It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
genericola: To provide a little more context that $69.99 AUD for civ 5 turns into ~$63 USD ATM
_Bruce_: No, read it again. We get charged USD. No Conversion. Apart from the 233% 'go F yourself' rate.
oh, it was worse than what I read :)
gbaz69: Please gog, just don't start releasing censored regional version of games.
From what I've heard, The Witcher 2 had a censored regional version. It's not unprecedented.
http://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher_2/gog_com_version_of_the_witcher_2_censored_for_australians
HypersomniacLive: What are these new EU rules that are repeatedly brought up? I've yet to hear of anything being changed regarding e-commerce, VAT and/ or taxes.
Under the current EU rules the VAT is 15% for digital goods (it's very complicated but you are basically paying the VAT of the country where the seller is located, for Valve/Steam; Amazon; Paypal; Ebay;... that would be Luxembourg which has a 15% VAT). In 2015 the VAT rate will be the local VAT rate where you live ( VAT rate of the CONSUMER, not the seller). And unless you live in Luxembourg, the VAT you are going to pay will be higher than 15%.

But saying that regional pricing is because of VAT is pure LIES! Under the current 15% rate the actual markup for EU digital goods is an average of 64%, way WAY above what can be justified by the VAT rate.

Publishers charge so high because they can, not because they are forced. Maximum milking.
thedaus: Well, that is the last I am buying from GoG.
I do not like being discriminated against based of the country I was born in and to announce it as "
Good news!" is insanely insulting!
I don't think anything will change for people in US. It's Europe and Oz that are being hit here.
thedaus: Well, that is the last I am buying from GoG.
I do not like being discriminated against based of the country I was born in and to announce it as "
Good news!" is insanely insulting!
Go ahead buy from steam then :)
Niggles: Which games?
gbaz69: I huge ass list, reddit has most recent active discussion on it. I think this is the link

So if you traded for gifts lately, and have not all ready added them to your gamelibrary (aka sitting in your invetory),
those games in invetory may have had locks placed on them (even if purchases years ago).
They did a similar thing with Sleeping Dogs. At the beginning, you could buy it uncensored with a German account, then they modified your already purchased game. Now it's not only censored but incompatible to all DLC.
TheEnigmaticT: 2011 is hardly yesterday, but you are correct; this is pretty much in direct contravention for what he said back then. Look for my longer answer up above for why we decided to change.
RS1978: Hey Mr. T, I've read your longer contribution and I can widely follow your considerations. But please get me right: If we're only talking about the regional pricing problem - I'm sure we will settle this. My main problems are censorhip and similar regional restrictions. If you can find a solution for this matter, I'm absolutely sure GOG and I will find a way out of this little "crisis". I want to play games, I want to pay for games, and I want them DRM-free and in the majority of cases with German language support, so I'm willing to make concessions.
Censorship is my biggest worry too, as long as everyone gets the same version of the game, but at different prices, I will be okay with this decision.
Leroux: "Good News! Doom is coming to GOG! Sadly we had to put a region lock on it, in order to sell it DRM-free, but this decision is always in our partners' hands, and preventing Germans from playing violent games is becoming the standard around the globe. Everyone else, have fun!" :P
MaceyNeil: Sadly enough if your not supporting DRM Free by backing GOG on these measures you are in fact simply electing to buy games from steam (wether directly or through a secondary retailer/middleman), which i'm sure you'll be able to do with these titles anyway.

Fact of the matter is your going to have to pay for games -> didn't change
Value of those games are still based on wether you want to pay that amount -> didn't change
Your choice in wether you do buy those games being linked to your willingness to part with your money -> didn't change
Not really. If companies are intent to make it impossible for me to buy games without regional restrictions, then they'll just not get my money anymore. And it's not like it's hard to get games elsewhere.
If you are absolutely going to have regional pricing, I hope you will try to balance it out with lower prices for low income regions. Steam's already made some headway with the regional pricing in Russia.

This will greatly benefit the gamers in those countries and it would make flat and regional pricing models more equal options in the eyes of your partners. If you manage to have more precise sub-regions than Steam (*cough* Eurozone=/=EU), you can absolutely add "fair pricing" back to the list of things that make GOG unique.
gbaz69: Please gog, just don't start releasing censored regional version of games.
zaine-h: From what I've heard, The Witcher 2 had a censored regional version. It's not unprecedented.
http://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher_2/gog_com_version_of_the_witcher_2_censored_for_australians
Hey we're still not GEOIP checked are we? So what's the problem with having a cencored version? it's opt in.
Niggles: Which games?
gbaz69: I huge ass list, reddit has most recent active discussion on it. I think this is the link

So if you traded for gifts lately, and have not all ready added them to your gamelibrary (aka sitting in your invetory),
those games in invetory may have had locks placed on them (even if purchases years ago).
Banner Saga had a region lock at one point? got to be kidding me...
Dreadz: Under the current EU rules the VAT is 15% for digital goods (it's very complicated but you are basically paying the VAT of the country where the seller is located,
Are you certain? I'm pretty sure is 23% on everything in Poland...
Thoric: If you are absolutely going to have regional pricing, I hope you will try to balance it out with lower prices for low income regions. Steam's already made some headway with the regional pricing in Russia.

This will greatly benefit the gamers in those countries and it would make flat and regional pricing models more equal options in the eyes of your partners. If you manage to have more precise sub-regions than Steam (*cough* Eurozone=/=EU), you can absolutely add "fair pricing" back to the list of things that make GOG unique.
Yes, but that also means we could all just put on a bearskin and ask the Russians for gifts.

That'd just disturb the balance further. :I
zaine-h: From what I've heard, The Witcher 2 had a censored regional version. It's not unprecedented.
I did not konw that, thanks for info and link.
Sorry for all those that get censored TW2. Specially if they took out the few naked and/or sex scenes.
Though if they turned all red blood into glittery rainbow's and flowers, that would be acceptable for me.
genericola: To provide a little more context that $69.99 AUD for civ 5 turns into ~$63 USD ATM
No - The Australian Steam Store is charged in USD not AUD