It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Yup, gog just lost a bunch of credit from me. Wondering when the "Oh sorry guys, we're putting DRM back because of so and so BS corporate reason." There is business, and there is screwing over the consumer business. Thanks Gog.
Niggles: I did say both GMG and Humble had to bend over recently, got to wonder which publisher or publishers colluded together (my theory)...it cant be a coincidence...
saberwolfxm: I made a comment on this a few pages back. My money is on Bethesda and zenimax (samething) after the fallouts where removed from gog they made the comment that the were going to get the games back on steam first because they were currently not a partner with gog that they would look into it later. Couple that and how the treat some of the people they outsource their games to make and you can see them doing something like this.
Im actually curious whether it is them. Reason i ask is, Fallout games were being sold here for the same price as on GOG 9.99 each. Were the prices for fallouts regionally priced before? (i never checked).
This may not count for much, but I have already bought something that I was going to grab here directly from the developer.

The pricing thing is one thing, but the stance that they will probably sell censored and region locked games here in the future has totally put me off for now as mentioned in this post (http://www.gog.com/forum/general/announcement_big_preorders_launch_day_releases_coming/post909)

Maybe you can win back some trust in the future, but not for now. I really hope you can turn around because you are one of my favourite retailers.
Disgusting, this goes against everything(that I thought) GOG stood for, whoevers decision it was to implement this pricing model should be canned. I will think twice before purchasing from here again if this is going through.

Edit:If you want to iknow what GOG thought last year about this(courtesy of reddit) search in youtube for "The Regional Ripoff: Why Can't Gaming Be Fair?"

GOG is aware of what they are doing...
Post edited February 22, 2014 by jolgore
No?
Edit: Seeing the other replies, I guess it was before or something?
Post edited February 22, 2014 by SCPM
I don't think GOG will drop DRM-free anytime soon. This is their USP. If they drop that, there would be no incentive to prefer them over Steam.

Still, as a German I'm a bit afraid. Once bitten twice shy as they say. Regional prices mean regional checking and that could very easily mean region checks to what is available and what isn't. It could lead to censorship. For me the availabilty of world-wide editions of games (not green-blooded "German" versions) was one of the main reasons to join here.

I don't need another Steam where people can't activate their UK-bought Manhunt 2 (n/a in Germany) because it's blocked.
saberwolfxm: I made a comment on this a few pages back. My money is on Bethesda and zenimax (samething) after the fallouts where removed from gog they made the comment that the were going to get the games back on steam first because they were currently not a partner with gog that they would look into it later. Couple that and how the treat some of the people they outsource their games to make and you can see them doing something like this.
Niggles: Im actually curious whether it is them. Reason i ask is, Fallout games were being sold here for the same price as on GOG 9.99 each. Were the prices for fallouts regionally priced before? (i never checked).
Not sure, I never bought them off of gog I got them free when the did the giveaway. I already had a physical 3 pack box I got for $20 so I cant be sure. I know they used to be $5.99 a while ago then I came back and they were $9.99 along with almost all the interplay catalog. But as far a regional pricing I cant say.
jorlin: I managed to save the video at his link for posterity, video AND audio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6P3yOTR2Vc&t=1194
This video is lengthier, but it goes into much more detail as to why regional pricing is a bad idea.
Be certain to download it, just in case it also gets pulled. Thanks for the link.
jolgore: Disgusting, this goes against everything(that I thought) GOG stood for, whoevers decision it was to implement this pricing model should be canned. I will think twice before purchasing from here again if this is going through.
Bit simplistic but blame it on the people who kept going on and on about wanting AAA games here....
Well they got their wish.
But at what cost??????.
Hope they are happy now. Lot of us arent (even though some are willing to see what actually happens)
ZPavelZ: The question I have, however, is how would GOG handle inter-regional gifting then? I mean look at Steam and you'd understand my idea. ;)
How does Steam do it?
TheEnigmaticT: ...I think the fact that we're offering them for the same price as any other store in the world means that we're not necessarily directly competitive on price, but that's okay because selling on pricing is never a smart play in the long term. ...
This is also interesting. Is this a sign that there is not enough competition in the sellers market to allow for really different prices? Or is the competition dysfunctional because the producer is always the same and the product is everywhere the same and the effort is approximately the same, the profit margin is kind of an industry standard and finally prices are administered anyway. What is the sense in having more than one or two distribution channels? Let's say one with DRM and one without.
ZPavelZ: The question I have, however, is how would GOG handle inter-regional gifting then? I mean look at Steam and you'd understand my idea. ;)
notpayingforgame: How does Steam do it?
The publisher can decide if it should be allowed or not.
Post edited February 22, 2014 by Trilarion
high rated
TheEnigmaticT: ... We don't set pricing for any game we sell. If we find the terms too onerous, we can elect to not sell it, but that's fundamentally our only rights when it comes to the titles on GOG.com. The fact that we have an audience for the games we sell means that we get a certain amount of negotiation power, but this is a case where, for the companies where they have set up regional pricing have contracts with retail chains and other digital distributors and they're not gonna break their covenants just to make us happy. Either we provide them with regional pricing or we don't sell their game. Simple as that.
What this means for me is that I'll probably be spending less money here. The gift codes I bought for doing giveaways (a significant portion of my purchases here) were largely purchased in the interest of supporting an organization that seemed to reliably stick to its code of ethics (and benefiting the great forum community here.) This (sort of like the earlier introduction of DLC) shows a willingness to significantly compromise that code of ethics for a perceived potential of quick growth. I'll be less willing to make a purchase from "just another company" unless I'm really sure I want the game, and I'll definitely be entirely unwilling to buy for online strangers in the interest of supporting such a company. With every core value GOG strikes from its list, my enthusiasm and willingness to purchase will decline.
Simple as that.

I'm surprised there wasn't even a survey about this as with the DLC introduction, which didn't even strike a core value from the info page.
Post edited February 22, 2014 by rawmilk905
GOG staff must be banging their heads against the wall.

Purchasing: Good news, we can offer new AAA games but unfortunately they require regional pricing

Owners: Great. I know the regional pricing sucks but surely having more drm-free games will make our customers happy in the end.

CS: Bad news. The community is going insane over it. Threatening to leave and buy the same games elsewhere with the exact same regional pricing issues.

Owners/Purchasing: Why do we even bother? Maybe we shouldn't. The more we try to expand into other gaming markets the more they bitch about it.
Post edited February 22, 2014 by Kabuto
toxicTom: I don't think GOG will drop DRM-free anytime soon. This is their USP. If they drop that, there would be no incentive to prefer them over Steam. ...
But it would probably mean so many more games we could have on GOG. Maybe people would prefer to have the choice over not having any choice. They could do it like Humble Bundle is doing it: if it moves, sell it, everything goes.
Kabuto: ...Owners/Purchasing: Why do we even bother? Maybe we shouldn't. The more we try to expand into other gaming markets the more they bitch about it.
Maybe if they would have just used new subdomaina for it.

limited.gog.com or
regionlocked.gog.com or

northamerica.gog.com
euminusromania.gog.com

or

withdrm.gog.com

Then it would be easier to keep track of what's going on. :)
Post edited February 22, 2014 by Trilarion
SCPM: No?
Edit: Seeing the other replies, I guess it was before or something?
It looks like they restored it.

Smart move, the first one since this whole "Regional Rip Off"-thing was announced.
Post edited February 22, 2014 by Ichwillnichtmehr