It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Niggles: you'd hope it were exciting new games that haven't been bundled or had multiple sales and massive discounts. it would be ludicrous and you think people are over reacting now?????
Grargar: Guys, we have talked about it already. Risen 1+2, regardless of quality, are neither Preorder, nor Launch Day material. Also remember; GOG intends to use the first of those three games as a bargaining tool to convince other publishers to sign with GOG. Showing Risen would illicit nothing more than waves of laughter.
Lot of repeated information in this thread the last few days :). and people suggesting things that had been suggested previously lol :). And yes id feel the same if Risen was one of the ones in question
HGiles: I haven't seen any games proposed that would make this move worth it. GOG should have waited until they had some top requests on the wishlist in the bag before going forward with this.
TheEnigmaticT: We do, actually, have some games that I'm pretty sure will have people giddy with glee once they show up on GOG that will be available thanks to this change. But for the most part we're probably best off awaiting TheFrenchMonk's letter to you guys that's to be published tomorrow.
Might i inquire as to whether any of the games in question will be available drm free anywhere else or will be GOG exclusives?.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Niggles
Niggles: Lot of repeated information in this thread the last few days :). and people suggesting things that had been suggested previously lol :). And yes id feel the same if Risen was one of the ones in question
Well, I do get the feeling that I'm constantly running around in circles.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Grargar
zambrey: Perfect theme song for this thread:
Sign of Evil
How about Slipping Away? (surprisingly fitting actually, "running in circles" included O_o)
Niggles: And yes id feel the same if Risen was one of the ones in question
That's one of the games I would not care about if they added it with regional pricing, since it was one of the few games where I did not care about DRM, I just needed to get the physical collectors editions for Risen 1+2 :D
VoxDeNube: I'm not trying to make any arguments at all. It was you who quoted me and were trying to force out of me something. It's your opinion. I have mine. Fair enough.
Ichwillnichtmehr: You were arguing, that GOG.com was not abandoning one of their their core values, but rather "adding" to their core values.

You have not yet supported your argument, with anything other than: "It's what I feel"

For your argument to have merit, you will need something more.
I was sharing my opinion. I wasn't arguing or trying to change your opinion. If I would for example said to you, that I prefer mineral water over lemonade, would I also need to tell you all about it and why I prefer it? I just do and that's all there is to it. I don't have to explain or prove anything, neither am I trying. You don't like my opinion? Fair enough. People are different. I understand that you feel ripped-off by these news, regional pricing is unfair, I agree. There's all that there is to it. I'm done with the conversation.

PS.
'It's what I feel' part was an example. Sad that you didn't get it.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by VoxDeNube
I can understand GOG's staff are working very hard all the time and I do believe that they tried to do this for the greater good, but I am not so sure they would have expected a backlash this big. I truly don't know what to expect tomorrow.
hedwards: I'm not so sure about that. You guys have at this point sold out absolutely every value you were pushing in the early days save the lack of DRM. I'm not sure what he could possibly say that's going to make people overlook the fact that we've effectively been lied to and used.

DLC separate from the base game, region free pricing, no releases without goodies, classic games only, games without massive widespread compatibility issues.

In other words, don't count on us getting over this any time soon. If this were just one thing, I think people would probably be less riled up, but it's been a long road and the trajectory is directly toward a normal mainstream store.
JudasIscariot: Excuse me for barging into TET's area here but as one of the folks responsible for ensuring the games have the most amount of goodies I feel I should clarify this: there are times when a game has a) nothing but the manual even in the original release b) in the case of indie games, we do what we can with what we get and c) sometimes the extras don't approved because of legal issues on the extras themselves.

I know I am being a wee bit defensive here as I, as well as my colleagues, take my job seriously.

Thanks for reading :)

edited for clarity :)
Come on now. You need to get ahold of a word processing program and a Casio keyboard. No manual or soundtrack present? Make them yourself! You're not trying hard enough! ;)
JudasIscariot: Excuse me for barging into TET's area here but as one of the folks responsible for ensuring the games have the most amount of goodies I feel I should clarify this: there are times when a game has a) nothing but the manual even in the original release b) in the case of indie games, we do what we can with what we get and c) sometimes the extras don't approved because of legal issues on the extras themselves.

I know I am being a wee bit defensive here as I, as well as my colleagues, take my job seriously.

CarrionCrow: Come on now. You need to get ahold of a word processing program and a Casio keyboard. No manual or soundtrack present? Make them yourself! You're not trying hard enough! ;)
I am already scanning manuals but making them is a wee bit beyond me. After all, I wasn't hired for my lack of Photoshopping/manual making/musical talents :)
hedwards: I'm not so sure about that. You guys have at this point sold out absolutely every value you were pushing in the early days save the lack of DRM. I'm not sure what he could possibly say that's going to make people overlook the fact that we've effectively been lied to and used.

DLC separate from the base game, region free pricing, no releases without goodies, classic games only, games without massive widespread compatibility issues.

In other words, don't count on us getting over this any time soon. If this were just one thing, I think people would probably be less riled up, but it's been a long road and the trajectory is directly toward a normal mainstream store.

I take it you don't remember when those EA games came and there was that whole fight about them not including any goodies.

I was mostly fine with assurances that somebody would find goodies, but the point is that prior to that, games wouldn't be released without something meaningful. And at that point there GOG still had credibility.

Since then things have slid even more and each time it's harder and harder to take assurances seriously.

I doubt very much that TET likes being in this sort of situation with having to prop this up with PR bullshit. I can't personally believe that he believes half of what he's been saying in this thread.
I do not like this, because in other cases the prices seems to be higher in Germany in comparison to the UK.
You can easily import the retail version of a game, but you can not import keys.
high rated
TheEnigmaticT: We do, actually, have some games that I'm pretty sure will have people giddy with glee once they show up on GOG
There you have it folks, Goat Simulator confirmed.
TheEnigmaticT: We do, actually, have some games that I'm pretty sure will have people giddy with glee once they show up on GOG
Errr... bring 'em on then?? I mean, how many pages should this topic still generate?
Ichwillnichtmehr: You were arguing, that GOG.com was not abandoning one of their their core values, but rather "adding" to their core values.

You have not yet supported your argument, with anything other than: "It's what I feel"

For your argument to have merit, you will need something more.
VoxDeNube: I was sharing my opinion. I wasn't arguing or trying to change your opinion. If I would for example said to you, that I prefer mineral water over lemonade, would I also need to tell you all about it and why I prefer it? I just do and that's all there is to it. I don't have to explain or prove anything, neither am I trying. You don't like my opinion? Fair enough. People are different. I understand that you feel ripped-off by these news, regional pricing is unfair, I agree. There's all that there is to it. I'm done with the conversation.

PS.
'It's what I feel' part was an example. Sad that you didn't get it.
Your example doesn't apply here.

It's not about what you or I personally prefer, it's about GOG.com going back on one of their core values, something they said they would not do.

Before:

Mineral water and lemonade, with a flat price for customers around the world.

Now:

Mineral water and lemonade.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Ichwillnichtmehr
high rated

hedwards: I take it you don't remember when those EA games came and there was that whole fight about them not including any goodies.

I was mostly fine with assurances that somebody would find goodies, but the point is that prior to that, games wouldn't be released without something meaningful. And at that point there GOG still had credibility.

Since then things have slid even more and each time it's harder and harder to take assurances seriously.

I doubt very much that TET likes being in this sort of situation with having to prop this up with PR bullshit. I can't personally believe that he believes half of what he's been saying in this thread.
You have to keep in mind that everything that comes with a game has to be approved by the IP/rights holder. So yes, we DO find the extras and we submit them for approval but if the holder of the IP says "No", then we have to comply with their wishes. Also, keep in mind that we add extras after the game gets released. We've had updates to Ubi games, some EA games, etc. and yes, the updates do come around erratically but they do come around.

Also, I remember the "whole fight", as you put it, with the expansions for the various EA games more than the goodies part :)
high rated
The point with all this rage is that people are just not willing to sacrifice what makes gog so great and unique just for "some great games". I can get great games at Steam. But I can't get them DRM free with a one world price and censorship free state. If gog removes too much of this (I certainly hope we'll never reach that state) I just lose my reason to buy here. :/

I mean Steam already managed to add Linux support, while I have to fiddle around manually with wine and doxbox to get my gog games running there. Until now I always wished that gog takes that step at some point and removes my reason to buy at Steam.