It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

dtgreene: It's worth noting that there are many ways to escape the city (one of which is only possible on New Game +)
yogsloth: Haha, I think I know which one this is. The direct route?
No. I'll give you a hint: It involves the use of a certain mandatory spell (that is required to beat the game), but you can't find that spell in Purgatory, hence the need for New Game +.

(I suspect killing the guards with new characters might be feasible if you give everyone a few points in Fistfighting, which is actually a pretty good skill, even if it loses its usefulness later on.)
Dessimu: You may try Drakensang or Drakensang: The River of TIme games.
I second them; great games!
Green_Hilltop: Sounds fun, which one would you recommend playing first?
The River of Time is the prequel to Drakensang and that's what i also recommend to play first. Let me mention that i own the retail DVD version of "Drakensang Saga" which doesn't require Steam or any other online authentication (on the box it says that Steam is required though) and includes both games plus the expansion. Maybe it is still available somewhere, though do your own research in case something was changed on the way. ;)
My suggestions:

Two Worlds (2007)
https://www.gog.com/game/two_worlds
Two Worlds II (2010)
https://www.gog.com/game/two_worlds_2_epic_edition
Dragon Age: Origins (2009)
https://www.gog.com/game/dragon_age_origins
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (2015/2016)
https://www.gog.com/game/dragons_dogma_dark_arisen
How about Kingdom Come: Deliverance? I have not played it, but I remember from the time around the release that there are several skills to unlock. You even need to learn how to read in order to use books.

It's fairly new, and open-world, so plenty of places to explore.
Post edited November 28, 2018 by Caesar.
I think UnderRail might fit the bill, if you're down with 2d games.
Here.
I might add more info later about it. I really like the game.
Not on GOG:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Argue if you will if it isn't an a RPG or not, but the Zelda franchise can be largely credited with the sense of awesome exploration that exists in games today. Breath of the Wild brings it back into a full fold, in a vast, densely packed world.
(Especially considering the hot liniar mess that was Skyward Sword.)
On GOG:

Anything by Jeff Vogel. (Avernum, Geneforge, Exile, et al.) Jeff is an industry veteran, and considering the games he created were initially Ultima inspired, he's managed to create a world filled with rather original plots and lands to explore. (Albeit mostly gray because that's caves for ya.) Even in the demos of his games, the worlds cover vast swathes and distances, with plenty of things to do between there and here. Just for example, every location on this map can be visited in the first game. (The second game has a politically complicated situation known as an invasion.)

Each game also tends to introduce new locales to explore and visit as well. Handwaved as both excavations and cavequakes.
If you'd be willing to look beyond the RPG genre, the best exploration game I've played recently is The Witness. No stats, no story, just a huge island to explore, and a few hundred puzzles to find and solve :)

And yet, that feeling where you can't solve something just yet and have to come back later is very much present - but this time, this is not about an arbitrary number in your character sheet (usually increased by grinding), but about your own skill. The game early on presents you with puzzles you will not know how to break, because the rules are explained in some other place in the island. So, you got to find these, then come back and finally get this or that door open. Might sound boring at first, but actually feels really rewarding if you're willing to spend the time.
For what it's worth, Balrum. RPGs like this reward you for exploring. Pretty much anything these days reward it, really.
Dessimu: You may try Drakensang or Drakensang: The River of TIme games. I remember being swept into the story and trying to squeeze myself into every available nook and cranny. Many times I would find myself in the exact situation like you described: where I found a chest, couldn't unlock it, went to get experience to upgrade my ability. Though in doing so, I found so many more interesting places and things that sometimes I would forget to go back to the said chest. Games are very beautiful, but you may find the gameplay to involve many generic "go there, fetch that" quests. It's a lot of leg work. But exploration is rewarding. You find yourself at the entrance to the forest, you are eager to rush in, yet you know that you may not be ready yet to face the horrors. What do you do? Risk it, or play it safe?

Unfortunately, those games are not here, on GOG.

Edit: they are not turn based.
Well, as a result of this post, this showed up in my mail box today - $7CDN from Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation.
Attachments:
Green_Hilltop: I'm looking for RPGs that give you the sense of exploration, what's behind that corner/nook feeling, just like Hero-U has - you discover a locked chest or a suspicious lock somewhere, but you need to improve your lockpicking, in the meantime while training to improve it you find another secret passage, and there's all sorts of things to discover all the time. So you go from one secret passage to another and you continue being surprised at what you find.

What games give you this feeling of exploration like Hero-U does?

I've played Quest for Glory, Baldur's Gate and other Bioware/Black Isle games, as well as Troika, so I know about the Infinity Engine and Arcanum/Fallout games. Edit: And the Elder Scrolls games.

I'm not sure if D:OS is like this or if I would like the story, since I disliked the dialogue in DD1.
Avernum Escape from the pit came out in 2012, but its a remake of an older game.
hummer010: Well, as a result of this post, this showed up in my mail box today - $7CDN from Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation.
Hahah, nice! I am getting an urge myself to play them again now. Really enjoyed character creation, always a well mannered and kind hearted thief :D Happy gaming!
Dessimu: Hahah, nice! I am getting an urge myself to play them again now. Really enjoyed character creation, always a well mannered and kind hearted thief :D Happy gaming!
So far? Pretty fun. I've only managed an hour, but it's been lots of fun. It's DRM free off the DVD, and it works very well using WINE - only the videos won't work.

Thanks for the suggestion!
kohlrak: For what it's worth, Balrum. RPGs like this reward you for exploring. Pretty much anything these days reward it, really.
I had so much hope for this one.
But the game system underlying is... Crap IMHO.

Is that kind of game where you start as a wolking dead (D&D wizard syndrome): even the insect in the bushes 1m behind your house will kill you in 2 hits.
Then you have 800 hit points...

I was so annoyed that I even hidden the game in my library XD
hummer010: So far? Pretty fun.
I am also downloading them now. Getting some free long evenings. Never played Phileasson's Secret before. And out of the two, I remember liking River of Time better. Will try to play games in order of their events this time.
Green_Hilltop: ...
I'm not sure if D:OS is like this or if I would like the story, since I disliked the dialogue in DD1.
Divinity: Original Sin? Hmm... How to put it - I enjoyed Divine Divinity 1... We might have different tastes...

D:OS has plenty of exploration, rich colourful lands, huge amount of NPCs to meet, all kinds of spells to learn, many small and big secrets to uncover, some puzzles (many of them in sidequests) and quite a bit of funny dialogue...
In my opinion it is one of the best RPGs ever made... To me it was better than Baldur's Gates, somewhere up there with Fallout 1 and 2. But then again, I'm a bit odd :)
The game is maybe less "open-world" than Witcher 3, since when you start, quite a lot of it is locked away, and then it takes some while to unlock it... But it is a large game, that allows you to explore in all directions later on, only hindered by the monsters that are too tough when you haven't leveled up enough.

I just finished Dishonored... I wouldn't call that a game that allows large scale exploring... The game has a certain amount of missions, you play them in a certain order... But there are many ways to complete missions and indulge into side missions as one pleases... And the things you do can affect how the future missions play out. A good game, but a bit linear.

Have you played Pillars of Eternity? That actually is quite a trip, especially with the expansions.
You get a "base" that you can upgrade, there are so many little and big paths to take...
Personally it was a bit too exploratory for me, I completed it but gave up on the White March expansion (that you need to solve before you finish the main quest, it seems...)
I don't know how the sequel plays out, but at least it has received some praise from gamers, as well.
Post edited December 09, 2018 by superstande