It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Bloodygoodgames: LOL, and I do have to laugh at the three people questioning my morals.

All three are Americans, so all three are people who won't be affected by regional pricing on GOG at all.

ROTFL - no surprise there.

"It doesn't affect me, so why should I worry about it".

Typical.
CarrionCrow: That doesn't make sense. Granted, I haven't dug through the numbers, but going by what others on this thread have said, Russians get the same game as myself for less money. Assuming for a moment that the information is correct, doesn't that mean I'm being affected by it?
US prices are the benchmark, so no, you won't be affected. The Russian will be affected. As will the Russian's equally poor Polish comrade who gets to pay enough to cover for the both of them.
CarrionCrow: It makes the position look a bit flimsier when someone rails against a concept, but then is okay with it so long as the right modifiers are in play. If nothing else, it turns into the pot calling the kettle black real quick.
Selderij: If two stores sell an identical product at the same price, and one of those stores heavily disappointed you in the past, are you likely to take your business to that store again just for old times' sake?
But that's not what she's saying. She's claiming she's a better person because she's purchasing a product at a lower price. One of those things is not like the other.

If she said 'GOG has disappointed me, I'm purchasing elsewhere' that would be one thing. But she's saying 'Regional pricing is wrong, and my decision to purchase from another vendor whose regional prices favor me makes me a better person.'
Selderij: If two stores sell an identical product at the same price, and one of those stores heavily disappointed you in the past, are you likely to take your business to that store again just for old times' sake?
HGiles: But that's not what she's saying. She's claiming she's a better person because she's purchasing a product at a lower price. One of those things is not like the other.

If she said 'GOG has disappointed me, I'm purchasing elsewhere' that would be one thing. But she's saying 'Regional pricing is wrong, and my decision to purchase from another vendor whose regional prices favor me makes me a better person.'
In that case you're probably reading what you want it to read.
CarrionCrow: That doesn't make sense. Granted, I haven't dug through the numbers, but going by what others on this thread have said, Russians get the same game as myself for less money. Assuming for a moment that the information is correct, doesn't that mean I'm being affected by it?
Selderij: US prices are the benchmark, so no, you won't be affected. The Russian will be affected. As will the Russian's equally poor Polish comrade who gets to pay enough to cover for the both of them.
Okay, fair enough. I wouldn't buy the games in question then. All the back and forth, all the shit (130 plus frigging pages of it and counting) and it all comes down to that. You can argue individual points, discuss your level of feeling betrayed (all the way from slightly miffed to "GOG anally raped my mother while pouring sugar in my gas tank (gotta love Clerks references)), or do everything but forecast the day, hour and minute that GOG will implode for its sins, leaving the staff to spend the rest of their lives in a constant state of repentant self-flagellation, but in the end it's all about numbers. Don't buy it, numbers suck, back to the drawing board.

Edit - Make that 160 plus. For crying out loud.
Post edited February 25, 2014 by CarrionCrow
Niggles: Please dont compare prices for games in an Indie bundle to store prices. Not the same thing mate
AND its already been pointed out a few times - soundtracks are outsourced in a lot of instances for indie games - devs have no control over their inclusion to sale product on GOG
WireHead: Sorry, like I said, that was a rant and, like most rants, is probably full of incorrectly explained ideas and feelings. I wasn't trying to compare prices, I was trying to show my dismay over the fact that GOG's release of those said games still, to this day, continue to be inferior, as it has been since the day of release.

Regarding the soundtracks, I understand that some indie games "outsource" the soundtracks, and have it for sale in other stores. And although I would prefer in this situations to be able to buy the game here, for a higher price, but with the soundtracks, I still understand it could be a case of "that's the way the contract was possibly to be made". But then, how come do the soundtracks appear in a bundle, before they even appear here before? To me, a GOG client, that get's the impression of "oh, hey, sorry about that, here's a slap on your face for hoping this would come to GOG".

I'm not saying it's GOG's fault, the dev's, or anyone else... but the fact still remains that there's something rotten here..

And, then there are the King's Art games (in this case, the "outsourcing" stuff doesn't comply)... I can still understand these were the releases for the cheaper prices GOG could manage to get here, but then, why aren't the "deluxe" editions available, also? Specially that now, there are available as dirt cheap?

I wasn't expecting them to be here, dirt cheap. I was expecting them to be here, period!

I think the message I was trying to pass is: "I'm trying to give you my money GOG, but on some occasions, you don't seem too interested".
Probabably bacause of law issues or other stuff.
Forexample woud it be fair to sell us Soundtrack if the soundtrack have been part of a kickstarter exclusive?
The answer to this question in the short run woud be no, it woudnt be fair for those that backed the project that was promised the music woudnt appear outside of kickstarter.
Post edited February 25, 2014 by Lodium
Selderij: US prices are the benchmark, so no, you won't be affected. The Russian will be affected. As will the Russian's equally poor Polish comrade who gets to pay enough to cover for the both of them.
CarrionCrow: Okay, fair enough. I wouldn't buy the games in question then. All the back and forth, all the shit (130 plus frigging pages of it and counting) and it all comes down to that. You can argue individual points, discuss your level of feeling betrayed (all the way from slightly miffed to "GOG anally raped my mother while pouring sugar in my gas tank (gotta love Clerks references)), or do everything but forecast the day, hour and minute that GOG will implode for its sins, leaving the staff to spend the rest of their lives in a constant state of repentant self-flagellation, but in the end it's all about numbers. Don't buy it, numbers suck, back to the drawing board.
You can leave the thread anytime you want if being tired of reading it is your point here. Press the x in the top right and chillax.
HGiles: But that's not what she's saying. She's claiming she's a better person because she's purchasing a product at a lower price. One of those things is not like the other.

Selderij: In that case you're probably reading what you want it to read.
It was the "they have pirated material too" part that speaks to the need for a demonstration of moral superiority. When you say "I can get it cheaper somewhere else", that's a statement of fact. When you say, "I can get it cheaper somewhere else, and they sell pirated stuff too if I want it", the insinuation is that you're morally above such action, even in the face of on-hand availability. Repeating the sentiment in regards to DVD's reinforces the thought.

Additional - I'm fully aware of how to close a web page. If I wished to leave, I'd have done so. But then I'd be missing out on such interesting conversation. ;)

Additional additional - My intent wasn't to express being tired of reading. In that case, I'd have left and saved myself the typing. I am offering concrete advice to any and all that find the current situation disagreeable. Sentiment's great, passion's great, but neither one match up to the cold hard brutality of numbers that are half of what you wanted them to be.
Post edited February 25, 2014 by CarrionCrow
wvpr: In five years, traditional Windows PCs could on their way out like the last generations of Playstation and Xbox. Steam will have its own Linux console. Phones and tablets with proprietary stores will keep attracting money and development. A lot of things are changing rapidly, and soon enough there might not be such a thing as the PC game market we have now. I don't think GOG's actions in regards to pricing will have a major effect on those larger forces. At worst, they'll lose so many customers they can't keep going, but if they do keep going they'll eventually need to make much bigger changes to stay relevant to modern computing, or return to their roots providing older software to older machines and Linux on a smaller scale.

Steam can go off and do its own thing if necessary. Other stores don't have that option, whether they're tied to Steam or tied to PCs. I expect most of them realize that, but it's worth keeping in mind when considering their future.
RawSteelUT: Not entirely sure I agree. Maybe it's because I've been hearing that for so many years now. Not that long ago, mobile phones were supposed to render dedicated gaming handhelds dead, but the 3DS is Nintendo's breadwinner and selling stupidly well. We're certainly doing more with non-traditional devices, but I'm not sure five years is enough time for a complete phase out, if it ever happens. MS could salvage the PR disaster that Windows 8 has been and really make Win 9 awesome, and all talk of there not being future consoles after this generation are hilarious fantasies cooked up by people with a vested interest in cloud and mobile gaming, the former of which is a wild fantasy for much of the world and the latter having been consigned to the ghetto of free-to-play and ad-based gaming.

No one knows what will happen in the future, but I feel pretty comfortable in saying that reports of the death of the PC and gaming console have been highly exaggerated.
I'm not trying to say it'll happen that way. There will be PC's for a long time to come. But all it takes for Windows computers to start drying up is for the next Windows to crash and burn, and MS to make bad decisions trying to recover. Or for phones to eclipse MS so much that a phone company buys them out one day. It sounds crazy, but in computing the status quo can shift fast. Remember 3DFX? The pinnacle one year, gone the next.

It's hard to find fresh parts for computers built years ago. When Kodak stopped making popular lines of film, labs stopped developing it, and soon enough there was no easy way to use that film no matter how well your camera worked. Computers are the same way. Niche demand isn't enough to keep the big chipmakers in business. They go where the money is, and projects like DOSBox try to make up the difference. Right now it's easy to download software from third parties and run it on compatible hardware. Will that be true in 5 years? I can envision Steam moving a large number of PC gamers and game makers over to Linux, Microsoft successfully bottling up Windows through their app store, Google handling everything else PC-related, and companies like GOG left selling whatever's left to sell to a dwindling number of do-it-yourselfers. It doesn't have to happen that way, but to happen, it only requires a few big companies to shift course.
RawSteelUT: Not entirely sure I agree. Maybe it's because I've been hearing that for so many years now. Not that long ago, mobile phones were supposed to render dedicated gaming handhelds dead, but the 3DS is Nintendo's breadwinner and selling stupidly well. We're certainly doing more with non-traditional devices, but I'm not sure five years is enough time for a complete phase out, if it ever happens. MS could salvage the PR disaster that Windows 8 has been and really make Win 9 awesome, and all talk of there not being future consoles after this generation are hilarious fantasies cooked up by people with a vested interest in cloud and mobile gaming, the former of which is a wild fantasy for much of the world and the latter having been consigned to the ghetto of free-to-play and ad-based gaming.

No one knows what will happen in the future, but I feel pretty comfortable in saying that reports of the death of the PC and gaming console have been highly exaggerated.
wvpr: I'm not trying to say it'll happen that way. There will be PC's for a long time to come. But all it takes for Windows computers to start drying up is for the next Windows to crash and burn, and MS to make bad decisions trying to recover. Or for phones to eclipse MS so much that a phone company buys them out one day. It sounds crazy, but in computing the status quo can shift fast. Remember 3DFX? The pinnacle one year, gone the next.

It's hard to find fresh parts for computers built years ago. When Kodak stopped making popular lines of film, labs stopped developing it, and soon enough there was no easy way to use that film no matter how well your camera worked. Computers are the same way. Niche demand isn't enough to keep the big chipmakers in business. They go where the money is, and projects like DOSBox try to make up the difference. Right now it's easy to download software from third parties and run it on compatible hardware. Will that be true in 5 years? I can envision Steam moving a large number of PC gamers and game makers over to Linux, Microsoft successfully bottling up Windows through their app store, Google handling everything else PC-related, and companies like GOG left selling whatever's left to sell to a dwindling number of do-it-yourselfers. It doesn't have to happen that way, but to happen, it only requires a few big companies to shift course.
Oh, anything can happen, of course. I just find that people are way too quick to crown the new king. 3DFX dying out was out of the blue, a result of monumental wastefulness and competition from nVidia. Really, it's the perfect bit of evidence that predictions are usually so far off, and that real change comes from so far from left field it's not even funny.
RawSteelUT: 3DFX dying out was out of the blue
Really? Releasing the same thing constantly with higher clocks are more power draw wasn't a hint?
Oh dear ... you don't visit GOG.com for several days, and then you find there's been a 3000+ post sh*tstorm going on while you've not been paying attention! Apologies to those who are already royally bored with this forum, but some of us only just got here.

GOG - it seems you're intent on bringing in regional pricing (on new releases, at least) but you also say you only accept payment in US Dollars, and therefore we'll be seeing regionally-adjusted prices in US Dollars. Is that about the size of it?

You do realise that those of us who do not live in countries that use the US Dollar and who make payments to you in US Dollars are ALREADY paying marked-up prices that exceed the apparent price? Credit card companies charge us conversion fees for foreign-currency purchases. PayPal sets its own (inflated) conversion rate, skimming a percentage for every dollar spent. Etc.

Therefore, if you're intending to charge us regionally-adjusted (i.e. increased) Dollar prices, we'll also be paying commensurately increased conversion-rates on top of that, further inflating the "real" price we pay. Surely the least you can do, if you're going to regionally-adjust prices, is also accept regional currencies - thereby removing the additional percentage of wallet-gouging that we'll incur from currency-conversion fees?
ghostgate2001: Oh dear ... you don't visit GOG.com for several days, and then you find there's been a 3000+ post sh*tstorm going on while you've not been paying attention! Apologies to those who are already royally bored with this forum, but some of us only just got here.
Dont worry. U havent missed much. Most of the conversation has been going around in circles repeatly -

1) people think GOG will die
2) people saying they wont buy stuff from here anymore (as if they will get most of the drm free content elsewhere)
3) discussions of regional pricing and implications
4) gog losing its morals (some people are quite upset about this)
4) which games are coming. kickstarter games (some) seem to be doing the regional thing
5) TeT saying there will be a bit more detail tomorrow - the head honcho CEO will have a few words.....
6) someone saying someone has a stick up their ***
7) economic theories

Probably missed a few things :D
Niggles: 5) TeT saying there will be a bit more detail tomorrow - the head honcho CEO will have a few words.....
I thought it would be a youtube video fo the CEO eating his hat (or TeT brains, whichever is crunchier ;)
Niggles: 5) TeT saying there will be a bit more detail tomorrow - the head honcho CEO will have a few words.....
mangamuscle: I thought it would be a youtube video fo the CEO eating his hat (or TeT brains, whichever is crunchier ;)
Oh gross. No more zombie stuff pls!! :P
Haha! Thanks for the helpful summary! "Previously on the GOG sh*tstorm..." :-)
(I did catch sight of some of that "stick up the ass" stuff - it was around there that I decided to stop reading...)
Niggles: Oh gross. No more zombie stuff pls!! :P
Itchy, tasty?

(now there's a game that's not on GOG and really should be...)
Post edited February 25, 2014 by ghostgate2001