> Ways of Seeing by John Berger
Really insightful book about how artistic representations are influenced by social, political and economic realities and how in turn these representations influence the meaning we (try to) find within our social structures. Though about fifty years old by now, this book certainly makes one think about their way of experiencing the world. The book is based on a BBC series , and has been made by not only John Berger alone, but also by Sven Blomberg, Chris Fox, Michael Dibb and Richard Hollis.

=> Abandon the Old in Tokyo by Yoshihiro Tatsumi
This book of Manga consists of eight stories written by one of the masters of Gekiga style of graphic narrative. The stories were all published around 1970 and represent a bleak view of life in the rapidly changing urban landscape of post-war Japan. The Characters in Tatsumi's stories are flawed at best, yet they are not " "Evil" with a capital E" as Koji Suzuki states in the Introduction to the book. Some stories contain dark and shocking scenes, clearly intended for a mature audience.

=> Train to Pakistan by Khushwant Singh
This debut novel by Singh, written and published in the 1950s, narrates a story set in the backdrop of the violent times surrounding the partition of India. Rather than focusing on the turmoil following the division of a nation and the ensuing violence as a whole, Singh focuses his narrative attention on a single fictional village situated near the newly created border. The novel succinctly tells stories of individual and social tragedy weaving them to the larger event of social disharmony.
★★★ Building Maintainable Software / Joost Visser
★★☆ PostGIS Essentials / Angel Marquez
★★☆ Be More Strategic in Business / Diana Thomas, Stacey Boyle

List of all books read in 2021.
So far, I have only read two books, mostly for school:

Inventing the Middle Ages by Norman Cantor

This is a historiography (the history of history) of the Middle Ages, which is considered to be a controversial book. Mostly because Cantor has been accused of character assassination in the book (according to Medievalists.net). In this Cantor does an excellent job (most the time) of detailing the different schools of thought of looking at the Middle Ages and the different people that established or were important to their schools. For the most part he does a ok job at putting different historians together, where he falls apart is during the chapter that he talks about Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. I was mostly annoyed by this chapter.

The other one is The Spanish Frontier in North America: The Brief Edition by David J. Weber.

This one is by far a better book than the previous one. For this one this is the history of the Spanish colonies in American, mostly in North America. And this is a Borderland history, which is basically how did two or more cultures influence each other and their shared history. This was a really fascinating read, mostly because where I am from, we really don’t talk about the areas that were under Spanish rule, it was really fun to read about this topic. And Weber was one of the important figures in Borderland histories, because he helped to bring it back from going away.
CrazyProfessor2: So far, I have only read two books, mostly for school:

Inventing the Middle Ages by Norman Cantor

This is a historiography (the history of history) of the Middle Ages, which is considered to be a controversial book. Mostly because Cantor has been accused of character assassination in the book (according to Medievalists.net). In this Cantor does an excellent job (most the time) of detailing the different schools of thought of looking at the Middle Ages and the different people that established or were important to their schools. For the most part he does a ok job at putting different historians together, where he falls apart is during the chapter that he talks about Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. I was mostly annoyed by this chapter.
Since the book is available at Archive.org I decided to check it out myself. Read some of the Tolkien/Lewis chapter, and I was surprised by the direct language, especially when the author called Joy Davidman a groupie.
I have already finished The Ball and the Cross / G.K. Chesterton. Nice book. After reading book I started to prepare for future essay and will apply to assignmentshark.com for getting some help with grammar because Iam bad at english.
Post edited May 21, 2021 by davers11
The Beachhead trilogy by DAVID ANDERSON was okay, fairly entertaining, but certainly aimed more at older teenagers rather than adults. I could suspend disbelief just enough to enjoy the books, with the first book being the best of the three.

[1] - THE BEACHHEAD
[2] - THE REMNANT
[3] - THE CITADEL

I got the first ebook free, and wanted to keep reading, so bought the other two.

The story is a variation on virus and zombie like people apocalypse, with a select group of immune teenagers kept isolated and under the rule of a computer. Some of the teens eventually rebel, and the story revolves on that aspect etc.

Things get decidedly bloodthirsty and violent in the second and third books. None of that in the first novel. It doesn't improve the story, or make a lot of sense to my mind, but I guess it adds to the drama and keeps things tense, etc.

My reading list for 2021
Post edited May 18, 2021 by Timboli