It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Becoming a slightly different beast.

<span class="bold">Armello</span>, the digital tabletop/role-playing/strategy game, has now been updated and renamed to Armello - DRM Free Edition. It includes the latest fixes and updates, plus all these lovely animals who will eagerly stab each other with pointy things in order to become rulers of the land. Oh, and it's 25% off for six days!

This edition is a complete strategic experience and will keep receiving updates that are unrelated to DLCs or online features.

Here's what League of Geeks have to say about it (full version <span class="bold">here</span>):

"We want to ensure that whatever platforms Armello is on, we're providing the best experience that we possibly can. As Armello moves more and more into online services (like Steam inventory and more multiplayer features) and as we begin to roll out our plans for DLC, we've been working closely with GOG on an edition of Armello specific to GOG. [..]
We've had fantastic meetings with GOG about the future of Armello on the platform and although there's no way for us to provide DLC for DRM-Free users or to attempt to retain parity with the Steam version of Armello, Armello DRM-Free Edition will see features that best suit a DRM Free experience. [...]."

Get ready to join this new era of colorful animosity with <span class="bold">Armello DRM-Free Edition</span>, exclusively on GOG.com.
The 25% discount will last until September 5, 9:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/o4e5s28x7Ps
Post edited August 31, 2016 by maladr0Id
high rated
april is over, this joke is kinda late
Irenicus73: The most important DLC in the game is going to be the playable characters.
And they are for the single-player part (too)?

Any idea what could be the reason the developer feels they can release them only on Steam? Are those characters somehow released with Steam Inventory or something, and that is what makes it tricky for them to offer also Steam-free?

I think it is good the developer and GOG at least were clear here that such content will be missing in the GOG version, albeit they did it in an odd way and I understand many might want a refund. It means also for me that I'll then postpone buying this game, probably until they release a DRM-free GOTY version with all relevant single-player content, including such playable characters.

If not, oh well, I guess I will just skip Armello. Fortunately I have lots of other games to choose from.
Post edited August 30, 2016 by timppu
high rated
migizi: Vote it up to the top to avoid this in the future.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/dont_release_gimpedinferior_versions_of_games
timppu: Too vague, I can't vote for that.

For instance, I am fine if the GOG version doesn't have support for achievements or trading cards or in many cases even multiplayer, I am fine having only the single-player part of the game, as long as it is the true meat of the game. It would be shame if all such games were removed from GOG.

I am unsure what to think of Armello, as I am not fully sure what the missing DLC is about (and why it can't be released DRM-free). If it is really gaming content that requires online connection and authentication to play... then I would have been pissed off even if I had bought the Steam version, thinking its single-player part is DRM-free.
It's more like purchasing and trading items like cards for spells, books and stuff that can be earned during turns and/or purchased/sold through Steam Marketplace. LoG wants to further monetize it through digital cruft that we'd all be selling for anywhere from $0.03 to $3.00, with VALVe and LoG taking their cuts. Steam trading cards would also be available (shudder). After having my Steam Inventory cluttered with all kinds of digital junk from Team Fortress 2 and CS:GO that Steam won't allow me to simply give away (the lowest that you can sell an item from your inventory is $0.03), I considered myself done with that mess.

Five years ago I was one of "THEM" and was all for developers who expanded thier titles to incorporate as much Steamworks-related things as possible, but not to this extent. Back then I was absorbed by Steam and VALVE with no thought as to others who were on the "outside looking in" regarding alternative means of gaming. Though my account says I joined in 2015 (I had an old 2011 account that I forgot, so I made a new one) I feel bad for the entire GOG community, purchasers of the game or those who simply wish to not be tied down by DRM of any and all forms.

I had never witnessed an instance in which a developer just flat-out says to the effect of "VALVe is allowing us to monetize our game in ways that CDPR can't ever hope to achieve, so here's the 'best that we can do for Galaxy's limitations' version. Don't look for much in the way of further updates because it's not economically feasible to support two versions - one constantly evolving for those who'll deal with the DRM for the sake of a better experience [and who'll pay us more and more money] and one for the rest of you".

And SERIOUSLY, why in the WORLD would any human being in their right minds retitle the game to PUBLICALLY SHOW that the release is in effect an inferior version? It's a slap in the face to some, and a sucker's game to pull in unknowing players who'll spend thier money on what will be a lesser version. If it's too bothersome to support the GOG version due to Galaxy's limitations, then do the classier thing and announce a removal after one final sale, explaining why both versions can't maintain parity.

Don't dangle a fish line with toxic peices of bait simply because the pond you're fishing in is smaller and has lesser scenery than the large lake with a mountain view right behind you. You'll poison the pond killing the fish simply so that you'll begin tainting the lake.
timppu: I am unsure what to think of Armello, as I am not fully sure what the missing DLC is about (and why it can't be released DRM-free). If it is really gaming content that requires online connection and authentication to play... then I would have been pissed off even if I had bought the Steam version, thinking its single-player part is DRM-free.
Apparently the existing DLC includes 4 new heroes and 4 new rings (one for each clan in the game). A future DLC will contain a new fifth clan.

Rings seem to be perks. The in-game ones are unlocked during play and one can be selected at the start of each new playthrough to buff your hero.

I can't see any reason why any of these things would be incompatible with the DRM-free version. I assume they must be coded to use the Steam Inventory system. I thought the only purpose of that system was to allow people to sell the items they'd earned in-game to other players, but maybe it has wider applications...
Zoidberg: But why should you pay more for the same product? That is a very dangerous behaviour that I cannot get behind.
I have and will pay more for a DRM-free version. Every time somebody posts a review complaining that something costs more here than Steam or a DRM infected bargain bin disk, I rate them unhelpful.

As I said, DRM free is a feature. I will pay for that feature. Actually, my entire computer is DRM free, other than Windows itself, which is a battle I don't feel I can win unless I want to move to Linux. So DRM infected software doesn't exist in my perspective, so I make purchasing decisions based on the price and the value given for that price.
Zoidberg: If Steam versions have the same pricing and more features than their drm free counterparts we should just move back to Steam...

Apparently GOG isn't willing to fight for better DRM Free gaming... why should we?
That's exactly what I'm doing... The last game I bought on GOG was Serpent in the Staglands. I bought it as a gift (not for myself). This was on the 2nd of February. I stopped gifting because I don't want to gift games to trolls, scammers, racists and other scum that is welcomed on GOG's forums. The last game I bought for myself was Morrowind on 25th of December. I have two games left on my GOG wishlist: The Witcher 3 (I have the other two games here and trust GOG with this one - even though they can't even negotiate a flat world wide price with "themselves") and Krynn series (it's not on Steam). I moved the rest of my wishlist to Steam. Fun fact: My GOG account is older than my Steam account and I only bought games on Steam that I couldn't get here.

GOG is pretty much dead to me. DRM free is cool and everything, but... I'm not willing to risk to end up with lots of incomplete, inferior and "abandoned" games on my shelf. And that's not even a problem with newer games only. Just have a look at Postal 2, Knights of the Old Republic 2 or Fahrenheit. Or Sam & Max Save the World (has an almost game breaking bug, where you have to talk to an character that just isn't there). Or Omerta (developer broke it with a patch and refused to fix it, GOG only offered the patched broken installer for download - took them months to offer a user-made patch).

Sorry, but I don't trust GOG anymore. I know, Steam is evil and Steam is DRM and a Steam monopoly is bad and blahblahblah... But Steam (as a DRM) isn't intrusive or annoying. I can play offline whenever I want. I just have to have their stupid client running in the background (with overlay and notifications turned off). Waiting months for patches or games (looking at you, Van Helsing Final Cut) is more annoying than Steam could ever be :(
CharlesGrey: Exactly! I think it's acceptable to sell "inferior versions" of games, but the price should be adjusted accordingly, and the store ( GOG, in this case ) needs to inform their customers about any missing features prior to purchase.

As far as I know, the game was sold here at the same price as on Steam, and without any warnings that GOG owners of the game might miss out on potential future updates. Which is, quite frankly, bullshit.
barleyguy: I actually disagree. DRM Free is an extra feature worth paying extra for, and I have. Not that I EVER compare to Steam, because I don't care what's going on at Steam. I'm not a customer of theirs, or a member of their community, and I get damn tired of every thread at GOG being infected by discussions of what's going on over there.

In short, screw Steam. Stuff is often cheaper on Steam, because they have different sales. The price over there is about as relevant to the price on GOG as the price of rice in China. (Or pussy in Taipei, as the original saying goes.)
Sure, it's an extra Feature, but for what price? You will not receive any DLCs they might release in the future. Then you have no multiplayer, which kills it for me. IMHO a very bad trade for a DRM-Free version.
zlep: Not that I'm happy about this, but to be fair other games have done exactly the same thing in the past. Release a game on GOG but only provide updates to Steam. Armello's sin here is in telling us first that we're going to be ignored...
Zoidberg: Well that is a good thing, transparency. Maybe next time let's not pitifully try to mask it as positive.
Are you kidding! This is "Good News" GOG. They're just trying to fit in. ^_^
TodaysLoneWolf: It's more like purchasing and trading items like cards for spells, books and stuff that can be earned during turns and/or purchased/sold through Steam Marketplace. LoG wants to further monetize it through digital cruft that we'd all be selling for anywhere from $0.03 to $3.00, with VALVe and LoG taking their cuts.
Oh, I see. That can't be on GOG because it doesn't have enough scamming opportunities.

Trevor Martin and Tom Cassell would be VERY annoyed! :)
TodaysLoneWolf: It's more like purchasing and trading items like cards for spells, books and stuff that can be earned during turns and/or purchased/sold through Steam Marketplace. LoG wants to further monetize it through digital cruft that we'd all be selling for anywhere from $0.03 to $3.00, with VALVe and LoG taking their cuts.
If that is what it is all about, then I am happy I don't have the Steam version either.

Yeah I also see those constant "So who wants to trade?" questions while playing TeamFortress 2, and my normal response to it is "Your mama wanted to trade when you were born.". Just today two persons wanted to trade something with me, K for no. Yeah I have some shit which has accumulated to my already full TF2 inventory.
Irenicus73: I was really hoping that this was going to be an announcement that they had reconsidered their earlier stance and had decided to add proper local multiplayer into the game. Even if someone were alright with being shafted on future DLC in this release, it's not likely to get proper, offline multiplayer, from what the devs were saying on their own forums:

"Hey there!

LAN support is not super important in this day and age - meaning that the vast majority of people will have access to an adequate internet connection without relying on local network. Considering this is probably one of 3 requests I've ever seen for this feature for Armello, we really can't justify implementing it.

<snip>

From what I understand, you currently need to get a "room code" and connect online to play what is essentially a multiplayer board game with a person right next to you. This game had so much potential, and I'm really disappointed in the direction the DRM-free release has gone.
I don't agree with this. In most games I don't care about multiplayer, but this is different. Games where you are probably primarily going to play online or with friends, being able to play LAN is critical. It used to be a standard.

And is it really so hard to add a single IP address input line, or a IPX/UDP/local scan for games in the same network? It's probably something like 10 lines of code and 1 window since it's just a matter of making the connection, everything else is already in place!
real.geizterfahr: GOG is pretty much dead to me. DRM free is cool and everything, but... I'm not willing to risk to end up with lots of incomplete, inferior and "abandoned" games on my shelf.
Instead, you traded it for the risk of losing your whole game shelf when the service of your choice becomes defunct. Yes, also Steam, especially now with Windows Store increasingly being the default store front for most people in Windows 10.

Actually that will happen already before the whole service becomes defunct, if and when the client drops support for an older version of Windows that some of your games may require. Then you have no option to run such games in the older Windows version (even in a virtual machine) because the client will not allow it.
Post edited August 30, 2016 by timppu
real.geizterfahr: GOG is pretty much dead to me. DRM free is cool and everything, but... I'm not willing to risk to end up with lots of incomplete, inferior and "abandoned" games on my shelf. And that's not even a problem with newer games only. Just have a look at Postal 2, Knights of the Old Republic 2 or Fahrenheit. Or Sam & Max Save the World (has an almost game breaking bug, where you have to talk to an character that just isn't there). Or Omerta (developer broke it with a patch and refused to fix it, GOG only offered the patched broken installer for download - took them months to offer a user-made patch).
At the risk of steering off-topic - what are the problems with KOTOR 2 and Fahrenheit? I haven't noticed any issues with the GOG versions.
high rated
timppu: And they are for the single-player part (too)?

Any idea what could be the reason the developer feels they can release them only on Steam? Are those characters somehow released with Steam Inventory or something, and that is what makes it tricky for them to offer also Steam-free?
Yeah, the characters are all usable in single player. It doesn't really have any kind of special campaign or anything...it's just skirmish mode against computers if you are playing alone. So, there's no real story or anything. You're just playing a board game with Ai, and that's your single-player experience. Fun for a while, but having that human element is pretty important in a game like this, definitely.

Well, the heroes and the rings come as part of a purchasable pack for what shows as $10 Canadian for me on Steam. So, you can get those without any of the hassle of the micro-transactions and such. A bit pricey for what it contains, but then it might just be inflated for me, so someone else would have to confirm the USD price.

Separate from that, the steam version seems to have some sort of chest/key system, which contain different skins for the game's dice, I think? The page explaining what the chest/key micro-transaction system is about is a giant mess.

I can ignore things like missing dice skins, and I certainly don't want micro-transactions in the game, but missing out on the proper, paid DLC involving playable characters is a bit much.
Attachments:
Post edited August 31, 2016 by Irenicus73
real.geizterfahr: GOG is pretty much dead to me. DRM free is cool and everything, but... I'm not willing to risk to end up with lots of incomplete, inferior and "abandoned" games on my shelf. And that's not even a problem with newer games only. Just have a look at Postal 2, Knights of the Old Republic 2 or Fahrenheit. Or Sam & Max Save the World (has an almost game breaking bug, where you have to talk to an character that just isn't there). Or Omerta (developer broke it with a patch and refused to fix it, GOG only offered the patched broken installer for download - took them months to offer a user-made patch).
developer treating customers like shit happens on Steam as well. And Valve does care even less.
If you go to Steam and reward the developers for such behavior by giving them your money on Steam, what do you expect to change? Blame the devs, they are responsible for this -> don't give them money. That's the only thing that will make an impact.

I am not sure how much power/influence GOG actually has to strong-arm the developer to fix their shit.