It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
tinyE: Okay so there has been an amendment to the COC
Telika: it's a gaming forum.

I like to think that the amendment starts with "Roll a dice..."
And I agree with you and everything you said about the way myself (and a few others) have been acting, I'm just a little pissed right now and I haven't had my coffee.
Vainamoinen: And what I'm getting from tired old fronzelneekburm is of course all the known territory of frenzied ostracism attempts, personal attacks
You're one paranoid puppy, Vaina. If I were an armchair psychologist, I'd wager a guess that this is where your inherent desire to control others' speech stems from.

As for the alleged ostracism: I'm not the one flooding moderation with incessant requests to close x, delete y or ban z.
low rated
Vainamoinen: But, as has been demonstrated e.g. yesterday, attempts to overtly influence these decisions by way of breaching the peace will have the contrary effect. Make no mistake, I think the infowars thread should be closed this minute. But to demand closure by way of deliberate insult means that this goal was tainted, and I would even understand if right now that is impossible. :|
First, These propaganda threads are insulted (and asked to be removed) from the very beginning. GOG would not have found a "peaceful moment" to remove it "as if it wouldn't relieve anyone else".

Then, GOG was explicitely asking people to "report" CoC breaches instead of self moderating, so, of course they'd get demands. Choosing to act only when not looking influenced by demands would kinda defeat their "report instead of posting" query.

Then, I think that most of the angry reaction posts come from people whose higher expectations were disappointed (in my view, expectations may be mourned, but raging about them is indeed pointless). Point is, if GOG was applying its CoC, there wouldn't be an issue of too many people asking GOG to apply the CoC, and therefore making it awkward for GOG to apply the CoC.

Then, if GOG was applying its CoC selectively based on how it would look at a given time, or on whether too many people demand it too harshly, it's still a very "tainted" moderation, grounded of [fear of] forumers feedback instead of independant evaluation. It would be caving in to pressure one way or the other. If anything, I find it more charitable to assume that GOG applies its own standards when spotting a polemical post or thread, instead of playing wine-in-front-of-you with forumer interpretations.

Bottom line, the issue, for me, is only with people's expectations. It's about dealing accordingly with the whole reality of GOG's CoC (rules and their actual applications), instead of demanding this reality to change.

The only spike I noticed was a spike of respect for GOG. I think that re-lowering it would paradoxically reduce the drama, by reducing these associated expectations.

When in Rome, etc.

In short, maybe GOG should be flattered by angry people "caring too much" for their forum (and for their image of GOG). But I think that the healthiest, and most peaceful, reaction is to accept it how it is, even if it means caring much less. The forum is in the mod's hands now, let it be exactly as shitty as they mean it to be. If they mean it to be infowars-level of shitty, let it be it and turn the page. No forumgoer will rewrite it.
Post edited March 24, 2017 by Telika
low rated
fronzelneekburm: If I were an armchair psychologist
"Were"? I mean, armchair psychology is literally the way you frame most of your personal attacks on me as.

I assure you, my prior education in psychology is way better than yours though. It's just that I'm not practicing. Because I know what it does to people not trained to immediately see through it, I know what sole motivation is behind it, and I know on what level it can be practiced on an internet forum: on the level of astrology, basically. You're peddling horoscopes in hopes people would see themselves in them.

Telika: Then, I think that most of the angry reaction posts come from people whose higher expectations were disappointed (in my view, expectations may be mourned, but raging about them is indeed pointless). Point is, if GOG was applying its CoC, there wouldn't be an issue of too many people asking GOG to apply the CoC, and therefore making it awkward for GOG to apply the CoC.
I'm all with you concerning reports. Fully and completely. You see a transgression, for god's sake report it. Don't ever listen to the whining people who are purposefully insinuating you're back seat driving moderation with it. You don't. You're communicating an opinion that had better be convincing to the moderator. But a report is just that, and a demand is quite a different thing. Also, I absolutely see most of your points concerning a possibly oscillating level of CoC enforcement based on "how it looks". But here's the rub, I think that's, to a degree, a necessary consideration. :(
Post edited March 24, 2017 by Vainamoinen
low rated
Looks like they're listening after all. I suppose the hint to those who were complaining is: "have a little faith and a little patience. We hear you.".
Post edited March 24, 2017 by Erpy
low rated
Erpy: Looks like they're listening after all. I suppose the hint to those who were complaining is: "have a little faith and a little patience. We hear you.".
I'm pretty sure without the complaining it would not have happened. Still, I'm very happy to see that one way or the other, it did happen. Finally the forum is no longer being used to spread misinformation and propaganda. Finally it can be again the good place it once was.
high rated
Erpy: Looks like they're listening after all. I suppose the hint to those who were complaining is: "have a little faith and a little patience. We hear you.".
Breja: I'm pretty sure without the complaining it would not have happened. Still, I'm very happy to see that one way or the other, it did happen. Finally the forum is no longer being used to spread misinformation and propaganda. Finally it can be again the good place it once was.
I tried really hard to fight the urge to comment on this, but I can't let this go. If you think that it takes perpetual complaining for a thread to be locked, you're very much mistaken. It takes a single report to look into things and to take them seriously. It would be very much appreciated if everyone stopped jumping to conclusions and spreading their own opinions dressed as "this is what GOG staff think" if something that they think should be done isn't done within a day or two or a few. To put this simply - if I don't act immediately, it does NOT mean I don't care or take things seriously enough. And as of now, I'm quitting always trying to justify my decisions to you. I did so out of respect for transparency, but if anything it came back to bite me.
low rated
Breja: I'm pretty sure without the complaining it would not have happened. Still, I'm very happy to see that one way or the other, it did happen. Finally the forum is no longer being used to spread misinformation and propaganda. Finally it can be again the good place it once was.
fables22: I tried really hard to fight the urge to comment on this, but I can't let this go. If you think that it takes perpetual complaining for a thread to be locked, you're very much mistaken. It takes a single report to look into things and to take them seriously. It would be very much appreciated if everyone stopped jumping to conclusions and spreading their own opinions dressed as "this is what GOG staff think" if something that they think should be done isn't done within a day or two or a few. To put this simply - if I don't act immediately, it does NOT mean I don't care or take things seriously enough. And as of now, I'm quitting always trying to justify my decisions to you. I did so out of respect for transparency, but if anything it came back to bite me.
I'm sorry. I only said what I did because that was the honest-to-god impression that I got, since you yourself cited numerous reports in thread-closing post. I apparently misunderstood the situation.

Note:Before anyone gets the wrong idea- this post is entirely sarcasm free.
Post edited March 24, 2017 by Breja
Mmm. Hopefully this recent thread closure doesn't come back to bite everyone. Between the GG thread that was getting increasingly political and the infowars one that was very obviously political, it'd be easy for those of a certain political inclination to start feeling a little targeted, even if that's not actually the case. Not sure the potential positives of this are enough to balance out the potential negatives, but I suppose it'll at least be interesting to see how things play out.
227: Mmm. Hopefully this recent thread closure doesn't come back to bite everyone. Between the GG thread that was getting increasingly political and the infowars one that was very obviously political, it'd be easy for those of a certain political inclination to start feeling a little targeted, even if that's not actually the case. Not sure the potential positives of this are enough to balance out the potential negatives, but I suppose it'll at least be interesting to see how things play out.
The way I see it, the positives are always worth it. As long as it's done as fairly as possible.
227: Mmm. Hopefully this recent thread closure doesn't come back to bite everyone. Between the GG thread that was getting increasingly political and the infowars one that was very obviously political, it'd be easy for those of a certain political inclination to start feeling a little targeted, even if that's not actually the case. Not sure the potential positives of this are enough to balance out the potential negatives, but I suppose it'll at least be interesting to see how things play out.
No need for hope; nobody will get bitten. I think you're probably reading into the 'wild possibilities' a bit much. Sit back and enjoy the good threads, maaaaaaaan. [sorry, I'm not high, I'm just in a VERY good mood]
InfoWars thread got axed?

Personally, I don't pay too much attention to InfoWars, so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
fables22: The way I see it, the positives are always worth it. As long as it's done as fairly as possible.
The real question is if the people who had silently read along with the thread for the most part and felt persecuted before its closure will feel the same way.

Strikes me as a little idealistic, to be perfectly honest. Then again, I'm a pessimist and pretty much everything does. None of us can see bans, so thread closures are the only gauge of fairness and not dogpiling on any specific ideology we ordinary mortals have access to, and it wouldn't take much to twist the high-profile closures into looking like a witch hunt. Or maybe that's just the pessimism talking and everyone will understand and take this in stride.

micktiegs_8: [sorry, I'm not high, I'm just in a VERY good mood]
I know for a fact that you're lying. I'm not stalking you; I'm just a binoculars-in-trees enthusiast.
low rated
Breja: I
fables22: anything it came back to bite me.
Off topic,three times I have asked you via chat and you have refused to tell me.I will ask again the question and it is........Whom do I report your conduct too?
low rated
fronzelneekburm: InfoWars thread got axed?

Personally, I don't pay too much attention to InfoWars, so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Even though you're going ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about the closing of the thread, you nevertheless compare the thread's creator to Charlie Hebdo in your new signature. That's...a little inconsistent, n'est ce pas?