It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Herzlich Willkommen!

GOG.com goes German. Not completely, mind you, but starting today we'll be spreading our DRM-free love in one more language. Whether you're here because of the news, or you've been with us for a while, here is what we're doing to make our German speaking friends feel a little more welcome on GOG.com:

-A German version of our website. You can change your language using the drop-down menu towards the bottom of every page.
-A German corner of our forums. Your home away from home.
-German customer support. If you're more comfortable talking to us in your native language.
-More games in German. We're rolling out 25+ German localisations for our games today, bringing the total up to 350+.

No big announcement would be complete without a huge sale! This weekend we're holding the German-riffic <span class="bold">Herzlich Willkommen!</span> promo. The highlight is a ridiculous 97% off Deponia, but there are over 25 other German gaming hits available as well. There is adventuring with the remaining Deponia games, the cult strategy of The Settlers, the tough and turn-based tactics in Blackguards 1 and 2, and many, many more feats of German game design.

Check out <span class="bold">the weekend promo page</span> to see the full lineup. The promo will last until Tuesday, March 3, at 4:59 AM GMT.

Update:
Two games from our catalog had to be made unavailable in Germany: Commandos Ammo Pack and Commandos 2+3. Offering or promoting these games is considered a serious criminal offence according to German law, and we have to abide by this law to avoid the risk of serious legal action taken against GOG.com and GOG.com employees. Rest assured that if you've already bought a game - nothing will retroactively disappear from your shelves.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by Chamb
FT337mZn: Thus they conveniently made it illegal to show any nazi symbols
Actually, these particular laws probably had more to do with the practices of denazification than with conveniencing the German people.

FT337mZn: even in harmless contexts like museums, to this date!
I don't think this is accurate. Being the illiterate moron that I am, I haven't set foot in a museum in a million years, but I seem to remember swastikas on the models of WWII battleships being displayed in museums.
fronzelneekburm: Can anyone else appreciate the irony? Imagine the German government suing a Polish company over a game that has swastikas in it. That would be some truly sublime idiocy.
FT337mZn: But perfectly fitting. One of the reasons german bureaucracy has always been so eager to censor any reference to the 3rd reich is, that post-war germans did not want to be reminded of their embarrassing past. Thus they conveniently made it illegal to show any nazi symbols (even in harmless contexts like museums, to this date!) in public.
This is simply not true. Showing those symbols is still allowed in connection with a) education and b) art.
Video games are not considered as art by German officials.
The banning of the symbol was part of a not too well made "denazification"-plan.
They tried to hinder neo-nazis in uniting under the old flag.
Vainamoinen: That's better, thank you. Will my account remember it?
JudasIscariot: It should AFAIK :)
Hm. It did at first but now it doesn't want to anymore.
Right after the change I set it to English while logged in. Because I have PaleMoon clear all data on exit, every time I visit GOG again it's in German, but until a few days ago it did indeed switch to English once I signed in.
Is that one of the things that just are a bit wonky right now because of the sale? :p
JudasIscariot: It should AFAIK :)
Crackpot.756: Hm. It did at first but now it doesn't want to anymore.
Right after the change I set it to English while logged in. Because I have PaleMoon clear all data on exit, every time I visit GOG again it's in German, but until a few days ago it did indeed switch to English once I signed in.
Is that one of the things that just are a bit wonky right now because of the sale? :p
This might be a part of the personalization options that we nay have had to turn off during the sale to decrease server load but I am not 100% sure :)
Not sure how well this has been tested or where to report this, but I just tried gifting an old commandos copy to a German user and it does work. Gifts don't appear to be locked as of yet.
FT337mZn: But perfectly fitting. One of the reasons german bureaucracy has always been so eager to censor any reference to the 3rd reich is, that post-war germans did not want to be reminded of their embarrassing past. Thus they conveniently made it illegal to show any nazi symbols (even in harmless contexts like museums, to this date!) in public.
Klumpen0815: This is simply not true. Showing those symbols is still allowed in connection with a) education and b) art.
It is. I happen to know that the U-Boot museum in Cuxhaven was forced to fold one swastika flag, such that it is only half way visible.
Klumpen0815: This is simply not true. Showing those symbols is still allowed in connection with a) education and b) art.
FT337mZn: It is. I happen to know that the U-Boot museum in Cuxhaven was forced to fold one swastika flag, such that it is only half way visible.
Maybe some official guy pressured them because he was the opinion, that it was a glorification, I doubt that he would have succeeded in a trial since the educational aspect is very clear in a museum, but just giving in was the easiest way of course.

Threatening with legal stuff is a very common thing in Germany even when you simply call someone an asshole (there is actually a law against that).
Germans can be real pricks....

BTW: I was there once too but it was a long time ago.
Post edited March 04, 2015 by Klumpen0815
JudasIscariot: This might be a part of the personalization options that we nay have had to turn off during the sale to decrease server load but I am not 100% sure :)
Hrm, don't mind me, I was just being slow. It doesn't switch right away when I log in but as soon as I move away from the page on which I signed in, it's back to English.
GOG.com: -More games in German. We're rolling out 25+ German localisations for our games today, bringing the total up to 350+.
Which are those 25+ German localisations ?
GOG.com: -More games in German. We're rolling out 25+ German localisations for our games today, bringing the total up to 350+.
weber1980: Which are those 25+ German localisations ?
Here you go :)

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/bherzlich_willkommenb_gogcom_goes_german_163a1/post14/?staff=yes
JudasIscariot: Here you go :)

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/bherzlich_willkommenb_gogcom_goes_german_163a1/post14/?staff=yes
Great ! Looking forward to the german The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav lokalisation, which is a bit paradox since it's a german game. Any news to that?
JudasIscariot: Here you go :)

There is a mistake on the gamecards. When you go to the right hand side of the gamecards for Splinter Cell and Far Cry 1(these were the only ones that I checked), it says under languages " Audio and text: English. Text only: Deutsch". It It is not clear whether the German audio is included as well.
Post edited March 05, 2015 by born3088
born3088: There is a mistake on the gamecards. When you go to the right hand side of the gamecards for Splinter Cell and Far Cry 1(these were the only ones that I checked), it says under languages " Audio and text: English. Text only: Deutsch". It It is not clear whether the German audio is included as well.
If it doesn't mention "Audio and text <language name>" for a given language then rest assured that you are only getting the subs for that language :)
JudasIscariot: If it doesn't mention "Audio and text <language name>" for a given language then rest assured that you are only getting the subs for that language :)
Sorry, my bad. I initially assumed that the German audio files would also be added and that the gamecards are just not up-to-date. Thanks for clarifying :)
JudasIscariot: If it doesn't mention "Audio and text <language name>" for a given language then rest assured that you are only getting the subs for that language :)
born3088: Sorry, my bad. I initially assumed that the German audio files would also be added and that the gamecards are just not up-to-date. Thanks for clarifying :)
You're welcome :)
weber1980: Great ! Looking forward to the german The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav lokalisation, which is a bit paradox since it's a german game. Any news to that?
You should actually ask Daedalic about that one as I really have no idea what's going on with the German localization of TDE: Chains of Satinav. Sorry :(
Post edited March 05, 2015 by JudasIscariot