It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Herzlich Willkommen!

GOG.com goes German. Not completely, mind you, but starting today we'll be spreading our DRM-free love in one more language. Whether you're here because of the news, or you've been with us for a while, here is what we're doing to make our German speaking friends feel a little more welcome on GOG.com:

-A German version of our website. You can change your language using the drop-down menu towards the bottom of every page.
-A German corner of our forums. Your home away from home.
-German customer support. If you're more comfortable talking to us in your native language.
-More games in German. We're rolling out 25+ German localisations for our games today, bringing the total up to 350+.

No big announcement would be complete without a huge sale! This weekend we're holding the German-riffic <span class="bold">Herzlich Willkommen!</span> promo. The highlight is a ridiculous 97% off Deponia, but there are over 25 other German gaming hits available as well. There is adventuring with the remaining Deponia games, the cult strategy of The Settlers, the tough and turn-based tactics in Blackguards 1 and 2, and many, many more feats of German game design.

Check out <span class="bold">the weekend promo page</span> to see the full lineup. The promo will last until Tuesday, March 3, at 4:59 AM GMT.

Update:
Two games from our catalog had to be made unavailable in Germany: Commandos Ammo Pack and Commandos 2+3. Offering or promoting these games is considered a serious criminal offence according to German law, and we have to abide by this law to avoid the risk of serious legal action taken against GOG.com and GOG.com employees. Rest assured that if you've already bought a game - nothing will retroactively disappear from your shelves.
Post edited February 27, 2015 by Chamb
Is it wrong to call what surely took many people many months of work half-assed?
eiii: At least the settlers games are good. They are true classics. I've played all of the older ones (up to Settlers 4), but I think Settlers 2 is still my favorite. If you like strategy games and economic simulation I can only recommend them. I don't know if there are any demos available of the settler games, but you can try out Widelands, it is very similar to Settlers 2.
Are the Settlers games similar to Lords of the Realm? Do you know if any support windowed mode?
RetroRaven: As long as you don't force us via GeoLocation to buy german cut versions like Steam, much appreciated ;)
PaterAlf: I hope so too. But normally it shouldn't be a problem for GOG as they are not located in Germany. German law doesn't forbid to buy and possess censored or banned media. It's just forbidden to promote them or to sell them in stores within Germany (or to resell or distribute them when you possess them).

We already got several games here that are censored in Germany and I've never heard that it caused GOG any problems.
We will see this if the Far Cry Language patch does only patch the language or other things, too ;)
RetroRaven: I guess the more GOG grows the more it will become like Steam. First it was the same currency and version for all of us. Now we have reagional pricing and geolock for Germany. What will be next? DRM? I, by all means, am totally disappointed in you for bringing us germans the hated and feared region lock. I considered GOG always some sort of safe haven...seems I've been wrong -_-
I just noticed, how the "local currency" low-tier price raised up to 5.39 EUR. So there is no advantage, it's always more expensive than USD. I bet you, it will raise further to 5.99 EUR and stay there, even if the USD goes down again.

But I'm finished with buying PC downloads anyway. Goodbye PC gaming.
RetroRaven: I guess the more GOG grows the more it will become like Steam. First it was the same currency and version for all of us. Now we have reagional pricing and geolock for Germany. What will be next? DRM? I, by all means, am totally disappointed in you for bringing us germans the hated and feared region lock. I considered GOG always some sort of safe haven...seems I've been wrong -_-
Aye, time to move on I guess. It was fun while the party did last.

I am angry, being locked out of games just because I live in certain country where a bunch of people think to dictate me what I as an adult get to see or not to see. GOG was always, like you said, a safe haven for me.

They have given us quite some good games in the last months, but when I look back, signing up to the store. Well there is not much left of the principles that were advertised back then.
Post edited February 26, 2015 by MaGo72
Thus ends GOG's career as the most civilized community on the web.
First off:
If you make Commandos unavailable, you have to make all these unavailable too, or you are inconsistent:
http://www.blood-is-red.de/mw/index.php/Liste_beschlagnahmter_Spiele

Second:
Germany should fucking wake up and consider computer games as art. You don't see drawings with swastikas on them on the "no sell list".

Third:
In the meantime, I recommend to procure these articles abroad. Because buying there, and driving back to Germany and then using the product is apparently legal. Why? Because German politicians like it weird. See "Second".

Note: Nothing I said has anything to do with "youth protection laws" or their weird agencies like "bpjs". That is a whole different world and a world I and GOG (having seen that the buyer is 18 years old) shouldn't give any fucks about. Exception: You like head aches.

Second note: Come on, someones here seem to assume GOG can put itself over German law when selling to a German and are angry at GOG. Grow up.
Post edited February 26, 2015 by AlienMind
RadonGOG: although I still don´t get why you do think that german and french subforums are somehow helpful if the main side stays english! (which is not a problem for me...)
I even think splitting up the forums into different language parts is counterproductive as information gets splattered over different places.
GOG.com: Offering or promoting these games is considered a serious criminal offence according to German law, and we have to abide by this law to avoid the risk of serious legal action taken against GOG.com and GOG.com employees.
I hope you guys are aware that censored versions of these games exist and that each game in the Commandos series was promoted and sold in Germany all along.
eiii: I even think splitting up the forums into different language parts is counterproductive as information gets splattered over different places.
That is what game publishers want: split up their customers, so they can't talk back with one voice.
Spinorial: Is it wrong to call what surely took many people many months of work half-assed?
Indeed. They clearly brought both buttocks fully to bear upon this.
The legalities of offering or not offering games based upon region is not a strong point for me, I am sure there are ways around the locks that GoG cannot advertise but that should come easily enough... I've always trusted GoG to be as professional as needed in their industry to maintain legal status worldwide.

As a man of Polish descent however, I feel that perhaps this could also just be our way of responding to actions from oh maybe.... the 1940s.
Draygonn: As a man of Polish descent however, I feel that perhaps this could also just be our way of responding to actions from oh maybe.... the 1940s.
Now I deeply regret ever joining this site.
Well first I was happy with GOG goes German but when I have noticed that you
hide games from German customers I got really pissed.

Now we have regional pricing and censorship. I tried to get all games in GOG
catalog but I think I have to look for some alternatives.
GOG is getting to big and adopts all the bad things from other shops :-(

Why is every "good" news from GOG connected with something terrible???
Draygonn: As a man of Polish descent however, I feel that perhaps this could also just be our way of responding to actions from oh maybe.... the 1940s.
jtsn: Now I deeply regret ever joining this site.
Sarcasm detector broken. Allow me to repair it by stating I am opposed wholeheartedly to censorship in art in all forms. Just thought I might evoke a laugh instead.

Unless you also were being sarcastic- in which case.... Touche