It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm actually a pretty big fan of most of Bethesda's games. Yeah, I wish they would have continued to make Fallout games isometric, turn-based RGPs, but I still ended up enjoying Fallout 3 and NV quite a bit. Never did play 4. I had a blast with Dishonored, though I never played the second one. I'm a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls games. And some of their non-series games like Prey and Rage were actually pretty solid.

All that said, if the Kotaku article ends up being correct, then my interest in the game will have went from 100% to 0%. I'm just not into online-only survival FPS's. Not my thing.

We'll see I suppose.
Qwertyman: I'm actually a pretty big fan of most of Bethesda's games. Yeah, I wish they would have continued to make Fallout games isometric, turn-based RGPs, but I still ended up enjoying Fallout 3 and NV quite a bit. Never did play 4. I had a blast with Dishonored, though I never played the second one. I'm a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls games. And some of their non-series games like Prey and Rage were actually pretty solid.

All that said, if the Kotaku article ends up being correct, then my interest in the game will have went from 100% to 0%. I'm just not into online-only survival FPS's. Not my thing.

We'll see I suppose.
better, Fallout 3 or NV? I have stumbled upon very dissenting opinions here.
I leaning toward NV and then #3.
Dejavous: do you really think a 6 year old game would hold anyones attention like Skyrim has without mods? It's ONLY because of mods skyrim is still a game people play without the numerous fixes or added content skyrim would have died out in it's 3rd year, but a modder brought out forgotten city and people flocked back to skyrim, when that slowed down along came Beyond skyrim Bruma and becoming High king Skyrim None of these ideas came from Bugthesda, they came from small groups or individuals that loved to write fan fiction for skyrim, who happen to also be good at scripting, I'd say better then the team at BGS.
Let's put it this way: Skyrim's popularity goes back to Oblivion, which skyrocketed Bethesda to mainstream popularity on the back of the Xbox 360. Zero mod support or abilities, massive success. Same for Fallout 3. While the PC gaming resurgence may have led to higher sales of Skyrim on our beloved platform I doubt at the end of the day modders are anywhere CLOSE to non-modders in overall percentage of players, because of consoles and people like me who don't really use mods beyond stuff like source ports (I have never even heard of the mods you're mentioning).

The sooner people get it through their heads that massive chunks of mainstream gaming audiences love Bethesda games because of what they are the better. Your "Bugthesda har har" joke betrays your bias, which I see all over PC forums toward Bethesda for whatever reason (reminds me of "Micro$oft har har") but it's a passionate few who bash them like this. Not rare on the GOG forum sadly to see older gamers bashing what's popular because it gives them warm fuzzies I guess.
tinyE: better, Fallout 3 or NV? I have stumbled upon very dissenting opinions here.
I leaning toward NV and then #3.
I think, for the most part, that the split will be almost down the lines for the individual's preference for Fallout 2 or Fallout 3 (or 4). If you liked the originals better than the new 3D stuff, you'll probably like NV better than 3. OTOH, if you like the first-ish person perspective and generally faster pace of 3 and 4, you won't like New Vegas as much. Almost everyone I've talked to matches that pattern.
So now that Interplay doesn't has the rights to a Fallout MMO, Bethesda is making one. They can keep it. I'm sure it will be some sort of either Battle Royale crap or some grindfest. I want neither,.
StingingVelvet: Let's put it this way: Skyrim's popularity goes back to Oblivion,

I doubt at the end of the day modders are anywhere CLOSE to non-modders in overall percentage of players,
If you think it goes back to Oblivion, then it definitely goes back to Morrowind. Morrowind was the big jump from Arena/Daggerfall. Bethesda was already mainstream popular from Morrowind thanks to the not-360 XBOX. (Morrowind sold significantly more copies than Oblivion, so it's not like Bethesda was languishing in obscurity to make TES4).

And your argument there is factually correct but facile and nonsense - of course modders are a tiny percent of the population of players. But a very sizable minority of players play because mods will be available, thanks to the modders. And most of the long tail is either from GOTY repacks or pickups when people see what the game could eventually be.
OneFiercePuppy: I think, for the most part, that the split will be almost down the lines for the individual's preference for Fallout 2 or Fallout 3 (or 4). If you liked the originals better than the new 3D stuff, you'll probably like NV better than 3. OTOH, if you like the first-ish person perspective and generally faster pace of 3 and 4, you won't like New Vegas as much. Almost everyone I've talked to matches that pattern.
I'd be the exception to that rule. While I really liked the original 2 Fallouts, I also loved 3 and NV. And I'm currently having a blast with 4. NV is fantastic though.
screw it not worth the effort to debate with people like you, disagree with some one and you low rate their posts I'm done on GoG
Post edited June 04, 2018 by Dejavous
GR00T: I'd be the exception to that rule. While I really liked the original 2 Fallouts, I also loved 3 and NV. And I'm currently having a blast with 4.
^5. Ditto. Yet, that settlement BS in 4 is such a waste of time. Good thing it can be largely ignored.
Post edited June 04, 2018 by Mr.Mumbles
StingingVelvet: Dude their games are huge on console and I bet a lot less PC players mod than you think. This idea that Bethesda games are only popular because of mods is silly.
Dejavous: do you really think a 6 year old game would hold anyones attention like Skyrim has without mods? It's ONLY because of mods skyrim is still a game people play without the numerous fixes or added content skyrim would have died out in it's 3rd year, but a modder brought out forgotten city and people flocked back to skyrim, when that slowed down along came Beyond skyrim Bruma and becoming High king Skyrim None of these ideas came from Bugthesda, they came from small groups or individuals that loved to write fan fiction for skyrim, who happen to also be good at scripting, I'd say better then the team at BGS.
hmm... I play Skyrim and Fallout NV every now and then, and Fallout I have never moded, for Skyrim I only use two mods (Glowing ore mines and Bandolier). I have both always installed on my PC, and got god knows how many hours on each. Never had any problems with either of them, really, I found them very stable and playable games.
Thank you for all your ratings. I realized there was little in agreement. Why was I surprised with it?

BTW, are there any thoughts on something called the "Fallout Restoration Project"? Are there mods recommended for the old Fallouts?
I think this is the sort of information I wished GOG Wiki provided up-to-date.
GR00T: I'd be the exception to that rule. While I really liked the original 2 Fallouts, I also loved 3 and NV. And I'm currently having a blast with 4.
Mr.Mumbles: ^5. Ditto. Yet, that settlement BS in 4 is such a waste of time. Good thing it can be largely ignored.
Yep. I'm doing just that (ignoring the settlement building). Tried it out and found it far too tedious for my tastes, so just decided to forget about it.
OneFiercePuppy: If you think it goes back to Oblivion, then it definitely goes back to Morrowind. Morrowind was the big jump from Arena/Daggerfall. Bethesda was already mainstream popular from Morrowind thanks to the not-360 XBOX. (Morrowind sold significantly more copies than Oblivion, so it's not like Bethesda was languishing in obscurity to make TES4).
Where did you read that Morrowind sold more than Oblivion? Morrowind sold well and all, and is my favorite game of all time, but it's insanely obvious Oblivion was a bigger mainstream hit that catapulted them to a different league. Each game after that sold even more, with a large console focus. No mods on consoles. People just love the games.

People who mod the hell out of Bethesda games always act like that's the only way to play them, I've seen this over and over, but it's really not. I don't know how else to say it.

Dejavous: screw it not worth the effort to debate with people like you, disagree with some one and you low rate their posts I'm done on GoG
Not sure who you're talking to but I never down-voted anything. Was curious to read your reply. Oh well.
Post edited June 04, 2018 by StingingVelvet
StingingVelvet: Let's put it this way: Skyrim's popularity goes back to Oblivion, which skyrocketed Bethesda to mainstream popularity on the back of the Xbox 360. Zero mod support or abilities, massive success. Same for Fallout 3. While the PC gaming resurgence may have led to higher sales of Skyrim on our beloved platform I doubt at the end of the day modders are anywhere CLOSE to non-modders in overall percentage of players, because of consoles and people like me who don't really use mods beyond stuff like source ports (I have never even heard of the mods you're mentioning).

The sooner people get it through their heads that massive chunks of mainstream gaming audiences love Bethesda games because of what they are the better. Your "Bugthesda har har" joke betrays your bias, which I see all over PC forums toward Bethesda for whatever reason (reminds me of "Micro$oft har har") but it's a passionate few who bash them like this. Not rare on the GOG forum sadly to see older gamers bashing what's popular because it gives them warm fuzzies I guess.
Well, this backlash or bias as you put it must have roots in something. It can't show up out of thin air. Not everyone can be pleased, that's for sure, so having a group (or several) opposed to one's viewpoint(s) is inevitable.
However, some folk fail to spot the difference between constructive or logical criticism and destructive or critical criticism. Read hundreds of opinions and threads these past years on different forums. A common question is "Why do people dislike Fallout 3 (so much)?". Can you guess some of the answers? "It's not isometric anymore", "They're throwing temper tantrums", "They don't like change", etc.
I was actually not bothered with their shift from isometric to first person. What actually irks me is the writing. Which in turn affects not only the dialogue and character development, but also the world design. Think about Shady Sands and Megaton. Or try to compare characters such as Marcus and Joanne Lynette with Moira Brown or Preston Garvey. While the first two games boast a rich, well developed cast and proper locations, 3 and 4 come up mostly with one-dimensional characters and uninspired locations.
The dialogue in Fallout 3 is of very bad quality at times. Fallout 4 also suffers in this regard.
Also, I absolutely despise the amount of fetch or go-kill-loot-retrieve quests in Fallout 4. For example, some settlers will complain about being attacked by creatures (be it ghouls, mutants or whatever) and send you across the map to deal with the situation. Moreover, developing certain areas/locations seems unrewarding. In other words, dealing with settlements and settlers is extremely annoying and ultimately boring.
Won't go into details regarding the dialogue system. We can all agree it was very poor. Todd Howard said "it didn't work as well" as other features. Yet the game sold well. Apparently better than Skyrim. And at the end of the day, that's all that matters. To Bethesda that is.
I gave them the benefit of the doubt when Fallout 3 came out. After all, it was their first attempt.
Really hoped they'd improve and learn from their mistakes. They had 7 years. Alas, Fallout 4 was a disappointment.
And as long as the same people are in charge, we're going to get the same thing over and over again. So why bother anymore?
Post edited June 05, 2018 by patrikc
patrikc: Well, this backlash or bias as you put it must have roots in something. It can't show up out of thin air. Not everyone can be pleased, that's for sure, so having a group (or several) opposed to one's viewpoint(s) in inevitable.
However, some folk fail to spot the difference between constructive or logical criticism and destructive or critical criticism. Read hundreds of opinions and threads these past years on different forums. A common question is "Why do people dislike Fallout 3 (so much)?". Can you guess some of the answers? "It's not isometric anymore", "They're throwing temper tantrums", "They don't like change", etc.
I was actually not bothered with their shift from isometric to first person. What actually irks me is the writing.
The writing is complete garbage in Oblivion and Fallout 3. A lot of the people responsible for Morrowind's writing and lore left the company, plus Bethesda were focusing on other things mainly related to presentation on the new consoles (like full voice-over and no fog). I'm right up there with people who complain about this, and think Fallout: New Vegas was a ten times better game. Skyrim and FO4 in my opinion improved the writing but not quite to Obsidian standards, but still are more fun because of it.

Anyway, I get the old-school PC gamer anger at Bethesda sometimes, don't get me wrong. I just don't like it when people let their anger cloud their judgment on facts. The idea that people only play "crappy Bethesda games" because of mods is completely silly when those games sell millions and millions of copies on consoles where there are no mods, and when they've obtained mainstream enough status that I saw ads for Fallout 4 in subways and on billboards all over town. People just love the games, it is what it is. Maybe not you, or Dejavous, but millions of people.