It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Finished the fourth volume of "Fortune de France", titled "Le Prince que Voilà", by Robert Merle (of course I read the 3 firsts volumes in 2013 so I'm not listing them here).

It's a fictional/historical novel about the Catherine de Medicis/Henry IVth of France era. We're following the adventures of Pierre de Siorac (the last son of a small noble family of Perigord region) through the religious wars that scorched the Kingdom of France in the XVIth century. really, really well written. I don't know if it has ever been translated in other languages, but if yes, please give it a try!

IShoot4lolz, why not making this thread a "copy" of the "Games finished in 2014" thread? In which I mean, if you have time, that in your first post you would list the GOGers contributing to this thread with a link to their first posting of a finished book. That way, when having finished to read a book, we could easily update our list!

But I know it takes quite a lot of time to do so, so it's simply a suggestion...
Catcher in the Rye.

I'm honestly not sure what I think about it.
Books I've finished in 2014

Varied Types / by G.K. Chesterton
Napoleon of Notting Hill / by G.K. Chesterton
G.F. Watts / G.K. Chesterton
Learning to Waltz / Kerryn Reid
All Bad Things / Stephen Blackmore
The Power of Habit / Charles Duhigg
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry / Rachel Joyce
Roverandom / J.R.R. Tolkien
The Club of Queer Trades / G.K. Chesterton
Return of the King / J.R.R. Tolkien
The Earth Transformed / Michael A. Stackpole and Nathan Long
Heretics / G.K. Chesterton
Apostles of Rock / Jay R. Howard and John M. Streck
The Journal of a Visit to the Georgia Islands ... 1753 / Jonathan Bryan ; ed. Virginia Steele Wood
So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love / Cal Newport
The Improved Emperor's Guide To Tamriel / by Flaccus Terentius
Charles Dickens / by G.K. Chesterton
Theodore Roosevelt / by Lewis L. Gold
The Man Who Was Thursday / by G.K. Chesterton
Kyne's Challenge : A Hunter's Companion / by David S. Hodgson
From the Depths: Gold / by Adam Heine
The Way Through the Woods / Colin Dexter
The Death Machines / Michael A. Stackpole and Nathan Long
The Imitation of Christ / Thomas a Kempis ; Leo Sherley-Price, translator
The Plantagenets : The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England / Dan Jones
Post edited December 25, 2014 by Syme
The only book I've finished in 2014 so far is Living Asatru by Greg Shetler. Great book and introduction to Germanic neo-paganism and heathenry. I hope to read more books on Asatru shortly.
Finished the classic, "The Princess of Mars" by Edgar Rice Borroughs, loved it so much I started right away on the sequel to the John Carter Series, "The Gods of Mars".
Alison Weir - The War of the Roses (non-fiction), with special focus on the characters involved, more than on military aspects. Very enlightening. After reading 2 books on the military aspects last year, it still kept me wandering what the wars were all about. Weir's book is much more insightful.

Also another part of the Battleground Europe battlefield guides, this one about the village of Serre, fought over during the Somme battles.
xa_chan: Finished the fourth volume of "Fortune de France", titled "Le Prince que Voilà", by Robert Merle (of course I read the 3 firsts volumes in 2013 so I'm not listing them here).

It's a fictional/historical novel about the Catherine de Medicis/Henry IVth of France era. We're following the adventures of Pierre de Siorac (the last son of a small noble family of Perigord region) through the religious wars that scorched the Kingdom of France in the XVIth century. really, really well written. I don't know if it has ever been translated in other languages, but if yes, please give it a try!
This sounded interesting so I went and checked the author on Wikipedia. Found this:

He has also written a 13 book series of historical novels, Fortune de France. Recreating 16th and 17th century France through the eyes of a fictitious Protestant doctor turned spy, he went so far as to write it in the period's French making it virtually untranslatable.
DragoonHP: Catcher in the Rye.

I still remember reading that a long time ago. I had bought it as a gift and ended up reading it in one go. I remember only vaguely what the book was about, but I remember the writing style itself captivated me.
kalmis666: This sounded interesting so I went and checked the author on Wikipedia. Found this:

He has also written a 13 book series of historical novels, Fortune de France. Recreating 16th and 17th century France through the eyes of a fictitious Protestant doctor turned spy, he went so far as to write it in the period's French making it virtually untranslatable.
kalmis666:
Yeah, that's the problem. In fact, the author had to give a mini dictionnary at the end of every book of this series, because even for french people, it can be unclear at times... :/

But, it must not prevent you to read some of his other books, especially "La mort est mon métier" (about concentration camps in Nazi germany) or "Malevil" (how to survive a nuclear apocalypse in countryside France), which are true masterpieces!
DragoonHP: Catcher in the Rye.

Aningan: I still remember reading that a long time ago. I had bought it as a gift and ended up reading it in one go. I remember only vaguely what the book was about, but I remember the writing style itself captivated me.
The writing style was great. When I started reading it, I wasn't sure if I would like it because I thought that the writing style was annoying. But as soon as I was 10 pages in, I couldn't stop reading.

Though the open ending was a bit unsatisfying.
Damn, I know they are small books, but I am just reading these John Carter books to fast.
I finished the second book yesterday, Gods of Mars....really liked this one as well. Moving on to the next in the series, Warlord of Mars.

Books so far this year:

Under the Dome by Stephen King
Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Post edited January 19, 2014 by jjsimp
Since I used to read quite a lot just a few years ago, I figure I might as well participate in this, in the hopes that my reading will pick up a bit again.

I recently finished the second volume in the The Book of the New Sun series, The Claw of the Conciliator. I'm still not sure what the series is about, but I'm working my way through the third book slowly.
Jekadu: Since I used to read quite a lot just a few years ago, I figure I might as well participate in this, in the hopes that my reading will pick up a bit again.
What got me restarted was going back to my favorite genre and then making myself read a chapter a night before bed. It actually helps me get to sleep at night now, if I don't read a chapter I usually toss and turn until I do. Not to mention my Kindle. If I was still reading it on dead trees there would be no way I would be reading as much as I do now.
Good idea. Hope I remember to keep coming back to it.

So far this year I've read - and finished - the following:

Neil Young - Waging Heavy Peace

Graham Nash - Wild Tales

Deepak Chopra - The Third Jesus; Life After Death

David McRaney - You Are Not So Smart; You Are Now Less Dumb

Um, I think that's it so far.
Finished reading A Song of Ice and Fire - A Feast of Crows yesterday and I'm glad to be done.