It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Pardon my ignorance on the subject, buuuuut... I have read a few pages regarding the new policy (mostly about the dislike toward regional pricing), but I haven't come across an explanation of why it is 'bad'. Could someone explain the concept - and how it is a detriment to Gog.com - to me please? Thank you!
MaceyNeil: Sadly enough if your not supporting DRM Free by backing GOG on these measures you are in fact simply electing to buy games from steam (wether directly or through a secondary retailer/middleman), which i'm sure you'll be able to do with these titles anyway.

Fact of the matter is your going to have to pay for games -> didn't change
Value of those games are still based on wether you want to pay that amount -> didn't change
Your choice in wether you do buy those games being linked to your willingness to part with your money -> didn't change
Drakosha: Not really. If companies are intent to make it impossible for me to buy games without regional restrictions, then they'll just not get my money anymore. And it's not like it's hard to get games elsewhere.
Actually it is hard to get games elsewhere because essentially 80% of titles you simply cannot buy without steam meaning somewhere in that chain steam is getting their kickback even if that kickback is supporting market dominance.
_Bruce_: No, read it again. We get charged USD. No Conversion. Apart from the 233% 'go F yourself' rate.
genericola: oh, it was worse than what I read :)
I left off

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (Activision)

89.99 USD
19.99 USD
19.99 GBP
24.99 Euro
34.99 real (brazil)
19.99 (ukraine)

Yeah.... theres regional pricing and then theres REGIONAL REGIONAL pricing+ :/
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Niggles
genericola: To provide a little more context that $69.99 AUD for civ 5 turns into ~$63 USD ATM
Bigs: No - The Australian Steam Store is charged in USD not AUD
I know, I just didn't read the price he/she quoted right, it's early here :)
Post edited February 21, 2014 by genericola
high rated
TheEnigmaticT: Divinity: Original Sin is an example of the kind of game we're talking about; it's already launched on Steam for early access with regional pricing, and it wouldn't be very fair of Larian to give our EU and UK users a better value for the game if they buy it from GOG.com later as opposed to Steam now.
Yes it would. If GOG introduces regional pricing, I'll never buy a game here again.
MindsEyeSplinter: Pardon my ignorance on the subject, buuuuut... I have read a few pages regarding the new policy (mostly about the dislike toward regional pricing), but I haven't come across an explanation of why it is 'bad'. Could someone explain the concept - and how it is a detriment to Gog.com - to me please? Thank you!
Think if you had to pay 60 USD while someone else is paying 130, and another is paying 10.

But that's not even scratching the surface. This could easily pave the way to regional locks.
Such a shame to hear this, i think most people would rather gog sticks to there core values and not have the games than do this, but i guess its in the hands of the customers.
I remember when Gog first launched frantically checking every day to see whats new , being excited when a new (old) game was released etc, but over the last year or two i find myself less and less excited by gog, the good old has definitely gone, and i find myself only checking the site once a week at most because im less bothered about the releases anymore.
This move just makes it like any other gaming website, and while it may only be a few games at first it will creep in and get more and more traction til they are all like it
zaine-h: From what I've heard, The Witcher 2 had a censored regional version. It's not unprecedented.
http://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher_2/gog_com_version_of_the_witcher_2_censored_for_australians
gbaz69: I did not konw that, thanks for info and link.
Sorry for all those that get censored TW2. Specially if they took out the few naked and/or sex scenes.
Though if they turned all red blood into glittery rainbow's and flowers, that would be acceptable for me.
lolz Witcher 2: MLP edition (my little pony. for those who are not as net savvy)
MindsEyeSplinter: Pardon my ignorance on the subject, buuuuut... I have read a few pages regarding the new policy (mostly about the dislike toward regional pricing), but I haven't come across an explanation of why it is 'bad'. Could someone explain the concept - and how it is a detriment to Gog.com - to me please? Thank you!
Problems:
- If Steam exchange rules are followed, prices of (at least some) games will be 25% higher in EU and probably even more in Australia.
- Possible censorship, mostly in Australia and Germany.
- Possible region locks ('This game is not avalible in your region').
- Flat prices were one of selling points for GOG.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Novotnus
Thoric: If you are absolutely going to have regional pricing, I hope you will try to balance it out with lower prices for low income regions. Steam's already made some headway with the regional pricing in Russia.

This will greatly benefit the gamers in those countries and it would make flat and regional pricing models more equal options in the eyes of your partners. If you manage to have more precise sub-regions than Steam (*cough* Eurozone=/=EU), you can absolutely add "fair pricing" back to the list of things that make GOG unique.
Darvond: Yes, but that also means we could all just put on a bearskin and ask the Russians for gifts.

That'd just disturb the balance further. :I
This sort of exploit is already a possible problem. It's just the US that has the lowest price instead of Russia.

They need a solution for that anyway. I'm guessing gifts would only be reclaimable in the region they've been bought in.
Thoric: If you are absolutely going to have regional pricing, I hope you will try to balance it out with lower prices for low income regions. Steam's already made some headway with the regional pricing in Russia.

This will greatly benefit the gamers in those countries and it would make flat and regional pricing models more equal options in the eyes of your partners. If you manage to have more precise sub-regions than Steam (*cough* Eurozone=/=EU), you can absolutely add "fair pricing" back to the list of things that make GOG unique.
Darvond: Yes, but that also means we could all just put on a bearskin and ask the Russians for gifts.

That'd just disturb the balance further. :I
I think certain goggers will get a lot more new friends :P
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Niggles
Drakosha: Not really. If companies are intent to make it impossible for me to buy games without regional restrictions, then they'll just not get my money anymore. And it's not like it's hard to get games elsewhere.
MaceyNeil: Actually it is hard to get games elsewhere because essentially 80% of titles you simply cannot buy without steam meaning somewhere in that chain steam is getting their kickback even if that kickback is supporting market dominance.
I think you've missed his point. The accent is on "not get my money anymore".
Dreadz: Under the current EU rules the VAT is 15% for digital goods (it's very complicated but you are basically paying the VAT of the country where the seller is located,
Novotnus: Are you certain? I'm pretty sure is 23% on everything in Poland...
For digital goods you get charged the VAT rate where the SELLER is located. Example: Valve/Steam are in Luxembourg so you pay the Luxembourg 15% rate even if you, the consumer, are from Poland.
unbiased: Such a shame to hear this, i think most people would rather gog sticks to there core values and not have the games than do this, but i guess its in the hands of the customers.
I remember when Gog first launched frantically checking every day to see whats new , being excited when a new (old) game was released etc, but over the last year or two i find myself less and less excited by gog, the good old has definitely gone, and i find myself only checking the site once a week at most because im less bothered about the releases anymore.
This move just makes it like any other gaming website, and while it may only be a few games at first it will creep in and get more and more traction til they are all like it
I only find myself less enthused because it seems more than 70% of their releases seem to be point and click adventures NOT by lucasarts and to me i can get miles of decent point & click shit from online flash.
For people in the US, it won't make (much of) a difference in price. The problem for many is that regional pricing generally means more expensive games for European and Australian users, among others. GOG used to have a worldwide price.