It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
jorlin: I recently bought a Roland MT-32 (Old edition), so I can bask in the original tune of the Curse of Monkey Island as it was ment to be. Ahhh, bliss :-D
I'm one of those lucky bastards who own MI 3, 4 and 5 on still functional CDs :)
...along with Sam and Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango :)
(with MI I and II I have to settle for Steam versions :( )
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Novotnus
OldFatGuy: Just want to summarize my feelings on why this announcement doesn't make me happy since perhaps some folks from gog are reading.

I'm very disappointed because IMO you were absolutely correct in that video many have linked to regarding the unfairness of regional pricing. I mean, regional pricing in and of itself doesn't make it unfair, there can be legitimate reasons for that, such as shipping costs. But when dealing with digital distribution, there is absolutely no legitimate reason for it.

And most importantly, for me the biggest thing that drew me here was and is DRM free games. And while regional pricing isn't going to affect me directly, it does make me 1) feel for the unfairness of my fellow man (or woman) who gets hit with higher prices and mostly 2) it makes me worry about DRM free remaining something that gog would fight for.

There was another video posted here (sorry, no links, after I post this I'll try and find them) where gog spokesmen were talking about these issues and how they had turned down publishers in the past because it was important for them to maintain those values they claimed to hold, with one of the speakers emphatically using the term "No compromises" (This was an excellent example of why I loved gog, they had principles). And regional pricing was specifically mentioned as a reason for turning down opportunities in the past, as was getting games DRM free.

Well, it's now been shown that something has changed where instead of turning down those opportunities as in the past, gog has now decided to compromise. So no matter how much you may insist otherwise, one is left with the reality that change is now possible regarding DRM free games.

That said, I think this could have been handled a lot better, and I still hope for the best from gog. I still hope that DRM free games remains something they're unwilling to compromise on, and that they will minimize both the impact and amount of games being regionally priced. Unfortunately, nothing you say can now reinforce that hope, only time will tell now.
Refined Gaming at its Best!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dvaNgCTncLk#t=55

The Regional Ripoff: Why Can't Gaming Be Fair?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos

Marcin Iwinski, Guillaume Rambourg / CDProjekt RED, GOG.com Creating a Digital Business for Humans: studying the trials and successes of GOG.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6P3yOTR2Vc&t=1194
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Ichwillnichtmehr
Ichwillnichtmehr: You could take on the Swordmaster!
Novotnus: My name is feared in every dirty corner of this island!
Hard to believe, if said by someone who likes to wear a garland! :P

(*So you got that job as janitor, after all)
Post edited February 24, 2014 by phaolo
hedwards: I doubt very much that TET likes being in this sort of situation with having to prop this up with PR bullshit. I can't personally believe that he believes half of what he's been saying in this thread.
Fesin: Yeah, I really don't envy TET's job at the moment. Having to defend a bullshit decision you probably haven't even had a say in must suck.
And more than that, he'll be associated with the decision the same way that weathermen get blamed for bad weather. But, it comes with the territory when you choose to work in PR.
Novotnus: I'm one of those lucky bastards who own MI 3, 4 and 5 on still functional CDs :)
...along with Sam and Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango :)
(with MI I and II I have to settle for Steam versions :( )
Since we're talking about Monkey Island, does anybody know anything about the Special Editions? Do the retail discs demand Steam or somesuch? Are the classic audiovisuals fine, or are they marred by the new interface?

hedwards: And more than that, he'll be associated with the decision the same way that weathermen get blamed for bad weather. But, it comes with the territory when you choose to work in PR.
The messenger will be shot. That's the unfortunate truth.
JudasIscariot: Excuse me for barging into TET's area here but as one of the folks responsible for ensuring the games have the most amount of goodies I feel I should clarify this: there are times when a game has a) nothing but the manual even in the original release b) in the case of indie games, we do what we can with what we get and c) sometimes the extras don't approved because of legal issues on the extras themselves.

I know I am being a wee bit defensive here as I, as well as my colleagues, take my job seriously.

Thanks for reading :)

edited for clarity :)
johnnygoging: ah so that's why some games are so sparse on the extras. I was wondering why that is on some. you can't scan manuals or just put together the developer-created wallpapers and such that were used as marketing when the game came out? didn't know why more games couldn't look like system shock or the witcher or icewind dale I think. concept art and developer work and things. that's pretty sad that you have to get legal approval on the extras.

well then let me just say thanks for all the work you have done that way including the stuff that never got added in.
Well, we do scan the manuals, actually :) See the German manual for Deadlock 1 and the German manual for 7th Legion as an example :) and I am hoping to get a couple more manuals that shall not be named scanned and out to you guys soon for a couple of our classic games :) It's just sometimes, depending on the game, they are not available for purchase either via ebay or other auction sites.

With older games, the wallpapers tend to be too small to be useful with today's resolutions. Luckily, we have an awesome design team that can work miracles with the severely limited assets for some of the older games but sometimes there's literally NOTHING to work with as far as bonus goodies go :/

Regarding System Shock and Icewind Dale: well, maybe not all of our golden oldies can have an impressive set of goodies but if you look on some of our indies then you'll see how generous the developers were with them. Case in point: and [url=http://www.gog.com/game/time_gentlemen_please_ben_there_dan_that]Time Gentlemen Please + Ben There Dan That (links provided only for ease of use)

In short, it all depends on the game as far as the goodies go :)
Lemon_Curry: Seriously though, I'm looking forward to reading the letter tomorrow.
So am i. Shame it's a letter and not a video though, Guillaume tapdancing in monk attires would make for a damn good show ;)
groze: I agree with most of what you said, but unfortunately there's no arguing with these people, they are hellbent on making this seem like an ethical quest for principles and values, and apparently they don't care about DRM-free anymore, as if all that GOG meant to them, all this time, was worldwide flat pricing. DRM-free?! Nah, never heard of it, that's not even the main reason for more than 70% (conservatively) of GOG customers buying their games here.
Lodium: Both of you make valid points.
Though i think some the reason why people rage so much
is earlier experiences with other services and also there is really no choice in the matter.
Regional pricing is the standard cross the board so if you chose not to buy because of it, you migth as well stop buying games alltogether.
Sure, GoG can promise all they want but it doesnt change the fact that if one thing gets crossed how easy is it to go back on other more important issues if regional prices are ok.

Il take a wait and see aproach but considering what have happened with other online game stores this doesnt look so great.
Im very sceptical that this will lead to positive results for evry consumer.
If GoG can prove otherwise though il be extremly suprised.
I've been surprised on here before ;)

The choice problem is an obvious one... if all services turn into steam based THERE WILL BE NO CHOICE.
For that not to occur there needs to be essentially 2 things, a huge catologue of relevant games and to 'not be a copy of steam'.

Gog already knows this.
Sure they make a bit of money off abandonware games they get working through vmware/dosbox, but they know the murderous elephant in the room trampling on everyone elses sandcastles is Steam and they know they can't get people to invest thousands of dollars in their sandcastles if all they're gonna do is trample round the room faking a trunk and pretending to be the big boy.

Fact of the matter is as gamers we need to support GOG because GOG is the only 'real' alternative on the market to steam at the moment as an actual sole digital distributor (and not simply a front like every other one of steams bitch companies [gamers gate, greenman gaming, and all others that may not be a direct front, but try to do the exact same thing such as 'Origin'].
Grargar: Since we're talking about Monkey Island, does anybody know anything about the Special Editions? Do the retail discs demand Steam or somesuch? Are the classic audiovisuals fine, or are they marred by the new interface?
I have them directly from Steam, so can't tell you anything about the discs... but if yoi switch to classic mode, you get:
- SMI: classic game,
- LCR: classic game with voiceovers.
high rated
This move is only a surprise if you have bought into GOG presenting themselves like a friend whom you trust will always treat you fairly. "GOG.com made by gamers, for gamers" is an example of how they have been cultivating this image for a long while. It is natural to gravitate towards an environment where you feel you're understood, accepted, and amongst like-minded people.

The disappointment comes, when instead you realize the priority has always been making a profit, and you were solely a customer addressed in ways to keep you purchasing. GOG have often been doing a better job of this tactic than other companies, and have treated their shoppers quite well. Still, they are moving from a perceived market necessity when doing so; "core values" is their marketing term used to make you enjoy shopping on GOG.com. Most people do feel better dealing with a business they think is sporting some level of integrity.

It's a bit baffling then, how they've chosen to go about delivering the current change. Abruptly wiping "One world, fair price" off their motto list sets a different tone. Adding to that the clumsily spun "great" news, where if juxtaposed with past PR stunts (posted above) some of which got delivered with particular hooray-euphoria, it seems not only I am cringing and finding all this a bit disingenuous.

Me, I am disappointed, mostly to find out GOG isn't first about these ideals I care about, but just a business out to maximize profit (although I really should know better — too gullible still I suppose). Let's see what happens and how things will develop, but for me, the shine is off.
Novotnus: I have them directly from Steam, so can't tell you anything about the discs... but if yoi switch to classic mode, you get:
- SMI: classic game,
- LCR: classic game with voiceovers.
So, is it just like old times? Or not quite?
Novotnus: My name is feared in every dirty corner of this island!
Ichwillnichtmehr: Man this takes me back.

Me, My Amiga, 8(I think) 3 1/2" floppy disks(DD turned into HD by drilling a hole into them), and "The Secret of Monkey Island"

.....Dammit, I'm old!
Old, but with great memories and the past experiences made you look in a different way on things. My Amiga 600 was a really special entertainment machine for me too.
Grargar: So, is it just like old times? Or not quite?
Pretty much like that :) Plus, LCR has some acceptable visuals in the 'new' mode.
Novotnus: Pretty much like that :) Plus, LCR has some acceptable visuals in the 'new' mode.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind.
silentbob1138: They are under NDA and can't legally announce the games.
It was a very stupid decision to announce regional pricing with some unknown games, though. If the games are truly so great that we won't dislike regional pricing (which I doubt), it would have been better to announce the policy change when the first game gets released.
HypersomniacLive: No, because there would always be a mass of GOG users that would oppose it no matter what the games are (there're plenty of posts in this very thread supporting this); they then would have a similar discussion in the Release Thread - and that would have damaged day-1 sales far more.

Dropping the bomb this early and on a Friday evening was carefully planned.
It probably was carefully planned. Still stupid, though.
You are of course right that a similar discussion would have happened in the release thread. But now they expect us to be excited about games we know nothing about to accept regional pricing. If the games truly have the potential to make some of us accept regional pricing announcing it at launch would have at least stopped some complaints. And, unless tomorrow brings some amazing news, I expect quite a lot of complaints in the launch thread, too.