It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm looking for RPGs that give you the sense of exploration, what's behind that corner/nook feeling, just like Hero-U has - you discover a locked chest or a suspicious lock somewhere, but you need to improve your lockpicking, in the meantime while training to improve it you find another secret passage, and there's all sorts of things to discover all the time. So you go from one secret passage to another and you continue being surprised at what you find.

What games give you this feeling of exploration like Hero-U does?

I've played Quest for Glory, Baldur's Gate and other Bioware/Black Isle games, as well as Troika, so I know about the Infinity Engine and Arcanum/Fallout games. Edit: And the Elder Scrolls games.

I'm not sure if D:OS is like this or if I would like the story, since I disliked the dialogue in DD1.
Post edited November 27, 2018 by Green_Hilltop
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
I actually don't know Hero-U, but what about the classic open world games like TES, FO3/NV, Gothic/Riven or even Witcher 3? Or even more classic the Ultima series? There's really a lot to explore and discover in these games.

In Witcher 3 you may want to disable "POIs visible on map" for that sense of exploration - then they will only show up on the map if you stumble across them, or (which is very cool) if they are mentioned in conversations between NPCs - so eavesdropping is often really worth it.
You may try Drakensang or Drakensang: The River of TIme games. I remember being swept into the story and trying to squeeze myself into every available nook and cranny. Many times I would find myself in the exact situation like you described: where I found a chest, couldn't unlock it, went to get experience to upgrade my ability. Though in doing so, I found so many more interesting places and things that sometimes I would forget to go back to the said chest. Games are very beautiful, but you may find the gameplay to involve many generic "go there, fetch that" quests. It's a lot of leg work. But exploration is rewarding. You find yourself at the entrance to the forest, you are eager to rush in, yet you know that you may not be ready yet to face the horrors. What do you do? Risk it, or play it safe?

Unfortunately, those games are not here, on GOG.

Edit: they are not turn based.
Post edited November 27, 2018 by Dessimu
toxicTom: I actually don't know Hero-U, but what about the classic open world games like TES, FO3/NV, Gothic/Riven or even Witcher 3? Or even more classic the Ultima series? There's really a lot to explore and discover in these games.

In Witcher 3 you may want to disable "POIs visible on map" for that sense of exploration - then they will only show up on the map if you stumble across them, or (which is very cool) if they are mentioned in conversations between NPCs - so eavesdropping is often really worth it.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the TES games and Fallout games fall under the Bioware/Troika games for me (although FNV was by Obsidian). I didn't like Witcher 1, can't run 3 and Ultima isn't the kind of game I'm looking for - I tried U4, but that is just too old for me (same goes for the Goldbox games except the 1st person dungeon crawlers, however I do enjoy blobber/dungeon crawlers like Might and Magic. But the first MM and Ultima 1-8 (9 seems fine) are just too antiquated for me, I'd prefer something like MM6-9, TES III+ or the IE games (Baldur's Gate and so on).
Dessimu: You may try Drakensang or Drakensang: The River of TIme games. Turn based RPGs. I remember being swept into the story and trying to squeeze myself into every available nook and cranny. Many times I would find myself in the exact situation like you described: where I found a chest, couldn't unlock it, went to get experience to upgrade my ability. Though in doing so, I found so many more interesting places and things that sometimes I would forget to go back to the said chest. Games are very beautiful, but you may find the gameplay to involve many generic "go there, fetch that" quests. It's a lot of leg work. But exploration is rewarding. You find yourself at the entrance to the forest, you are eager to rush in, yet you know that you may not be ready yet to face the horrors. What do you do? Risk it, or play it safe?

Unfortunately, those games are not here, on GOG.
Sounds fun, which one would you recommend playing first? Or if I had time only for one, which is the better experience? Preferably the one with the more cheerful story out of the two? I played Realms of Arkania 3, so I'm a bit familiar with the system/world! :)
Post edited November 27, 2018 by Green_Hilltop
Green_Hilltop: Sounds fun, which one would you recommend playing first? Or if I had time only for one, which is the better experience? Preferably the one with the more cheerful story out of the two? I played Realms of Arkania 3, so I'm a bit familiar with the system/world! :)
I have to correct one mistake I said: it's not turn based. Combat requires some strategy to succeed with minimal casualties. I remembered now pausing a lot during tougher combats which almost felt like being turn based. Both games are old by now. Drakensang is from 2009 and The River of Time is from 2011. On the bright side, they both are cheap. And they are beautiful. Personally, I would suggest to play The River of Time if you have time just for one game.
Green_Hilltop: I'm looking for RPGs that give you the sense of exploration, what's behind that corner/nook feeling, just like Hero-U has - you discover a locked chest or a suspicious lock somewhere, but you need to improve your lockpicking, in the meantime while training to improve it you find another secret passage, and there's all sorts of things to discover all the time. So you go from one secret passage to another and you continue being surprised at what you find.

I've played Quest for Glory, Baldur's Gate and other Bioware/Black Isle games, as well as Troika, so I know about the Infinity Engine and Arcanum/Fallout games. Edit: And the Elder Scrolls games.

I'm not sure if D:OS is like this or if I would like the story, since I disliked the dialogue in DD1.
It's an action RPG, but Grim Dawn rewards you for thouroghly searching every area in the game.
Expeditions: Conquistador and Expeditions: Viking are heavily themed around exploration & discovery. On both occasions you're a foreigner in a strange land. Befriend/kill the locals, learn about their culture, explore hidden temples and mystical forests, find ancient treasure, and make an impact on famous historical events.
So what are we talking about here?

stealth games may be the ticket, such as Dishonored or the Styx: Master of shadows games. lots of exploration and choice

there are some very good exploration games from the left field, for example Trailmakers

or other open world RPG's such as Risen or Two Worlds II.

There are also off course games like Dead Island which may fit the bill. Or even Borderlands franchise
Legend Of Grimrock

Legend Of Grimrock 2

Vaporum
(None of these games qualify as 2012+, however)

On GOG:

Dragon Wars

Not on GOG:

Dragon Quest 1-3 and 6 (later games in the series don't seem to have as much of an exploration focus as the early ones, also note that, for 3, the SFC and GBC vesions are better than the more recent smartphone release, also note that the NES version of 1 is what people these days seem to like to use the term "grindy" for) (Note that 1-3 were originally released in the US under the title Dragon Warrior)

Also, while it doesn't qualify as an RPG to me, but is sometimes grouped in that category:

The Legend of Zelda (NES)
Green_Hilltop: I'm looking for RPGs that give you the sense of exploration, what's behind that corner/nook feeling, just like Hero-U has - you discover a locked chest or a suspicious lock somewhere, but you need to improve your lockpicking, in the meantime while training to improve it you find another secret passage, and there's all sorts of things to discover all the time. So you go from one secret passage to another and you continue being surprised at what you find.

West of Loathing! Seriously. Don't disregard it because of its graphics.

If all you're looking for is exploration and you don't like dialogue than Fallout 76 sounds like it would be for you.
dtgreene: (None of these games qualify as 2012+, however)

On GOG:

Dragon Wars
Once again, the one major thing dtgreene and I see eye-to-eye on.

Dragon Wars is the first RPG that came to my mind. If you can tolerate the ancient interface, it's a very open world (after you solve the first problem of escaping the city) with lots of nooks and crannies. Tons of optional things to do and find.

Leroux: West of Loathing! Seriously. Don't disregard it because of its graphics.
Also this. Truly fantastic game. I'm *pretty* sure I got all the crazy robo facilities working properly... but I'm still not *completely* sure! :)
Post edited November 27, 2018 by yogsloth
dtgreene: (None of these games qualify as 2012+, however)

On GOG:

Dragon Wars
yogsloth: Once again, the one major thing dtgreene and I see eye-to-eye on.

Dragon Wars is the first RPG that came to my mind. If you can tolerate the ancient interface, it's a very open world (after you solve the first problem of escaping the city) with lots of nooks and crannies. Tons of optional things to do and find.
It's worth noting that there are many ways to escape the city (one of which is only possible on New Game +), and it can be fun looking for alternate solutions to this (and other) puzzles.

One other tip: If you find an item that lets you jump, hold on to it; it's a required item, and if you drop it, you will have no choice but to start over (though fortunately you can keep your stats and spells, hence New Game + even though you haven't beaten the game yet).

(Note that the Dragon Quest series, despite the fact that I mentioned it in the same post and the similar name, is completely unrelated to Dragon Wars; don't let your view of one affect whether you should try the other.)
dtgreene: It's worth noting that there are many ways to escape the city (one of which is only possible on New Game +)
Haha, I think I know which one this is. The direct route?