It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

FearfulSymmetry: Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (if this counts as a book)
Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer (not all of it)

Morte Arthure - Malory
AnimalMother117: First off, are those first two particularly good?

Secondly, which version? I've read the Keith Baines version and I've read a little bit of the Winchester Manuscript.

Unrelated to the above, I read five volumes of Vinland Saga and I have Njal's Saga on the back burner, probably won't finish it until next year.
Well, it all depends on what you enjoy, I suppose. I thought Gawain and the Green Knight was rather interesting, and it's not a particularly long text, so you could take a chance on it. At any rate, I'm biased because I dive deep into the details for my classes, so my interest in the story may just be related to that. The text of this story I read in an anthology of Arthurian romance - I believe it was based on the Tolkien translation of the tale.

As for the Canterbury Tales - they're highly amusing. Chaucer has an incredible mastery of many different styles and a talent for satire. If you're familiar with some literary background it's especially fun, as he plays on many tropes. You can always try reading one of the tales, like The Wife of Bath or The Miller. Or even just the general prologue. I've read various versions of the Canterbury tales, depending on what my professors set for the course, and I've recently been reading some original manuscripts.The Riverside Chaucer is very famous, you could try that. Or Google for some of the texts available online. That's the good thing about these old texts - you can find most of them on the internet.
AnimalMother117: First off, are those first two particularly good?

Secondly, which version? I've read the Keith Baines version and I've read a little bit of the Winchester Manuscript.

Unrelated to the above, I read five volumes of Vinland Saga and I have Njal's Saga on the back burner, probably won't finish it until next year.
FearfulSymmetry: Well, it all depends on what you enjoy, I suppose. I thought Gawain and the Green Knight was rather interesting, and it's not a particularly long text, so you could take a chance on it. At any rate, I'm biased because I dive deep into the details for my classes, so my interest in the story may just be related to that. The text of this story I read in an anthology of Arthurian romance - I believe it was based on the Tolkien translation of the tale.

As for the Canterbury Tales - they're highly amusing. Chaucer has an incredible mastery of many different styles and a talent for satire. If you're familiar with some literary background it's especially fun, as he plays on many tropes. You can always try reading one of the tales, like The Wife of Bath or The Miller. Or even just the general prologue. I've read various versions of the Canterbury tales, depending on what my professors set for the course, and I've recently been reading some original manuscripts.The Riverside Chaucer is very famous, you could try that. Or Google for some of the texts available online. That's the good thing about these old texts - you can find most of them on the internet.
Cool. I like old stuff like that, always nice to see others appreciate it as well.

Although, I apologize but I intended to ask you about what version of Morte D'Arthur you read. That was my fault, but I wanted to ask you about the others as well. Thanks all the same.
shadowrgog: I read Cibola Burn from James S.A. Corey (Pen name for two authors, Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck). It's a space opera book that's somewhat mature but a good read for those into that sort of thing. This book in particular talks about the drama of humans settling on a new planet similar to Earth with reminents to a prior dominanting species. It's the fourth book in The Expanse series and it's in the works to being a TV series too. I definitely recommend reading the beginning of the series (Leviathan Wakes) but Cibola Burn in particular might work as a stand alone too. Since I read the series I wouldn't know if that can truly work though. Since I can't post links for some reason, I recommend just searching amazon for reviews and daniel abraham's site for more details.
I had no idea Daniel Abraham was involved in this. It's on my list to read, just got moved to the top :) I love his stuff (except that horrible urban fantasy series he wrote). I'm gonna have to pick up the first one when I get done with my current stack.
shadowrgog:
jadeblackhawk: I had no idea Daniel Abraham was involved in this. It's on my list to read, just got moved to the top :) I love his stuff (except that horrible urban fantasy series he wrote). I'm gonna have to pick up the first one when I get done with my current stack.
I haven't read any of his material besides the funny and down to earth things he wrote while in character in the wild card universe. If you say it's that bad, I might just not even want to know what it's even about! :D I think the way he writes in The Expanse series is complimented by the editing and additions of Ty Franck since they collaborate on most of the material. In the book, the only way you knew he was writing the scene was if you somehow picked up the little nuances that's unique to him. One thing, I think, that is unique to him is the snarky sarcasm characters display in heated moments. I noticed it in the wild cards stories he wrote. Leviathan Wakes is a great starting point and that book is praised in subsequent books too on the cover reviews (those brief one two liners from famous sources that really got a kick out of the book). If you ever curious on how they work together, do check out their interviews, it could be insightful.
jadeblackhawk: I had no idea Daniel Abraham was involved in this. It's on my list to read, just got moved to the top :) I love his stuff (except that horrible urban fantasy series he wrote). I'm gonna have to pick up the first one when I get done with my current stack.
shadowrgog: I haven't read any of his material besides the funny and down to earth things he wrote while in character in the wild card universe. If you say it's that bad, I might just not even want to know what it's even about! :D I think the way he writes in The Expanse series is complimented by the editing and additions of Ty Franck since they collaborate on most of the material. In the book, the only way you knew he was writing the scene was if you somehow picked up the little nuances that's unique to him. One thing, I think, that is unique to him is the snarky sarcasm characters display in heated moments. I noticed it in the wild cards stories he wrote. Leviathan Wakes is a great starting point and that book is praised in subsequent books too on the cover reviews (those brief one two liners from famous sources that really got a kick out of the book). If you ever curious on how they work together, do check out their interviews, it could be insightful.
Abraham wrote it as MLN Hanover. It was so trope laden I thought at first it was satire. I couldn't even finish the first book. His Long Price Quartet is really unique, controlling powerful archetypes through poetry, and his Dagger and Coin series is more in line with epic fantasy, but still completely unique.
NOS4A2 By Joe Hill, started off a bit weak, but really picked up and kept the momentum going. If I didn't know better I woulda said Stephen wrote it himself.
Just finished reading Low Town by Daniel Polansky. It was alright, but the perp was so predictable it stuck out like a sore thumb. First novel, so I guess it's understandable. I'll probably read the next two eventually.
Geoffrey Regan's Book of Military Blunders
The Plantagenets : The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England / Dan Jones

An engaging narrative history. It covers the entire dynasty with a quick pace in 534 pages. It is more story than nuts-and-bolts history, but he's obviously done his research.

Full list here.
Post edited December 25, 2014 by Syme
From the last few months? I believe just The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. I'm pretty sure I finished at least a couple more this past summer and before, but I keep no record of what I've read, so I can't say exactly what else I finished this year. :(
I updated the "games finished in 2014" topic with 20 entries and was thinking of updating this too but with 60+ books finished I think it would be a bit spamy :P

Seems I read a lot more than I game :)
Not sure if there is a 2015 version of this, but I finally finished The Fires of Heaven - the fifth book in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It took me over three months, but I have had a lot of distractions in those three months. It was a really good read, although long and kind of drawn out. Though I really enjoyed it. Have to delay reading #6 as Game of Thrones will be back on and I need to read Dance with Dragons first, but it will be the next one I pickup when I have read that.
VABlitz: Not sure if there is a 2015 version of this, .
I did not see one either, but that's not a problem.