It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
TheEnigmaticT: This is a risky call. I think big decisions are always risky. It may even be it's the wrong call. We'll find that out as we move forward. But this is us saying that we believe in the DRM-Free Revolution enough that we think it's the plan for us going forward. We think that making GOG.com the premier place to get games without DRM is what's most important for us.
"The Revolution devours its children."
- Jacques Mallet du Pan

Fine. I'll go along with it. If it really means so much to you guys, I can stop bitching about it and maybe look at it a bit more cautiously optimistic.

I guess if you can't beat them...
high rated
Tinwhistle: Yay!

time to stop bickering and start ordering!
Guys, if regional pricing is all it takes to bring some exciting new titles here, then by all means do it! And I for one do not mind paying a bit more either - at least I am getting a product that is not crippled like in other stores.

Did I mention to say "yay"? :-)
"Good News! Doom is coming to GOG! Sadly we had to put a region lock on it, in order to sell it DRM-free, but this decision is always in our partners' hands, and preventing Germans from playing violent games is becoming the standard around the globe. Everyone else, have fun!" :P
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Leroux
Tinwhistle: Yay!

time to stop bickering and start ordering!
Guys, if regional pricing is all it takes to bring some exciting new titles here, then by all means do it! And I for one do not mind paying a bit more either - at least I am getting a product that is not crippled like in other stores.

Did I mention to say "yay"? :-)
RS1978: That's the big question, my dear fellow. Perhaps you and I and all German customers will get here a whole bunch of crippled games. Ask the Australian buyers of The Witcher 2 how GOG is handling that matter...
I got Fist Puncher here and it's not crippled (read: censored) like the Steam version. Surely if they wanted to cripple every game they would've been doing so by now, no?
TheEnigmaticT: ...
Elenarie: Here's an interesting question. I am originally from Macedonia where the average salary is about 300 EUR. We pay the same price like western European countries that have average salary of 3000+ EUR.

So, with this regional pricing, will we see price reduction to 90% of the original price, since hey, its a regional price now? (Its a rhetorical question, I know that we will be paying the same price as rich European countries)
Regional pricing is developer or publisher determined; if they want to do it, then we'd be happy to go along with them on it.
RS1978: That's the tax for being DRM-free.
Yea... "right".
Easy and central question: How many pricing territories will you provide to your partners? Four and only four?
GabiMoro: When comes to Western and central Europe it mostly is about VAT.
triock: Nope, that's just how you see it. If it was true, then there would be different prices for each EU country.
And why does EU VAT affect European countries that are not part of EU? Why do they have to pay EU Euro prices? Also why is the price increase 34%, the difference between USD and Euro vauluse and not dollar value + VAT (would average around 20%)?
Elenarie: Yea, "lets do regional pricing, but charge you in a foreign currency, because why the hell not!"

If you're doing something, at least do it right, there is 0 reason for an European citizen to pay for a product in $ when the price is advertised in EUR.
RS1978: That's the tax for being DRM-free.
We will have local currencies. Soon. Let's just say that getting those on board is not going quite as fast as we'd hoped, but the goal is to be accepting EUR, AUD, GBP, and RUB in the next few months.
Vainamoinen: Easy and central question: How many pricing territories will you provide to your partners? Four and only four?
You know, I don't know the answer to that. I know we're scheduled to have four more currencies, but I don't know how many different "regions" there will be.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by TheEnigmaticT
high rated
IMHO, the regional pricing is damn shame. This is going back to bite GOG on its ass in the coming years as you loose good will and good rep in your oldest target audience. This may or may not be offset by new customers.

In the end (again, in my subjective and biased opinion) - dreams do not matter at all if you do not follow them in actions. At this time, GOG has failed - digital divides in pricing and DRM-free do not mix.
Hey, I realize this may be against policy, but can we get a list of the partners who are being whiny babies about this?
GOG.com: The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again.... We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe.

We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!
I see you've removed the "equal pricing for all regions" from your advertisement. :/

What's GOG's policy on regional bypassing now? Say it's more than $1 cheaper in another region (such as $5 in the US and $7 elsewhere) and a friend of mine doesn't want to spend an extra $2. For preorders and new titles it becomes even more significant.

So now we assume all of my euro friends want me to buy them copies of games, or if it's cheaper for them then vice versa. This is similar to Steam and the Russian/Brazil markets. Are you going to impose any restrictions on things like this, leave it to the publishers, or leave it to the customers how we get our games and from whom? Would it become a problem for you if the majority of users were getting their copies from the cheapest available region?

That's something you will have to consider. If you have to set regional restrictions to avoid this then you may lose customers. If you don't then you may lose publishers. So you should set your principle boundaries now to prevent any future damages. "We will never allow publishers to lock codes to regions" is a good one. Remember that you have the final say on that.

Though all of this aside, I think your way of offering GOG credit/free game to the more expensive regions is a very good way of handling it. If you plan on making the same profits from every region and giving the publishers the same everywhere per sale, then I don't think regional trading will be that big of a deal. It may even make GOG the best option to Steam users who can pay the same price as Steam and get an additional title. But being aware of the trading now will benefit your decisions later.
high rated
GOG - I am disappoint.
triock: Nope, that's just how you see it. If it was true, then there would be different prices for each EU country.
Petrell: And why does EU VAT affect European countries that are not part of EU? Why do they have to pay EU Euro prices? Also why is the price increase 34%, the difference between USD and Euro vauluse and not dollar value + VAT (would average around 20%)?
Geez, that's what I'm trying to say all the time - regional pricing is not about VAT, it's about different prices for different regions. ;)
Titanium: "The Revolution devours its children."
- Jacques Mallet du Pan
"The revolutionary does not discover the “authentic spirit of the revolution” except before the revolutionary tribunal that condemns him."
- Nicolás Gómez Dávila
:)
Darvond: Hey, I realize this may be against policy, but can we get a list of the partners who are being whiny babies about this?
Try everyone.