It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
HypersomniacLive: Not exactly - it was disguised as "good news" (please, read it again) and thus more of an attempt to appease the - surely expected - negativity and opposition with the carrot of big "day-1" releases.
Novotnus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrnoR9cBP3o
Great movie. You should look at the new BD release, the picture is fantastic!
TheEnigmaticT: Regional pricing is developer or publisher determined; if they want to do it, then we'd be happy to go along with them on it.
Niggles: Give you an example of the pricing involved for certain existing games (courtesy of steamprices.com)

Civilization V (2K games)
69.99 USD (for aussies)
29.99 USD
19.99 GBP
44.99 real (Brazil)
249 roubles (Russia)
14.99 (Ukraine)

Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning (Electronic Arts)
59.99 USD (for aussies)
19.99 USD
19.99 GBP
19.99 euro (germany)
299 roubles (russia)
39.99 real (brazil)
13.99 (ukraine)

I realise these aren't exactly new games - both AAA rated games at launch
Regional pricing is one thing - but these are examples of it on a whole different level.
Have a check of the current exchange rates and you will see what i mean :/
To provide a little more context that $69.99 AUD for civ 5 turns into ~$63 USD ATM
TheEnigmaticT: Regional pricing is developer or publisher determined; if they want to do it, then we'd be happy to go along with them on it.
So when Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 come to GOG we can expect them to be free of regional pricing right?
RS1978: That's the tax for being DRM-free.
TheEnigmaticT: We will have local currencies. Soon. Let's just say that getting those on board is not going quite as fast as we'd hoped, but the goal is to be accepting EUR, AUD, GBP, and RUB in the next few months.
Vainamoinen: Easy and central question: How many pricing territories will you provide to your partners? Four and only four?
TheEnigmaticT: You know, I don't know the answer to that. I know we're scheduled to have four more currencies, but I don't know how many different "regions" there will be.
This keeps getting worse and worse. GOG went from being really respected in my eyes to being just as bad as the rest of the online retailers.
RS1978: Great movie. You should look at the new BD release, the picture is fantastic!
Thanks, didn't know it was re-released... my old VHS is long time dead and even if it wasn't, I don't have anything to play it on :)
I believe all gog's current prices includes taxes (even at the same price).

So gog is probably making less money per sale of games in certain regions.
(aka: if one country has no taxes the base price of 5.99/9.99 is good, but if there are 20% taxes involved, gog will be taking a 80% intake vs the usual 100%)

I'll feel a little better if this is *JUST* the devs of games, and not governments forcing your hand (and not gov forcing the devs hands either).

Please gog, just don't start releasing censored regional version of games.
(ps. as of last night, steam starting retro-actively region locking games that were all ready purchased, and that is not going over well for the community right now. I believe it is criminal to change something after it was all ready bought. But this is a different story for a diff time.)
Tinwhistle: Yay!

time to stop bickering and start ordering!
Guys, if regional pricing is all it takes to bring some exciting new titles here, then by all means do it! And I for one do not mind paying a bit more either - at least I am getting a product that is not crippled like in other stores.

Did I mention to say "yay"? :-)
Leroux: "Good News! Doom is coming to GOG! Sadly we had to put a region lock on it, in order to sell it DRM-free, but this decision is always in our partners' hands, and preventing Germans from playing violent games is becoming the standard around the globe. Everyone else, have fun!" :P
Sadly enough if your not supporting DRM Free by backing GOG on these measures you are in fact simply electing to buy games from steam (wether directly or through a secondary retailer/middleman), which i'm sure you'll be able to do with these titles anyway.

Fact of the matter is your going to have to pay for games -> didn't change
Value of those games are still based on wether you want to pay that amount -> didn't change
Your choice in wether you do buy those games being linked to your willingness to part with your money -> didn't change
Well, that is the last I am buying from GoG.
I do not like being discriminated against based of the country I was born in and to announce it as "
Good news!" is insanely insulting!
gbaz69: Please gog, just don't start releasing censored regional version of games.
(ps. as of last night, steam starting retro-actively region locking games that were all ready purchased, and that is not going over well for the community right now. I believe it is criminal to change something after it was all ready bought. But this is a different story for a diff time.)
Found it http://www.incgamers.com/2014/02/steam-region-locking-causing-problems-traders-gifters

South Park????? and Thief..
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Niggles
Leroux: In any case, it doesn't seem to be out of the question, if publishers apply enough pressure:
Looks like it.

Vestin: It means: "We're not planning X, but are smart enough not to make definite statements you can call us out on if something were to happen in the future that would cause us to change our minds in this regard, in spite of no obvious reasons for doing so earlier".
Yes. I was hoping to coax TET into stating GOG's current intentions regarding region locking. I don't really expect an answer.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Gydion
Prydeless: So when Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 come to GOG we can expect them to be free of regional pricing right?
I wouldn't hold your breath. CDPROJEKT asked Namco Bandai to release the retail version of Witcher 2, and NB forced them to gouge Australia on GOG (might have done so for the EU as well but I don't know about that).
Niggles: Civilization V (2K games)
69.99 USD (for aussies)
29.99 USD
genericola: To provide a little more context that $69.99 AUD for civ 5 turns into ~$63 USD ATM
No, read it again. We get charged USD. No Conversion. Apart from the 233% 'go F yourself' rate.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by _Bruce_
gbaz69: Please gog, just don't start releasing censored regional version of games.
Niggles: Which games?
I huge ass list, reddit has most recent active discussion on it. I think this is the link

So if you traded for gifts lately, and have not all ready added them to your gamelibrary (aka sitting in your invetory),
those games in invetory may have had locks placed on them (even if purchases years ago).
Darvond: I somehow doubt indies and all publishers are clamoring for this. :B
Niggles: Sadly this opens the door since once one see's they can get away with it, most of rest think they can as well - who is to say it wont classic game prices at some point (cant see indies getting away with it though)
Then we switch to Survivor rules and vote out the publishers![/s?]
gbaz69: I believe all gog's current prices includes taxes (even at the same price).

So gog is probably making less money per sale of games in certain regions.
(aka: if one country has no taxes the base price of 5.99/9.99 is good, but if there are 20% taxes involved, gog will be taking a 80% intake vs the usual 100%)

I'll feel a little better if this is *JUST* the devs of games, and not governments forcing your hand (and not gov forcing the devs hands either).

Please gog, just don't start releasing censored regional version of games.
'LOL fuck steam'
-Me

It's great to see them confident enough in their monopoly that they're willing to throw their weight around; it means the likelihood of a class action over anti-competative behaviours for it's fully fledged monopoly is getting more than likely.

Oh and yes it would be criminal for a product; but not necessarily for a 'service' which is why idiot steam fanboi's didn't notice the writing on the wall set by steam. Give up your battle to have these types of things classified as something that can be owned by the customer and you essentially give up all rights to being treated fairly.